2012
Emile Hirsch plays a desperate Texas debtor who plots to kill his mother, with help of his family (Thomas Haden Church, Gina Gershon). They hire a crooked cop (Matthew McConaughey) to do the job, but Killer Joe asks for their teenage daughter (Juno Temple) as a "retainer." (tiff.net)

2012

Rated 02 Nov 2012
From doing bit-work on f*cking CSI and not having directed since Bug six years ago, William Friedkin, now 77, steps out of retirement with the cinematic equivalent of a bucket of KFC stuck right up Hollywood's ass. "Killer Joe" embodies everything good about Southern Gothic, Friedkin and not least its cast bringing out the best in everyone - McConaughey has never been better and deserves an Oscar. Yeah, you heard me. The last 30 minutes are among the most batshit crazy and entertaining in years.
Rated 15 Nov 2012
Many films are about Faustian bargains but only one has Matthew McConaughey. This is a surprising morally complex story of white trash intrigue. It goes beyond conventional morality plays because instead of being a devil, Joe is the old testament hand of god collecting his dues, perversely reclaiming the wayward Mary, and punishing the sinful. It sidesteps the simplistic seducing innocents trope. There are NO innocents. McConaughey's sick acting is a once in a lifetime role. Pass the K fry C.
Rated 25 Aug 2012
Hooooly shit. This is like William Faulkner and the Coen bros. wrote a screenplay together and it was adapted by...well, William Friedkin, who must have bigger balls than the rest of Hollywood combined. It's the most gleefully misanthropic, bleakest, most brutally hilarious dark comedy I've ever seen. It revels in squalor and vile behavior like few other films I've seen. Matthew McConaughey is revelatory.
Rated 28 Jan 2013
A tale of awful people doing awful things to awful people. There's one character in this that isn't irredeemably awful, but she is a bit... "special," confused and enigmatic enough to defy my attempts to relate to her. With no relatable characters, it can be tough to stomach this film that seems to love wallowing in its own trashiness. Uncomfortable, disturbing and McConaughey is surprisingly awesome as the crazy, calculating, and wholly terrifying titular character. An acquired taste, I'm sure.
Rated 26 Aug 2012
Heavily influenced by Faulkner's As I Lay Dying, Killer Joe is a genuinely twisted Southern Gothic story that's well-acted, well-paced,and incredibly violent. It's also darkly hilarious, and culminates in an unforgettable ending that will have your jaw plummeting to the basement.
Rated 09 Sep 2012
The neo-noir purveyor of filth, misogyny, and irreverence that stole my heart. At its core, Killer Joe is like The Big Lebowski, a nihilistic black-comedy that pays very little attention to who it might offend or to creating any sort of moral. However, unlike The Big Lebowski, Killer Joe doesn't have an unaffected, indifferent sort of protagonist. Every character in Killer Joe is highly invested in the plot and concerned with how it will play out.
Rated 29 Oct 2012
Raw, fantastic movie! You wanted meat and the movie doesn't bring you to the grocery store, it brings you directly to the butcher. Perfectly follows the evolving of the characters and shows extremely well the human nature and the best motivators out there - fear and money. I don't find the nudity scenes too hard to swallow - on the contrary - they give you that cynic, arrogant taste in you mouth, that you crave.
Rated 31 Dec 2012
"your eyes hurt." oh man. please, enter this depraved splurge of hicksploitative pus blind, or if you have any semblance of ethics or taste, maybe don't enter it at all. there are two scenes here that'll be talked about for decades to come.
Rated 04 Jul 2012
Incredibly entertaining, McConaughey revels in his role as the title character, Killer Joe. Thomas Haden Church once again proves his chops with a comedic turn, Gina Gershon spends most of her time wearing no underwear, and is very convincing as trailer trash. Juno Temple is magnificent as the twisted Cinderella of the story, and Emile Hirsch is one of the biggest idiots to hit the screen in a long time - that's a compliment by the way. Friedkin defied my expectations - the funniest film i've se
Rated 06 Jul 2012
I can't believe that this has been embraced by critics and the public, considering how bitter and sleazy the entire thing is. I'd like to think we've reached a time where people can put their morals aside and enjoy a film for what it is, which is an extremely bleak, darkly comic, quasi-sexual character study that also happens to be incredibly well acted (McConaughey is a revelation). The entire last scene is the tensest thing I've seen since Basterds' prologue. I'll be avoiding KFC for a while.
