Le Signe du lion
Le-Signe-du-lion
Le-Signe-du-lion

Le Signe du lion

1962
Pierre (Jess Hahn) is a music student and already living on a shoestring when he hears that he has inherited a large sum of money. But just when it looks like his luck is changing for the better, his so-called inheritance is suddenly ephemeral. Saddled with debts, he wanders around the shadier side of the city throughout the summer, trying to survive but instead sinking deeper and deeper into the morass of poverty. His friends help out, and at the end it looks like his luck will be changing once again. (All Movie Guide)
We weren't able to find any streaming offers for Le Signe du lion

The concerns with ethics and more directly (here) with fate and chance can't compare to the director's later work, but this does really succeed in giving a feeling of how quickly it is possible to slide into destitution...and of Paris as a prison of stone. Incidentally, the writer credited with the dialogue, Paul Gégauff, who mainly worked with Chabrol, was on Christmas Eve 1983 stabbed to death by his young wife Coco Ducados, who had five years earlier played a small role in Rohmer's PERCEVAL.
A really good first outing from Rohmer. It's a little less dialogue heavy than his later work and the main character isn't really likable, but on the whole it still has that incisive look at human relationships that I like him for. Although a bit rough at times it has a lot of good shots of Paris and and is quite enjoyable.
More New Wave-y than his usual naturalistic style. It reminded me of early Malle. I felt a kinship for Pierre, despite finding him not very sympathetic. You feel for him as his situation becomes more desperate. The middle section is particularly engrossing, with some really fantastic location work and a performance from Jess Hahn that never lowers itself to the showboating it would be in lesser hands. I could have done without the little ironic moments, which threaten to cheapen the whole thing.
Rohmer é mesmo o cineasta mais insuportável da Nouvelle Vague, não me entenda mal, de modo algum seus filmes são ruins, mas raramente é possível se conectar sentimentalmente ou intelectualmente aos seus personagens masculinos, aqui emulando uma certa tendência neorrealista, mas sem o carisma dos diretores italianos, as coisas só pegam no tranco com a entrada do mendigo ao final do filme que finalmente coloca gás a uma história que já vinha se arrastando há mais de uma hora. BlurayRip
# 993