2003
Drama, Suspense/Thriller
The Bride wakes up after a long coma. The baby that she carried before entering the coma is gone. The only thing on her mind is to have revenge on the assassination team that betrayed her - a team she was once part of.
Directed by:
Kill Bill

2003
Drama, Suspense/Thriller

Rated 06 Jun 2007
Tarantino is one sick bastard. And I mean that in the best way possible.
Tarantino is the man. He combined the barbie appeal of Uma Thurman with the nerdy samurai/ninja lovefest that kung fu geeks can't get enough of. The cover of the DVD is heart of this movie's purpose: sexy Uma Thurman in that Bruce Lee outfit with a katana!
Rated 06 Jan 2016
Well maybe if they had those katana holsters on planes 9/11 could've been thwarted with sweet and righteous Hanzo steel
A surprisingly good movie. For all of his hypocrisy, QT is a good filmmaker, and this one doesn't disappoint. Though I must say if you take it seriously (which it shouldn't be), you're in for a very unpleasant surprise.
I've gotta say Uma Thurman's lack of acting skill is getting to me. Her delivery is just so wrong sometimes. It's not always her fault... sometimes the dialogue is wrong. Also, I think Tarantino's a fucking liar when he says he never saw The Bride Wore Black. Still, these films are relentlessly entertaining and stylistically delectable, with fun surprises all over the place.
Rated 01 Aug 2009
I love this film. The changing in style and pace right throught the film is a refreshing change and is more pronounced than in Tarantino's previous outings. Thurman is excellent, and the supporting cast more than adequate (Lucy Liu in particular is very good). The fights are bloody and beautiful and the plot involving and entertaining. The film leaves you begging for Volume 2 by the end of its runtime. Class.
Rated 01 Mar 2007
"I have a great idea, let's rip off a bunch of scenes from all kinds of Hong Kong martial arts and action movies but with none of the style or skill and the idiot moviegoing public will lap it up". Well played Quentin, you may have fooled them but you can't fool me. Some of the tunes aren't bad though, you can have 20 points for that.
Tarantino trying to make a comic-strip-like movie. And that's what it is, basically. Lots of stylized violence, lame, dull and moronic.
This movie kicks ass. It's just awesome, and is a great display of Tarantino at his best. The central performance by Uma Thurman is so good she should have been nominated for an Oscar. This is an often hilarious, action-packed revenge epic.
All violence, very little of the clever, witty interaction that made Reservoir dogs and Pulp Fiction
(Violence from Reservoir Dogs + Violence from Pulp Fiction) - (Witty Dialogue from previously mentioned 2 movies) x (A lot of stuff ripped off from Q.T.'s favorite samurai movies/anime) = Kill Bill: Volume 1
Rated 21 Jul 2008
A blood-soaked masterpiece from Quentin Tarantino!
Rated 05 Jul 2009
Whoever said that Substance is more important than style has never sat through Kill Bill. This is Quentin Tarantino at his absolute best, serving up a strange but compelling story and an action movie absolutely drenched in style. The action is fantastic, and there isn't a single shot that could be called visually dull. From the strange opening chapter to the showdown at the house of blue leaves, every moment stuns. This one is destined to be a cult classic.
Rated 18 Dec 2009
Stylistically, Kill Bill is fantastic. With amazing fight scenes and interesting direction the film comes alive during these graphic sequences. Between these however, I was left feeling uncomfortable with the slightly slapdash plotline and strange character developments. Nevertheless the oddball style is involving, especially when coupled with the soundtrack and similarities to the "revenge" films. Not bad, but beyond all the senseless violence for me it didn't really have much substance.
Rated 07 Feb 2011
"Kill Bill: Volume 1 is essentially a pop culture wanker's failed multimedia experiment, a vacuous junk heap of dorky gags and riffs, violent anime and offensive slapstick." - Ed Gonzalez
Rated 03 Dec 2006
Zenith.
This has got to be one of my favorite movies. What's better than a heroine kicking every one of her nemises asses? Uma Thurman being that heroine. I always thought she was an ok actress, this made me completely respect her and her craft.
Stylish and fun.
Pure entertainment. Tarantino took a risk by taking away his multilayered stories, and to some extent, his fantastic dialogue, but it pays off. The fight scenes (my favorite being the one with the Crazy 88s) were fantastic, and Uma Thurman's cheesy one-liners were awesome.
A blood-drenched, pop-rocks-and-coke exploitation throwback that's like peering into the mind of a hyperactive teenager-at-heart who's seen too many movies (precisely because that's what it is).
An enthralling pastiche of film genres, directed with a breathless pace from Tarantino. Film doesn't get much more electric than Tarantino's lightning rod.