Rated 25 Aug 2012
As a film, KILLER JOE shows its stage roots too often, especially in Tracy Letts' script, which is structured like a play and sounds like one too; William Friedkin's direction doesn't open it up that much either, and the film adds up to not much more than a fable. But what a fable. The acting is superb, especially Matthew McConaughey as the fearsome Joe; the long final scene is a remarkable example of ensemble acting. And it earns its NC-17 rating; the "chicken leg" scene is unforgettable.
Rated 25 Aug 2012
This seems like a mutated retread of Fargo or No Country For Old Men, which isn't exactly a bad thing, but it doesn't punch you in the stomach in the way you might want it to. In fact, I didn't feel much of a punch at all. The characters are shown to be so profoundly moronic the entire thing is clearly a farce, and quite funny too, yet I could only be amused for so long before it began to overstay its welcome.
Rated 01 Sep 2012
It's certainly a weird movie. Lots of violence mixed with a few twists and loads of black humor. It is definitely a movie that will make you go WTF quite a few times. The script and the performances are really strong, though at times it does show its stage roots. Also, what kind of woman gets a shit-ton of plastic surgery, but doesn't get a bikini wax? I call bullshit.
Rated 23 Sep 2012
So there I was, laid back in my seat, enjoying my lightly salted popcorn when... HOLY SHIT ! Why is Gershon's poon staring me right in the face ?! Friedkin brings new meaning to the term subversive entertainment, crafting a rousing game of intimidation, misfired schemes and can of good ol' whoopass. As the credits rolled, I was still sitting there with a stupid grin on my face when it dawned on me how freaking cool this movie is. McConaughey rocks!
Rated 01 Nov 2012
Highly enjoyable rednexploitation noir. The style initially seems histrionic - there's a lot of drunken shouting in trailers - but slowly morphs into the darkest black comedy, gleefully delivering each of these despicable characters their comeuppance. The cast are all good, although Hirsch is a bit uneven, and it's very nicely photographed.
Rated 02 Dec 2012
I like to think that the fact I enjoyed this film far more than say, The Lady and the Tramp, can be attested to Disney's inherent inability to provide a realistic portrayal of character motive progression, leading the storytellers to oft fall back on tired stereotypes and forced arc resolutions...but it's probably that I'm just as fucked up as Killer Joe was.
Rated 20 Dec 2012
Dirty, crazy, immoral and frighteningly hard to look away from. No, I'm not talking about my mom. Well.. her too, but Killer Joe is no slouch either. One of those stories about horrible people doing horrible things to each other, with a crazy finale that left me cackling like a madman and then made me feel terrible about that. The cast is rock solid, with a deliciously unhinged McConaughey as the main draw.
Rated 28 Dec 2012
The first half feels a bit soft and too confused over itself, but the rest of the film picks up and continues to get better and better, until the demoniacally powerful and funny (depending on your sense of humour) 'K Fried C' scene that concludes the film on a shock of an ending.
Rated 01 Feb 2014
Oh look, the childbride revival! Great mix of rednexism, moral decay, awfulness, weird humor and abuse. I'm loving Matthew McConaughey more with every new film i watch, he sure does make'em happen!
Rated 17 Sep 2011
Hirsch is wildly uneven. In all fairness, the fault is probably Friedkin's who seems to revel in the perverse for the hell of it. I've always avoided KFC - and now I can never go (you'll see what I mean). Some of it is plain terrible. Other parts aren't half-bad. McConaughey's totally ruthless villain, though definitely not all too original, isn't without promise. Church (in a funny turn) and Gershon are convincing as extremely cynical trailer trash - not the most flattering compliment, perhaps.
Rated 22 Feb 2012
Ridiculously over-the-top in every way. Maybe thats the point - maybe this just isn't my kind of movie. I will say that this is definitely one of McConaughey's greatest roles as he is just pure shock and entertainment here. Some of this is fun but most is just too much to really enjoy.
