La Strada
La-Strada

La Strada

1954
Romance, Drama
Gelsomina is sold by her very poor mother to Zampano, an itinerant strongman. She follows him on the road (La Strada)
KanopyCriterion ChannelTCMMax Amazon ChannelMax

With La Strada, I found myself deeply saddened by the character Gelsomina, and all the trouble she runs into with the impatient, and easily angered strongman Zampano. What I loved about La Strada, was how different the two characters are, even exact opposites. Gelsomina, is a caring, almost selfless character, who is practically on a leash being held by a man who cares only for himself. The end result of their relationship, and the conclusion of the film deeply moved me. Great Film.
"Thou shalt not cast thy talentless wife in leading roles!" - The 11th commandment, sadly omitted in most bibles
Long, dull, and of very little point
Gelsomina's collage of facial expressions [owing much from silent comedians] become so poignant with a script/players of this intensity and naturalism. A lovely transition of a classic theme - Anthony Quinn is magnificent.
This is Fellini at his very finest. A very special and harrowing film which everyone should watch.

Submitted bydieciadieCia on 20 Mar 2006