Plex Plex Channel

1947
Crime
Small-time crook Nick Bianco gets caught in a jewel heist and despite urgings from well-meaning district attorney D'Angelo, refuses to rat on his partners and goes to jail, assured that his wife and children will be taken care of (imdb)

1947
Crime

Rated 09 Apr 2010
I missed the first part of this film and definitely will catch the whole thing next time it's on. Great cinematography, great acting, and a suspenseful script.
Rated 23 Nov 2007
I love the opening heist sequence. It gets the movie off to a really tense start, though it admittedly slows down for a bit after. Competently directed (and with some great chiaroscuro, especially near the end) and expertly acted, I thought it was a good noir.
Rated 30 Jan 2009
A flawed, but very enjoyable noir. Dick Widmark as the psychotic Tommy Udo is the high point, without question. The scene in which he pushes the wheelchair-bound "stoolie" down a flight of stairs is damn-near iconic. The opening heist sequence is also notable. Who would have thought that a silent elevator ride could create so much tension? My only complaint is that the second act drags terribly. Still worth seeing for Widmark's insanity. "You squirt!"
Rated 11 Feb 2010
Richard Widmark is extraordinary, not so much the rest.
Rated 24 Nov 2006
A tough and tense noir thriller. Widmark is great as the evil goon Tommy Udo.
Rated 13 Jul 2011
Very engaging noir, although a little fractured in its pacing. Mature does a good job with a really well written role, but it's Widmark who shines brightest.
Rated 03 Mar 2013
Pretty good. I love Richard Widmark's performance, he's one of the best noir actors and this film finds him playing a wild villain. I like that the film is about a criminal who acts in the interest of his family, but something often feels missing here and the ending doesn't have as much of a punch as it should.
Rated 09 Jun 2015
Essential noir viewing. Not without flaws, but Widmark knocks it out of the park
Rated 10 Aug 2018
A well acted and really straight forward film noir. The film moves at a good pace and it kept me engaged but it just felt like it didn't go far enough with any of the themes and scenes that it showed. Richard Widmark was the standout here and he was creepy as hell as man what a laugh.
Rated 15 Jan 2020
Finally got to this wild film noir. What an iconic performance by Widmark and one of the best Victor Mature roles I've seen.
Rated 10 May 2011
Chiefly memorable for Widmark's Tommy Udo: the death-mask face, the psycho grin, the deranged laugh. The film itself, unfortunately, isn't nearly deranged enough, and kind of drags, especially toward the end.
Rated 25 May 2014
I want to ride the Widmark express!!! Caution for MATURE audiences only
Rated 02 Jun 2013
I liked the opening to the film, but it just seems to go downhill from there. It never feels really that special. I liked Widmark, but nothing else really stands out.
Rated 01 May 2018
Classic, obligatory noir. This is the one with the famous wheelchair sequence, and it doesn't disappoint. Richard Widmark is a peculiar, unsettling, and riveting presence in his first film, and Victor Mature is excellent. Well-written and well-paced, although it lags a tad in, curiously, the last third.
Rated 25 Jul 2020
The opening and the climax rocked, as did performances by Mature, Widmark, and Gray. The midsection got bogged down a bit and had to force its way to a worthy conclusion. Rarely as stylish as I had hoped. And the voice-over at the end reminded me of True Romance, unfortunately. Pretty good though.
Rated 17 Apr 2019
Very decent noir with some added realism trough its location shooting and the socioeconomic background leading to its protagonist life-of-crime. Though one could argue the later is only there to make the criminal protagonist acceptable for a Hays code audience.
Rated 13 Nov 2013
Relatively weak except for Richard Widmark's brilliant performance.
Rated 26 Feb 2012
Widmark makes this a better-than-average film.
Rated 17 Aug 2020
The film moved predictably along till Richard Widmark showed up with his lunatic performance.
Rated 29 Jun 2014
Damn good noir. Victor Mature has kind of a bad reputation but I like what I've seen so far and he's great in this, giving Nick Bianco a lot of genuine pathos as he gets more desperate. And holy shit, Richard Widmark is insane and brilliant as the psychopathic goon squaring off against him. Just an all-around rock-solid piece of work.
Rated 09 Nov 2022
While it takes its sweet time detailing the evolution of a police informant, the characterizations here (the squealer, the suspect, and the DA) are all very strong. I wonder if Udo would have gotten more screen time if the Hays Code hadn't been in effect. Some very good scenes here (the wheelchair scene is the most memorable), even if the romance part of the story falls a little flat.
Rated 24 Jan 2007
One of the purest examples of the noir genre. Desperation, a hero trapped, chiaroscuro lighting, vicious thugs, ominous music, tense situations and bleak cynicism. Victor Mature and Richard Widmark are both excellent here. Although Widmark's repetition of "squirt" does get a little irritating, and this iconic performance hounded him for the next several years, but fortunately he was able to break away from it. Really just a good movie all-around.
Rated 13 Mar 2007
Movie which in that tine didn't have weight of censor hade made a great thing to movie history... Also big minus in the movie is act and role woman which is little bit pathetic...
Rated 19 Feb 2012
Soapy, wishy-washy. That Widmark is bad is a real, big indicator. Plays the Riddler before the tv series. Mature, meh.
Rated 27 Dec 2014
Em honra do centen√°rio de Richard Widmark.
Rated 17 Mar 2011
A well done Noir with a twist.Instead of having a femme-fatale plot it instead focus's on Nick Bianco (played wonderfully by Victor Mature) and his problems.In doing this it makes this film a nice character study.The weakness in this film is Nick's relationship with Nettie (played by Coleen Gray).It felt a little shallow and underdeveloped.
Rated 11 Nov 2010
"A jumbled piece of cinematic crime fiction that's visually elegant but regularly confused about its own point of view." - Nick Schager
Rated 12 Mar 2015
Very good.
Rated 06 Feb 2015
The story is a little thin and drags in the middle, but Hathaway really nails the noir atmosphere here. Mature and Donlevy are good but the film's most memorable for Widmark's brilliant film debut as giggly psychopath Tommy Udo.
Rated 04 Apr 2021
Victor Mature might not have been high on his own acting abilities, but he's selling himself short. To me he looks and reminds of Sylvester Stallone. Technically not an classic style actor, but he's so effective in his roles and a mug that oozes charisma. And that's how it is with Mature in crime stories like this. The tension builds and Mature remains strong even if he know the stool pigeon deal he does with the D.A. is the Kiss of Death (1947). Great suspense movie.
Rated 19 May 2013
Psycho Killer, qu'est-ce que c'est. fa fa fa fa fa fa fa fa fa far better, run run run run run run run away!