2004
Comedy, Crime
Set amid the chaos of pre-revolutionary China, small time thief, Sing (Chow), aspires to be one of the sophisticated and ruthless Axe Gang whose underworld activities overshadow the city. (Sony)
Directed by:
Languages:

2004
Comedy, Crime

Rated 12 Jan 2021
The premise of "what if a person that looks like they can't fight, can fight" is shoehorned into the "there's always a bigger fish" trope from Phantom Menace. I'm going to pick on user bumbletbw because they've been offsite for 13 years: You were hoping for more dance numbers? That's why you didn't like this more, not enough dance numbers? Okay.
An enjoyable action flick that doesn't take itself too seriously, but still does it's own thing well. The action is absurdist but it never becomes stupid or boring, and the story is just interesting enough to carry everything through to the end.
Rated 04 Aug 2012
This movie uses totally over the top Kung Fu fighting comedy to thoroughly entertain. I laughed out loud many times, as there are some priceless comedic moments. This is truly a unique story, told in an unexpected way. I enjoyed it from start to finish, even though it is quite silly, but that's part of the fun of this movie. A "must-see" movie for fans of comedy Kung Fu.
Rated 28 Dec 2015
I kept forgetting to rank this, but I'm not sure why. The film is still sticking with me. Kung Fu Hustle stands alone as a hilarious martial arts movie and an over-the-top yet very well done comedy. I couldn't stop laughing at it. Haha I'm not entirely sure who all it's for, but I found it to be one of the funniest movies I've probably ever watched. Worth a viewing and probably more!
Rated 11 Feb 2020
I'm glad to see the international success that Chow received in the new millennium, but "Kung Fu Hustle" isn't much of a stand out in his repitoire. Yet even at average, a Chow movie is crammed full of wacky, crazy entertainment.
Kung Fu Hustle is a super fun movie that blends east with west to great effect. Writer/Director/Star, Stephen Chow, has a knack for spoofing the way eastern films have changed to please a westernized crowd, and he's completely tasteful about it. The film is truly enjoyable. Awesome!
Rated 07 Apr 2009
Don't think many can bear with this film to the end but those who likes the genre, should definitely see it. This is one of those films which should be T9-10 for some and T1-2 for else. If you like this one you could also try Shaolin Soccer.
Rated 14 Jul 2010
This movie offers some "Hell-Yeah" action scenes, especially the final fight. It is a great parody to other eastern movies and makes a lot of fun. And I lost my heart to the numb ice-salesgirl; damn she's so pretty! Great movie!!
Rated 22 Sep 2020
Cheerfully, engagingly silly martial arts comedy never quite reaches the exhilarating heights (comic or otherwise) of its forbearer Jackie Chan, but the good spirits of all involved, and Chow's tendency to throw in any out-of-left-field film reference that takes his fancy, makes this a modest success, with the slim clothesline of the plot never distracting from some stunningly executed, cartoonish action sequences.
Rated 16 Jan 2007
The concept is intriguing: a slapstick gangster wuxia film. The execution, unfortunately, is a letdown. Chow tries way too hard, layering on heaps of not very good CG effects, overly cartoonish action, broad humor, and pop culture references. Sometimes it's quite entertaining, but a lot of the time it's just stupid. This is the kind of thing that critics would never tolerate from an American film, but when it's from another country they hail it as comedy genius.
Rated 26 Feb 2007
Fights are crap, jokes barely rise above the level of adolescent toilet humour, watch Shaolin Soccer instead.
Hilarious and completely insane.
Live action Looney Tunes with hilarious comedy kung fu action.
A funny, cartoony, kung-fu epic. Completely enjoyable.
Insane visuals and odd yet perfect humor run amok in Kung Fu Hustle.
An awesome off the wall action/comedy. I wasn't bothered at all by the overdubbing, which can be a down point, because the story and acting fit together so very well together and the nature of the comedy made the dubbing seem like it was all part of the master plan. Worth a watch.
Incredibly silly film burgeons on the edge of having a point, but it seems to revel in continuously ignoring the point. Which makes this zany enough to be some fun.
