1934
Romance
A spoiled heiress, running away from her family, is helped by a man who's actually a reporter looking for a story. But then he falls for her... (imdb)

1934
Romance

Rated 16 Oct 2008
One of the best screwball comedies (and dare I say road movies) around. Colbert en Clark are a dynamic duo that elevate what's to me a weak plot to its rightful place in history. It's a charming romantic film from the renowned director, a classic that I think even people today would come to appreciate.
Rated 14 Dec 2008
It Happened One Night is one of the grandest blockbuster romantic road comedies ever released to theaters. With marvelous chemistry between Gable and Colbert (Backed-up by hysterical, screwball one-liner phrases) , an overly saddening and driving plotline and electrifying direction from Capra, it's hard to argue with that fact! It's a high IQ tale of love, greed, truth and wealth....and it's one of the only standing leads of it's own genre.
Rated 01 Feb 2010
An extremely charming film from Capra. It Happened One Night is a spectacular romantic comedy, and is one of few movies the define what a romantic comedy should be, unlike the interminable crap that has been circulating the screen for decades. Gable and Colbert have great chemistry, and together share some the genres most unforgettable scenes. An absolutely hilarious and witty film with charm, and class.
Rated 14 Jun 2009
It's sad to see that contemporary romcoms are still getting their juice from a movie made in 1934. And that without even improving the original formula. ... Clark Gable as the fast-talking journalist is especially worth remembering. ... Screwball comedies in time of depression, it still works.
Rated 19 Mar 2007
If Annie Hall hadn't been made, this would be the greatest romantic comedy ever made. It's a charming character driven romp starring Clark Gable and Claudette Colbert. Of course, we can't forget it's directed by the legendary Frank Capra. It's a wonderful movie!
Rated 06 Sep 2007
I wish I was Clark Gable.
Rated 07 Feb 2008
A great film. It has a nice take on the classic 1930's themes of social strata, wealth, rich people, etc., and it's also an early example of the classic American genre of the road movie. Gable and Colbert have both acting chops and great chemistry. In addition to being a good drama the film is also very funny, mostly because of all the great one-liners.
Rated 05 Aug 2008
Gable and Colbert are marvelous. They make one of the funniest screwball pairings in any romantic comedy ever. The entire first scene in the cabin - with the "Walls of Jericho" and Gable's undressing monologue - is comedic gold. The movie has undoubtedly aged though, and at times it feels a bit overlong, especially in the final moments. Even so, it's a wonderful time.
Rated 02 Aug 2020
Well, actually, it happened over many nights. You couldn't wear Clark Gable's thin moustache now without looking like a huge creep -- only John Waters can pull it off. Really unsure how the blanket partition worked once Gable was making breakfast.
Rated 19 Mar 2009
Ridiculously clever and funny writing, with its two stars in the midst of absolute comedic perfection.
Rated 29 May 2009
perfectly paced, well acted, and at times fairly charming. could have been a bit more up beat with some added things, and it did get overly dramatic (but not often). it's an all around good movie.
Rated 03 Mar 2010
This film is the pioneer of romantic comedies. It's impressive, the films of the genre still has the same formula, same sequence of actions. So it's a great classic. The film is old and your type of humor sometimes sounds a little dated, but no matter, is a landmark of cinema.
Rated 23 Nov 2018
Capra's infectious wit and charm here was apparently enough to get both Stalin and Hitler to enjoy the film, which is how you know it's good.
Rated 19 Nov 2011
There's a popular story that when Clark Gable took of his shirt to reveal that he wasn't wearing an undershirt, the sale of undershirts in the US dropped 75% as a result. Whether or not this is true is a matter of debate, but since I didn't see this bit of trivia elsewhere in the comments I thought I'd share it.
Rated 16 Jan 2012
Great dialogue and pacing throughout, though the end was a little ungratifying.
Rated 06 Aug 2012
One of the most charming films I have ever seen. The chemistry between the leads is great, and it more than makes up for the horrible supporting cast. Clark Gable has to be the most charming pedo-stached man ever.
Rated 05 Mar 2014
Fine script makes this a fun fun watch.
Rated 03 Jan 2007
Rated 19 Feb 2007
Good film.
A fine movie, although I don't think quite as highly of it as some others.
70 years later and still fun, witty, and absolutely enjoyable.
Rated 18 Oct 2007
This movie can't make up it's mind what it wants to be, and makes a sharp turn in the 3rd act. Was entertaining for one viewing.
