Kingdom of the Planet of the Apes
Years after the events of War for the Planet of the Apes (2017), many ape clans have emerged in the oasis to which Caesar led his fellow apes, while humans have regressed into a feral state. One ape leader prevents the teachings of Caesar to enslave other clans in search of the last traces of a secret human technology, while another ape embarks on a journey to find freedom alongside a human girl (wikipedia.com).

Kingdom of the Planet of the Apes

2024
Sci-fi
Action

Rated 11 May 2024
Struggles to evolve. Where the previous three films managed to offer clean (if occasionally blunt) allegories to work alongside its spectacle and enticing character work, Kingdom spills out an ersatz grab-bag of thematic ideas that go nowhere meaningful, and scatters them among an apathetic ensemble of characters. The pacing is staggeringly sluggish and even the visuals, while impressive, lack the boldness of Reeves' previous two films. Mostly, I was bored.
Rated 10 May 2024
Very good!! I think it's my favorite story out of the four reboots. Some slightly underdeveloped characters including our main one. Lot of cliches or predictable moments as well. These movies are all pretty simple, but their execution (especially visually) makes me forget some of that. This fits into the series seamlessly, I hope we get many more.
Rated 11 May 2024
Feels great to finally be back in this universe. It’s as visually pleasing and lush as one would expect from these movies anymore, and while I don’t think it’s quite as compelling as the most recent trilogy, I thought some of the characters were likable enough, and more than anything, the lore and world-building was fascinating and handled beautifully. Great acting and pacing helped a lot given the length and heavy-lifting. Not amazing but I’m craving that next movie.
Rated 08 May 2024
With state of the art special effects and a promising ending the tenth entry keeps the franchise in very good shape.
Rated 18 May 2024
The fact that Disney insisted on making one of the apes gay might have put me off completely but the worldbuilding takes so long & the film is paced sooo slowly that I forgot. Worse is the 2nd half's "world" feels too generic & created 2 big plotholes: How did the evil Ape King know the truth about the girl? Why is Noah so mad at the girl? She saved them. Also: the film's big "twist" in its final minutes is explaining why the girl is actually not a Mary Sue. But until then she's frustrating
Rated 12 May 2024
It's neat how it's playing with Caesar's legacy and the different ways this was construed and there's a solid hook about the inheritable rights of humanity being at odds with the apes, but it suffers from just being underbaked with these things and the general spectacle being among the weakest within the reboot films. We're told that humans have become devolved into being animalistic in intelligence but we don't see much of this and the way humanity is presented would make you think otherwise.
Rated 12 May 2024
so boring, I'm so tired of the big eyed chimp looking so curious
Rated 11 May 2024
Kingdom’s premise is far & away one of the best premises I’ve seen in awhile. This individual story fits perfectly into franchise, as a continuation, but distant sequel that allows for a lot of allegories and discussions beyond the film itself. To some degree though, this film lacks the depth & characters of the previous movies, and wether that’s due to slower pacing because of this new introduction or something else going on will remain to be seen. Still, Wes Ball did a very solid job here.
Rated 27 May 2024
Worst of the series.
Rated 10 Jul 2024
The visual effects and cinematography in "Kingdom of the Planet of the Apes" are outstanding. The performances by the ape characters convey genuine emotion, which is unexpectedly impactful. However, the storyline felt predictable and seemed to be laying the groundwork for future films.
Rated 29 May 2024
Love the franchise so kinda had high expectations. The first 3 movies are better, but all over decent movie. Could have been so much better tough. Ceasar missing may have a thing to do with it.
Rated 31 May 2024
C - Chekhov's seawall.
Rated 20 Jul 2024
About on par with Rise. It's lesser than the two Reeves movies in all ways but that doesn't mean any of it is bad. It's the opposite because Ball overachieved. It's pretty, good story, fun action. You can see the pain on their faces when ape or human are forced to kill their own kind. It's also a testament to the last trilogy that Caesar was written so well that he is able to loom over everything emotionally like he does. This continuation is off to a good start.
Rated 31 May 2024
There wasn’t anything that hadn’t been done or seen before and the pacing was too slow to be involving. A couple of set pieces grabbed interest but overall quite dull
Rated 02 Jun 2024
A good half of this movie was expository dialogue covering the original trilogy. The plot was bare bones and it all just felt like a big set up for the next film or series of films. The visuals are phenomenal, but the substance is not there. Decent, but nothing special.
Rated 05 Jun 2024
Feels like the wheels are stuck in the mud a bit. Feels like they’re just treading water. Other similes etc
Rated 11 Jun 2024
Good performances, incredible CGI. Too long and lacked, momentum and the world building was a bit thin
Rated 22 Jun 2024
Easily the best of the newest bunch. Patient, mean and often exciting.
Rated 26 Jun 2024
Where was all that water going?
Rated 03 Jul 2024
"Kingdom of the Planet of the Apes" continues the franchise with a visually stunning and emotionally engaging story. Noa's journey from resilience to leadership, amid a backdrop of natural beauty and barbaric apes, is compelling. The film explores themes of compassion and Caesar’s legacy, though it occasionally drags in the third act. Strong performances, especially from Noa’s actor, and impressive production make it a must-watch for fans.
Rated 17 Jul 2024
