2000
Romance
Chow Mo-wan rents a room in a Hong Kong apartment building. It's sheer coincidence that he moves in the same day that Su Li-zhen moves in next door. They never have a real conversation until Mr. Chow realizes that their respective spouses are having an affair. This discovery shocks both of them. Mr. Chow, feeling hurt and wishing to understand how the affair happened, begins finding excuses to spend time with Mrs. Chan. (USA Films)

2000
Romance

Rated 28 Jan 2007
"Mood" is right. Few directors can evoke a mood so thoroughly yet so gracefully as Wong. I love how he subtly uses visual and musical motifs as a way of establishing his own, private universe. Big-ups also to Christopher Doyle for his breathtaking cinematography; some of the shots here rank among the coolest, most ingenious, most beautiful I've ever seen. Needless to say, Tony Leung and especially Maggie Cheung are perfect as the would-be lovers. This is pretty much flawless.
Rated 02 Sep 2008
Wong Kar Wai's delicately-paced un-romance takes two married neighbors and visually manifests their longing through quiet dinner parties, stealed glances and almost-rendezvous. Where other films fail and this succeeds is in the culmination of desire: there really is none. If longing truly does make the heart grow fonder, then the characters will share their love for an (unhappy?) eternity. Its mystery, and its lush cinematography, keep this film truly beautiful and haunting.
Rated 20 Jun 2015
oh god, end it now. what an insufferable bourgeois wankfest. where did you get that purse? where did *you* get that tie? we both made sticky syrup the same night! let us cut a perfectly rendered slice of red meat at the same time, and cue contemplative music! honestly, it's as if WKW took some trashy pulp romance and filtered it through a high-class ultra-modern european-made kieslowski-approved 7000 megapixel camera. drama! romance! contemplation! a total fucking bore!
Rated 12 Jan 2009
Subtle romance that is elegant and efficient in both story and direction. Wonderfully restrained performances, beautiful music and rich use of colours. A finely crafted gem.
Rated 28 Oct 2008
The look of (doomed) love. Compositions to die for, colouring worth killing for. Never has the sight of two hearts breaking been prettier.
Rated 01 Jan 2009
A perfect movie. But more than that, too. I believe that this film is so good, it is not only the finest film ever made, but that it is the finest film that could ever possibly be made. It sits on top of the pile of cinema the way Lolita would on a book shelf. I am not given to hyperbole in this direction (I tend to hate things with great passion) but you cannot consider your favorite film justified until you have compared it with this one. Beautiful, divine, perfect.
Rated 01 Jan 2009
Beautiful. Every scene and every shot is crafted with delicacy and precision. After my second viewing, I'm convinced that this is one of the few perfect films ever made.
Rated 27 Jan 2007
The most beautiful love story ever shot. Every frame of this masterpiece will make you realize: this is real cinema.
Rated 09 May 2007
Wong evokes the feeling of doomed love with mannered (some might say claustrophobic) compositions that could probably best be described in terms of their similarities to a straitjacket, with the repetition of score and scene suggesting no end to the cycle of submerged longing, the inescapability of the would-be lovers' situation.
Yes, it's all very beautiful, the sets and costumes are gorgeous, the performances from Leung and Cheung are fantastic. That still doesn't save this movie from being hopelessly boring.
Rated 13 Sep 2009
I hate to have to call the emperor out on his new clothes, but this is sort of like a crappy version of Brief Encounter and it bored the hell out of me. I would have dosed off but sadly, the obstinately repetitive, very annoying musical soundtrack kept me awake.
Rated 17 Aug 2011
An understated ballet of restrained longing, as two would-be lovers deny their feelings for one another merely for the sake of propriety. It's a heartbreaking romance that's hardly a romance at all-conveyed in sidelong glances, glancing touches, a head on a shoulder-and all the more affecting for it. They willingly let love slip through their fingers like the sands of time until all that's left is memories, fading fast, and the regret of lost opportunity.
