1986
Musical
Family/Kids
16-year-old Sarah (Jennifer Connelly) accidentally wishes her baby stepbrother Toby to the evil Goblin King Jareth (David Bowie) who will transform Toby into a goblin if Sarah does not complete his Labyrinth in 13 hours.(imdb)

1986
Musical
Family/Kids

Rated 15 Jul 2007
A film that sexualizes David Bowie as an infant-stealing goblin in tights. In other words, a perfect film.
Rated 06 Sep 2022
Bowie could have operated a puppet himself with that thing.
Very campy but still a lot of fun. The brisk pace and abundance of fun characters makes this a joy to watch, even if it is all pretty silly. It's also technically impressive: the puppet effects are convincing and the sets are excellent, from the hopelessly huge scope of the Labyrinth to the Escher-ist stairs at the climax. Bowie's pants are a bit too much.
Rated 21 Dec 2006
Not for everyone but amazing sets, puppets, music and lovable characters plus that whacky 80's feel are what makes the Labyrinth such an adventure. The Labyrinth is always enjoyable and constantly unique.
Rated 20 Mar 2014
I have seen David Bowie's well-defined bulge many times before but unfortunately I have not seen it as if from the eyes of a child...until now. I have grown into a mostly heterosexual male but had I seen Labyrinth at the age of 11 during my budding sexuality and my first exposure to masturbation, who knows what would have happened. Life may have been different.
Rated 25 Sep 2010
Interesting visuals, creepy David Bowie with half a cantaloupe in his pants, decent 80's soundtrack. The one thing they forgot to do was make the lead character likable.
Rated 30 Jul 2016
Some of this is really good: The adventure plot, the set design and the tone of Connelly's scenes are all well done and a lot of fun even if a bit cheesy at times. The rest of it, though, is really bad. It's cool they got Bowie and he does a good job with his part, but the movie doesn't need multiple musical interludes. The goblins are annoying and in general every background scene that tries to justify why Connelly's character is doing the things she does only serves to drag the film down.
Rated 14 Jan 2010
I hope he stuffed at least five socks down there.
Rated 21 Sep 2010
Clumsy, awkward and hamfisted in some respects (the script, the misjudged musical numbers, too many characters), Jim Henson's post Dark Crystal effort still boasts some of the most fascinating and imaginative puppetry work and set design ever seen in a feature. Highlights, the Escher relativity scene, the Fire Gang dance. Unique and worth seeing.
Rated 10 Sep 2008
The Python Terry Jones wrote the script, and with that blend of fantastical dadaism in a children's film where David Bowie tosses a baby... how can you take it seriously?
Rated 22 Jan 2016
To its credit, much of Henson's puppet work is excellent, and the characters are generally good fun. However, the story itself is lacking, with no real peril and a rushed, anticlimactic conclusion. Connelly's acting is poor and Bowie, though a charismatic presence, ultimately makes a rather disappointing villain, with songs that should really be better given his near-unparalleled musical talent.
Rated 20 Mar 2007
This film is incredibly overrated but is still a classic in its own right. It may not be all that great but its iconic story and visuals make it a movie everyone should see once.
Rated 06 Sep 2022
Very weird, a bit confusing, but rather fun. I liked the puppets, thought Bowie was a riot (as was his costuming), but didn't feel Connelly's character was particularly sympathetic. There was definitely something a bit sinister going on that I couldn't quite put my finger on. I might have appreciated it more if I'd seen it as a bairn.
Rated 27 Feb 2012
Many good ideas and awesome art direction, but the script is quite awful and Bowie's creepiness isn't always the right kind.
This movie is all about David Bowie's package. Not really. It's a fun fantasy tale that at times is quite dark and at others quite light and funny. Jim Henson was a genius, and this movie at least proves that he was a technical magician. The movie is a little weird, but the amazing puppetry makes it worth it for anyone with any interest special effects done the Henson way, which in my mind is the best way. Really good!
Rated 25 Sep 2015
A pretty fun movie with some cool effects and enjoyable story. I liked most of it, including Bowie's buldge.