Rated 10 Jul 2012
Brutally violent and infused with a pitch-black sense of humour, Killer Joe is at turns sickening, shocking and surprisingly funny. Rates among the more disturbing movies I've seen
Rated 01 Sep 2012
Bizarre, unique, well acted movie. McConaughey and Hirsch both show up for their best performances and Juno Temple makes a potentially annoying character very watchable. There is something inherently wrong with me that I bought friend chicken right after watching this movie.
Rated 02 Sep 2012
A viscerally thrilling, dirty, brutish, lurid, sleazy, blackly hilarious piece of nasty pulp fiction. It won't be for everyone by any means, but c'mon, how often do you see a movie these days that actually provokes a genuine reaction? That alone is so refreshing. McConaughey is exhilarating and deserves a Best Actor nomination.
Rated 20 Sep 2012
A hard-to-watch adaptation that is stolen from the leading men by the supporting ladies, who are excellent.
Rated 19 Oct 2012
Really, really well done. Powerful acting by all, especially McConaughey and Hirsch. It's dark humor is very, very dark, and moments of extreme violence or sadism can be subtly hilarious. Not for the squeamish, it is rated NC-17 for a reason.
Rated 20 Oct 2012
Very bizarre, I will never look at fried chicken the same way again. The ending was a bit of a let down though.
Rated 06 Jan 2015
Some well executed black comedy and acting is fantastic but sadly it loses the story in the finale. Quite weirdly, it feels the need to go into completely absurd territory to squeeze more shock out of the audience & handles it so hastily that the satire just turns to farce (kinda like Dr. Strangelove with the pie-fight ending). It's still an uncommonly powerful and nasty piece of work that successfully provokes a physical reaction in its audience. That's something I can easily admire nowadays.
Rated 11 Nov 2012
Well. I'm exceptionally disturbed.
Rated 14 Nov 2012
Best use of Clarence Carter's "Strokin' " award.
Rated 24 Nov 2012
A pig just flew past my window & news has just broken that hell has frozen over, & fuck me sideways here is Matthew McConaughey owning the shit out of a movie! Darkly comic, sadistic, multi-layered; doesn't just describe McConaughey's performance, but this movie as a whole also. Irritations include Hirsch's overacting & some dubious editing. Even so, the epic last 30 minutes are about as good as it gets, & there are several great moments, including Gershon's unexpected minge shot & SUCK IT!!
Rated 26 Nov 2012
This movie will just beat the everliving shit out of whatever expectations you brought in with you.
Rated 23 Dec 2012
That scene with Gina Gershon and the drumstick will haunt me forever.
Rated 23 Dec 2012
Welcome back Friedkin...you were sorely missed. Killer Joe is a fantastic example of Southern Gothic done right. You have a surprisingly good McConaughey (still manages to take his shirt off), a wonderfully entertaining Temple, irresistible squalor, and K Fry C. Loved it.
Rated 23 Dec 2012
bit of a tv-movie really, but the showstopping last 30 minutes makes up for a lot..
Rated 05 Jan 2013
:D ... ... ... D: CLARENCE CARTER CLARENCE CARTER CLARENCE CARTER CLARENCE CARTER OOOOOO SHIT CLARENCE CARTER
Rated 03 Oct 2017
(Viewed in 2012): It wallows in its trailer trash milieu a little too eagerly, but Killer Joe is easily Friedkin's best work in decades, although admittedly that wouldn't be hard. It's an over the top crime film with stereotypically dumb redneck characters and a sardonic tone that borders on misanthropy that is slightly reminiscent of the Coens only far less clever. McConaughey's performance as a fearsome corrupt cop is rightly praised, and the absurdist finale is outrageous and ballsy.
Rated 26 Jul 2014
The last 25 minutes contain perfect filmmaking.
Rated 17 Feb 2013
Friedkin and the cast are in top form, and there's depth to the nuts and bolts of the plot, but the film's attitudes are juvenile and blatantly exploitative, using violent sexual abuse to get laughs and serve as sophomoric commentary that's less anything insightful or uniquely American and more just the smug contempt of a city slicker reading the police blotter.
Rated 28 Aug 2022
Gross, rank southern-fried chamber piece made fascinating by a terrific cast - McConaughey plows straight up the centre and walks away with the film with at least two scenes of grotesque silliness, but it is Church who may be the true stealth scene stealer, supplying perfect reaction shots and responses every time. Plays with the low-key, demented energy of a crime snowballer without the forward momentum; more successful as an actor's (and director's) exercise than as satisfying drama.