Rated 15 Dec 2020
What used to bother me is why Gable's hard up newspaperman keeps turning Colbert's heiress down when she's throwing herself at him? What's his problem? Then I realized it was about pride; everyone would say he was a gold digger after the reward. That's why he leaves her to get a loan from his boss; he needs his own money, why they can't be together until he turns down the reward and proves its not about money. When you get that you see why it's more than the frothy confection it seems at first.
Rated 13 Nov 2007
Claudette Colbert has a fascinating face, partly because only her left side was pretty; partly because she was such an exasperated bitch offscreen. On top of that miracle, Clark Gable is surprisingly adept at the screwballism and themes of career opportunism, love, and lust get a proper treatment in spite of the Hays code. If this could win Best Picture in '34, why not Knocked Up in '07?
Rated 14 Nov 2007
I love this film. Claudette Colbert is so cute!
Rated 02 Jan 2008
Lively, fast-paced comedy full of witty banter and good sight gags. Gable and Colbert have great chemistry, as well. Definitely one of the best of the genre.
Rated 01 Mar 2008
# 202
Rated 02 Apr 2008
This is strangely my least favorite of the cannonical Capra Classics. Which means it's only great rathar than perfect.
Rated 27 May 2008
Lovely, lovely film.
Rated 30 Oct 2020
Brilliant, beautiful, sweet, oft imitated but never duplicated.
Rated 28 Jul 2008
I believe the main plot of Roman Holiday is a ripoff of this Capra movie.
Rated 05 Oct 2008
Probably timeless.
Rated 19 Dec 2008
Rated 18 Jan 2009
Although the back-and-forth drama towards the end is utterly predictable and quite frankly overdone, this film is fantastic and doesn't really suffer from it. Clark Gable is brilliant, and so is pretty much all the rest of the cast. An outstanding romantic comedy.
Rated 01 Aug 2009
Straight-up the greatest "rom-com" ever made. Holds up amazingly well, even today, with fresh jokes and an unending charm.
Rated 15 Sep 2009
The plot to this film is fairly original, and the acting was (overall) quite good. I was pleased to see there were only a few definitely over-dramatic moments, and that the rest of the movie felt like "normal people." I wasn't totally surprised by the ending, but I wasn't entirely sure that's where it would end up. Definitely one of the better scripts from this era!
Rated 13 Oct 2009
Loved this charming and very funny film from Frank Capra. It deserved the five Oscars it garnered in 1934. Highly recommended.
Rated 24 Oct 2009
'The Godfather' of all romantic comedies!
Rated 21 Feb 2021
Rated 10 Dec 2009
Well, it's so heart-warming and funny that you just can't avoid falling in love with these couple.
Rated 13 Jan 2010
Rated 14 Jan 2010
Delicious, unique, pure and funny. This movie has create an average for romantic comedies since it was released, over 70 years ago. It is still really great after all this time.
Rated 18 Aug 2010
A romantic comedy that's good!
Rated 20 Nov 2010
Nobody but Capra can create such a sentimental and fantastic movie. Hilarious and touching, and easily in contention for the best romantic comedy of all time.
Rated 28 Feb 2019
Rated 26 Dec 2010
Rated 04 Apr 2011
Clark Gable and Frank Capra what more could you ask for?
Rated 11 May 2011
A very cute, albeit unrealistic story with great performances. Quite a bit of fun.
Rated 02 Jun 2011
A well-scripted comedy with good dialogue.
Rated 24 Jun 2011
Entertaining over all. Some funny gags (loved the hitchhiking bit) and a couple funny lines. Good ending, too. But it just didn't really wow me. I like Clark Gable for the most part, but I find Jimmy Stewart (who starred in the only other two Capra movies I've seen as of this writing) so much more endearing, genuine and interesting.
Rated 22 Jul 2011
Pretty good love story. Capra sprinkles a handful of his magic dust on the proceedings and POOF! suddenly crappy acting and maudlin nonsense become affable charm and sentiment.
Rated 05 Sep 2011
It's easy to dismiss this somewhat implausible yet cliche plot, but you'd be missing out on screen chemistry rarely rivaled anywhere else. Would love to see Colbert's gams in HD!
Rated 29 Nov 2011
Overall very good, but I felt like the ending came about way too fast. There was about one minute left in the movie and I was thinking "How can it possibly wrap up in such a short time?"
