Lemony Snicket's A Series of Unfortunate Events
Three wealthy children's parents are killed in a fire. When they are sent to a distant relative, they find out that he is plotting to kill them and seize their fortune. (imdb)

Lemony Snicket's A Series of Unfortunate Events

2004
Family/Kids

Rated 26 Feb 2019
Nice to look at, but otherwise flat and lifeless. Material like this needs a wicked energy to keep it engaging, but this movie simply lacks it. The more recent Netflix series has rendered this movie even more irrelevant.
Rated 14 Mar 2008
The production values are outstanding, but the script doesn't deserve them. The fact that it's several books condensed into one make it feel too episodic for its own good, as Carrey shows up in every episode with a different "character" with which to mug for the camera. Outside of set design, he's the best thing the movie has going for it. The plot is clumsy and awkward (the climax is creepy and weird more than anything), and the story raises more questions than it answers. Disappointing effort.
Rated 20 Feb 2007
The cast is great, the sets are too, the music is on point, the brief cameos are a delight. Still, there's something off about it.
This movie has style and a very tongue-in-cheek demeanor. It passes itself off as a children's story even when the subject matter is quite dark. Final word: I dig it.
Rated 01 Feb 2010
I liked the burtonesque visuals and Carrey's performance, but the script falls a bit flat towards the end and the baby is quite irritating.
Rated 18 Nov 2019
Jim Carrey should have been the best choice imaginable. Yet he just doesn't fit the bill perhaps that's because the script rushed things, blends things together and never quite captures the magic of the novels. What could have been simply just didn't happen. A less than impressive adaptation and less than thrilling performances from most of the cast. Unfortunately it is a throw away film from such a beloved franchise during my youth.
Rated 22 Apr 2020
The best scene is the letter-reading and the epilogue that follows ("what might seem to be a series of unfortunate events may, in fact, be the first steps of a journey") but the emotional release is not what it could've been thanks to a slapdash (a word which here means way too fucking rushed) script that never sits with any of the suffering, and it's unfortunately never sharp or coherent enough to work as a quick and quirky dark comedy either. Some performances and CGI are a tad iffy yet too.
Things feel kind of jumbled and thrown together, but the overall style of the film and great performances make up for it. It's a fun and unique experience though it's definitely flawed.
Rated 12 May 2007
Jim Carrey did that "too much" thing that he seems to do too much and the story seemed to jump around a bit more than I would have liked. The look and the style of the movie was great and it would have been nice to explore some of that in more detail. Maybe they should have focused on one book instead of three. Or even two.
Rated 21 Jun 2012
Lemony Snicket's A Series of Unfortunate Events is a fun film that needed a tighter focus in order to be great. Despite that, the cast is enjoyable, it's wicked funny, there's enough manic action to keep your heart rate up, and the set design and costuming are both gorgeous. To top it all off, there are more than a few big name cameos to keep an eye out for. This is a film that's really enjoyable and is fun for people of all ages.
Man this movies creepy
Rated 14 Jan 2012
The most unfortunate thing about this movie is Jim Carrey's hammy acting. The movie, in all honesty, isn't awful. It manages to combine three novels pretty well. But Jim Carrey is essentially playing a very costumed version of Ace Ventura...like he always plays. It's painful. He's looks the part of Olaf, but by no means is Olaf.
Rated 29 Sep 2008
I really enjoyed the entire adult cast, especially Jim Carrey, as this is certainly one of his better roles, and Billy Connolly, but I wasn't particularly impressed with any of the children. The stylistic sets and cinematography perfectly set the tone for the movie but the film ends up being a kids movie with a forced plot. Whether this is in the book or not I can't say but it's in the movie and certainly takes a lot from what would otherwise be an excellent family movie.
Rated 08 Jul 2009
Worth seeing for the style alone. The storytelling could have been better and more engaging.
I'm not sure why this was advertised as a kids movie, because I think this would scare the crap out of my kids (if I had any). I enjoyed it though, with it's twisted characters and dark setting. I'd probably put this on par with Harry Potter, which is to say "a decent teen movie that adults could sit through".
Could have been very good, but as it fits 3 books into 1 film, it feels incredibly rushed.
Rated 13 Dec 2006
Jim Carrey is astounding.
Rated 22 Sep 2013
A charming and entertaining black comedy fantasy film, though not entirely memorable. Jim Carrey does a good job here.
Rated 31 Jul 2010
Does not - and possibly cannot - survive the jump from page to screen.
Rated 08 Jan 2018
Jim Carrey is beyond entertaining throughout the film. Not to mention Billy Connolly and Meryl Streep giving weight to their scenes. However it falls into an unfortunate episodic style. Despite all the great cast and masterful production design, the structure is uneven and noticeably not suited for film adaptation.
Rated 05 Dec 2008
good movie
Rated 21 Feb 2007
Great film, hilarious.