Rated 01 Mar 2013
Here is a film that doesn't give a shit what you think of it. It's a film that teaches no lessons, asserts no moral stances, and presents no enviable characters. What it does is paint a picture of greed, desperation and decrepitude, with characters that are all atrocious to some degree. And what an entertaining picture it is. I laughed, I gasped, I squirmed and I needed a shower at the end. Only a talented filmmaker could make greed, desperation and decrepitude this much fun.
Rated 16 Mar 2013
You know, when a scene featuring a possessed 12-year-old girl masturbating with a crucifix isn't the most fucked up thing in your filmography, you're doing something...well, I'm not sure if it's something right or something wrong, but it's certainly something.
Rated 16 Apr 2013
can't help but wonder if McConaughey's drumstick was real or prosthetic.
Rated 21 Oct 2015
Weird darkly comic bumble-thriller stumbles aimlessly from place to place until twenty of the most batshit crazy last minutes of a film I've ever seen. I honestly don't know if I liked it at all. Really.
Rated 11 Jun 2013
Why is it that whenever they make a list of the most modest actresses, Gina Gershon always gets left off? It would have been awesome if they could've given a nod to A Time to Kill by having McConaughey say at the end of the chicken scene, "Now imagine it's dark meat."
Rated 18 Jun 2013
Great open, with people as dumb as those from "My Name Is Earl" trying to put together a horrifically dumb and cruel crime. Then we get about 60 minutes of nothing, followed by a 30-minute stagey gratuitous creep-fest that is more "Salo" than thrilling. I'm not offended by this, just bored.
Rated 03 Sep 2013
It's definitely an acquired taste. Except for arguably one, all of the characters are awful people. Juno looks all of 14 so her sex scenes are too creepy for words. Very dark humor, very realistic looking gore, kinda drags, but weirdly engaging.
Rated 21 Apr 2012
F#%k Yea !!!
Rated 12 Jul 2015
Underappreciated movie of 2012.
Rated 27 Mar 2014
Trying too hard to be everything it's not (interesting character piece, tense thriller, shocking drama), Joe never really threatens to pick up the quality despite having enough in it to keep you curious about what's going to happen next. Its theatre roots may be responsible here, although whether Hirsh & Church can blame their crappy performances on this is up for debate. Thank God for McConaughey - who once again is a clear cut above the rest - and Temple, who's also worth a mention.
Rated 16 Sep 2012
watched: 2012, 2015, 2017
Rated 16 Sep 2012
For the majority of the film, I wasn't sure if I should laugh or feel uncomfortable. I generally did both because there were a lot of old people sitting behind me. I doubted McConaughey's ability to play Joe, but he deserves an award, and Temple made trailer trash crazy endearing. Going into the theater, I wasn't sure if anything could truly be rated NC-17 in this age, but this film definitely earned it.
Rated 17 Sep 2012
Darkly funny, sometimes you feel uncomfortable, but you can't look away.
Rated 21 Sep 2012
I stroke it to the east. And I stroke it to the west. And I stroke it to the woman that I love the best. I be strokin'! This is amazing but goddamn if this is some bleak fucked up shit. I loved it and that might make me a bad person. Score is not a grade.
Rated 09 Jun 2018
Genuinely stunning. The plot is basically crazy, but the characters are believable in how they react at each step. The violence and sexual content are pretty extreme, but probably appropriate. The cast are uniformly excellent, especially Gina Gershon and Juno Temple. I think this film might have got a slightly lower score if I'd rated it immediately. I think I needed to digest it.
Rated 20 Oct 2012
I really like a lot about this, but I'm not sure. Tentative score, have to watch it again. What can be said is that it was refreshing, and it will grow a following.
Finger lickin' good?
Rated 20 Oct 2012
Bizarre at the best of times but the acting and direction is excellent.
Rated 21 Oct 2012
Admirable, well-made to a fault, chock-full of striking performances...but goddamn. Just about the grimiest, ugliest, most unpleasant thing I've seen in some time. As relentlessly hard-boiled and coldhearted as some of Jim Thompson's nasty stuff. Approach at your own risk...