Rated 30 Nov 2011
#197
Rated 20 Feb 2012
Fun, like the others of this genre
Rated 22 Feb 2012
good text anyway
Rated 19 Feb 2024
Colbert and Gable have great chemistry together. Also the movie has Gable being a snarling, sarcastic jerk for most of the picture and it's hilarious. Wonderful movie.
Rated 18 Sep 2018
Badly dated in many ways, but still fairly entertaining in its kitschy, backwards way.
Rated 31 May 2012
My personal rating system =/ (based on a - = scale) Probably the best romantic comedy I've seen. The dialogue is so funny. Classic "Taming of the Shrew" type romantic comedy. So much better compared to the recent crap that has made the prospect of watching a romantic comedy painful.
Rated 11 Jun 2012
It's well done and decently entertaining alright,and Gable is very good. However I didn't feel there was real chemistry between Gable and Colbert, and that made the film feel a bit fake.
Rated 16 Jun 2012
otobüs, evden (gemiden) kacmak, simarik zengin kiz, gazeteci, otobüste tanismak, isten atilan gazeteci, otelde iki yabanci, yolculukta tanisma, evli kadin bekar adam, yanlis anlasilma, dügünden kacan gelin, zengin baba, banker baba
Rated 18 Jun 2012
Love this wonderful screwball romantic comedy. Way more risque than I thought you could be in 1934. The chemistry between our leads here is just magnetic.
Rated 07 Jul 2012
you know it has passed 78 years from the year of making this movie and it's still alive and vivacious . full cast and crew specially the director , the writers and the actors has been successful in creating one of the best Romantic Comedy movies of all time . I have to mention that this is one of the three movies that won Best Picture, Directing, Actor, Actress and Writing in Oscar .
Rated 04 Sep 2023
The fact that so many films have been inspired by and have copied "It Happened One Night" diminishes its impact a little, but that's an unfair criticism; saying that it had a hand in writing the rom-com rulebook is quite an understatement, and what's equally remarkable is that it generally holds up still. Strong points include Gable and Colbert, the humour, character dynamics and plot, and Capra's sensitivity about scenes with no apparent payoff, which justly appear as important as the big ones.
Rated 11 Aug 2018
rvw
Rated 06 Sep 2012
Not one of the best screwballs, but Colbert is a delight as usual.
Rated 24 Sep 2012
It's easy to fall in love with Clark Gable. These two have such great chemistry. It's what the modern rom com should aspire to
Rated 04 Dec 2012
I haven't watched a Capra film in some time and it didn't let me down. Gable's sarcastic, drunken, yet principled journalist is at times aggravating and at others charming. He's a funny guy and his introduction in the film arguing with his former boss is one of the best bits in the film. Sure, he and Claudette Colbert had some natural chemistry...in a back and forth, antagonistic way...but the potential romance never seemed to gel properly. Still, it's amusing and light with some fine dialogue.
Rated 15 Dec 2012
Simply a perfect charming movie... Both Clark Gable and Claudette Colbert were superb and worked really well together...
Rated 24 Feb 2013
Very good fun, very funny, very charming and I can't think of another road movie that gives you such a great overview of the United States with all different sorts of people and places along the way. The back-and-forth drama at the end of this film felt overdone, or at least for me lacked some of the charm of the earlier bits of the film.
Rated 26 Feb 2013
Do you think I liked it? OH, I DID! GREATLY SO! It was almost as if Gable was constantly grumpy for being there and shot off his lines like he felt. And Gable & Colbert had chemistry like no other. Frank Capra captured their natural charm excellently getting the most out of each scene. And he did that out of a real simple story which is basically built up on throw-away scenes and making those into heart warming ones - one after the other.
Rated 09 Apr 2023
This was actually pretty fun. It was a good little adventure and the two actors had great chemistry. The lady was a bit of a diva and kinda ungrateful, which was pretty annoying, but I still had a lot fun.
Rated 28 Apr 2018
Finally I watched a Clark Gable movie.. And it was fun! Loved the humor and the innocence of this movie. Go out and watch it youngsters! Pure class.
Rated 29 Sep 2013
well-acted and fairly entertaining, and i do admit i got swept up in the drama near the end, but it wasn't nearly as incisive, creative or funny as the screwball standard, 'his girl friday'.
