Kings and Queen
Kings-and-Queen

Kings and Queen

2004
Comedy, Drama
Parallel storylines tell the current state of affairs for two ex-lovers: Nora's a single mother who comes to care for her terminally ill father; holed in up in mental ward, Ismael, a brilliant musician, plots his escape. (imdb)
We weren't able to find any streaming offers for Kings and Queen

Combines the technical and formal postmodern adventurism of Tarantino with the sharply drawn, emotionally cruel characterization of Baumbach -- it's as astonishing as it is devastating.
A very strong first act with some great performances and natural and intriguing relationships between the characters. Ismael is the most endearing, truthful to a fault and occasionally vulgar but never malicious. The film has a few melodramatic and unbelievable scenes in the later half and it begins to lose focus.
This crazy quilt of a movie has something going on in every scene --an idea, a surprise, an experiment. But there's a method to the madness. Desplechin is exploring the link between comedy and tragedy, how the latter always lurks underneath the former, and vice versa. The film is both outrageous and subtle, abrasive and tender. It hangs together through the theme of adoption, which is a form of assuming responsibility for that which is not innately yours, a shift in perspective.
A difficult film to rate. I feel that Desplechin aspires to make a great film, and that he has the potential to do so. But, judging from the two of his films I have seen, I don't think he has quite delivered thus far. In spite of everything, a kind of coldness seems to remain about the characters, that is to say, they seem to have been coldly drawn.
Spastic, cold, a lot of secondary plots, a large family tree, long, tedious, unfunny despite its repeated attempts to be funny...I think I have a natural aversion to these kind of overly ambitious ensemble pieces. Waiting for this movie to end was like waiting in a doctor's office. Perhaps this is a personal problem of mine? I dunno. I suppose the problem with this movie starts with Nora and Ismael, neither of whom are characters I gravitated to at all.

Submitted byvisualiceVisualice on 26 Mar 2006