Rated 27 Jan 2023
Faded childhood favorite, a corny Oz/Wonderland knockoff with muppets. Bowie's only rocking this much hog because Sting set the bar so high in Dune
Rated 23 May 2008
A great classic. No modern CGI could ever beat the allmighty Jim Henson! If you like this, be sure to see the Dark Crystal as well.
Rated 21 Jun 2011
You remind me of the babe. What babe? The babe with the power. What power? The power of voodoo. Who do? You do.
Rated 08 Jul 2018
100 points. Fight me!
Rated 02 Jan 2007
Worth anyone's time thanks to amazing production design and, of course, the smooth stylings of David Bowie.
Rated 25 Jan 2007
My God, is there a person alive who DOESN'T like this film? Definately one of the best things to come out of the eighties. If you don't already own it, what's stopping you?
Rated 01 Feb 2007
This film was essentially written for Bowie, and it's his best work. Adventure, fantasy, puppets, and comedy with nothing what it seems. A great movie for those with an imagination. (Unless all you can think about are genitals, then Bowie's will become the object of your focus you small little person. I hope you're pleased with yourself.)
Rated 27 Mar 2007
Holy shit! A very young and sexy Jennifer Connelly teaming up with David Bowie? In an epic fantasy film? Fuck yes! Then you throw in Jim Henson? They don't make them like they used to.
Rated 29 Mar 2007
Henson in his heights. Connelly as a preteen lolita princessed. I guess there is something noble about her. Strange appearence by Bowie. But main things are the sets and the animatronics. Escherian finale is a sight to see.
Rated 11 May 2012
Holly fucking Bowie's trousers.
Rated 30 Aug 2010
Ah Mr Bowie, how much magic do you keep stashed in your tights?
Rated 29 Sep 2009
Incredible display of Imagination. Beautiful work of puppetry and a brillant metaphor on the right time to become an adult.
Rated 28 May 2007
Not bad little kiddie fantasy. Somehow the whole is less than the sum of the parts
Rated 09 Feb 2022
Packed with an incredible amount of detail, though it tends to rush through things a bit too fast. Still, a fun light fantasy romp. Bowie manages to steal the show from the fantastic puppetry.
DANCE MAGIC DANCE!
I never saw it as a younger so I don't feel any nostalgia towards it. As such it's an alright film but nothing special. As a note Bowie appears to have a Hulk sized package in this. Seriously.
This movie is all my childhood was about. "It's onlyyyyy forever - it's not long at aaaaall"
They had the effects, the production design and the cinematography. They didn't have a story.
Rated 29 May 2015
As was the case with most 80s family movies, I totally missed the boat on this one as a kid. I'm not sure I would have appreciated it or not back then. I mainly gobbled up animated stuff-- all the live-action films seemed long and colorless and soporific. Labyrinth has all the color and charm that I craved back then, along with a storyline and characters I would have identified with as a girl. Watching it feels like such a fever dream that at times I feel like I will nod right off, though.
Excellent childrens fantasy, featuring gret puppet work by Jim Henson and a wonderful story. Truly enchanting.
Rated 15 Jan 2022
‘And the award for best supporting codpiece goes to…’ Beautiful production and character design are definite plusses, and the furious comedy punning in the screenplay is fun, but arbitrary plotting, and “rules” of the goblin world, makes investing in the quest difficult. While Bowie is a charismatic presence, his character is neither a genuine threat or campily amusing in the Rocky Horror tradition; Connelly shows no sign of her future talent, turning in a bland and disappointing performance.
Rated 24 Sep 2015
The things which made this movie great: music, cinematography, sets and costumes and lastly - Bowie's bulge. Amazing fantasy movie.
Rated 20 Jul 2009
Excellent fantasy story featuring David Bowie's magic dancing package.
Rated 12 Jan 2016
Funny and charismatic, with some memorable sequences, but too silly for its own good.
Rated 21 Nov 2015
The meaning of life, of course, is to jump through hoops set by a sociopathic society (perfectly embodied by David Bowie's paedophilic Goblin King) in order to obtain coveted offspring of your own, who will in time do it all over again themselves.
Rated 02 Jul 2009
I can dig it. This is a charming and weird but ultimately fun and successful film with some hilarious David Bowie in it.
Rated 10 May 2021
Had I seen it as a child I would have loved it.