Kickass action movie. Hilarious supporting cast and story, and good ending. It all works.
It thrums with a massive amount of energy, like a live-action cartoon.
Rated 23 Nov 2007
Just plain dumb.
Rated 04 Mar 2008
Oh wow. Part Looney Tunes. Part Kung Fu.
Rated 15 Dec 2008
Oh Stephen Chow. Burn me as a heretic but I enjoyed this more than Shaolin Soccer.
Rated 09 Feb 2009
What can I say about Kung-Fu Hustle, how can I explain my joy while watching this film? It's the perfect mix of silly antics and cool ass fighting. Feels like Looney Tunes mixed with Naruto...only live action.
Rated 25 Sep 2010
Entertaining comedy with great action and hilarious special effects.
Rated 22 Oct 2011
Simply a blast. The CGI is terrible and the humor so silly, but somehow it all just works wonderfully. And when you think it can't get any more over the top, it does. Delightful nonsense.
Rated 10 Jul 2015
Less overtly weird most of the time than Shaolin Soccer. As much as I usually like absurdity, seeing cartoon physics done so literally is a little off-putting. That being said, most of the jokes here are pretty funny, so it's overall entertaining.
Rated 16 Jan 2017
Very original and feels like it adds something new to the niche comedy martial arts genre. Unfortunately I found the comedy more amusing than hilarious. Definitely worth seeing though.
Rated 27 Sep 2020
The CGI has aged really poorly (or maybe that just adds to the film's camp charm?), but this film is a masterpiece in physical comedy and one of the best genre parodies I've ever seen. The outrageously over-the-top physics-defying martial arts are always so much fun to watch, and even when you think you've seen everything the film keeps finding ways to escalate the level of sheer gonzo-ness on screen.
Rated 11 Dec 2006
amusing
Rated 11 Dec 2006
This movie would be added to the silly file except for the fact the martial arts in this film was extrodinary. Loved this film.
Think: Bruce Lee + Jackie Chan + Looney Tunes
Rated 15 Dec 2006
funny, smart, suprisingly good story line
Rated 29 Dec 2006
A Kung Fu musical... 'nuff said!
Rated 05 Jan 2007
One of the best comedies ever.
Rated 26 Jan 2007
I bloody love this film, I don't care that its stupid or the fact the hero pretty much grows superhuman kung-fu in a second. It's great, end of.
Rated 18 Feb 2007
Violence, over the top moves, and a plot thiner than my fingernails. In other words, good action flick
Rated 21 Feb 2007
Incomprehensible. Probably funny if I were an 8-year-old kid, but I'm not.
Rated 25 Feb 2007
Great fighting and attack battle film
Rated 25 Mar 2007
If you were going to mix martial arts and comedy, you do it either like Jackie Chan with varying degrees of success, or you do it like Stephen Chow and land success everytime.
Rated 02 Apr 2007
Such an odd movie, but with a crazy energy and charm that's hard to resist.
Rated 21 Apr 2007
A film which is simply put visually stunning but stupendous fun. Great fun to watch.
Rated 26 May 2007
Hilarious.
Rated 28 May 2007
If not the best, one of the best in its genre
Rated 08 Jun 2007
Amusing, but not as good as Shaolin Soccer.
Rated 01 Jul 2007
Remarkably entertaining and incredibly goofy. Chow's second-best film to date.
Rated 03 Jul 2007
The characters in this were amazing, especially the three warriors in the beginning. Not to mention the Axe gang, a very cool nod to Gangs of New York.
Rated 12 Jul 2007
Drags a bit at points, but some great action and it's pretty funny.
Rated 24 Jul 2007
Eclectic and lots of fun to watch.
Rated 05 Aug 2007
Not as funny as Shaolin Soccer but good fun nonttheless
Rated 07 Aug 2007
Another fun martial arts comedy by Stephen Chow, although it's the supporting cast that steals the show in this movie. Lots of impressive CGI and vaudevillian physical comedy.
Stephen Chow's worst movie, and it is still good.
Stephen Chow, ladies and gentleman, is the God of Comedy. A hilarious reincarnation of buddha, if you will.
