It\
Its-a-Wonderful-Life

It's a Wonderful Life

1946
Romance, Drama
An angel helps a compassionate but despairingly frustrated businessman by showing what life would had been like if he never existed.
Amazon Prime VideoAmazon VideoApple TVGoogle Play MoviesVuduMicrosoft Store
The Roku Channel
Hoopla
Plex
Freevee
Plex Player
Xumo Play

I'm just a sucker for this movie. The ending is so intensely heartwarming that it never fails to bring tears to my eyes. There's plenty to nitpick over: that tear-jerker ending is rather unlikely, and Mary's "George-less" fate is ridiculous. Despite all this, I still enjoy watching it from start to finish.
My Jimmy Stewart impression usage skyrockets around Christmastime which also coincides with the highest suicide rate in North America. I think I'm on to something here.
It could have been too sentimental, but the suppressed anger of Stewart's performance impels a George Bailey we root for because we know how much it has cost him to become a good man. Even Clarence's vision is not as pat as it seems, for George is transformed, not only because he realizes the value of his life, but also because he is filled with terror when he is not recognized by the people he knows. it is Mary the Librarian's blank stare that sends George back to love and Bedford Falls.
No matter how many times I see this movie, I still cry and hug my wife tightly as it ends. Some may call it corny or overly sentimental, but they were probably just resistant to the movie as children. It's unapologetically wholesome, perhaps, but darnit if we don't need a movie like this every now and then to give our lives a little perspective. George Bailey's spiritual journey represents a point and time when the American dream needed a renewal; and this was just what the doctor ordered.
A terrific film, James Stewart is one of the greatest actors ever, and this movie shows just how amazing he is. He perfectly shows the sadness of a man in his position, and a lot of people can relate to why he hates his life. A lot of us have been there. A classic for obvious reasons. Should not be missed.

Submitted bymagbMagb on 23 Mar 2006