I enjoyed Kingdom of the Planet of the Apes, but the film is not without its flaws. It begins as a skin for a modern Tomb Raider game, progressing to briefly flirting with being a revenge flick, before finishing as a set-up to further films. While the film is very well-made, it no longer feels that novel though the cinematic allusions to the 1968 original are nice and given the film a sense of momentum. It's well-paced, but the changes in tone between scenes leave it feel a little disjointed.
Rated 07 Jul 2024
Better than I was expecting it to be but the story got a bit too contrived for me to really love it
Rated 16 Jul 2024
Quite good. A refreshing view of the canon. Though the main human actress was quite annoying, the rest were good and Proximus and Draka were excellent.
Rated 09 Jul 2024
Not nearly as thought-provoking or subtle in its approach to the themes it deals with as Dawn and War, but it truly holds its own. The visuals are stellar, and I really liked some of the camera work. I didn't find the lead human character particularly interesting, given we don't get to know much about her, so whatever she does or says isn't too impactful, but that's on the script which is admittedly not the film's strongest suit.
Rated 15 May 2024
A decent movie. Not up to par with Reeves' movies; simple, yet effective. Watching out for the next one, again.
Rated 09 May 2024
Caesar is Jesus Christ. Amen.
Rated 09 May 2024
Doesn’t quite match up to Reeves’ entries but still exceeded my expectations by being surprisingly morally complex and having likeable characters and great world design (and monkey VFX of course although that goes without saying at this point). I did feel like it could have taken its themes even further were it not hamstrung by being a big-budget Hollywood whatsit but the ending was very promising. Hey, maybe this guy won’t fuck up the Zelda movie! it’ll be Derek Connolly who does that probably
Rated 09 May 2024
Excellent post-Caesar Apes movie dealing with his legacy and the fate/conflicts of living in a world now generations ahead of being dominated by Apes. A solid continuation with a new beginning. Special effects are top notch and performances are great. Didn’t feel the length too much and thought it was paced well. Really liked the new protagonist Noa and his differences with Caesar, along with the world building and post-apocalyptic nature.
Rated 11 May 2024
I was put off by just how dreadfully serious the tone in this is, with an overbearing score overpowering a cliche ridden, generic plot. If we're accepting that the apes are totally fluent in English (along with ASL and their own language) and have the physical ability to speak it, why can't we just go a step further and make it so they don't all...speak...like...this. It becomes annoying. Monkeys look good but the birds look oddly bad. Not aggressively terrible, but not really worth it.
Rated 11 May 2024
It's a commendable exercise in world building with splendid visuals. The story itself is ambitious, perhaps too much, leading to shaky characterizations and odd developments. Nonetheless, it left me curious about the future.
Rated 12 May 2024
I don't think it's quite as strong as the previous trilogy, but I do think there is plenty it does well. It's interesting to see where the world has evolved since Caesar, and I think they're setting up some cool ideas for the future, but I do have to admit the main character just doesn't pull me in as much as Caesar did. All the actors did a great job and the visuals are brilliant as always, but it felt like the character and his tribe were missing something to make them feel special.
Rated 12 May 2024
The characters did not feel as complex or interesting as the ones from the previous trilogy. Nevertheless, the post apocalyptic sci fi worldbuilding remains enticing, and leaves me wanting to see where this world goes from here in future sequels. Also a refreshing lack of lame ass Marvel style quips.
Rated 14 May 2024
This is an enjoyably film despite a few slow spots. The voice cast does a good job with their roles as the apes. It is not as good as the trilogy that came before this one but overall I would recommend this film.
Rated 25 May 2024
Does a great job of showcasing the future beyond caesar's time with a great cast, but story could've been more creative as plot was very expected and should've spent more time on Noah's development into a leader.
Rated 16 May 2024
I liked it, but it did feel like an episode or two of a long running series. The ape effects are really good. I would like to see where they are going with this.
Rated 17 May 2024
Incredibly detailed and robust world building that suggests a rich world outside of what's shown onscreen. Paired with a compelling villain and nuanced themes about interpretations of mythology leave a thoroughly entertaining film. Some of the dialogue is rough and their linguistic hang ups are inconsistently applied, to the detriment of the main character especially
Rated 18 May 2024
Did anyone else see remnants of 60's Planet of the Apes in this story? I liked the CGI in it. This is again a live action movie that was pretty close to an animated movie. The story was predictable, but what the heck. It was a Hollywood production. But everything looks good in the IMAX theater.
Rated 18 May 2024
Very good sequel, carried the story forward well. Looking forward to the next installment.
Rated 19 May 2024
The most intelligent popcorn movie franchise we have right now. As much as I mourn the loss of Serkis/Caesar, this is a savvy reboot that recontextualizes his sacrifice and makes typical POTA themes—power, propaganda, personhood—feel fresh again.
Rated 20 May 2024
Not bad, but slow tempo ruins it.
Rated 24 May 2024
Looks good but yo shit's slow, bro. It wasn't a bad cinematographic experience (looked good), yet I couldn't get into it properly due to the narrative unfolding at a seemingly random pace, sometimes excruciatingly slow and sometimes at rate of ten mcguffins and deus exes a minute. Pacing lessons are mandatory before the sequel.