2000
Family/Kids
Inside a snowflake exists the magical land of Whoville. In Whoville, live the Who's, an almost mutated sort of munchkinlike people. All the Who's love Christmas, yet just outside of their beloved Whoville lives the Grinch, a nasty creature that hates Christmas, and plots to steal it away from the Whos which he equally abhors. Yet a small child, Cindy Lou Who, decides to try befriend the Grinch.

2000
Family/Kids

Rated 13 Oct 2021
Ugly, unpleasant, and obnoxious. The original cartoon did the story far better, and in 1/3 of the time. Also, who smeared Vaseline on the camera lens?
Rated 04 Feb 2009
I find the fact they put a white man in Green Face for this film highly racist, and feel it turns back the clock on equality in Hollywood.
Rated 23 May 2011
Take your paws off my childhood
Rated 18 Apr 2009
On second watch, I realize I was really unfair to this film. It's not a masterpiece, but it's actually funny and Jim Carrey does a better than good job playing the classic character. I... I can't believe I'm saying this, but I really enjoyed watching it. Maybe all the criticism in the air soured me before my first viewing or maybe I'm just in the holiday spirit. Either way, hooray for the Grinch I guess?
Rated 16 Dec 2006
At one point the Grinch hails a taxi, but when the cab driver sees that he's the Grinch he speeds off. The Grinch then says "It's because I'm green, isn't it?!" That was kind of funny.
A wholly cynical cash-in of a film, with ugly, garish set designs and mind-numbing songs. The lowest point in the pathetic career of Ron Howard.
Rated 31 Mar 2008
I cannot believe this movie made so much fucking money.
Rated 17 Aug 2007
There is a Grinch, and he steals Christmas, but that's where the similarities end. The Whos down in Whoville are opposite from how Seuss portrayed them, and the original moral (Christmas not being about material goods) is replaced with "You shouldn't be mean to people just because they're different." 'Cause that's only moral allowed in children's movies nowadays.
Rated 04 Dec 2016
Jim Carrey mugging for the camera is too much for me to handle. I am not sure whose attempt at turning an animated character into real life was worse: Carrey or Myers. The Grinch feels like it was filmed during a perpetual haze, and it's all dingy and dark.
Rated 27 Dec 2019
Ron Howard pulls a Kubrick and torments his lead for an anguished performance. Maybe it's because I forgot how the book/cartoon went, maybe it's because as of December 2019 I'm numb to the glut of live-action remakes (and in a timeline with so many beat-for-beat adaptations I don't mind a less-than-faithful iteration of an older work), I thought it was alright. Still has a decent message, the supporting cast is fun, Carrey brings the right personality.
Rated 26 Dec 2017
Maybe I wasn't in the right state of mind, but I honestly found most of Carrey's over the top mugging as Grinch to be kind of painful. And I'm unconvinced that, even with the subplots and extra characters and backstory inserted, that this story really has a feature length plot in it. The main things the film has going for it are Dr. Seuss's original prose in the narration, its sets and visual design, and the generally adorable Cindy Lou Who.
Rated 20 Dec 2020
Rewatch: It's actually not as bad as I remembered. I enjoyed Jim Carrey's Grinch, but some of the ‘heartfelt' moments didn't really work.
Rated 10 Dec 2008
There was zero (let me repeat that: ZERO) way to improve on the perfect Chuck Jones 1964 adaptation of the Dr. Seuss book. And yet they had to try. I have but three words about this: stink....Stank....STUNK!
Rated 21 Jul 2007
As terrible as it looks.
Dr. Seuss books should never be made into feature length films. Think Cat in the Hat. Now let me repeat my first statement: Dr. Seuss books should never be made into feature length films. No amount of makeup and fur can turn Carrey into the Grinch of my childhood. This movie is quite poor. I know, the studios are in it for the money, that's why films like this are made. But this was just blatent commercialization. Phooey. I'd rather watch a seasick crocidile,
Rated 13 Dec 2019
Giving the Grinch a backstory and making the Whos materialistic and snobby creates an interesting new dynamic but it means the mountaintop climax where the Grinch learns the meaning of Christmas misses the mark entirely: it was the Whos alone who needed redemption for their consumerism and fear-mongering; the Grinch just needed some love (and speaking of, the Cindy-Lou/Grinch relationship is a cute one). The film looks pretty bad, but Carrey's wisecracking, slapstick schtick is fun as always.
