2001
Romance
Elle Woods (Witherspoon) has it all. She's the president of her sorority, a Hawaiian Tropic girl, Miss June in her campus calendar, and, above all, a natural blonde. She dates the cutest fraternity boy on campus and wants nothing more than to be Mrs. Warner Huntington III. But, there's just one thing stopping Warner (Davis) from popping the question: Elle is TOO blonde. So, when Warner packs up for Harvard Law and reunites with an old sweetheart from prep school, Elle rallies all her resources and gets into Harvard, determined to win him back. (MGM)

2001
Romance

Rated 03 Dec 2015
This movie is like kryptonite to anyone with a penis, or a brain.
Rated 26 Jul 2019
I have a question about War Machine's review. Is the "and" in that sentence linking two individual words or two separate reactions to the film? Either way I had a similar experience.
Rated 12 Apr 2017
Plays up a lot of stereotypes-ditzy blonde only being one of them-but at least to the central one it offers a unique "both/and" response too: You can be both boy-crazy and a Harvard student. You can wear pink and be a serious lawyer (see Elle's return to the courtroom). You can be smart and silly (see Elle's mature grad speech ending with a squealed "We did it!"). Witherspoon, Wilson, and Coolidge with her side-romance with the handsome postman are all charming in this fluffy but pleasant flick.
Yeah, there are funny moments (particularly those concerning Jennifer Coolidge) but I couldn't help but feel this movie utterly failed at conveying its intended message. Elle's great triumphs in the courtroom all involve her fashion knowledge. As far as legal matters are concerned, she's still a bumbling idiot. What happens when she gets a case that doesn't involve fashion at all?
Rated 24 Jul 2007
God, this fucking movie pisses me off. I just wanna smack it. Reese Witherspoon grates as Elle Woods, and I want to punch anyone in the mouth who tells me that this movie is about "female empowerment". The only reason she goes to Harvard is because she wants to see her ex-boyfriend! What the fuck Elle Woods, just friend the motherfucker on MySpace.
A privileged, shallow and stupid girl weasels her way into law school so she can continue to get what she feels entitled to. What a horrible message.
Rated 07 Sep 2020
Witherspoon's charming, slyly subversive performance is the blatant centerpiece of easygoing if ultimately insubstantial comedy, which rests on memories of Witherspoon's star persona (Elle is essentially a bimbo-fied Tracey Flick) rather than advancing it. It's something of a shame as Reese's excellent and empathetic work could have supported a more hard-edged project, but this still has merit as a blithely entertaining time-filler, with a strong supporting cast bringing a little extra class.
Rated 01 Jun 2010
You know how Criticker has a "rank more films" thing? Well, I was going through that and I noticed this and the film directly below it, which happened to be Taxi Driver. I asked myself "why the fuck have you seen Legally Blonde, a genuinely shit film, and not Taxi Driver, a film often regarded as Scorsese's best effort starring one of the best actors of all time". Fuck, man, that's just not right. I'm going to buy Taxi Driver today.
Rated 19 May 2015
Okay so what happens on the next case when you can't prove that he raped and murdered everyone on the haunted bus because no one had on that cute lil' Versace number. SCARY MOVIE.
Rated 03 Feb 2007
Just read the summary to know how fucking stupid this movie is. She's TOO blonde people. TOO BLONDE.
Rated 24 Feb 2007
Entertaining if you enjoy the "haha she's blonde so she's dumb and quirky but smart in her own way" type movies. If you don't, like me, then this isn't worth seeing.
Rated 09 Mar 2019
Not exactly high brow or funny, or really believable - but this movie is charming nonetheless. It faults in the third act and falls into egregious clichés, but it's likable nonetheless.
Rated 10 Feb 2008
I just checked to see if it had some 18-year-old girls with scarce clothing. It didn't.
Rated 19 May 2008
The message to this movie is that Harvard will let absolutely anyone in.
Rated 13 Dec 2006
Should of avoided this movie since Reese Witherspoon sucks ass.
Rated 06 Mar 2007
Razor-sharp and refreshingly good-spirited comedy about women who actually seem not to hate each other - a frustratingly common crutch in female-centric comedies.
Rated 20 May 2017
It wasnt as funny as I thought it'd be but I loved the story and shit more than I thought I would :P
This is one of those movies that if its on TBS on a saturday morning I'll have on the background while I do my taxes and buy stocks while being fellated from my pregnant wife.