Rated 20 Dec 2014
While this movie is quite charming, it is also very simple. It manages to achieve greatness at its fundamental and superficial level, it never goes beyond that. It really could have been a little more thought-provoking to match its imagination. I know its a kids movie, i am just harsh. That being said David Bowie and the bulge stole the show and Connelly was functional. Great puppetry by Henson as well. I enjoyed this definitely.
Rated 27 Jun 2011
Really a movie that had to be a part of your childhood.
Rated 25 Mar 2016
Excellent puppeteering and fun movement overcome its musical numbers and David Bowie's pants to produce an entertaining but not altogether remarkable film.
Rated 26 Apr 2008
Somewhat deliciously immature in spirit.
Rated 30 May 2008
You remind me of the babe. What babe? The babe with the power. What power? The power of Voodoo. Who do? You do! Do what? Remind me of the babe. Review over.
Rated 16 Oct 2022
Creative vision, but didn't watch until I was an adult, so I have no nostalgia for this movie. The "dance magic dance" song was catchy, but the rest were forgettable or sometimes painful to listen to. Jareth was a fun villian and probably the most memorable part.
Rated 01 Aug 2014
"Your eyes can be so cruel, just as I can be so cruel."
Rated 07 Dec 2009
A fairly accurate portrayal of David Bowie's home life.
Rated 22 Dec 2008
David Bowie's bulge increases in size as the movie goes on.
Rated 07 Nov 2010
A friend made me watch this after I admitted that I had never heard of it. A silly 80's kids movie with David Bowie playing a goblin king isn't really my thing I guess. It made me laugh a couple of times, but it's hard to enjoy this kind of movie if you were born 3 years after it was released.
Rated 12 Nov 2008
When David Bowie, Jennifer Connelly, Escher, labyrinths, goblins, 13 hour clocks, crystal balls, junkyards, monsters who can summon stones, weak bridges, talking door-knockers, illusions, white dresses, and characters with names such as 'Sir Didymus' are all involved, five stars doesn't even do justice...
Rated 29 Sep 2012
The first film in Jennifer Connelly's hard drugs series.
Rated 08 Dec 2006
An excellent childhood movie I watched all the time. The actors are fabulous and continues to be a classic favourite of mine.
Rated 03 Jan 2024
Crazy quirky fairy tale, not necessarily for children. All puppets were great, especially goblins.
Rated 20 Jun 2012
Great puppets, great music, and a trippy adventure that never veers into the cliche. In my opinion, the greatest fantasy movie of the 80s, and one of the best of all time - I've seen this countless times, and always enjoy the hell out of it
Rated 28 Feb 2007
It has been a long long time but nostalgia and the parts I remember tell me it wasn't half bad.
Rated 03 May 2010
As ive aged and movies have progressed, I find myself disenchanted with this movie, but its best parts are still great though.
Rated 23 Jun 2007
Bowie. Henson. The Bog of Eternal Stench. Nuff said.
Rated 11 Jul 2015
Dat crotch.
Rated 18 Mar 2013
80% The Wizard of Oz, 20% shit that J.K. Rowling lifted when writing Harry Potter.
Bwahahaha!!! Bowie's pants serve absolutely no purpose in this movie.
Man I wanted to visit the Labyrinth so bad as a kid. Amazing puppet work.
Rated 05 Jul 2012
This is overall a great movie which is better because I grew up watching it. Labyrinth is a weird film to rate tho because although it has aged well it's got some problems too. Two big problems, first the beginning is poorly acted and make Sarah unlikable (which is okay) and the biggest problem for me is the numerous musical numbers that seem to rip myself and everyone I've watched this with out of the movie. Everything else is so good, just those damned music numbers almost ruin everything.
Rated 27 Feb 2010
David Bowie!!!
Guh, hated Bowie then, hate Bowie now. He drags it down about 10 spots
Rated 12 Jan 2016
This is a movie that plucks out individual fairy tale tropes, reassembling them into a stage onto which the characters project shadows of themselves. The story isn't really about overcoming dangers, but accepting that you have both the responsibility and the power to do so.
Rated 02 Aug 2009
Dig that crazy bulge.
Almost makes it as a good fantasy, but the awkwardness of a lot of the staging makes it feel shoddy.