Rated 20 Oct 2013
Overall Enjoyment: 31/40, Plot/Themes: 15/20, Cinematography/Direction: 16/20, Acting/Writing: 16/20
Rated 05 Nov 2013
It isn't the best comedy, mostly because it leans more on the romance than most of these movies do. So you get a lot of funny moments, but in between there's slow character building that takes a while to work, but it gets there. By the end I was rooting for the romance, and while the silliness of the ending seems unnecessary to me, it's not really bad or out of place. I wish there was more banter, but it does deliver when it tries and I enjoyed it quite a bit.
Rated 14 Jan 2014
Really enjoyable film, with a nice mixture of sex and class politics, so you can see it with the whole neighbourhood.
Rated 13 Mar 2014
This was good. I read that it was screwball and was like oooooh no, but it wasn't really. The leads are both good, particularly Gable, and the writing is clever enough to basically carry the movie. I didn't love it, but it's a fine watch and fairly hard to hate.
Rated 24 Oct 2022
the relationship was so revolutionary for the time; a quick witted and intelligent couple. capra really outdid himself. screwball comedy the og ver, i love.
Rated 19 Mar 2018
Capturing its stars and director at their finest, It Happened One Night remains unsurpassed by the countless romantic comedies it has inspired.
Rated 11 Oct 2014
The quintessential romantic comedy.
Rated 17 Nov 2014
Likte denne godt til at den er en screwball-komedie fra 30-tallet. Det er alltid morsomt å se Gable, og de to har god kjemi. Plottet er også halvveis engasjerende, og noen morsomme scener gjør denne verdt å se. Ingen blodfan av Capra, men gir absolutt mersmak.
Rated 03 Dec 2014
(2nd viewing, 1st:80)
Rated 02 Jan 2015
Frank Capra #4
Rated 09 Feb 2015
Revisited (2)
Rated 11 Feb 2015
Yes, this is one of the funniest movies ever made, and it was made in 1934. I really love that this was the first movie to win the Oscar Grand Slam, and that everybody making it really, REALLY didn't want to make it.
Rated 29 Mar 2022
eriha surları💛
Rated 24 Feb 2021
Snappy, fun, timeless, and well suited to Capra's sensibilities. The charm and chemistry is impossible to ignore between the two leads.
Rated 05 Aug 2015
Well made movie and a part of film history, but it just doesn't hold up anymore.
Rated 07 Dec 2015
Funny, charming and overall very well made screwball comedy. The brisk road-movie pace slows down a bit towards the end.
Rated 10 Dec 2015
A good romantic-comedy to me is something that convincingly makes ME fall in love with the characters, and so I found myself being irresistibly attracted to the looks and charm and moxie of both the macho Gable and the headstrong Colbert. The film does unfortunately have some dated misogynist attitudes, but as one of the first great screwball comedies it also does challenge gender roles in a way that was progressive for the time. A charming light-hearted flick that still holds up well today.
Rated 18 Dec 2015
Might be my millennial ass talking, but it's hard to get over the now blatant sexism. Once you do, you end up with a solid story, okay acting, and slightly tired jokes. Unlike other fish out of water comedies, the spoiled rich brat remains just that, the straight shooting hoodlum remains just that.
Rated 21 Feb 2016
Great supporting cast delivering one fine character after another. The narrative of the first half is perfectly absorbing.
Rated 23 Feb 2016
Star Rating: ★★★1/2
Rated 20 Jul 2021
This is the blue print for 90% of romantic comedies to follow. You have the meet cute, the shifting adoration, the strict timetable, and even a third act chase. Clark Gale and Claudette Colbert are a blast to watch and have a effortless chemistry. These late pre-code films have an authenticity to them that makes them feel far more modern.
Rated 18 Aug 2017
enjoyed every moment
Rated 02 May 2016
This movie starts very good with a lot of chemistry between Clark and Claudette performing a strong female character, quite good road movie, but the last ten minutes the story falls apart and left me with a not so good movie feeling.
Rated 25 May 2016
Despite an unhealthy relationship is around the corner for these 2 in one of their best performances, it's such a cute film, even while marking the beginning of a series of overused clichés in rom-coms.
Rated 30 Jun 2016
Clark Gable is quite charming and Claudette Colbert is pretty good. The story and dialogue is pretty dumb at times but even then it's a hell of a lot of fun.
Rated 05 Dec 2016
A real classic with wit and charm. Highly memorable scenes and spot on chemistry between Gable and Colbert. Capra creates a sense of tension as it is not always clear how it is going to end.