2009
Sci-fi
In 1959, a time capsule is buried at an elementary school. One pupil's contribution is a strange letter containing a long sequence of numbers. Fifty years later the capsule is opened, and the contents distributed. The father of the boy who receives the strange letter is a university professor, who begins to discern a bizarre significance to the numeric string, leading him deeper and deeper into questions about the nature of the universe and the future of terrestrial life.

2009
Sci-fi

Rated 15 Mar 2010
I'm pretty sure there is a brilliant movie hiding in a bad one here. It brazenly illustrates the religiosity we all knew hid in films like Close Encounters and 2001, as well as Apocalypse-genre films. That it pisses off most everyone with its theological bait-and-switch is fucking fascinating.
Rated 23 Mar 2009
Garbage movie. Attempts to ruminate on heady science fiction ideas but instead falls spectacularly on its face unlike anything I've seen in years. The first two-thirds are a mediocre disaster movie but the third act is one of the most grotesquely awful climaxes / endings in the long annals of the medium.
Rated 13 May 2009
Could've been seminal sci-fi. Disappointingly, interesting themes remain underdeveloped but the excellent basic premise (think Final Destination on a large scale) keeps you hooked throughout. Effective disaster sequences, competently made, recall the style of mayhem in Cloverfield/Children of Men. Proyas paces his film well and knows how to create suspense. Not entirely successful, this is definitely more ambitious and brave than your average blockbuster. If only it wasn't so piss-poorly acted!
Rated 16 May 2009
Dark, dreary, sci-fi, quasi-religious, peri-apocalyptic pabulum is so bad, you will wish for the world to end rather than endure another painful minute. Various aspects make this flick laughable, including Cage, as usual, taking himself way too seriously and the movie opening with a flaming moose running in slow motion (seriously).
Rated 03 Sep 2009
No part of this movie has anything to do with any other part. Time capsules, aliens, sun flares, psychic predictions, disasters... what the heck is going on? Why not throw in some pirates and ninjas?
Rated 04 Apr 2009
Knowing is to me the best Cage has done in a while, but that's not saying a whole lot substantially. The disaster scenes themselves are worth the price of admission alone, with the exception of the first. The premise is also quite intriguing and provocative and it often makes several fascinating enquirys about the existence of mankind. What really damages and strains Knowing from the start to finish, is the occasionally campy moments and disconnecting scenes watched by the viewers. Still decent.
Rated 03 Apr 2009
Nauseating story (written by a bunch of psychos) plus atrocious acting plus aliens/gay austrian underwear models/Dr. Manhattan = crapfest. Bring an Ipod, trust me...
Rated 21 Jun 2009
You gotta be kidding me. That's the worst thing i've watched for years. I really need to know how to build a time machine or something that could erase the last hour and a half.
Rated 11 Jul 2009
This is by far the worst movie I have ever seen. I went through my list and I have confirmed so. Every acting performance was horrendous. The plot was amateur and juvenile. The tangents were unbearable and comical really, mixing the apocalypse with aliens and determinism. The ''destruction'' was unrealistic. People being burned alive and run over is not epic, just unnecessary. I was never impressed or interested throughout the film. I laughed more than I gasped. This movie is a total waste.
Rated 30 Mar 2009
For some unknown reason I like Cage's one trick pony style of acting, but it doesn't fit in this movie at all and distracts you from the plot constantly. The disaster scenes are visually fun for the eyes with the exception of the first major one that has its victims running around on fire from a disaster no one would survive. The ending comes close to being ballsy but only makes it halfway. Also be ready for main characters do things no other sane person would do in similar situations.
Rated 03 Feb 2023
Your arguments are all very persuasive, but there's a POV shot from inside the subway car as it slides along mauling people. I would let that shot inside of me.
Rated 13 Apr 2009
Undeniably stupid with a stupid ending to a stupid storyline. That being said, there are some nice scenes in here, including a plane crash scene featured in the trailer that defies description it's so implausible and awesome. Nicholas Cage cannot act. I feel sorry for him, he's been typecast and he doesn't even know it.
Rated 30 Jun 2009
Some interesting ideas brought down by shoddy acting, eye-rolling coincidences and a final revelation that was only worth a shrug. The disasters were done very effectively and were pretty painful to watch. Good that there was no cop-out ending at least.
