1962
Romance
Decades of a love triangle concerning two friends and an impulsive woman.

1962
Romance

Rated 04 Mar 2007
Fantastically done in just about every regard. Visually, the film is extraordinary; Truffaut must've had a lot of fun in the editing room, what with all the quick cuts and freeze frames. There's a wonderful elegance to the entire film, which I can't quite find the words to describe. And it moves along at a torrid pace, somehow mixing in moments of somber meditation but never slowing down. Truly a joy to watch.
Rated 15 Dec 2006
Wonderfully warm and full of great moments and touching truths. Oskar Werner is magnificent, all vulnerability and shy charm, and of course Jeanne Moreau and Henri Serre are excellent too. The score is lyrical and beautiful.
Rated 06 Feb 2007
This film may be called "Jules and Jim", but its story invariably revolves around the allure, the whims and the follies of Catherine. Catherine is a true femme fatale -- a woman who is no good at all for the men who fall in love with her, or for herself. But for all her faults, we can't help but fall in love with her ourselves. Jules et Jim is an incredibly warm film. It's excellently structured, has impeccable acting and a great score, and is an all-around masterpiece.
Rated 06 Feb 2007
A beautiful film. The cinematography, editing, and music are gorgeous, and the dynamic between the three characters is both somber and exhilirating. I could watch this film every day of my life and not tire of it.
Rated 28 Jun 2010
I watched it several times, convinced I had missed something on the first viewing, but I didn't find it. The middle section is brilliant, but the first third is too fast - Godard's hands are all over it - and the ending suddenly gets cheesy and absurd. After watching Catherine's tricks for so long, it just gets tiresome, and I wondered how Jules and Jim keep falling for it. Displays a great mastery of technical skills but the execution of the story is too all over the place for me to enjoy.
Rated 28 Apr 2010
Technically competent and at times refreshing, but after a strong first half the movie started losing me. The interactions between Jim and Jules are enjoyable and their mutual respect feels very adult, but I quickly soured on Catherine. Impulsive, controlling, childish, frustrating. And both Jules and Jim completely falling for this woman makes them ring a bit hollow, which hurts a movie that focuses on these people.
Rated 03 Apr 2010
A completely unbelievable romance with flat, tiresome characters.
Rated 02 Dec 2008
French New Wave cinema exists to be appreciated, but does little to be enjoyed, and Jules et Jim is a great example: It strikes an intellectual pose, tries for an artsy look and strains to be witty and charming. The characters, however, are made of paper and their relationships superficially described and impenetrable. Is the lack of closeups a catalyst to this or simply a symptom of the director's disinterest in his subjects?
Rated 06 Jul 2009
A concise, strong, heartwarming film, not without its share of admirable performances and in this case, clever editing tricks. The story is a real pleasure, rich and lyrical, free of any pretentiousness and the lack of supporting characters doesn't diminish the experience, it only strengthens it. A lovely film.
Rated 14 Sep 2010
Starts off brilliantly and progressively gets worse until the laughably bad last line. These are three characters I don't want to get to know, nor spend time with.
Rated 16 Aug 2007
A wonderful experience. The film has a joyful, infectious tone to it that sucks you in and never lets go. It's about the lifelong friendship of Jules and Jim, a Frenchman and a German, in the early 1900's and does a great job of commenting on many aspects of life and relationships. The acting is wonderful, as is some of the editing and music; I just wish there was more Marie Dubois, whose stole the few scenes she was in.
Rated 30 Dec 2007
I have no idea how Truffaut made such a fun, heartwarming film out of such a bizarre, fucked up story. Truffaut at his most invigorated; some of the shots are so wild, they seem almost out-of-character to me.
Rated 22 Jul 2013
Complicated look at relationships. It runs the gamut of hot and cold; kind and cruel; love and hate. I think describing Catherine as 'impulsive' is a bit too slight. She is a deeply complex character who feels so real it hurts.
Rated 26 Feb 2007
Incredible all around, especially the acting. Jules et Jim is a lot of fun, a really heart warming film.