Madcap action and perfect pacing make this a chaotic masterpiece. Stephen Chow is a brilliant storyteller.
Funny mockery of kung fu movies...not a coincidence that it's near Shaun of the Dead in rankings.
Complete and sheer entertainment.
I didn't expect it to be as good as it was when I saw it in theaters. Easily one of the top 3 films I saw in 2005. Highly recommended.
A non stop and highly entertaining Kung Fu romp.
a great asian action\comedy...if a fan of crouching tigers will like this...kinda like a anime world but in real life
I love it, it pokes fun at Karate movies, but is itself a Karate movie
Good stupid-humor and cool fight-sequences bring the win-action.
Very fun and even tops Chow's previous domestic release Shaolin Soccer.
a blast to watch! i can put it on anytime
Stylish and original.
Such a cool film, really different take on a kung fu movie...hilarious at times.
Man I love these kinds of movies. Stereotypical "english dubbed over chinese mouth movements" film, but done really well.
This is a really fun movie. It makes you laugh, has cool martial arts, and great special effects.
Goofy, and slightly amusing.
Kung Fu Hustle tells a good story with style and visual flair. Very impressive on all fronts.
not as good as i expected. it has its funny moments and also its very nice action sequences, but overall the mix just doesn't seem to be right and in fact it has some very boring passages, especially in the first half
Fun.
Strange Kung Fu farce.
A wonderful and strange kung fu movie. Could have been boring and luckluster but it was so odd and origianl I couldnt help but to like it. Special Bonus Points: Trailer pinball scene.
Another fun Stephen Chow film. Don't think to hard about anything you see, and you'll enjoy the ride.
A joyful flick.
camp fun at its best. kooky and fun. if you don't enjoy this then you're too damn boring to matter.
Boisterous action comedy taking its cues from Western cinemas co-opting of Eastern values.
love it. very funny. however, ballroom blitz isn't actually in the film.
Great special effects but cruel story.
This movie is awesome. If you don't like it you're an ass.
This is a better version of Shaolin Soccer. It has a blind dude who fights with a Koto...this movie is great.
null
Stephen Chow rules so hard.
Pastiche!
Mindless fun. I must admit I liked the US (shorter) version a little more than the original.
Funny and good fighting.
Even if you aren't one to be blown away by special effects, you may just be blown away by how relentlessly imaginative Chow's vision is, in this potpourri of action, comedy and thrills galore.
a wicked good time
Rated 19 Aug 2007
Classic kung fu movie with a dose of adrenaline and lots of humor, some of it dark. Like the Road Runner cartoons in a Kung Fu movie.
Rated 19 Aug 2007
It is not funny. So, when the action tries to be funny it ruins everything.
Rated 21 Aug 2007
Good
Rated 22 Aug 2007
Funny, but not funny enough
Rated 24 Aug 2007
My favorite part of the movie was at the very beginning when The Axes were dancing during the credit roll. The movie promised a lot more - style, charm and elegance - than what it actually delivered. There were a few other cool scenes, such as the harpists who played weapon songs, but the whole affair was surprisingly puerile. It was almost like the film was yelling "hey, look, I'm a funny martial arts flick!" the entire time.
Rated 31 Aug 2007
Great MA spoof. Well made and quite funny.
Rated 04 Sep 2007
Kung Fu Hustle has lots of action and fighting and comedy. I liked this movie real lot.
Rated 15 Sep 2007
Wildly entertaining film that is only handicapped by being too cool too soon. It began to feel repetitive, but the finale is still quite fun.
Rated 30 Sep 2007
My first Stephen Chow film. It's interesting, but it's difficult for me to reconcile the Looney Tunes imagery with Hong Kong Kung-Fu flicks. With a title like that, I was hoping for more dance numbers.
Rated 17 Oct 2007
Like the best Buster Keaton movie mixed with a Busby Berkeley musical, but made in Hong Kong.
Rated 18 Oct 2007
One of, if not thee best martial art spoof films ever.
Rated 31 Oct 2007
Hilariously funny martial arts comedy.
Rated 16 Nov 2007
fabulously inventive and hilarious.

Directed by: