How to Train Your Dragon
How-to-Train-Your-Dragon

How to Train Your Dragon

2010
Family/Kids, Fantasy
A hapless young Viking who aspires to hunt dragons becomes the unlikely friend of a young dragon himself, and learns there may be more to the creatures than he assumed.
Freevee

Dreamworks first real steps away from being a second rate version of Pixar, the story may not be the most original, but I'll be damned if it isn't well told. It's a fun film, with some genuinely spectacular moments, and endearing characters. Well worth the watch.
With an incredibly deceptive title, this supposed instructional film is little more than a feel-good fantasy flick about Scottish vikings (what?) and dragons that don't exist. Meanwhile, those of us with real dragon problems still worry about them shitting the rug, because the definitive guide on how to train a dragon *still* does not exist.
A definite feel good movie, I don't really know why. I was just really happy when I left the theater. The dragons are all pretty cute, which coincides well with the story. The animation is really great and the voice acting is very good as well (finally Gerard Butler gets to do a movie without faking an American accent). It's great to see Dreamworks bring the goods so Pixar doesn't just dominate animation every year. Extra-kudos for taking a slight risk at the end. Recommended to all.
The dragon thing doesn't usually turn out very well on the movie screen (Reign of Fire, Dragonheart), that much is known. How to Train Your Dragon has a much more light-hearted take on the subject, and succeeds mightily. Spectacular visuals, well timed comedy, characters with heart, and.....vikings! (at least it's not goddamn pirates or something) The story itself isn't anything new, but the film itself is really a breath of fresh air. It's a rare thing indeed from Dreamworks, but bravo.
The dragon flights/fights were well animated especially the final showdown. Comedy wise it was definitely hit or miss, nothing really laugh out loud but the Nightwings face made me smile. Its also a story that is predictable so nothing new but it doesn't make impressing dad the main point which was welcome. Good movie that is at least a rental.

Submitted bydst7175dst7175 on 02 Mar 2010