Rated 24 Feb 2009
An incredible movie that is begging for me to rewatch it.
Rated 03 Mar 2009
A great film on almost every regard. The one thing that stands out the most in Jules et Jim is its pace: Truffault manages to build a great story on the fast-going first half hour, and masterfully avoids losing it all on boring long scenes from then on. Nearly perfect.
Rated 19 Aug 2011
I never fell in love with Jeanne Moreau as a viewer the way the titular characters did, could never romanticize her dangerous vivacity, and that may be the only real flaw of the film. The rest, the dialog (especially the beautiful narration), the acting, the cinematography, is fantastic.
Rated 02 Jun 2014
"Jules et Jim" isn't terribly profound but it's a charming and influential trifle. Combining a relaxed wit reminiscent of silent cinema and quirkiness that would inspire an entire league of hipster filmmakers (see Wes Anderson), it moves along enjoyably, if not always eschewing New Wave-ish babbling. And even when the plot meanders or the script gives in to melodramatics, Truffaut's inspired camera and the likable protagonistic trio pull the film back to a state of affable whimsicality.
Rated 18 Oct 2015
The first act is electrifying, rendering so much of the next fifty years of film derivative. After the film settled down into the love triangle narrative, it lost a bit of that energy.
Rated 17 Aug 2014
Interesting cinematography, but I found the dialogue to be somewhat tiresome and none of the characters to be especially engaging. Really wish it wouldn't have ended with an act from a "crazy jealous woman".
Rated 26 Aug 2007
Really good film. The development of the characters was perfect. Great acting and excellent camera work, especially the freeze frames.
Rated 28 Sep 2009
Both wonderfully whimsical and heartbreakingly touching.
Rated 16 Sep 2011
Tiresome experience filled with moments of joy and beauty. If there were three men, instead of two and a woman, a required camp value would have been added.
Rated 04 Dec 2018
Insightful look at the cuckoldry scene and what's it actually like to date a girl with BPD.
Rated 07 Nov 2008
an exquisite screenplay has ruined by miscasting (espacially jeanne moreau) talented actors and imperfect editing..still good film.
Rated 09 Nov 2009
Comment dites-vous........... overrated.
Rated 07 Apr 2011
The warm, complex relationship between the three characters was a pleasure to watch. One of the best examples of romance in cinema that I've seen. The editing and direction is outstanding, Truffaut really impressed me here. The music is terrific as well. When the movie ended, I felt a little cold. But when I think about it there are so many great moments.
Rated 10 Jul 2015
French Manic Pixie Dreamgirl Alert! And somehow even quirkier and more grating than her American counterparts! (Okay, I realize this is a classic, but STILL.)
Rated 23 Aug 2020
In the first half, this felt like a masterpiece. The characters and the filmmaking were so delightful. I struggled a bit with the second half, particularly how much it starts to feel like a woman-ruins-everything-story and the ending felt unearned.
The first half hour is absolutely beautiful and compelling, but once they go on to war the relationships and actions of some of the characters become unrealistic and absurd.
Rated 05 Feb 2009
a beautiful movie although not as good as I expected
Rated 23 Mar 2007
I really don't like heart of story, but that is mine consideration of that. But movie is very good and done nearly to perfect. Psychology of characters is great and that is the best of this edition....
Rated 28 Jan 2009
Some of the stuff towards the end especially the gun is a bit dicey, the war scene is not to my taste, but Moreau pulling the clothes down and going to her bike would have gotten the film a 100 no matter what happened. It could have come from Lolita.
Rated 27 Jan 2016
Excellent. The most elegant portrayal of a psycho-bitch of all time.
Rated 20 Jul 2009
Truffaut is a god in human form.
Rated 13 Apr 2013
Great style, great acting, great characters, great music, and a story I cared about. This really stands out from the other New Wave films I've seen in that the style seems to take a backseat to the emotional substance of the story. I've enjoyed the Godard films I've seen, but it's Truffaut that seems better able to connect with me on a deeper level and make me truly care about what I'm seeing. This definitely makes me want to watch more Truffaut.