Rated 08 Oct 2007
Tarantino backs with the whole strength! The movie is marvellous, outspoken, bloodthirsty. Masterpiece.
Rated 12 Oct 2008
Overrated and dumb.
Rated 26 Oct 2008
(after repeat viewings): I always found the fight scene with the Crazy 88's to be drawn-out and out of sync with the film's tone, but otherwise, the acting, story and direction were outstanding.
Rated 25 Jul 2009
Wanted to love it, but the fights are terrible and the story is the same as Steven Seagal's "Hard To Kill". When you're ripping off a Seagal film it's time to pack it in.
Rated 09 Jan 2010
Kill Bill's a feast for the eyes. From the arterial spray of yakuza necks to Thurman's Game of Death jumpsuit, from the O-Ren anime to a savage fight to the death in a family kitchen, Tarantino assaults us with vivid imagery from start to finish. He also gets to play out his martial arts fantasies in a sprawling sequence of carnage, which is one of the most entertaining things put to film. When I was younger V. 2 seemed like a disappointment in comparison, but they work well as a cohesive whole.
Rated 26 Jul 2010
Until about the midpoint, "Kill Bill, Vol. 1" is deliciously trashy, stylish and harmless in a way only Tarantino could achieve. But once the Bride arrives at the House of Blue Leaves and the "epic" showdown between Thurman and the Crazy 88 begins, the film abruptly transcends from entertaining revenge flick to pure crap, and I don't mean that in a good way. Worth-watching only to get to the second part of the saga.
Rated 06 Sep 2012
Contrary to what seems to be the general consensus, I never enjoyed this quite as much as Vol. 2. The action scenes are great, and it sets the stage well for the conclusion, but I never quite connected with the characters like I did in the 2nd film. Still, it's an undoubtedly good film with a great leading performance from Uma Thurman.
Rated 09 Apr 2013
I've failed to find even one flaw in this movie. For me, this is Tarantino at his absolute best. He knows how to make violence look beautiful and entertaining like no other, and this movie is the indisputable proof of that talent. He decided to drop a lot of what made Pulp Fiction such an entertaining movie, to focus on delivering a to-the-point tale of revenge, with an unmatched sense of grace and style. A fantastic movie in every single way.
Rated 02 Feb 2015
QT always strikes me as a rather juvenile schoolboy with an unlimited toybox to play with. Sometimes his imagination works brilliantly, and his novel approach to film making produces something pretty spectacular ... and other times it smacks of a pubescent kid jerking off under the sheets whilst reading "Rustler" .. Kill Bill is the latter. It's nothing more than a poorly "executed" and "unbelievable" mass murder, encapsulated in a wafer thin and completely "unbelievable" story.
Rated 10 May 2015
A hack 'n slash videogame with a bad plot, but which you yourself are not playing.
Rated 11 Jan 2016
The showdown at the House of Blue Leaves holds up. It's as cool and exciting as back in 2003. The rest of the film I could take or leave, but I'd take most of it over most of the stuff in Volume 2.
Rated 07 May 2016
Not quite funny enough to function as parody and not convincing enough with its martial artistry to satisfy as action - the whole thing would have been better served as an animation project, which was the only scene here that could be taken remotely seriously. Everything else is a little too fetishized for my taste.
Rated 12 Aug 2017
I recognise that this is wonderfully staged, but I don't care for the way it goes on and on and on. Someone needed to edit this down to something more consumable.
Rated 06 Mar 2018
Vols 1 & 2 taken in concert represent an electric distillation of all facets of Tarantino's film-making savvy - the breathless pacing of Vol 1 giving way to the more languid, thoughtful pacing of Vol 2 (though the buried alive sequence is as discomforting as any horror sequence in recent memory). A master film-maker at the peak of his powers, drawing unexpectedly excellent performances from his cast - Thurman is sensational at the centre, but Liu, Madsen and especially Hannah are equally fine.
Rated 20 Jul 2019
Unfortunately, wasn't the exact picture QT wanted. He was really aiming for a 2-hour uninterrupted shot of Thurman's feet, instead of it being cut down to the minute we ended up seeing.
Rated 31 Aug 2022
a 'top 10 anime deaths' compilation video masquerading as an entire film
Rated 29 Dec 2006
Lives in my DVD player.
Rated 20 Jan 2007
black mamba
Rated 18 Feb 2007
An absolute blast to watch. Funny, exciting and stylish while retaining a very strong sense of character, with a fantastic story and an equally compelling structure. Tarantino pulls out all his creative stops - the amazing soundtrack, countless references to other movies, gorgeous use of B&W, non-linear storytelling, and on and on. Completely awesome.