Rated 27 Aug 2007
Hideous.
Rated 17 Aug 2007
If you don't know the original book, this movie is bizarre, almost scary.
Rated 12 May 2015
The Grinch was probably just grumpy because the smell of the towns farts rose up the mountain. Remember, hot air rises.
Rated 08 Dec 2021
On rewatch this really isn't that bad. I'm not into the art style or the character design, but there's not room if you want to transform the Dr. Seuss art style into live action. While the animated version is a classic, this one at least tries to add some plot and heart. They obviously had to add filler such as the award ceremony, but it fits. I'd watch this again, especially with kids. Fav scene: that ridiculous light-up sweater on Carrey.
Rated 23 Aug 2015
Jim Carrey is pretty amazing in this. The rest.. not so much
Utterly charmless and creepy. Ron Howard should be ashamed for having horribly tainted the childhood memories of millions.
Rated 20 May 2007
Go watch the original short, it might not be a feature but it's a hell of a lot more entertaining than this.
Rated 12 Jul 2013
Cindy Lou Who the fuck cares?
Rated 01 May 2009
They're swingers.
Rated 25 Dec 2017
every face in this movie makes me so uncomfortable
Rated 21 Feb 2007
The dog in the film steals the show.
Rated 10 Aug 2008
This is children's entertainment? A Loud, dumb mess.
Just plain bad... Carrey was okay, he made his buck. There is no other redeeming feature here. Let's all just forget about this one... That's about all there is to say.
Rated 03 Oct 2009
Do not like
Rated 04 Jan 2018
The story does feel a little bit like filler material for the most part from the process of padding the run time. The filming style is also a bit too dirty looking for some reason. How The Grinch Stole Christmas benefits greatly from Jim Carrey's amazing work as the title creature. Even beyond the makeup he still proves himself a personality and charismatic performer unique entertainer never to be forgotten.
Rated 02 Jul 2009
Jim Carrey's manic performance elevates the movie to overcome for the fact that it is still too long and over-extended. The stuff from the book is great, but the other hour only passes because of Carrey.
Rated 23 Dec 2016
Rated 27 Nov 2008
There are brief moments where the true potential of this film shines through. However, they are extremely brief, not to mention few and far between. Generally not entertaining, neither for the children it targets nor the adults it panders to.
Rated 07 Nov 2020
Not a great film by any means. A bit of a guilty pleasure if you will. (Born of childhood nostalgia)
Rated 25 Mar 2009
whenever i see this film it reminds me of nuclear family's it is just to bloody nice for my liking
Rated 01 Jun 2008
Fair. Carrey could have done better.
Rated 14 Dec 2021
Just as Orson Welles is Falstaff, Jim Carrey is The Grinch. As such, my rating reflects my appreciation for Carrey's performance more so than the film as a whole (the less said about the Whos, the better). He's completely deranged but in a completely disciplined way. A one-of-a-kind performance.
Not bad. They definitely got the right guy to do the Grinch in Carey, but I think they misfired on pretty much every other role.
Rated 30 Jul 2007
Made like Uncle Ted's wang and ruined my childhood.
Rated 28 Oct 2009
I have to say that Jim Carrey really knows how to "become" the character he portrays. This movie was hilarious, but also great for the family.
Rated 18 Oct 2007
Finally! A good use for Jim Carey.
Rated 25 Dec 2016
It was eccentric( tries a bit too hard to be eccentric though) I should give it that. And boy, the physical stunts Jim Carrey can pull are a joy; particularly when there is not much else to focus on, they really shine. The lead kid actress was annoying beyond reason and overall it was a bit too loose for my taste; but it is an okay Christmas movie.
Rated 14 Sep 2018
Unfortunate misfire seems to have the ingredients of a fine adaptation; Carrey is excellent as the Grinch, he has an endearing supporting cast backing him up (though Momson is a little treacly) and some delightfully droll narration from Hopkins. The major problem is a screenplay padded out rather than developed to feature length, and an unwillingness to embrace the darker, sinister aspects of the story; the material screams out for Tim Burton in his prime. Enough smiles to make it watchable.