Rated 02 Feb 2007
After Truffaut's beyond self-indulgent "Shoot The Piano Player" (Though that film is not at all a bad film, just incredibly self-indulgent) he matures and gives us Jules and Jim, an incredibly sensitive, intelligent and emotional film.
Rated 12 Feb 2009
Simply beautiful, in every aspect.
Rated 17 Apr 2007
# 33
Rated 31 Aug 2013
The biggest problem are the characters and the unbelievable love triangle. It is however wonderfully shot and completely charming.
Rated 28 Nov 2018
Some of the events unfold too fast to really allow the characters to breathe, but there's plenty of charming moments that work especially well with the soaring landscape shots.
Rated 09 Apr 2008
Probably one of my favorite New Wave films. Very fun to watch, though I don't know what Jules and Jim see in Catherine...
Rated 16 Nov 2014
This is a heartwarming story about 3 love tormented people, who can only run around in circles, humm - triangles? I savoured terribly this depiction of wild femininity, the kind you can't cage up, but you can only admire. It also reminded me to appreciate men more. Hurricane Catherine, you are now one of my favorite heroines, with all your faults and crimes.
Rated 25 Dec 2022
Interesting as an experimental stylistic exercise rather than a narrative one, but still feels a little too awkwardly imitative of Godard than an organic work for Truffaut who asks us to engage with the emotional back-and-forthing between the leading trio, while using ostentatious editing & structural techniques which give the film a chilly reserve, especially during the grim second half. At its best during the playful, freewheeling sequences (the opening 25-words-or-less summary is a knockout).
Rated 14 Mar 2016
Great editing and camera work, but I didn't care about the story.
Rated 07 Sep 2011
I love Truffaut so damn much. Just the way he shoots a movie does it for me: The playful camera movements, the freeze-frames, the subtitles that randomly appear. He was the man and this is one of his finest films.
Rated 01 Mar 2008
# 40
Rated 20 Nov 2011
I can always enjoy this movie. It looks good and it drives you crazy.
Rated 27 Nov 2017
Escorpião. Romanesco.
Rated 20 Nov 2011
So light!
Rated 29 Sep 2009
I doubt I can add much to what other people have said. I also really loved the freeze frames. It's impressive in almost every way, it's pure cinema. But I had a hard time really caring about the characters, despite them developing and despite the plot moving in interesting ways. A movie like this really depends on emotional attachment and as much as I appreciate everything else, it loses quite a few points because of this. Everything else is tops, though.
Rated 22 Mar 2013
There's a joy to the film-making here so that even as I could see it straining to be charming I couldn't help but be charmed.
Rated 08 Apr 2016
It is hard to relate to a movie where none of the characters are like anybody in your own life. But that being said, the characters were probably not meant to be real. They were instead truly fictional characters in a fairy tale. The light and airy tone in the presence of serious subjects like jealousy and cruelty made for an interesting mix. I have a feeling this movie gets better, the more you watch it.
Rated 15 Aug 2016
Jules and Jim's portrayal of unconventional 'open' relationships would have been quite confrontational in the 60's--it's not even common now--and while it's a period piece set in a specific moment of history, it's easy to forget due to its swift pace, at least in the first half. The credit sequence is sensational, and the film works best in its lighter, breezier moments that are full of passion and energy. When it slows down and becomes 'serious', it's a bit of a slog.
Rated 28 Jul 2009
The problem I have with this is that I just can't understand characters actions and motivations and thus I don't care about them or anything happening in the film.
Rated 28 Feb 2023
#23#, rw2, story, ratings, "Project 100-80-60-40-20"-1962#4
Rated 13 Jul 2009
I really don't get what's so special about the French New Wave, one of the points of The New Wave was doing nothing to suspend disbelief--and that's exactly what Truffaut does, which is simply bad film making. I thought the story was ok, and the music was great, but the follow through was rough and the camera work was jumpy and simply unappealing.
Rated 29 May 2007
Jules et Jim is clearly work done by a master of his medium but even so, it does not retain the charm and emotional attachment you would expect from the director of The 400 Blows. I still very much enjoyed this movie but it was somewhat of a letdown considering this is supposedly Truffaut's crowning achievement; I clearly disagree.