Rated 24 Oct 2017
Starts and ends with a bang, and because it's a play it has a cool structure, but of course that makes it inherently uncinematic. And certain sections remind one of why Friedkin doesn't make movies anymore. Honestly I feel kinda depressed that I just watched Gina Gershon getting messed up like that. Wasn't on my bucket list.
Rated 29 Oct 2012
The first half is not that great but after that it gets interesting. Good acting all around.
Rated 30 Oct 2012
30 Ekim 2012 & Rahatsiz edici olusundan hosnut kaldigim ve hatta tahrik oldugum iki adet cinsel icerikli sahneye (Joe'nun 12 yasindaki Dottie ile seksi & tavuk buduna sakso ceken yuzu kan icerisinde, limeli akmis mature kadin) sahip, atmosferi ile kendisini izlettiren bir is. Aslinda tum film, Dottie karakterinin 'tanima gelmez kadinlik isiltisi' uzerine kurulu.
Rated 08 Nov 2012
Weird in so many ways. Mostly because McConaughey is so fucking awesome and because The fingerlicking good chicken is used in a whole new and very creative way!
Rated 16 Nov 2012
Extremely gruesome violence, a great Southern Gothic feel, a fantastic performance by McConaughey (and really everyone else, but him being the most important character in the movie, he really shines). I didn't know what to expect going in but Killer Joe managed to be really dark and yet pretty funny at times. If you want an intense movie with pitch-black humor that will probably manage to make you uncomfortable at least once, check this out.
Rated 21 Nov 2012
Dirty dipshits do desperate deeds. This has one amazing sequence, some tension and a whole bunch of bizarre, derivative, exploitive filler. Great presence from McConaughey in his best performance in forever. Church, who at first seems bored, is great at playing a defeated man who goes with the flow no matter how damned the situation or choices are. He simply doesn't have a brain in his head...silly scarecrow.
Rated 30 Nov 2012
The pleasure of watching McConaughey strut, preen, and menace his way through this Southern-fried black comedy (at least I think it's a comedy) isn't quite enough to save Killer Joe. The whole movie has something tonally off about it, not to mention a theatricality that works against it in a way Bug's didn't.
Rated 09 Dec 2014
The ending left me breathless. Gripping and beautiful piece of cinema. Friedkin is really on point.
Rated 08 Feb 2014
The final scene is why I fucking love movies. Everything building up to that point was excellent, but the climax brought every component into a perfect, mesmerizing, terrifying, and captivating experience.
Rated 10 Dec 2012
Crazy that Matthew McConaughey came back for this--yet another TEXAS CHAINSAW MASSACRE.
Rated 13 Dec 2012
I don't know quite what to make of this one. It wasn't exactly bad, but I didn't like it either. The character of Killer Joe was kinda interesting, but I don't think Matthew McConaughey was good enough to truly pull it off. I have to say, the ending was one of the most amazing/bizarre I've ever seen.
Rated 17 Dec 2012
Wow this movie is ten shades of messed up and yet somehow I loved it. I'll tell you though, I am still feeling the tension of this film even as the credits are rolling and I'm writing this review. McConaughey was just as crazy as usual, back to the days of his Texas Chainsaw Massacre movie. Juno Temple was amazing as the simple girl who is used as sexual collateral. She had to do some hard scenes but pulled them off very well. It's such a complex movie that it begs to be watched again.
Rated 22 Dec 2012
Brilliant. Chicken dick.
Rated 13 Sep 2014
Slow, meandering, visceral, and weird. Perfectly cast, with stellar performances all around. A near-flawless work that I do not want to watch ever again.
Rated 23 Dec 2012
Ooh,this is hopelessly dark. No light at the end of the tunnel, everything is pitch-black. The problem is that humor needs some kind of shade and i know which scenes were intended for beeing pretty funny but sadly often it just wasn't anymore.
Rated 24 Dec 2012
One of the best movies of the year. Lurid, visceral, uncomfortably hilarious. McConaughey at his absolute best, with good performances from the rest of the cast as well. And that final 15 minutes or so is the kind of filmmaking that'll be burned in your mind forever. (two times)
Rated 25 Dec 2012
Perfect end credits song.
