La Haine
La-Haine

La Haine

1995
Drama, Crime
Abdel, a local hoodlum, is hospitalized after a riot, where a policeman lost his gun. His friend Vinz finds it and claims he will kill a cop if Abdel dies. (imdb)
Amazon VideoApple TVCriterion Channel

Kassovitz has created what is now one of my all-time favourite films; a stark, shocking and realistic portrayal of life in the Paris slums seen through the eyes of three racially different young men who are changed by the decaying society and end up in a battle for their lives. It's brilliant and strangely intriguing, I highly recommend this to everyone. It's a film which we all should see whether politics is relevant to us or not for it's a lesson learned in terms of ethics and morality.
So much energy, outstanding movie
Kassovitz wears his influences quite plainly on his sleeve... this film is dripping with Spike Lee and Martin Scorsese references. As derivative as it is, however, it does have a certain freshness (or perhaps FRENCHness) that makes it more than a copycat picture. I found that I cared about the three main characters without actually liking them very much, which I guess is a neat trick. It's awfully funny listening to people try to sound all badass in French, though.
A cop loses his gun during a riot in a Parisian ghetto, and it is found by a group of teens whose friend was put into a coma by a police officer. Vincent Cassel is ragetastic as a seething ball of directionless anger and attitude, and the sudden, unexpected ending leaves a powerful impression. However, one struggles to escape the feeling that French guys calling each other "homeboy" is deeply silly somehow.
The plot could be more coherent but that's about the only flaw. Gritty street feel and a phenomenal ending.

Submitted bynessalkNessalk on 05 May 2006