A gorgeous film in every way. Sensual, intimate, and yet devoid of sex, it's an absolute masterpiece and quite possibly the best film of the new millenium. Christopher Doyle's cinematography is so exquisit an exhibition could be held made just of stills from the film. The music, the performances- it's a beautiful film like no other.
Rated 12 Mar 2010
Tony Leung always seems to grab my attention as he is so interesting to watch and it's really no different here. The amazing cinematography added so much to the film though. Also loved the editing and the score was great too. Caught me a bit off guard as it's like nothing I've seen before but when it was all said and done I felt the weight of the story hit me. Can't wait to see it again, as my score will probably go up with repeated viewings.
Rated 05 Mar 2007
Wong Kar-Wai's masterpiece. Few filmmakers can expertly balance love and affairs like he does, and Christopher Doyle provides some beautiful cinematography, as usual.
Rated 07 Jul 2014
The mixed impression remains. On one hand it's masterful in its handling of mood, tone, texture and movement; in its complete refusal to reveal all of its secrets. But on the other hand there is an archness to the overall delivery that detracts somewhat from the emotional experience. In short, there is too much 'work' evident here when it ought to be a relatively simple sensualist affair. When it works, the spell is intoxicating. When it doesn't, it's simply a pretty diversion.
Rated 24 Jan 2012
Beautifully shot, elegantly acted, and honorably honest to it's own convictions, it is an actual love story. Tony Leung is the definition of cool in this movie.
A very erotic film filled with rich colours. Beautifully shot with an amazing soundtrack. I would consider this to be, quite literally, painting with cinema.
Rated 15 Jan 2012
Utterly brilliant. The confinement set against a very sincere longing came across beautifully with a perfectly harmonious marriage of narrative, sound and visual. Cinematographically marvellous; and mood almost unmatched across all of film.
Rated 09 Apr 2008
In trying to describe this film the word that keeps coming to mind is stylish. The music, the colours, the camera angles, the acting all create very specific mood that's really hard to describe and very captivating. It's strange how a film can be so simple and yet feel so deep at the same time. I could tell exactly what was going to happen and I can't say I was ever completely captured by the film and yet something about it just really drew me in. Definitely an experience I'd like to repeat.
Rated 26 Jan 2009
Arguably the most beautifully shot movie of all time. Score is also mournfully beautiful& captures what Wai is going 4: conveying a FEELING of sadness& regret rather than a narrative - a good thing since there's little story. Unfortunately 1 can only watch so many hushed whispers, furtive glances, & slo-mo walking no matter how impecably lit. Unless u've kidded urself into fully embracing arthouse pretension & enjoy watching variations on the same scene over & over, u'll b bored when not moved.
Rated 04 Jan 2013
christ I'm lonely
Rated 30 Jul 2013
A moody and rhythmic film, the entire thing hangs on a dissonant note of mutual but unconsummated affection. It's subtle and understated, full of warm and passionate hues that nevertheless occupy narrow and repressive corridors. Maggie Cheung's wardrobe, a series of stunning dresses, is beautiful. The slow motion interludes, repeatedly accompanied by an exquisite waltz theme, are a point of choreographic genius. The whole film is just layer upon layer of sensuous textures.
Rated 15 Apr 2023
(after repeat viewings) Arguably the most stylish romantic movie ever made. The notion of two people discovering their respective partners are having an affair is an interesting starting point, with Christopher Doyle's unconventional, abstract camera work contributing greatly to the suggestive nature of their subsequent affection for one another. It's a film that packs quite a punch once all narrative elements are carefully established, one that rewards your patience if you stick with it.
Rated 10 Dec 2007
All those slow motion scenes and the respective moments sent shivers down my spine, for it was like being able to see the 'feelings' in their most solid and concrete form. Moreover, it made me feel as if I was a part of this moment and imprisoned me to enjoy and to suffer as intensely as they did. Too creepy how Wong managed to achieve that, but the movie was extraordinarily ueber-magnificent.
Rated 22 Apr 2008
Beautiful visuals. The use of color, the gliding tracking shots, the intimacy of the camera angles, the sublime atmosphere; the entire film is gorgeously rendered. That being said, the love story wasn't as engaging as I hoped it to be, but it was still moving nonetheless.
Rated 05 May 2008
Has some of the most brilliant camera work I've ever seen, a beautiful plot, and fantastic acting performances. Loved it.
Rated 26 Jul 2008
Brutally, punishingly, incredibly boring.
Rated 05 Jul 2023
Pushing the limits of visual narrative in film. Some of the prettiest shots ever put to celluloid. "Repetition is a form of change."
Rated 19 Oct 2008
Mon film préféré ! Le coup de foudre entre une femme et un homme déjà mariés et qui ne veulent pas casser leurs couples, quitte à passer à côté du grand amour... une merveille de pudeur et de sensibilité. Les photos, les couleurs et la musique sont magiques.
Rated 14 Nov 2008
In the Mood for Wong KarWai...Ever & ever again.His Movies make you feel love & desire..He plays with erotic moments...strong colours, the Music is unique..In the Mood for love is a very slow Movie that sometimes set me in trance.
Rated 16 Nov 2008
Love stories don't get much more beautiful than this, if ever. Excellent use of music, great cinematography that sets the mood really well with slow ingenious shots. I loved the script actually with the clever use of 'enacted' scenes to draw the viewer closer and enhance the drama. Oh and... Maggie Cheung is sexy as hell...
Rated 16 Mar 2009
Understated performances, great attention to detail in terms of cinematography, editing, soundtrack and costume, and generally impressive, aesthetically appealing and, at times, thoughtful. Nevertheless, this movie does not seem to me to be the masterpiece that others claim. There is a ponderousness that sets in about half way through, and which stems, I think, from the fact that the movie possesses less significance than has been projected onto it by certain audiences.
Rated 21 Apr 2009
A sensual poem constructed with few words and many images.
Rated 19 Jun 2009
While My Blueberry Nights was style over substance this one is so well balanced. Christopher Doyle's camerawork attributes magnificently to the story, with various blurring and shutter time techniques he really captures the tensions in between Mr. Chow and Mrs. Chan. ... The reoccuring theme songs are brilliant and the tempered acting is done with so much fragility that you can't help getting sucked into all this drama.
Rated 10 Feb 2010
This film is an example of love of film and what the medium can accomplish. Wong Kar Wai plays our emotions like a guitar with a mastery of color, music, and gorgeous visuals. There is no need for wordy exposition as everything you need to know is there frame by frame you just have to pay attention.
Rated 24 May 2011
Tony Leung eating a dumpling with a pained expression on his face is the best part.
Rated 12 Feb 2022
Poetry on film. Meaning, I didn't get it, and I had to refer to some dude's 5000-word essay on what the colour red signifies in this film.
Rated 03 Aug 2007
Beautiful, haunting, but about an hour too long.
Rated 23 Aug 2014
This movie is fucking smooooth. From the gliding camera to the rhythmic pacing to the intermittent use of slow motion, this movie slides along like a beautiful dream. Kar Wai Wong has a wonderfully refined confidence to his style. The camerawork is wonderful, the acting is superb, and the colors - my god the colors. And on top of all this you've got an engrossing, elegantly told story of forbidden love. I got lost in this movie and loved every second of it.
I can praise the exquisite visual style, achieved in splendid color by two great cinematographers. And I can mention Wong's trademark repeated use of musical cues. I could point out how beautifully the film works with confined space, and the multiple reflections as a metaphor for how Mr. Chow and Mrs. Chan are mirroring their spouses. But what I can't articulate is why I don't love the movie more. It's got so many qualities that I appreciate, but it... just doesn't grab me enough.
Beautiful.
Rated 13 Dec 2020
I actually feel bad rating this movie after a single viewing. It was a different kind of cinema to what I'm used to, full of subtlety and careful crafting. It really feels like I need to watch it again to fully appreciate this gem. There is a lot of promise there. The score is fantastic. Second viewing: the movie is a pleasure to watch. Scenes are like snapshots in time, playing like a memory, very graceful and precise. The film is very poetic.
Rated 24 Jan 2008
There is no equal to this. Stylish shots, restrained acting and Maggie Cheung's cheongsams. Perfectly contained.
Rated 29 Feb 2012
Brilliant and beautiful use of film, not too mention it solidifies my belief that Kar Wai Wong will be remembered as one of the great directors in the early 21st century. I've always had this weird intuition that there was a film somewhere out there that accomplishes everything this does, and I'm happy to say I found it. The acting, writing, and cinematography is flawless. One of the best (anti) love stories I've ever encountered.
Rated 17 Apr 2008
Wowzers. Wong Kar-Wai, with one swift blow, has shown me that he is one of the best directors working today, if not the best.
Rated 17 Dec 2013
Great cinematography, beautiful color palette
Rated 09 Jul 2018
Gorgeous. For some reason, it kept reminding me of Almodóvar, but his "flip side", if such a thing can be imagined. Here, all is repression and understatement, where Almodóvar is... pretty much the opposite. What they share is passion and imaginatively beautiful camera work.
Rated 30 Sep 2019
I guess the (understandable) reason that people seem to love this is that Kar-Wai excels in his use of the cinematic language to tell the story. But I cannot say that I enjoyed this, largely due to the incredibly deliberate pacing.
Rated 05 Jan 2023
If there is one word to describe this movie it is 'tantalizing.' Everything about this film is sultry, from the way the camera lusts after Maggie Cheung's curves form-fitting in her cheongsams, to the way she gently strokes the doorframe of Mr. Chow's apartment, to the glances in the staircase of the basement noodle shop, to the title song which despite its original political meaning sounds like the music playing in the head of someone tormented by desires they know they shouldn't have.
Rated 29 Jan 2009
In the Mood for Love is at the edge of the forefront of the Romance genre, and it's essentially the true two-face efficiency of modern film. Compassionate and erotic.
Rated 01 Feb 2009
Utterly beautiful to look at. A few of Wong Kar Wai's choices I didn't particularly care for (an example would be the scene that repeats) but his ability in the style department is off the charts.
Rated 13 Feb 2009
Wong subtly makes would-be romances look like the most tragic thing in the world.
Rated 24 Oct 2011
Mood is something this movie does not lack, with its gorgeous cinematography and intoxicating music, but the characters' motivations feel flimsy and their decisions forced, like pawns in the hands of a particularly cunning storyteller; thus, unfortunately, the movie never felt as heartbreaking to me as it did to some, as the strings were too obvious to ignore.
Rated 09 Mar 2022
Two person lives in a “cage-world”. Almost no wide angles. Kinda familiar to me.
Rated 18 Nov 2023
this film left me feeling melancholic. i hope when i watch it 10 years from now that will come out as nostalgia instead. either way, there’s no other film that conveys the feelings of sadness and regret like this one. and it’s done in such an understated way. i’ve never felt so lonely after watching a love story.
Rated 06 Aug 2009
Great cinematography and use of music, and some nice, understated acting. The power of this film lies in the calm and attentive approach to the little moments of genuine affection. Beautiful, if not as emotionally affecting as Happy Together. I can see this growing on me though.
Rated 03 Apr 2022
some of the most breathtaking wardrobe i can recall ever seeing on film
Rated 30 Sep 2013
Lovely, subtle, and brilliantly directed. It develops a wonderful atmosphere over the course of the film. It almost feels like what you'd get if Kubrick made a romance (and if he didn't have a dark, misanthropic streak). Aesthetically wonderful, even if the story is a bit, short, simplistic, and slow. Score may improve on repeat viewings.
Rated 09 Sep 2009
Amazing movie, a beautiful love story. The story, direction and acting is just awesome. The movie keeps you occupied all through. The background score is perfect. One of my top movies, a must see for all.
Rated 26 Sep 2009
How can such a chaste, subdued movie be so emotionally fraught?
Rated 30 Mar 2020
Caption: "He remembers those vanished years. As though looking through a dusty window pane, the past is something he could see, but not touch. And everything he sees is blurred and indistinct."
Rated 01 Feb 2010
It's pure art. Cinema in the best meaning of the word.
Rated 24 May 2024
Completely deserving of its reputation. There’s this type of tenderness and genuine longing for someone you cannot share a life with that I have rarely seen capture well in a movie, but WKW did it perfectly twenty-four years ago. Upsetting in all of the right ways, and further proof that human emotion (and the human condition) are essential in film. It’s also exceptionally directed and acted. I felt like I was there and Tony and Maggie disappeared in to their roles. It really is just that good.
Rated 18 Jul 2010
Astonishing.
Rated 04 Aug 2013
Top badass moment? It seems you have to be a bit of a bastard to get anywhere in life these days. Su Li-zhen and Chow Mo-wan were just too nice. This makes them badass; unfortunately, it also makes them total losers. What a shame. Through clouds of meaningful cigarette smoke and moody, well, everything else, a simple plot goes nowhere fast. But it's done with such cinematic skill that it almost becomes a caricature of itself. A true style over substance film. No cats, chainsaws or decapitations.
Rated 14 Sep 2010
It's repetitive, but, hey, maybe that's what love is like. I don't know ..... *faces away, single tear*
Rated 14 Sep 2011
The costumes were stunning and the cinematography was nothing to scoff at, but the movie went nowhere... Did I miss something?
Rated 01 Nov 2019
This is an exquisite film. Love between characters in many films seems kind of abstract ... something you believe exists because the film tells you it does, but you never really feel it pulling on you. This films consistently narrow, cramped spaces lock you in with the deeply suppressed emotions and you can feel the longing and anxiety quite vividly.
Rated 21 Jan 2016
Astoundingly beautiful production design, costumes, cinematography--and acting to match. This is a story of illicit and passionate love, fraught with connection and disconnection, just like life. The portrayals are tender and nuanced and the visuals will blow you away.
Rated 16 Aug 2012
The editing was probably the biggest thing that jumped out at me in this movie. It's pretty cool how they'll have two people eating at a restaurant, and it'll transition to another shot where they're wearing different clothes, to show that this is a repeated event. Also liked the use of music.
Rated 16 Feb 2012
Visually sumptuous and run through with an understated passion, it's a romance expressed physically but not sexually, introspectively but not psychologically. It manages to capture unattainable love and emotional solitude without pushing the melodrama through the screen, leaving it instead in the margins. It's one of the most gorgeous films ever made in more ways than one, but I admit it's hard for me to fall in love with it due to its sometimes disconnected and spontaneous editing choices.
Rated 14 Mar 2012
Everything in this film works so well, the acting, music, camera movements and the unbearably repressed atmosphere all make for an excellent romance film. However, that same feeling of repression kept me from really loving it. All I can do is strongly admire it.
Rated 12 Apr 2011
I personally prefer Chungking Express, but this is an absolutely heartbreaking but beautiful film.
Rated 12 May 2011
Such a simple story, but the way the narrative unfolds and the exquisite way in which it is filmed make it utterly compelling. Terrific, subtle, acting performances by Cheung and Leung... they draw you in to their relationship with each glance as they pass in the street. The camerawork is incredibly imaginative, too - intimate, but always outside looking in, just like the two main characters.
Rated 11 Nov 2015
Moody - perhaps to a fault.
It's very hard to describe this movie. There is nothing even remotely close to that in American cinema (as far as I know). This is a beautifully shot story about two neighbors who find out that their spouses are cheating on them. The story simply shows the two great actors (one of which is the beautiful Maggie Cheung), displaying some of the best acting I've ever seen. There is not much happening in the story and there is very little dialog, but a lot happens to the two people, as they go thro
Rated 22 Jul 2021
A fine piece of cinema. The mood is so iconic and the film is visually beautiful. Truly a work of art.
