2024
A man seeks to break free from his predetermined path, a cop questions his wife's demeanor after her return from a supposed drowning and a woman's quest to locate an extraordinary individual prophesied to become a renowned spiritual guide.

2024

Rated 15 Jun 2024
a cinematic exercise in the hegelian master and slave dialectic of subversion and inversion. the triptych functions as a cyclical babushka doll, where each section becomes the dream/nightmare/reality of the other. requires multiple viewings.
Rated 06 Jun 2024
"Kinds Of Kindness" is off to a slow, underwhelming start with the first segment, which holds few surprises and ends as soon as it starts to get interesting. The other two segments are a little more engaging and their subject matter seems meaty yet is undermined by the approach (slow pace, unnatural acting, sudden jolts of shock value) instead of being accentuated. In the end, the macabre playfulness and humour are lost in a film too dense and stiff to become cerebrally or emotionally appealing.
Rated 28 Jun 2024
Much at work here, the stilted dialogue and absurdity of the premises makes for some of the best dry humor I've seen in a while. Despite the intentionally wooden direction, the cast is phenomenal bringing subtleties to each character and performance that justifies its place in the nadir of the uncanny valley. Had the first segment been a 100 minute feature, it would have been my favorite of the year. Alas, the other uneven 2nd and 3rd bring down the average to just "good"
Rated 29 Jun 2024
Food for the sickos, nourishment for the sickos. If you watched Poor Things and wished Emma Stone actually had punched that baby, this is the movie for you.
Rated 29 Jun 2024
Yorg back on his psycho shit, an incredibly funny and wildly unnerving look at the lengths people will go to for love and obsession (not that there’s much of a difference in this movie). Hard to rank the sections although I think the first would be at the bottom as I found it a bit overlong and repetitive. Insane performances and gorgeous cinematography with a great stilted tone that really enhances the humour. Wild and wonderful!
Rated 30 Jun 2024
Clearly a "one for you one for me" situation after Poor Things. Similar in strangeness and tone to NIMIC. Three thinly connected stories about systems of control and bad masters. I felt like some of the nonsense could've been cut to make the stories more lucid and harsh, the 2nd one had a particularly odd pacing that blunted the punchline.
Rated 18 Jul 2024
“The fundamental problem of political philosophy is still precisely the one that Spinoza saw so clearly, and that Wilhelm Reich rediscovered: ‘Why do men fight for their servitude as stubbornly as though it were their salvation?’". Depressive functioning is striking here: dependency, idealisation, and pathological reparation across work, relationships, and groups. Indeed the dreams of the Other can mess us up.
Rated 08 Jul 2024
lanthimos' desire to disturb his audience overrides his narrative now
Rated 13 Jul 2024
Three 21st century style Greek myths. And as tragicomedies, they are cautionary tales, make no mistake about it. I disagree with most; the running time is fine (it's not too long).
Rated 10 Jul 2024
A bit hit 'n miss but despite the bloated runtime never boring.
Rated 08 Jul 2024
Domination, gaslighting, coercive control: a triptych of explorations of intimate violence.
Rated 08 Jul 2024
The first and the third ones are great. The second one is too off for me.
Rated 08 Jul 2024
Well acted and directed and I liked stories and set up but boy they've got too long running time!
Rated 08 Jul 2024
Starts off great with an excellent first chapter - one that boasts various elements that made movies like The Lobster so great: the wickedly funny humor and compelling premise - before eventually losing momentum with the following 2 segments. It’s as if he considered his audience, only to become self-indulgent as the film progressed. Turn the first chapter into a feature and you have an great film.
Rated 07 Jul 2024
Part 1: Basically what would happen if you got ChatGPT to make a Yorgos Lanthimos film. Part 2: Turns into a nonsensical parody of itself and it's STILL the best segment. Part 3: Has the most interesting concept, yet ends up being the least interesting one here. Its saving grace comes in the last minute AFTER the cast list.
Rated 06 Jul 2024
First film I’ve walked out of the cinema of. 2/7
Rated 05 Jul 2024
I have a complicated history with Yorgos Lanthimos films, and this fits directly in the middle of that. On one hand this is incredible. The production design, cinematography, casting and acting are all phenomenal. On the other hand it's at times slow, and can feel like it's operating on a level I don't entirely understand even when the plot is relatively straightforward. Longtime fans of Lanthimos should delight in this, but under no circumstance is it winning over new ones.
Rated 04 Jul 2024
A highly entertaining Lanthimos romp.
Rated 03 Jul 2024
A second viewing needed, but a question this film's trying to get at seems to be: is some form of control actually the kind of kindness people need for living?
Rated 02 Jul 2024
Lanthimos reaches a single point with Kinds of Kindness: the factors that lead kind individuals to cruelty. This time, humanity's spiritual quest, sexual hunger, paranoia and dark fantasies are at the center. The film is also based on Hegel's master-slave dialectic. In other words, we watch characters struggling to recognize each other's independence. Thus, the paradox of dependency based on trust comes face to face with the effort for personal liberation without being tied down.