Rated 27 Mar 2009
This may come as a shock, but Knowing is an excellent film. The story is smart and runs its course with a great pace. It reveals just what it needs to at all the right times once it gets going. The marketing team responsible for the trailer has some explaining to do because they sell this to be a cheesy Cage actioner when it's really one of the most interesting sci-fi films I've seen in a very long time. Maybe I'm alone on this but I hope I'm not; Knowing is sure to be a recent favorite.
Rated 06 Apr 2009
a whole lot of plot holes, but most of the truly annoying ones dont come until the last half hour, up till then it's definately satisfying. even though the end spirals out of any relm of believeability, it's still a decent watch, although you maybe cringing at cheesiness.
Rated 08 Apr 2009
The directing is very good and the special effects were impressive but story-wise it falls apart. It doesn't make sense even in its own reality .
Rated 12 Apr 2009
Actually builds up some decent tension, until it contradicts itself in the final third.
Rated 17 Feb 2011
The Proyas wiring in my brain is wrong. For all the people who loved Dark City and hated this, I'm the opposite. Schlock disaster movie on a vast scale with the apropos effects budget and Nicholas Cage running around being antagonized by supersexual Scandinavians? The last shot is a huge slap in the face to Dawkins fans, but as long as you don't take it seriously Knowing is a fun ride.
Rated 22 Jun 2009
The radiation will reach 1 mile under the earths surface? Come on, these hollywood hacks should at least take a physics class before they start throwing numbers around. Terrible acting, terrible premise, absolutely boring and pointless.
Rated 25 Jun 2009
*SPOILER * Blonde playboys are both aliens and angels to make the ending more fucked up. Aliens are god&crew or vice versa...I wanna puke.
Rated 02 Jul 2009
I like this more than I probably should -- Cage's bizarre acting is occasionally off-putting, and there are some tonally inconsistent scenes that pull you out of the experience. Still, I found it to be a fully engaging and often riveting film with a pair of showstopping effects sequences. Shyamalan has tried making films like this and failed repeatedly, but Proyas' effort works. It has a brain even when it's being stupid, and explored several thoughts I've had before. Concept: 76. Execution: 56.
Rated 07 Aug 2011
Nicholas Cage does his very best to ruin this throughout and it's a little over-serious and lets face it, bollocky. But! The disaster scenes were pretty amazing and it was always entertaining and interesting. Also, at times this felt like an emotional family drama masquerading as a disaster film without ever really giving Cage or his on screen father issues any real attention. Again, entertaining and interesting but also absurd and needlessly over boiled.
Rated 06 Jul 2009
Creationist write this movie? Well, like there theories...so stupid!
Rated 28 Dec 2009
You see a citizen run away from wreckage on fire, screaming - if you are John Koestler (Cage) you yell out "Hey!" as he passes and then "HEY!" again with a tone of genuine annoyance as you realise he's ignoring you. Cage's awfulness is all-conquering here and he makes you want to smack him on his giant forehead with a rolled up copy of this dull script.
Rated 08 Jul 2009
Look up charisma in the dictionary. There's a picture of Nicolas Cage.
Rated 09 Jul 2009
Nicolas Cage and his doll hair perform a gross parody of what we humans call acting in this dumb, dumb, dumb flick.
Rated 03 Aug 2009
Cliche and sometimes cheesy, and Cage's acting rarely works, but revolves around some interesting ideas. I don't find the ending as bad as most people say; it's open ended enough to not be a direct endorsement of creationism, but rather seems to imply that these beings influenced us in our past, and it helps that the CG budget was saved for those scenes. Held back by its inconsistency, but still thought provoking.
Rated 31 Mar 2010
A film that's unfairly panned because of some of the Nicolas Cage backlash. It's readily apparent that Alex Proyas draws a lot of inspiration from 50's sci-fi. There's a pulp feel to the story that's unmistakable from something you'd read out of 50's era EC comics. This isn't great cinema and rehashes cliches at times but it is gripping & mindlessly entertaining. Suffice to say the less you know going in the better it is.
Rated 29 Mar 2009
"Knowing" has so much to praise and roll your eyes at in equal measure. Alex Proyas, making a film that feels exactly like one from the Shyamalan canon, delivers an intriguing premise and poses interesting questions about existence - what he delivers ultimately is a ballsy movie for sure. Sometimes engaging and others not fully connecting to the audience, it has its campy moments too, and visually it's a mixed bag with some effects looking very dated. Overall, "Knowing" is very hot and cold.
Rated 31 Mar 2009
"If not for some good fx and hearty unintentional laughs, 260309 - this release date - would have featured on the disaster roll."