Rated 29 May 2012
Loud, brash and cold-hearted kids 'entertainment'. I wouldn't let my hypothetical future children near it.
Rated 19 Feb 2009
Carey is fun here and some of the additional scenes work well enough. However it was not really necessary to go into the Grinch's childhood.
Rated 13 Aug 2010
Good kids movie.
Rated 20 Dec 2013
Jim Carrey shines as the Grinch. Unfortunately, it's not enough to save this movie. You'd be better off watching the TV cartoon.
Rated 22 Aug 2008
Eh. I expected better things from this one.
Rated 02 Dec 2010
Meh.
Untraditional fun.
Rated 01 Sep 2011
I don't really mind this movie. It was fun enough to watch at Christmas.
Rated 03 Apr 2009
Absoluter Mist. Ich mag keinen einzigen dieser Reim Dich oder ich vergess mich Dr.Seuss möchtegern-Farbenfroh-Kinderfilme! Jim Carreys Maske ist zwar ganz klasse gemacht, doch bei seiner natürlichen Hackfresse bräuchte er die nicht einmal!
Rated 30 Mar 2021
Meh
Rated 26 Dec 2020
I could barely sit through this one and would not watch again in one hundred million years. It would probably be better if I was 20 years younger or mentally challenged.
Rated 13 Nov 2018
A Mini-Rewiew
A lot of this movie is weird and unfunny, but it gets to a point for about the last thirty-five minutes where everything is straight from the book, narration and all, and it soars. Pretty good!
Rated 29 Dec 2007
fuck this shit!
Rated 21 Aug 2008
Jim Carrey's Grinch was just too gleeful.
Rated 15 Oct 2008
Okay, I guess Jim carrey can live, but can we keep him in a box or something?
Rated 12 Dec 2018
There's a lot of pluses here and most of the studio inflicted minuses were kept in check. But the ensemble cast of Baranski/Tambor/Clint Howard/etc is fun and Carey was well suited and surprisingly brought a lot to the role. Rick Baker's make up is astonishing. The production design and practical effects are excellent (CGI not so much). Unfortunately the more adult moments feel out of place and the unnecessary backstory ultimately harms the simple message of Dr. Seuss' story. Recommended rental.
Rated 12 Sep 2022
Okay I know I said I love Dr. Seuss but not like this. We love you Taylor Momsen tho
Rated 13 Dec 2015
There's some great jokes in here (ex: the grinch's schedule), but it's ultimately a really unnecessary film that just happens to have a fun performance by Carrey.
Rated 06 Nov 2020
One of those bad-good films I watch at the holidays every year. I love Jim Carrey's performance as the Grinch but does it do or add anything to the canon/performance of the original Boris Karloff animation? Absolutely not but it is still a fun watch which I think only Jim Carrey could've pulled off with his rubber face and spastic form of comedy. Certainly better than the Benedict Cumberbatch animation.
Rated 01 Sep 2009
The little girl is adorable. Lily Tomlin cameo, yum.
Rated 02 Sep 2009
Not terrible. At least it's not Cat in the Hat.
Rated 07 Dec 2012
Yeah I'm still not big on this version. Lowest rated version of the story at this time.
Rated 04 May 2020
Jim carrey's incredible performance makes this movie from a Dr. Seuss story really wonderful
Rated 25 Dec 2009
I know it is not right to give points for a good song of a film nor the Christmas atmosphere, but the song is very good... while the atmosphere comes from our family and Carrey is better with a white skin in a serious movie.
The atmosphere of the movie was great. Unfortunately, not too much else was.
Rated 11 Mar 2007
CArrey plays this very specific character to perfection.
Rated 28 Jun 2007
Carrey is funny up to a point, but Howard's direction is so bland, and the whole thing feels disturbingly artificial.