Rated 09 Jan 2012
8- highly recommended, great
Rated 31 Jul 2009
Weird 80's fun.
MUPPETS!
ABSOLUTELY TERRIFYING TO A 5 YEAR OLD
Rated 22 Jun 2024
What shines the most here beside Jim Henson's puppets and creativity is David Bowie's "Goblin King". Joke aside, it is probably more accessible than Dark Crystal, with a more fertile and diversified world building/set of characters. However, the girl was not a favourite of mine, and so much rested on her character that it weighted the movie down from its flight to the fantastical. Kids might like it alright though, some might find it mildly creepy, but it might amaze them still
Rated 22 Nov 2011
If you're a fan of Jim Henson and/or David Bowie, this is definitely something you'll want to take a look at. If you aren't, well... It'll be hit or miss.
Rated 31 Dec 2012
This movie is a cult classic. It's a quirky story with quirky characters. Definitely a lot of fun, and a great performance by David Bowie.
Rated 17 Oct 2007
Pure 80's Cheese, but loved it nonetheless.
Rated 29 Oct 2007
Masterful design and special effects, intriguing casting and a great story, if a little dull and dark in places.
Rated 14 Jul 2021
OK fantasy adventure, but the muppets, David Bowie music and attempts at comedy took me out of it.
Rated 25 Mar 2015
Jennifer Connelly please be my four year old self's girlfriend.
Rated 15 Jan 2009
Neat!
Rated 27 Jan 2008
it s all right
Rated 05 Feb 2008
Some of my friends are OBSESSED with this Henson disaster. Maybe it's time to get new friends
Rated 12 Jan 2009
More notable for strong characters and special effects than for the rather unremarkable story or career-embarrassment soundtrack from David Bowie. If "Dance Magic" doesn't make you wish your ears had an off switch, your tolerance for cheese is dangerously high.
Rated 01 Apr 2008
OMG!
Rated 24 Apr 2008
Young Jennifer Connelly is swept off to a huge maze (labyrinth) full of wacky muppets and David Bowie in a codpiece. As the King of the Goblins, he sets numerous temptations in her path so she won't find her way to her baby brother before he's transformed into a goblin. Unique. Just sail along for the ride. God bless you Jim Henson, wherever you are.
Rated 21 Apr 2013
1 point for each time I watched it as a kid.
Rated 06 Apr 2009
Seems very dated now that childrens' entertainment has come on so far from the age of bulbous-headed puppets like Hoggle. The characters are a weird mix of the bizarre, the annoying and the terrifying, but in terms of structure and content, the story is still perfect for kids in the 8-12 range. The themes of friendship and persistence are seamlessly woven in. Connelly's wide-eyed performance is winsome, and Bowie gets just about enough to work with. Not captivating, but deserves classic status.
Rated 06 Jun 2008
I love this psychedelic film! With its look and its music... the labyrinth is everything!
Rated 24 Jun 2008
Ha ha ha! Ha ha ha! Tee hee hee! Check out his package! Tee hee hee!
Rated 30 Mar 2011
SMELL BAD!
Rated 10 Nov 2017
The beginning promises a much darker and interesting film than it turns out to be. But it has nice old school special effects and Bowie's songs, and is rather watchable. Bowie's performance really disappoints though.
Rated 19 Sep 2008
That was my first experience with something so 'experimental' for me on that time.
Rated 28 Oct 2019
Wishesbabytaken:P+lovethewormlmao+MAGICDANCE+saves/befriendsbeast+bogofeternalstenchlol+startsgettingmehsometimes+youhavenopowerovermesowinslol+inroomsaysneedsthemall-hugsall/danceparty
Rated 01 Nov 2009
Good music, pretty bad acting, boring. But for a child, which is the target audience, I guess this would be a good watch.
Rated 19 May 2009
Love this..it's fun for entire family
Rated 20 Nov 2008
A good bit cuter than I usually like my otherworldly fantasy flicks, but rightfully a classic for performances by Jennifer Connelly and David Bowie, as well as another beautifully successful Froud-Henson collaboration on the puppet and full-costume characters. I've met Toby Froud once; he was 12 at the time and meeting him and his parents was actually one of the most charming celebrity encounters of my life. Every time I think about it I think about this movie and smile.
Rated 24 Nov 2008