Rated 20 Nov 2012
A film of ridiculous ambition and potential that just can't live up to itself. There's some very interesting aspects, then there's some very careless aspects. I don't know how to feel about it.
Rated 24 Apr 2009
Pros include: Cage doesn't phone it in the entire time, the direction is perfectly fine and the disaster sequences are more well done than I've seen in other films (even if the CGI is bad). Problems include: The religious undertones are ludicrously blatant, Cage phones it in most of the time and the plot and characters are retarded.
Rated 13 Mar 2010
What a shame. I like Alex Proyas, but this was a highly flawed affair with a silly premise which took itself way too seriously until the almost hilarious conclusion.
Rated 01 Jun 2009
The ending is problematic, but the rest of the movie is thrilling, engrossing, and horrifyingly direct. A truly creative and original movie, the latest of Nicholas Cage's streak of underrated work.
Rated 21 Jun 2009
At the hands of another director, this film would be total crap. Proyas makes it somewhat enjoyable at least... But even he can't help where it goes in the end.
Rated 25 Jun 2009
This film is confusing and problematic, since it delivers some great ideas and mix it with Hollywood-style action/sci-fi flick. Confusing, but I'd say you should watch it, because the ideas it presents are worth it. Alex Proyas is good director, too bad he's going into blockbuster section.
Rated 27 Jun 2009
Proyas should take some psychiatrist seddions to get rid of his obvious fascination with burning living creatures. Also features the only underground train that moves faster outside its tracks than on them and many other wonders!
Rated 03 Jul 2009
Starts out as a decent sci-fi with an interesting premise, devolves into religious alien nonsense. Nick Cage plays another unhinged, over-the-top scientist character. A few scenes are genuinely cool, but they aren't enough to keep it interesting.
Rated 04 Jul 2009
Majority of the disasters are marv and worth to see the flick. But bewared, the actors (all) and the story itself are terrible bull. The director is completely lost with them. First time I saw in Hollywood production where people really die (!) in piles in accidents. Masses of people. In plane and train crashes. I'm impressed.
Rated 09 Jul 2009
Nicholas Cage is dead to me. This is the worst load of overused sappy/sci-fi recycled 10-times-over bullshit plot and acting I have seen in QUITE some time. Nic Cage, you suck.
Rated 20 Oct 2013
New age religious piece of Cage-shit.
Rated 10 Jul 2009
Extremely ludicrous storyline. I really didn't care. After about 40 minutes, I started fast forwarding. I was glad I fast forwarded instead of turning it off, because the ending is incredibly insane. Some good visuals; otherwise really bad.
Rated 14 Nov 2011
1725462846382926493902763904048505840383047393739473937494 7697608795782561176378366485993028483003847639276754934023 8758393746382947759509302845758590303784575839920020484830 9049578577463337272834774637627118176474892392012948498303 0029289301938929019281010292019171513132561342566364376894 5903029928364623893747382912928282761291010219383929018393 9027383918162541331536347238299390290183739290091038362561 or in other words, rabbits are an invasive species.
Rated 13 Jul 2009
Horrible acting. Horrible plot. Horrible movie. The bible?
Rated 21 May 2023
Rated 29 Apr 2010
Terrifying, amazingly stupid too
Rated 18 Jul 2009
At first I tought this could be a good movie. After watching the trailer I likeds the concept , but when I was wathing the movie it sucked. The disaster-scenes were pretty decent , but the whole plot was terrible. The only thing you will see is Cage trying to solve a code an a bad ending. The plot is pretty clear , but I wanted more explanations about the who and the why. If it had that info , it would get a better score.
Rated 27 Apr 2016
I never thought a film that starts with a creepy girl dressed in all black would end with aliens taking a select group of children and restarting the human race on another planet. Bizarre and not done well. The scene where the Earth's surface becomes scorched to hell is pretty spectacular though.
Rated 15 Feb 2012
If the first 105 minutes weren't exceedingly great, this might be the worst movie ever made for its ending. Nicolas Cage continues to be one of the best things happening in movies.
Rated 05 Apr 2010
Cage is a good actor, and watching Herzog's recent Bad Lieutenant proves it, but Knowing, in a way, proves it even more. How he manages to act here with deadpan seriousness is beyond me. If I had to act in this oafish but pretentious sci-fi/disaster movie, I would burst out laughing at so many different points just from considering the absurdity of the script.
Rated 27 Jul 2009
Actually enjoyed it. Stupid ending ruins things a bit. Had an interesting disaster premise then just decided faith/aliens will bring everything full circle.