Rated 07 Mar 2007
Underrated. Incredibly dark, but very worthwhile.
Rated 24 Mar 2007
A showcase for Jim Carrey in a darkly weird family adventure.
Rated 16 Oct 2013
probably better than you thought it would be
Rated 20 Jul 2010
The books are better but the movie did catch on to the books uniqueness.
Rated 06 Jun 2009
really good, i just wish they stayed true to the books, instead of combining them the way they did.
Rated 16 May 2007
Disappointing
Rated 31 May 2007
fun for the family, but a tiresome finish
Rated 05 Jun 2007
Based on the wickedly funny book series, this film had a lot to live up to, and it succeeded sufficiently. The casting is brilliant, and the humor is straight from the pages of the book. It's semi-dark, but still rather appropriate for people of all ages. Really good!
Rated 11 Jun 2007
It was cute!
Rated 03 Aug 2012
Yes, i am a sucker for anything with a bit of timeless steampunk in it! Also, Jim Carey playing the villain is priceless. The plot-stories are relly juicy and enticing, even though i heard the book is a bit better. Really really enjoyable overall.
Rated 23 Jun 2010
A masterpiece.
Rated 05 Jun 2009
I think the Lemony Snicket series actually warrants the attention monopolized by Harry Potter. This adaptation was superb, and I'd love to see more of the books made into films.
Rated 02 Dec 2008
[SUPPORTED THEATRICALLY]
Could have been a lot worse. Loved the books, so it was an easy sell.
to easy to guess
Not too bad for a kid's movie.
Rated 05 Jul 2012
I wish they would have only used the first book when making this film. Jim Carrey plays well Jim Carrey, The two old kids did a great job and most of the others overacted quite a bit.
Rated 30 Nov 2015
C-
Rated 19 Apr 2009
Very underrated dark comedy that flew under the radar when it was released. Jim Carey is perfect for the role.
Rated 26 Dec 2008
Carey is pretty good in this, but the movie itself fails in several areas. I just couldn't get into it, Brad Silberling does not capture the charm of the book at all.
An oddball Jim Carrey vehicle about a ruthless relation out to steal the inheritance from three orphans. Quite good.
Carey is great, and the kids are quite good too. Great Mis en Scene, and apparently does a good job of bringing the books to life.
I haven't read the books, so I can't compare it, but it's a good film.
Never read the books, loved the characters in the movie...and again...pretty to watch...lots of good stuff in the film...
Rated 05 Jul 2012
Didn't do a lot for me. I thought it was ok and kind of funny but I have no desire to watch it again.
Rated 27 Sep 2010
Nice mood in the film; I really liked the look of it. The overall feeling of the story was, that it was a bit too "episodic". A relative who might have worked for the kids' needs, is sadly killed of, but here's another one etc. The ending was also very unfulfilling. I don't know if they were planning to film several of the books, but that ending didn't work for me. Loved Uncle Monty who had a python.
Rated 15 Jul 2009
Almost too whimsical, but the central kids do a remarkable job.
A decent little movie
This is one of those movies worth seeing for its look, and the amazing effects, and the sets and costumes and bit parts like Meryl Streep. Didn't like Carrey's villain.
Carrey once again steals the show as the dastardly Uncle after his relations money. Adapted from the popular books this is a dark faerytale for all
Better than I expected -- the black comedy has a nice tone, and the kids are appealing. Jim Carrey is always scary so he makes a perfect villain. Not particularly emotionally satisfying, but nicely gothic.
Rated 21 Dec 2009
Rushed, uneven and hammy. Didn't really like it.
Rated 07 Oct 2010
Jim Carrey is succeeded in creating a new bad character and the younger actors were so-so .
Rated 18 Mar 2011
i mean, what kind of a children's story is this?! acting was good though.
Poor adaptation
As a childhood fantasy is remarkably uninspiring, and wastes a lot of great talent in thankless roles, but the kids are charming and seem like real kids, which is what is what counts.
Stupid movie
This "children's" movie delivers much more than I expected. Different, witty, and captivating, A Series of Unfortunate Events will make you laugh and cringe. Again, Carey does a wonderful job, taking on many personas and stealing the show.
Rated 13 Dec 2013
Such a massive disappointment. As a big fan of the books I was so super stoked for this movie when it came out....only to have Jim Carrey butcher the role of Count Olaf. Such a waste :(
Rated 08 Dec 2009
2/5
Rated 24 Mar 2018
Great soundtrack and great acting.
I liked the sarcastic opening and the beautifully animated end credits, but this movie's really terrible. It's convoluted, depressing, strays from the book sources needlessly, and managed to waste Jim Carrey when he was doing his old mugging for the camera schtick.
It was very burton esque. Good .. pretty long and wish it was geared more towards adults.
Great sets, not a great script or acting from Carrey. He gets as many laughs as he does groans from being over the top.
Sub-Burton trifle with hokey sets and a manic turn by Jim Carrey, who cannibalizes the action. Also, Luis Guzman has less lines than the AFLAC duck.
Rated 27 Jan 2012
I remember being bored even as a kid. I don't particularly feel the need to give it another watch.
Rated 25 Jan 2009
Entertaining with a remarkable performance of Jim Carrey.
Rated 21 Oct 2008
Fantastic shooting and decor! Weird (surrealistic) but good story. Enjoy!
null
An excellent children's film that is watchable by adults. Jim Carrey can tend to wear thin, but there was more than enough excellence from the supporting cast to counterbalance his antics.
Dull, probably wasted on non-ardent fans of the books. Just slow and tedious in parts
Rated 12 Feb 2024
This is not Jim Carrey movie, it's Brad Silberling movie. The director put all the puzzle pieces together with great result. Movie is visually and audibly really enjoyable. The script is a bit disappointing as the ending feels rushed.
Rated 05 Dec 2009
The visual style of this film is fantastic. The closing credits is a highlight. Jim Carrey gives a great performance in this film.
Rated 23 Jan 2009
Ok, good effects, but dont' recall it all that well.
Rated 15 Oct 2008
Weird.
Rated 24 Aug 2007
Sadly forgettable - the book was far, far superior.
Rated 12 Sep 2007
This was a great movie with some excellent acting jobs. Enjoyable for all ages.
Rated 17 Sep 2007
uneven, messy, dull
Rated 12 Sep 2022
Traumatizing kids since 2004
Rated 23 Dec 2011
The book series is a genuinely intelligent series that delves into depths that most others don't - this movie is pretty shallow, and Jim Carrey isn't scary at all.
Rated 20 Sep 2010
Excellent cast and jobs well done by all. Good production slightly let down by a rushed feel to the script.
Rated 22 Jan 2009
This was an interesting film to look at. Loved the credit sequence at the end, and the sets had a bit of Tim Burton-lite kind of look to them. Outside of the always reliable Timothy Spall, I most appreciated the lead actress (Violet) among the cast--her face was interesting to look at every time she was on screen. However, the movie seemed to lack the life and verve to carry off the depressing series of events that confront these children. That puts a dent in what could have been a great movie.
Rated 20 Oct 2007
my son loved this movie! it was fun and quirky and kind of dark...
Rated 11 Nov 2007
Jim Carrey is a phenominal actor, i'm glad he's done with all the slapstick stuff he used to do
Rated 16 Nov 2007
if you hate the books, you'll hate this movie.
Rated 25 Jul 2022
Seen: 2. Cool production, but this is Jim Carrey's show, and he has hits and misses.
Rated 08 Aug 2015
fuck you
Rated 31 Jan 2017
This is a quirky fantasy film with a lot of personality and a solid performance by Jim Carrey in his recognizable humourus style. While the film does suffer a bit from a rushed pace, which is the bane of most films based on a book, it is a fun ride through a well-build steampunk world. I find this film a very pleasant experience and would recommend it to anyone who enjoys a bit of peculiar fantasy.
Rated 07 Mar 2008
Kids were excellent. Carrey was abysmal. The story did not follow the book well and consequently made little sense.
Rated 11 Apr 2008
Rich and beautiful effects and sets. Jim Carrey is as Jim Carrey used to be. If you like him you do, but I never did. He's just a bad copy of Jerry Lewis. Story is full of adventures, but does not improve much. Most of the cast is much of nothing, except the lead role girl, Emily Browning. She's got good face and she's interesting as actress.
Rated 08 May 2011
There are two words to explain the flaws of this movie, and they rhyme with "limb" and "berry". Everything else is lovely, from the fantastic production design to the wonderful score. But the role of Count Olaf was absolutely crucial to making it work, and Carrey struck exactly the wrong tone.
Rated 19 Jul 2009
Great movie. Jim Carrey can really show his talent here.
Rated 23 Aug 2015
Not bad but not great!
Rated 19 Jul 2009
Wow. Was so much better than i expected. Was used to Jim Curry's faces, but this movie got so much more, from the cool plot, the amazing images, and the characters. Cannot believe this was not a huge hit!
Rated 20 Jul 2008
The only chance you have of liking this movie is in ignorance of the books
Rated 28 Jul 2008
Pretty Good movie, with pretty funny and sometimes freaky performances by Carrey.
Rated 03 Aug 2008
didn't keep my attention
Rated 17 Apr 2020
LittlestElfjuke+beatJCtrynakillthem+snakeguyadopts+JCdisguise/killshim+meryllol+anotherdisguise-sheleavescypher/hides+findher-shesayshedidrentsdeathetc+killsher+trynamarrygirlinplaytogetinheritance+boyseeshowhemagnifyingglassburnedtheirrentshouseetc-burnsmarriagecertificate+hastosuffereveryhardshipheputthemthrough-juryoverturned-hedisappeared+letterfromrents