Rated 20 Dec 2015
A movie that's even more loathsome than the people in that live in the Grinch's town. Yes, I mean that. One thing I find funny about the Grinch's story, especially in the case of this movie, is that the Grinch isn't even all that bad of a person so much as he's a victim of the nearby towns assholery and ignorance. So I'm suppose to think of the town as loving, caring people when they fully support bullying the Grinch for being different while also being driven by holiday materialism?
Rated 03 Feb 2009
Obnoxious film
Rated 12 May 2012
Jim Carrey is phenomenal!
Rated 21 Mar 2007
Relatively simple remake or revisioning of Dr. Seuss' all time classic.
Rated 25 Sep 2007
This movie should have been titled, "how the Whos ostracized the Grinch." I hope Dr. Suess is spitting on the makers of this movie from heaven.
Rated 04 Mar 2013
This piece of cinematic detritus takes the original story and drowns it under a frozen lake. It does manage to earn some points for having some relatively decent cinematography and POTENTIAL. It at least TRIES to be like the source while creating some originality. But Jim Carrey is about as Grinch-like as Ace Ventura. He plays the same character.
Rated 05 Nov 2013
Re-watching this recently taught me how important it is to completely disregard anything I thought about anything when I was a child.
Rated 19 Oct 2007
Funnier than we thought it would be. Entertaining.
Rated 20 Mar 2007
Jim Carrey physically tortured himself to pull off this role and it became his highest-grossing domestic film. Cheers. As for the movie itself? For a holiday picture, it's pretty good.
Rated 29 Jan 2012
I'm completely neutral towards this. It's not filled with nostalgia and it didn't ruin a childhood so I'm neither a defender nor a hater. Just watch the original.
Rated 16 Apr 2007
Don't get me wrong Carrey provides a nice performance as the Grinch, but the rest of the film is just so tortuously bad it ruins the whole experience.
Rated 28 Dec 2008
Take a classic 60's short animation that needs no improvement, add Jim Carey being his usual manic self remove any reference to the Dr Seuss genre and you end up with this ... Not up to much.
Rated 05 Dec 2015
A-
Rated 07 Jul 2010
Nowhere near as good as the cartoon, but still a half-decent retelling of a timeless classic.
Nice to look at as a set piece, but unbearable in every other way.
Rated 30 Apr 2011
Christine Baranski
Rated 02 Jan 2013
Ugh. Get it off the screen.
Rated 25 Mar 2009
stick to the much superior animated version....
Rated 24 Oct 2009
Bad just bad
Rated 24 Feb 2007
...I liked it. I really did. Very few jokes fall flat for me. Carrey's diabolical, almost Connery-sounding Grinch is delightful. Lots of funny silliness.
Rated 16 Jun 2012
Ghastly
Rated 21 Aug 2012
Did nothing for me.
I didn't think I would like this, how could you do a better Grinch than the animated one? JIm Carrie was brilliant in the way that only he can be. I didn't realize that Ron Howard was the director until just now. Opie continues to produce excellent movies.
Rated 25 Mar 2017
They took a rather sweet seasonal TV special for children and bloated it with a lot of over-acting (if one could even use the term "acting" for what goes on here), mugging that attains cynical proportions, truckloads of unnecessary crap. Unwatchable.
Rated 25 Feb 2015
It is always possible to fuck up WORSE than this, I suppose...
Rated 11 Mar 2016
Worldinasnowflake:P+echo-i'manidiot!-you'reanidiot!lol+rentsrejectedhim-sentbasketflyingagain-oldladiesraised-hotgirl/himlikedeachother-triedshavingforher-broughtgift-kidslaughedatcutssowreckedgifts/tree+shemakeshimwinaward/comeforit+swarmedwithxmasevents-workstilshavergiftlaughter-mayorproposetohotgirl-allyourgiftscometomeinyourgarbage-wrecks+abusesmaxtoomuchlol+herdadgladherobbedeverything-towntoo+perhapsxmasdoesntcomefromastore+finecuzsaidsorry-hotgirlwanthim+jimhadsomegoodoneliners
Rated 19 Dec 2008
Horrendous butchering of a beloved cartoon. Nothing more needs to be said.
Rated 22 Dec 2021
Several scenes are impressively cartoon-like for live action. But it felt like most of it just went on too long, or shouldn’t have been included in the first place. Would have worked better as a shorter film.