1944
Romance, Drama
A police detective falls in love with the woman whose murder he's investigating. (imdb)

For as much as this movie is praised, I found the whole to be less than the sum of its parts. The script is definitely clever, and the supporting cast is superb, but the central roles of Laura and the detective disappoint - Gene Tierney just doesn't exude the near-supernatural charisma that she's meant to, and Dana Andrews is completely flat and emotionless, making their eventual romance less than compelling. Definitely worth watching, but not quite the masterpiece its reputation would suggest.
Superb mystery, owing at least as much to classical detective stories as to the later, hard-boiled ones. Waldo Lydecker is a marvelous creation, perhaps one of my favorite characters of all time, and Clifton Webb is spectacular in the role. The solution to the mystery, albeit wholly satisfying, is only a minor part of the pleasure of rewatching 'Laura'. Moreso, the joy derives from spending time with an ever-interesting gallery of suspects and from the wonderfully intricate plotting. Flawless.
I thought Clifton Webb was Vincent Price at first because I just assume Price was always an old man since he came out of the womb.
If I had a nickel for every time I fell in love with a girl while imagining she was a corpse...oh God! Abort joke! Abort joke!
A fantastic film noir. Gene Tierney is easily one of the most breathtakingly beautiful actresses of her generation. The plot is engagingly labyrinthine, the characters memorable, and it has aged wonderfully.

Submitted bydallyDally on 30 Mar 2006