John Carter
John-Carter

John Carter

2012
Sci-fi, Fantasy
Transplanted to Mars, a Civil War vet discovers a lush planet inhabited by 12-foot tall barbarians. Finding himself a prisoner of these creatures, he escapes, only to encounter a princess who is in desperate need of a savior. (imdb)
Amazon VideoApple TVDisney PlusGoogle Play MoviesVuduMicrosoft Store

What the hell's wrong with everyone? This movie is great, and it deserves none of the vitriol that the internet hivemind has spewed its way. It delivers the raw imagination, beauty, and narrative power of the venerable source material in a fun and engaging way. Solid entertainment that rewards repeat viewings.
If you, like me, are a lover of big bombastic fantasy adventure flicks, this mostly hits the spot for a fun Saturday matinee screening, despite some occasional cheesiness and clunky exposition on par with anything in the Star Wars prequels. Lynn Collins actually surpasses the titular character as the Princess of Mars, which is cool since women in these sorts of movies can often feel shallowly-sketched and only put in there out of marketing necessity.
What a shame that the press seems so eager to bury this film under a mountain of schadenfreude, as this is a fine pulp adventure deserving of an audience. Who cares what it cost, so long as it works. And it does. The Barsoom books have been stripped bare by Lucas, Cameron and many others, but Stanton asserts himself as a stronger storyteller than those who've walked this ground before. Lynn Collins is outstanding. The title sucks though -- imagine if Raiders had been called "Indiana Jones". Who?
A lot of the character design and the vehicles remind me of "Star Wars: Episode One", except this movie is good. it's a great story that I was glued to the screen for the entire play time, and that ending kept me guessing, but left me satisfied.
Solid fun, but there is something completely wrong with film's structure. It comes across as an unbelievable uneven narratif in terms of speed and what it choses to tell. The storybuilding is somewhat extensive but some of the key moments are either way to short or too long. I would like to a second take on this, though..

Submitted bytoro913toro913 on 21 Jan 2012