Rated 26 Dec 2012
Not Friedkin's best work, but great regardless. It's a whirlwind of moods and tones and it fucks with your emotions in really interesting ways. The climax is as silly as it is grotesque - while you're enamoured and overjoyed by the extravagance and absurdity of it, your stomach is tied up in knots.
Rated 11 Sep 2014
One of the more fucked up movies and movie endings I've seen.
Rated 01 Jan 2013
McConaughey takes on a killer of a character in what seemed like a promising film. With a slow burning plot, repetitive and non atmospheric scenes, it is left to the actors and for the most part they do a good job. The trashy setting and characters did little to help the film develop because there was no rationality to anything any of these characters decided too do. The screenplay was marred by cheesy dialogue and awkward long winded scenes that seemed to lead nowhere.
Rated 03 Jan 2013
Well shit.
Rated 03 Jan 2013
Dark and enjoyable. Some of the scenes could have been left out and you wouldn't have known. Some of the scenes will have you fixated but then sort of let you down. Even the at the end you feel they could have taken it just slightly further and slightly darker.
Rated 03 Feb 2024
A white-trash schlockfest that's supposed to make you laugh while you recoil. Sadly, it's dull and inept. The cinematography is strictly amateur hour, the acting is piss-poor, and the writing is worse. Killer Joe thinks it's provocative and shocking. But the only thing shocking here is how bad it is -- and that so many people rate it so highly.
Rated 04 Feb 2013
Great performances and an original story. Bloody good fun!
Rated 04 Feb 2013
Weird doesn't even begin to describe it, but there's nothing wrong with that. If you can tale some dark, and I mean DARK, comedy, you'll be able to put being creeped out aside and enjoy this one.
Rated 12 Mar 2018
#18#, exp3, rw2, story, ratings, (cast).
Rated 20 Mar 2013
I am not interested in seeing McConaughey rape young girls.
Rated 23 Mar 2013
Dialogue, cast and art and sound design all terrific. Over the top performances (Friedkin is not a subtle director). Thomas Haden Church plays possibly the dumbest character you have ever seen on film. Great spoof of Texan lowlife. Might put this stylistically up there with Altman's The Long Goodbye.
Rated 07 Apr 2013
A bold and gutsy farce among the oddest, trashiest, and most absurd films I've ever seen. And it's awesome. Friedkin directs with kinetic force, keeping the film swift and hard hitting. Matthew McConaughey demonstrates considerable chops.
Rated 16 Jan 2022
The performances were all good and the story was well told even if there was nothing new or original about it. The ending was a bit abrupt but overall I enjoyed the movie.
Rated 19 Sep 2015
You can't say Friedkin has gotten soft in his old age. A brutally cynical and twisted story about people getting themselves into an increasingly horrid situation, oddly compelling despite a dearth of sympathetic characters. The ending is wonderfully ostentatious.
Rated 02 Apr 2014
A sharply put together and compellingly paced dark and disturbing fable.
Rated 04 Aug 2013
Excellent
Rated 11 Aug 2013
A deliciously perverse movie that anchors around a riveting performance from Matthew McConaughey, who slips between gentlemanly and monstrous from film to film and scene to scene. I'm not sure if I fully approve of the resolution, but then this is definitely not a film that's looking for anyone's approval. This world is twisted beyond hope for redemption, and along those lines is quite funny at times. Recommended if you have a strong stomach.
Rated 17 Jun 2021
what's a parody without humor? incredibly bad lighting & cinematography and an unbearable performance by emile hirsch.
Rated 02 Jul 2018
gives a new meaning to choking chicken
Rated 11 Oct 2015
Terrifying performance by McConaughy
Rated 14 Oct 2013
This film singlehandedly restored my faith in the power of film to shock and stimulate the senses and psyche. Gershon and McCounaughey's performances can only be described as bravura.
Rated 16 Oct 2013
Rated 08 Nov 2013
Puta que pariu. Filme obrigatório dos anos 2010, embora a ambiguidade de meus sentimentos para com ele seja infinita, especialmente porque a misoginia nele é fortemente escancarada.
Rated 11 Nov 2013
I have mixed feelings about this. It's building up suspense for quite some time and I was already thinking it was all gonna go down the drain as the story felt like it was lost half time in. But then everything seemed to happen at once and I felt properly 'entertained'. Other good things are McConaughey's performance and some of the dialogue.