Rated 03 Nov 2014
suck my DICK
Rated 01 Aug 2016
I am completely sold on the writing of Francois Truffaut. Both the dialogue and narration of this film work are beautiful, even though on a first watch, I know there was a lot that I missed. His direction didn't stick with me quite as much, it started out with a lot of fast cuts, which was a bit disorienting. Both Jeanne Moreau (Catherine) and Henri Serre (Jim) gave really solid, affecting performances as well.
Rated 27 Jan 2016
an entertaining and strong film that is focussed on a crazy love triangle.
Rated 01 Oct 2023
Jim: "I agree with you that in love a couple is not ideal. You only have to look around. You wanted to invent something better by rejecting hypocrisy and resignation. You wanted to invent love. But pioneers must be humble and unselfish. We must face the truth. We failed. We made a mess of everything. You tried to change me to suit you. I tried to spread joy, but I've created only pain."
Rated 20 Jun 2017
Realistic example of Narcissistic PD and injury leading to rage, with Borderline supporting cast.
Rated 09 Jan 2012
Wish I could like this more than I did. I still like it a whole lot, though.
Rated 24 Dec 2013
i found it odd that the film was set in the early 1900s because i so readily associate the aesthetic of the new wave with the 1960s - that aesthetic was in some ways still preserved in this film, but at other times clashed with the period wardrobe and sets. in terms of plot, pacing and characterization as well, i think this film suffered. the lead trio wasn't interesting. the story's sweeping timeline and constant narration slowed the pace even further.
Rated 19 Dec 2008
Score based on distant memory.
Rated 16 Mar 2012
Hey Jim! If a borderline psycho, sadistic bitch, who wants to throw acid in your face, is the kind of woman that turns you on, then let me introduce you to Lorena Bobbitt.
Rated 21 Jun 2008
Wow. One of those films where so much is unstated but the people are so real and psychologically complex, and they seem like people you know personally...
Rated 13 Apr 2014
Some fantastic cinematography here, but I couldn't help wishing the film would stop repeating the same events. Feel like the film reads best if you see Jules and Jim projecting their feelings for each other onto Catherine - because she certainly doesn't have much that's compelling on her own.
Rated 09 Apr 2009
Charming, quintessentially French period romance, technically interesting, emotionally uplifting, and acted and directed with verve and feeling.
Rated 21 Jul 2023
Whenever I watch a Truffaut, I can’t help but notice the influence of his cinematic knowledge on the film. He parodies many of previous narrative techniques in the film history without making a mess of his own film. The triangle effort to create a new balance in life, in contrast to the traditional life style, is avant-garde and exciting of course, as was the French New Wave itself.
Rated 05 Jan 2022
First act is light and breezy, excellently shot, humorous, creative. World War I starts and the movie takes a turn. I really, really hated the character of Catherine by the end, but I think that was the point. At worst, this one sat with me a while, really thinking about it. Star rating was hard to situate between 3 and 4.
Rated 25 Jun 2011
I actually prefer a lot of other Truffauts, but this is undeniably moving, entertaining and superbly made.
Rated 15 Mar 2019
Rated 03 Feb 2012
It starts off with a flurry of inputs - voiceover, montage, graffiti, stock footage, pictures in a wallet, even a slideshow! The plot then unfolds, revealing a perfect blend of romantic comedy and bittersweet drama. An extremely innovative film from a master of the art.
Rated 01 Aug 2018
Carelessly bipolar
Rated 26 Jul 2010
I actually believe that this film is more interesting that 400 Blows - in many ways, at least. First, stylistically 400.. is always mentioned for its ending, and this film has so much more character in style: fast editing, very hectic camera movements, short scenes, a long, difficult script. In general, I loved it from the first moment, and it's both beautiful as it is interesting and entertaining. The thing that makes the love story less interesting than fx Breathless is complexity. Sadly.