Rated 23 Aug 2009
I scored this movie 50 only because I think Reese Witherspoon is cute
Rated 30 Apr 2008
Delightful, funny and surprisingly thoughtful comedy.
Rated 09 May 2011
A girl-power comedy that takes one very much by surprise, mainly thanks to the effortless charms of Reese Witherspoon, presenting a character who embraces her girly socialite ways while still proving to be much smarter and more capable and engaging than many other such characters in movies past and present. This is one girl you WILL root for.
Rated 30 Nov 2006
Pretty funny.
Clichéd romantic comedy and all, it's still kind of fun to watch, though nothing special. It's the kind of movie that you go into with zero expectations and come out pleasantly surprised that it wasn't a pile of shit.
Rated 02 Jan 2007
Legalmente Loira estreava há 20 anos nos EUA. Adorei pelo seu potencial feminista quando vi no cinema há vinte anos, adorei quando revi agora. Recentemente soube que inicialmente a Elle Woods terminaria como par da Vivian, mas foi descartado, talvez as comédias não estivessem preparadas para isso em 2001, mas tenho certeza se gravado hoje seria esse mesmo o final. BlurayRip RARBG.
Rated 04 Dec 2018
maybe a bit above average rom com so an average movie at best
Rated 04 Jan 2011
I suppose this movie has something for you if you're a chick or something, but... meh. I'm a guy, and I just didn't see anything that great from this film. In fact, the only reason I'm ranking it is because I've more or less seen all of it from it being overplayed on tv.
Rated 18 Nov 2009
horrible
Rated 19 Mar 2007
Pre-Oscar Reese Witherspoon in the film to send her career sailing, "Legally Blonde" is understandably loved by teen girls everywhere because Reese is perfect in the role of Elle Woods, and the movie is not without its share of laughs. Unfortunately it also stars Luke Wilson.
Rated 19 Mar 2007
Legally Blonde should have been absolute garbage but when you actually watch it you'll find it's one of the funniest movies you'll see of this type. Witherspoon is excellent and the story is very creative. I really liked this movie!
Rated 10 Nov 2018
I'll give Reese Witherspoon credit for committing to this caricature 100% but her character is still a caricature and this is still only masquerading as a real film despite the moments where it seems to be self-aware.
Rated 05 Jan 2013
As a person who has grown to hate modern fifth wave feminism, I think this movie is a triumph of the original feminist agenda. Our circumstances nor appearances dictate our worth or potential. Elle exemplifies the message. Her ditsy sweetness fools others (and even herself) into thinking that she isn’t smart or capable, but she proves the world wrong.
Rated 18 Dec 2010
Awful.
I enjoyed this more than the sequel. It was smarter and less preachy. But just as engaging.
god i hate ditzy blonde comedies (read: all of reese witherspoon's comedies)
Rated 22 Oct 2009
funny
Solid chick flick.
Some people love this film, I don't
Fluffy, but not offensive.
When a blonde sorority queen is dumped by her boyfriend, she decides to follow him to law school to get him back and, once there, learns she has more legal savvy than she ever imagined.(IMDB)
Rated 08 Mar 2012
Not a great comedy by any means, but certainly better than it has any right to be. There are enough real laughs to keep it moving along nicely.
Rated 07 Jan 2011
Rated 04 Dec 2009
Fluffy comedy made watchable by Reese Witherspoon's engaging performance.
Fun fun fun. Reese is perfect as Elle.
Witherspoon selling out - hope the money was worth it...
Now that was a good comedy! Why a sequel??
This is sort of funny, but the second one is worse.
Rated 14 Mar 2017
Place holder score/review until I rewatch
Rated 07 Mar 2012
just....not funny
Rated 22 Jul 2020
UNDERRATED CLASSIC. Don't get all egotistical and deny the fact this film is great.
Rated 25 Mar 2013
Legally Blonde is the type of movie that's fun in the moment, but completely worthless just moments later. The charm that Reese Witherspoon exudes throughout the proceedings absorbs you so fully that you forget the problems that it has -- for the time being, at least. Once it's over, you might start to dislike it more and more, but as it plays, it's a fun mixture of comedy and bubbly-ness. It's such a happy and innocent film that becomes even sillier under any inspection.
one of those guilty-pleasure type movies
Like Goldie, Reese can carry these kinds of films with nothing more than her smile and cheery personality, and while the role seems to have been written for someone more of the blonde bombshell variety, we like Reese as Elle so much, anyone else would have been a big letdown.