Rated 27 Feb 2007
This film is hard to put my finger on. I waiver from viewing to viewing but it does grow on you. It just isn't Tarantino's best/
Rated 22 Mar 2007
Very exciting. Not just because it's all stylish and cool and has a great soundtrack, but also because it's the kind of film people stay up late dreaming out loud about "how cool it would be to do this and this." Tarantino, lucky duck, actually got to.
Rated 25 Mar 2007
This movie was fucking fantastic. Not a dull moment. Tarantino actually managed to blend together all sorts of genres seamlessly. He picked an amazing soundtrack. Stylized gore and over-the-top characters at their bests. Better than the second volume, which seems to slow down, but both work amazingly well. I went to the theaters for this one with high expectations, and for once wasn't let down.
Rated 18 May 2007
Just brilliant. Characters who are all great in their own way , and Tarantino who is just great as always and again shows that he is (one of) the best director/writer there is. The anime scene was alsow cool. And if you don't like this film ' I collect your fucking head '!
Rated 26 May 2007
What's with the foot shots?
Rated 11 Jun 2007
I hate violence in movies, but I got totally into this.
Rated 15 Jul 2007
Holy shit! An action movie with bad-ass heroines that doesn't require constant makeup-retouches and tits displayed like gold-framed Van Goghs! Uma Thurman was not afraid to grunt and sweat in this one, and she didn't have to defer to any tougher, SMARTER male superior during her fight sequences. Cool fight scenes. Good stuff.
Rated 17 Jul 2007
Initially I had given this a 100, because after watching it, all I could think was "I LOVED that movie!" Then, after awhile, I realized that it was the thinking that was lacking. It is the only thing lacking, but a movie need to be at least a little bit cerebral for me to give it a 100.
Rated 04 Aug 2007
Quentin Tarantino's epic love poem for Kung Fu B-movies. Awesome fights1
Rated 11 Aug 2007
Quentin Tarantino is a talent-less maggot with the mind of a steel cesspool, and his work grows more worthless and offensive with each new project.
Great storytelling and proof Tarantino is a master craftsman.
Unstoppably stylish. Chiba appears for mere moments yet steals the show.
I have yet to get tired of this.
One of the greatest action-intensive films of all time... Style, action sequences and dialogue come together in a way only Quention Tarantino could do.
Just sick enough.
Frantic and violent, Tarantino delivers a powerful film about revenge.
The first half of "Kill Bill" is all style and no sense. I'm not saying that's bad, though, because Tarantino's got style enough for three such flicks. As a prologue to Vol.2 it is brilliant; as a standalone film pretty good.
Quentin Tarentino = blood and twisted movies. Pretty good.
Violence! I love violence!! Go Uma Thurman!
Sharp dialogue and sharp swords. Looks great and sounds even greater. Begins well and ends... in the second movie.
Kicks ass.
Starring Michael Jai White!? It's pretty awesome - a visual treat full of violence and stylistic references. And this is the only time I've ever taken Daryl Hannah seriously.
One of my favorite movies, the action the story all packed together is one of THE greatest things ever.
Brilliant!
Tarantino is not a very good action director.
My favorite of the two. It's a violent, stylish love letter to film nerds and kung fu junkies packaged with a crazy appealing leading lady. The Crazy 88 battle is one of the best staged, shot, and edited fight scenes ever.
Rated 21 Aug 2007
Excellent.
Rated 12 Oct 2007
One of the most entertaining movies ever, and the soundtrack is fucking brilliant. It isn't a perfect movie. But it's a perfect movie for me.
Rated 21 Oct 2007
About as perfect of a movie as I can conceive. Uma Thurman is perfect in this role, as are all the other characters. Tarantino has achieved perfection with this movie. Loved the chemistry, the charisma of the characters, the music throughout, the colors, the way it was filmed. Exquisite and ecstatic approximate how good it was.
Rated 08 Nov 2007
one of the best movies of all times
Rated 06 Mar 2008
When I saw it, this was the most violent movie I think I'd ever seen. It was hilarious. I loved it. Nothing wrong with this movie.
Rated 14 Mar 2008
Tarantino seems at times to be a little bit too unhinged, incapable of knowing when he's crossed a line into unfunny or when he's taking himself too seriously. Hence a retro action throwback that opens with a graphic headshot, jokes about the supposed rape of the comatose and has more violence directed at women than the sum of lifetime original movies. You'll watch it for the iconic swordfight and that's it.
Rated 14 Apr 2008
SHE WAS GREAT FOR THIS ROLE
Rated 08 Jul 2008
Whoosh.
Rated 10 Jul 2008
The world needs more movies with heroines like the Bride. Excellent music, witty lines and a great cast. It's bloody stylish, too.
Rated 26 Nov 2008
Good movie, Tarantino is one of the best directors but sometimes I thought it was a bit too much.. All well done, nice, the action is just.. wow, diallogues.. damn, .. but maybe a bit too much though. But it just is a good movie.