Rated 23 Apr 2022
Think I will always prefer the pre-WWI joyful material than the post-WWI one, with ups and downs in a relationship of three that could never be matched by love, marriage, relationship or any other conventional affair. Still, gotta love the quick-cutting, extensive voiceover and the sense of tragedy that begins to lure over the characters in war and finally arrives in the last minutes.
Rated 28 Jul 2012
Nice study on an unusual love triangle. The chemistry between the trio is amazing. Got a bit too repetitive near the end and the ending was too easy though.
Rated 28 Mar 2011
I really liked this film, but the opening act bored me to death (a bit difficult considering how sped up it was).
Rated 06 Aug 2021
"??????????…"????????????????????????????????????/????????????????????/???????/??????????????????
Rated 01 Feb 2018
üç salak var filmde. biri kızla evleniyor. ikisi savaşa gidiyorlar farklı ülkeler adına biri alman biri fransız neyse kadın kocasını aldatıyor. Adam kadını bırakamıyor. Arkadaşları evlerine gelince kadın bu sefer onunla birlikte oluyor. Baştan aşağı çürüme.
Rated 25 Jan 2007
Named for its male duo, but this is Jeanne Moreau's greatest role. Catherine completely obliterates archetypes, from the femme fatale to the manic pixie dream girl. This bohemian eccentricity and flighty romance is the epitome of the French New Wave, a movement that was, for me as many others, formative of a lifelong love for cinema. Perhaps this is that crusade's apotheosis. Years later, this movie still glows with the elation of passionate filmmaking and comforts like an old familiar blanket.
Rated 17 Jun 2018
I guess I never fully bought in to the love triangle here, making the whole story pretty strange (wasn't that a comedian's old line: "Take my wife, please"?). Because of that, perhaps, I found the narration a bit jarring and the clips of the fighting in the war a bit boring.
Rated 05 Feb 2010
watched: 2010, 2015
Rated 29 Oct 2014
Makes me feel so uncomfortably like in love. Stomach wrenches, and you blush and you want to hit some one.
Rated 18 Aug 2012
I fell in love with this movie. Friendship and love were never (and will never be) so beautifully portrayed.
Rated 17 Nov 2015
It's like Wages of Fear remake with a woman instead of nitrogliceryne and the ending is equally disappointing.
Rated 15 Oct 2013
a speedy romance filled with quirky editing. the convolutions of the breakups get tiresome after a while, but this warm and energetic film is largely a success.
Rated 24 Aug 2007
21 Agustos & ask ucgeni hic bu kadar iyi anlatilmamis, derin islenmemisti... ikinci izleyis; kasim 2012, zevahir.
Rated 17 Oct 2010
"Jules and Jim is sad yet humorous, breathless yet contemplative, universal yet hermetic." - Chuck Rudolph
Rated 21 Nov 2017
Beautifully crafted but I found the love story fairly whimsical and couldn't warm to the character of Catherine.
Rated 21 Mar 2018
Francois Truffaut's arguable masterpiece in a filmography full of masterpieces ready to be argued for, Jules and Jim is an eternal ode to boundless love.
Rated 30 Dec 2011
1962. Remember that! 1962, this movie was made. And its everything we feel, when we watch our Noah Baumbachs, our Wes Andersons, our Sofia Coppolas or - if it is absolutely necessary - our Judd Apatows. Its the movie, we all would've been crazy about, when we were born 1944. We would've watched it 100 times - because there wouldn't have been anything else like it! Jules et Jim is one of that (really) few movies, you wish, you wouldn't have had used the word milestone that much! You need it here!
Rated 13 Jan 2010
Rated 03 Sep 2008
obra de um sonhador.
Rated 08 Jun 2022
Solid film with an interesting love triangle. I think the main thing holding it back from a higher rating for me is Moreau. I'm not sure if it was casting, acting, or directing, but I just couldn't find her believable insofar as being a woman that would be likely to cause such obsession/devotion in so many men. She's not bad or anything, but I think for this to work better for me I would have had to understand what all the fuss about her was about and I didn't get that.
Rated 26 Dec 2015
A very poor attempt at modernita
Rated 06 Sep 2021
Never put your dick in crazy. What is wrong with these people?