Rated 19 Nov 2016
GIRL POWER
Rated 26 Jan 2012
I would use this movie to torture people. It is that bad.
Rated 03 Oct 2022
Its sincerity is plain to see and endearing, I just wish it were actually funny.
Rated 29 Mar 2015
2.18/5
Rated 15 Sep 2007
Kinda good, especially when one considers how bad it could have been. Witherspoon is very good in the role and manages to make her ditz more likeable than annoying.
Rated 19 Sep 2007
Boobjuice really hits the nail on the head.
Rated 15 Oct 2007
Funny in some parts, but mostly stupid.
Rated 18 Oct 2007
Original and funny. Well cast. Some great laughs.
Rated 21 Mar 2013
One of those movies that would make me feel like I really wasted my time...
Rated 28 Aug 2010
Reese Witherspoon fits the "legally blonde" stereotype as Elle Woods. This movie is most definitely a chick flick comprised of silly comedy and is perfect if your in the mood for a good laugh. Pink is the perfect color to describe this light hearted film.
Rated 19 Nov 2007
Why have I seen this movie twice?
Rated 04 Jan 2008
Comedy ? In what sense? Predictable juvenile and just un-funny. A waste of film or disk space.
Rated 12 Jan 2008
Not really sure if I've seen this... might have been Clueless.
Rated 02 Feb 2008
Heart-warming and enjoyable movie about remaining true to yourself
Rated 05 Aug 2010
A great, simple comedy that anyone can enjoy. I have fond memories of watching this in Legal Studies at High School as if it was even somewhat relevant to what we were studying.
Rated 19 Aug 2009
Could have done without this.
Rated 06 Mar 2008
ok **
Rated 27 Mar 2008
Reese Witherspoon has a flat face.
Rated 12 Apr 2008
The single best Chick Flick of all time. Reese Witherspoon at her most Type-A Leading Lady, an awesome girl power ending, and gives you all sorts of characters that defy their stereotypes.
Rated 26 Nov 2015
Contrived and ugly but watchable
Rated 05 Aug 2010
Should be "Illegally Watched"
Rated 11 Aug 2009
Cute fun film.
Rated 02 Jun 2008
Corny film that celebrates stupidity.
Rated 13 Jun 2008
okay movie
Rated 27 Aug 2015
Surprisingly solid.
Rated 13 Oct 2020
A very pink movie. It's always pleasure to watch when a character turns her/his weakness to strongest site. Something similar happens in this movie. The latter part of the movie didn't work.
Rated 28 Jul 2009
As a law school destined soul, I appreciate the light heartedness of this movie.
Rated 03 Sep 2008
"What, like it's hard?"
Rated 21 Sep 2008
Witherspoon is a great actress and makes this role believable, and you actually root for her.
Rated 19 Oct 2008
Another hollywood chic, vapid inspirational film. Blyeaagh.
Rated 23 Oct 2008
sort of cute but not my kind of movie.
Rated 12 Sep 2022
This is a movie about feminism.
Rated 31 Dec 2023
this movie foreshadowed barbie
Rated 23 Jan 2009
Funny, cute satire I think on the dumb blonde cliche. The sequel sucked though
Rated 11 Feb 2009
cute
Rated 12 Feb 2009
FAIL!
Rated 14 Feb 2009
good but not necessarily my kind of movie
Rated 29 Mar 2011
I wonder if Reese is into playing with non-traditional sex toys...cause I'd totally bang her... 'with her spoon'. harharhar I love bad puns.
Rated 20 Jan 2015
Entertainment: 4.5/5. Spirit: 1/3. Sustainability: 0.5/3
Rated 20 Mar 2011
this was much more fun than what i expected it to be.
Rated 18 Apr 2009
Having lawyer parents elevated the score of this film but in the end it's just one cliche after another. Obvious jokes abound like warning signs on a construction site.
Rated 18 May 2009
Can't stand this movie.
Rated 10 Jun 2009
This franchise is just..................uh..............ow, shit, I think I just injured myself trying to think of a more clever way to say "so stupid that I may have actually suffered brain damage just from a few seconds of viewing." Actually, I sort of like that. Yeah, I'm gonna' go with that.
Rated 12 Feb 2024
I am convinced if you watch any movie at the right time in your life, you will really like it. So was the case with Legally Blonde. Even though it's a popcorn movie and not my type of movie at all, it is empowering for the youth, especially women. I watched it at the right time with the right company and it was fun. Only watch with friends and when bored.