Rated 04 Aug 2009
I was so looking forward to this movie-- what happened? Great visuals sure, but part way through it started going in some cheesy unfortunate direction I sincerely hoped it would dig it's way out from . . . but no. Two hours of my life I cannot get back.
Rated 14 Oct 2010
Suprisingly good, especially the first part.
Rated 15 Aug 2009
Features a moose on fire. Extremely, mind-crushingly heavy-handed delivering of its themes, but, features a moose on fire. Nicolas Cage basically plays Nicolas Cage, but you could do worse than watch this movie. A moose on fire, guys, c'mon.
Rated 06 Dec 2009
ok so it wasn't perfect it has its flaws and holes, but i was genuinely interested and entertained throughout.
Rated 25 Aug 2009
Very derivative of a Spielberg movie I won't name in order not to spoil it for audiences. Use of Beethoven's 7th very derivative of IRREVERSIBLE. Narrative is rather nonsensical but manages to hold the interest of the viewer. Does not pull its punches when it comes to depicting disaster onscreen. Quasi-religious, but only in the FIVE MILLION YEARS TO EARTH mode (although a little more ambiguously than that, perhaps). Overuses shaky camerawork.
Rated 15 Feb 2010
I have a Mathematical equation for you: ((Cage-$))/(informed careerchoices)) * (actual science < impressive visuals) - 1(plot) + 2(bunnies) = 25
Rated 23 Nov 2009
Another number flick in the tradition of PI and The Number 23. Nic is hell-bent on always finding new frontiers, when it comes to career lows. However, this Proyas-helmer, though seriously dumb, does have it's visually interesting moments, and at the end of the day, I'm just _that_ simple: Everything is well that ends in destruction.
Rated 12 Dec 2011
Derivative sci-fi tripe loaded with featureless characters and Nicolas Cage phoning in the same tired old lunatic act. The script's combination of science, paranormal phenomena, and alien life feels incongruous and unpolished, while the CGI disaster sequences look big and spectacular but are largely pointless. The real question is, if you knew the film was going to be this bad, would you still watch it?
Rated 18 Aug 2010
PIECE OF CRAP!
Rated 24 May 2022
Nicolas Cage is fun, and I liked how they followed through with the ending, but other than that it's not much to write home about. Will not hurt to watch, but you won't gain anything from it.
Rated 06 Apr 2015
The plot covers some kind of sci-fi hybrid bible rebooting? At least in Noah we got a reason why this occurs - we're all cunts. Knowing, won't go as far as that, in fact, it won't let you know at all. Few points for implying a hebrew-based god caused 9/11 though.
Rated 16 Jul 2013
What's the obsession with casting Nicholas Cage as an intelligent action hero? It doesn't work.
Rated 24 Jan 2010
Worth it just for a wild finale and the horrific plane crash, but Cage has pitched his tent and took a nap.
Rated 13 Apr 2009
Not as good as I expected it to be, but sure not bad either. Actually a pretty good movie. Mysterious, action, some thinking, a good story( which could have been brought better, true) good acting(but also some pretty bad moments), ... Very unpredictable, that's for sure. And not really moments of which you think they should hurry up. A film worth seeing for sure.
Rated 09 Nov 2019
A ridiculous movie that takes itself way too seriously for most of its running time.
Rated 30 Jun 2010
I can't say I didn't have derisive fun. Nothing of pictorial interest but Cage is the kind of strangeness that I have a weakness for. The caves won't save you!
Rated 08 Aug 2010
Almost good.
Rated 16 May 2009
The bunnies at the end were a nice touch... haha
Rated 12 Jan 2013
A suprisingly good sci-fi film. It starts a little boring but suspence is increasing as the story develops. The geek elements are also well put. This film is better than mediocre.
Rated 22 Jun 2010
I thought the Chariots of the Gods idea was wrung dry long ago. This is quite lame.
Rated 22 Jun 2009
Good. A teacher comes in possession of a letter predicting frightening disasters worldwide. This is the kind of film M. Night Shyamalan would have aspired to if he wasn't such a one hit wonder. The movie falters big time in the end and calls for some major suspension of disbelief throughout. But its a fun ride most of the way. Recommended weekend rental.
Rated 11 Feb 2011
Although the beginning was so-so and the build was slow it had a good ending and was very well delivered for the story.
Rated 10 Sep 2011
A vastly underrated film. While at times it reaches beyond capabilities (both story and effects wise) I thought it was an intriguing and unique spin on certain sci-fi/suspense plot elements that many other movies have failed spectacularly trying to pull off (I was vague because I don't want to spoil anything). I probably would have rated this lower, but the ending was great and elevated it a fair amount of points for me.
Rated 02 Jul 2009
some great visuals - especially disaster scenes, even though there is bad cgi. but in terms of story - nothing new, except combining all too old and familiar themes in an absurd way, (aliens, prophecies, solar troubles etc.) tries hard but doesn't make any sense throughout, the boring christian moral ending i very sreminiscent of another disastrous ending, that of I am Legend's. beh. makes you certain that dark city was an exception and Proyas is another lame-o.
Rated 15 Jul 2013
Nic Cage is enjoyable being, well, Nic Cage in a Movie, as he always is, but the rest is simply an ambitious disaster-sci-fi plot executed quite poorly.
Rated 25 Aug 2012
It is, honestly, not that bad until the absolute clusterfuck of an awful ending.
Rated 13 Jul 2009
This movie had potential until near the end.. WTF happened?? Loved the airplane scene and the sunflare scene.. thaught they were done well.. but stupid stupid ending
Rated 05 Jul 2012
Another Nicolas Cage movie? What a shit title, too.
Rated 03 Nov 2010
Nicholas Cage fo lock yourself in some cage :D. Film is OK, but nothing special.
Rated 20 Jul 2009
I really like the concept of this alternate reality. In spite of the characters being barely more than cliches, there were some creepy moments, and the disasters were adequately horrifying spectacles.
Rated 20 Jul 2009
Nowhere near as bad as it seemingly should have been based on the premise and talent. Not really good either, but it provides a few thrilling scenes and a few WTF moments that I'll give it a mild recommendation.
Rated 16 Oct 2017
A mish mash of a bunch of half baked ideas, but it's generally entertaining and keeps your attention. Themes, tropes and style in parts reminded me of the X-Files. Could have been really good if they committed to just one or two themes and flushed them out.
Rated 30 Oct 2010
Kind of suspenseful in the first half, fails to live up to its promise in the second half.
Rated 06 Dec 2009
What a silly, silly movie. Was that the Garden of Eden in the end?!! Laughable creationistic mumbo jumbo
Rated 04 Aug 2009
Nicholas cage puts in an OK performance. Some events were extremely unrealistic....although gave the director a chance to show off the CGI effects. The ending had pseudo-religious overtones, which redeemed the movie by and large...
Rated 15 Feb 2013
15/2/2013
Rated 17 Aug 2009
Cliché... from beginning to the end.
Rated 20 Aug 2009
I've softened up on Nicolas Cage somewhat over the years so this trainwreck turned out to be somewhat enjoyable for me.
Rated 18 Jul 2024
watchable
Rated 19 Dec 2011
this movie is entertaining. why da hates?
Rated 04 Sep 2011
I have never hated a film so much as this one. Shame, because the ending is great.
Rated 29 Aug 2009
The plot could probably do with some more explicit "who" and "why", but half the fun is speculation. Were they "aliens"? Were they "angels"? Did they put us here in the first place? You can guess, but it's not known (pun intended), which again is half the fun. It leaves a lot of questions, but this is one of those cases where it's better to have questions than all the answers. It comes down due to a few sub-par scenes in the final act. Definitely worth seeing despite a few moments of disconnect.
Rated 30 Aug 2009
Somewhat ruptured towards the end.
Rated 17 Dec 2011
This movie starts off well but the last half of the film does not live up to the potential of the first half. Some of the characters do unbelievable things and the ending is weak.
Rated 22 Feb 2015
Sci-fi with religious overtones... oh, gioia.
Rated 28 Mar 2010
It was pretty good but the ending ruined the entire thing for me. Not a fan of the acting in this either..
Rated 10 Feb 2010
not so good. I'm never a fan of anything with Nicholas Cage.
Rated 21 Sep 2009
Unfortunately does the ending not at all live up to the rest of the film, but the whole set-up and the progress of slowly figuring out the meaning of the numbers is very suspenseful. If you - like me - have a special affection for both numbers, riddles and the supernatural, then Knowing is worth a shot.
Rated 05 Oct 2009
Na pierwszy rzut oka widac, ze nie byl to tani film. Tyle z jego zalet. Naiwny scenariusz spowodaowal, ze byly to pieniadze wyrzucone w bloto i nie pomaga tu nawet caly czas wysilajacy sie Cage, ktorego notabene nie lubie. Przecietny film, ale wylacznie za sprawa wizualna, gdyby nie to, ocena bylaby jeszcze nizsza.