Rated 17 Oct 2007
The greatness of this film begins with its cinematography, bringing a nostalgia-tinged beauty to the streets and offices of 1960s Hong Kong. Having Tony Leung and Magge Cheung in the leads doesn't hurt either. The painful irony of the film rests in this couple's possessing the makings of a true and fulfilling marriage--their being together leads to the creation of something new (the story)--and yet, because of their strong moral code, they will not allow themselves to pursue it further.
Rated 15 May 2013
Intriguing and stylish non-romance between neighbours. This film has a really distinctive style of carefully framed close-ups, use of slow motion and an evocative soundtrack. Beautifully crafted
Rated 30 Mar 2008
Very intensive film
Rated 29 Oct 2019
At four times, may just be the movie I've seen the most. Some parts seem a bit unmotivated, but the colors are unsurpassed.
Rated 26 Jun 2008
Kar Wai Wong displays an ample understanding of the remarkable but unidentifiable power in the "insignificant" moments in these characters' life, and explores them with great care and attention... Gently but persistently fervent.
Rated 30 Jun 2008
One word describes this movie: Glamorous.
Rated 21 Mar 2018
This understated romance, featuring good performances by its leads, is both visually beautiful and emotionally moving.
Rated 28 Oct 2008
Picture perfect poetry.
Rated 28 Dec 2022
Captivating tale about two could-be-lovers that try to balance their feelings between each other and living a decent life. Beautifully shot and acted.
Rated 26 Mar 2022
کمتر بوسیدنی بیشتر به افسون
Rated 23 Mar 2009
One of the best romantic films of the last 100 years. Not a single scene of sexuality and it sizzles with sexual tension that will leave your breathless. Wong's masterpiece. Great acting all around.
Rated 07 Oct 2013
Rated 08 Aug 2009
Beautiful cinematography with mesmerizing music and style. Highly recommended.
Rated 01 Oct 2020
a.k.a. "In the Mood for Moping". This combines my 2 most-hated genres: "Sad People Being Sad" and silent films. It's a movie about adultery with the sex scenes cut out. That's like "Top Gun" without the flying around parts.
Rated 02 Dec 2009
I have rarely seen a film that presents state -of-mind of a person(s) than this film. Filled with colour and "mood' this is more of a dream than story. No other media could present a story like this film does.
Rated 18 Dec 2009
Rated 25 Jun 2023
While I have grown tired of movies that exploit the simple loneliness and derangement of “marriage,” especially when those movies are not in English, this film does have more redeeming values in the acting and dialogue than Wong’s companion piece, 2046.
Rated 02 Oct 2011
Shall return*
Rated 08 May 2010
More orgasmic than porn movies if you have a soft spot in our heart for beauty, rythmic romance, aesthetics ability and the best actor in the world; Tony Leung. The scene where she confronts "her husband" with his infidelity is the most supremely brilliant scene I have ever seen.
Rated 28 Mar 2017
İki komşu evli çift, birbirlerine aşık olursa. Naif ve mütevazi 1 aşk. Eşlerinin aldattığını öğrenen çift, birbirleriyle karşılaştıklarında duygusal anlar başlar. İki sevgili, aşkın ne olduğunu öğrenecektir. Shigeru Umebayashi'nin müziğiyle mest eden film, sinematografi ve kamera açılarıyla görsel 1 zevk yaşatıyor. Karizma Tony Leung, zerafet Maggie Cheung'a karşı. Filmin sonunda, ayrılık. Hiçbir zaman dönme arkadaşça yada dostça. Eğer gerçekten sevdiysen asla hayır deme. Senden benden bizden
Rated 15 Nov 2012
Intriguing and sensual, this film will make you feel almost every possible emotion.
Rated 08 Oct 2010