Kong: Skull Island
Kong-Skull-Island

Kong: Skull Island

2017
Sci-fi, Suspense/Thriller
A team of scientists explore an uncharted island in the Pacific, venturing into the domain of the mighty Kong, and must fight to escape a primal Eden.
Franchises: King Kong, MonsterVerse
Amazon VideoApple TVfuboTVGoogle Play MoviesVuduMicrosoft Store

Viet Kong ha ha ha
For a movie about giant monsters that's part of a cinemaghhh (sorry, almost threw up in my mouth) cinematic universe, this was pretty allright! Characters can die suddenly and amusingly, everything looks and sounds OK and it moves along nicely. Am I extra positive since so many other recent blockbusters left me feeling dead inside, more than usual? Maybe. Probably. But I also saw a giant ape beat the shit out of a giant lizard monster and for a brief moment, life was good.
I found some of the dialogue to be kind of weak or cheesy at times, and the first act feels kind of rushed, but overall, I thought this was extremely entertaining. Roberts is a director I'll be looking out for. The visual effects were awesome and there were a lot of great angles and shots that made this feel like an 70s monster-flick, and that's exactly what I wanted. The pawns, or characters, were actually well-acted too. A really good time. I'd say it's worth the trip.
Haha, this is just straight-up Apocalypse Now with giant monsters! I was extremely agnostic towards the 2014 Godzilla (and this film walking in, for the record) and it did a fine job winning me over. Incredibly solid cast playing mostly bland characters, though John C. Reilly does get to have some fun. The CGI monsters occasionally feel weightless, but overall this film did a better job than anything else in years at taking me on a real ADVENTURE that evoked the feel of classic Indiana Jones.
Overall a fun watch and it looks great with plenty of stunning visuals on show. Its a monster movie mashed up with a Vietnam war film. Most of the cast were pretty good although somewhat two dimensional. The tone was uneven with jumps from serious drama to comedy that felt a bit jarring, there's some clunky dialogue and it's a bit too long. I liked its running theme that was critical of war and how it affects both civilians and soldiers. At its best it seemed like a modern day predator film.

Submitted byecrE.C.R. on 22 Dec 2016