Rated 18 Jan 2009
One of the reasons why Tarantino is one of the few people in Hollywood who can get away with stealing ideas, releasing them every once in a great while, and people love him for it. Kill Bill is his loving tribute to Kung Fu films of the '70s and it shows. With some of the genre actors present and a story of revenge so bold, you WANT the heroine to suceed, you really can't go wrong here. And the fighr with The Bride vs. The Crazy 88 is one of my favorite films brawls of all time.
Rated 31 Jan 2009
Masterpiece of modern film. I don't even know what to say about the Kill Bill movie(s). If you haven't seen it, quit wasting your time reading this, and go buy it. Don't bother renting it - you'll just be angry you have to take it back. Buy it. NOW!! You can thank me later.
Rated 04 Feb 2009
Tarentino's adrenaline pumping first installment of the Kill Bill epic is one of the coolest things I've ever seen on the Big Screen. Great action, an interesting story that remains mysterious in this installment, and something you don't always find in an action piece, awesome music.
Rated 01 Apr 2009
Watchable but paper thin Tarantino. One of his movies about all of the other movies he's watched.
Rated 07 May 2009
Revenge is sweet and very very bloody, don't mess with this bride.
Rated 14 Jul 2009
This was definitely my favorite of the two. I loved the action and the soundtrack that complimented it. It just seemed to move faster than the second one. This was my first Tarantino movie I got to see in theaters and for that I it will always have sentimental value.
Rated 19 Aug 2009
Heaven help me, I don't know why but I absolutely loved Kill Bill, with Volume 1 being my favorite. Lots of quotable lines, lots of blood, a samurai sword, kung fu, a pussy wagon, you name it!
Rated 06 Dec 2009
Vol. 1 edges Vol. 2 by a slice.
Rated 06 Mar 2010
Tarantino is back with a vengeance. The first of two volumes of what originally was supposed to be a single film. Tarantino joyfully and masterfully immerses the audience in the different styles and ultraviolence of the Asian cinema he loves so much, even using anime for one backstory sequence, with some spaghetti western and '70s TV added for spice. His trademark sharp dialogue is not as plentiful as in the past, but what's here is layered, sometimes moving, and often humorous.
Rated 14 May 2010
So iconic. So many great scenes. Such wonderful violence. So many well choreographed fights. Such great cinematography. Such great use of music...so very, very little advancement in the plot.
Rated 25 Sep 2010
Very entertaining and stylish, but I haven't seen it since it was released. Definitely one to re-visit.
Rated 29 Mar 2011
This just proves an action movie can not only be really damn good, but can pretty much be nothing but action. Also, I loved Tarantino's use of music. The version of Don't Let Me Be MIsunderstood by Santa Esmerelda is also really badass.
Rated 14 Nov 2011
simply the best movie that will ever exist.
Rated 17 Dec 2011
Great fun with lots of action and clever dialogue. Uma Thurman is great in the lead role. You must check this one out if you are a fan of revenge movies.
Rated 27 Jan 2012
"I beg you, walk away." "You call that begging? You can beg better than that."
Rated 05 Feb 2012
ohhhhh yea, so sick. beautifully bloody, great fight scenes, and awesome characters. This is splatter action at its best, i need more movies like this.
Rated 16 Jun 2012
One of my favorites! Tarantino's best.
Rated 11 Aug 2012
I thought this was a pretty flawless movie. Uma Thurman is really good, as is the supporting cast. Well acted from everybody, really well-written, and this was probably some of Tarantinos best directing as well. Great music score and a good sense of humor pretty much melt off of the screen, and plenty of blood of course. One if my favorite films.
Rated 10 Oct 2012
Best movie of the trilogy, really amazing and impressive.
Rated 22 Oct 2012
Whoever first recommended this to me, thank you, thank you thank you! I had every reason to hate this movie, excessive blood and gore, black and white sequences in a color movie, and the whole anime sequence. Yet, I loved it!
Rated 24 Nov 2012
The original kill bill was a treat to watch. Tarantino exceeds himself this time too, delivering hsi best film since Pulp fiction.
Rated 27 Dec 2012
epic.
Rated 06 May 2013
Judging them both as one film, as was intended, "Kill Bill" is as close to perfection as cinema gets. For me, anyway.
Rated 30 Nov 2013
Tarantino, what can I say? I hate violence; I hate long fight scenes; I hate violations of the laws of physics and biology; this isn't my kind of movie. But, at the same time, there is a level of STYLE to this movie I've never seen anywhere else. The Rule of Cool exists for films like this. The music, the visuals, the kick-ass female characters, the one-liners... everything is just perfect!

Directed by: