Liar-Liar

Ratings and reviews:

Liar Liar

1997
Comedy, Fantasy
One of the better '90s Jim Carrey comedies, which is to say, it's OK.
A lawyer who has to tell the truth? Oh, what a truly fantastic premise. And the lawyer is played by Jim Carrey? It's like manna from heaven is raining down into my TV set. How could this be anything short of a masterpiece?
Kid probably should've wished for a haircut , Carrey would've still been zany enough to carry it.
This would probably be a terrible movie sans Jim Carrey, but thanks to him and his overenthusiastic, slapstick antics, I actually enjoyed this. His parts are overdone to perfection.
Carrey is not my favourite comic actor but here he was excellent in this movie. I compare him with Jerry Lewis who had the same crazy face-expressions. Not bad at all and really funny at times.
Sandwiched by some cloying sentiment, and hampered by far too many supporting characters, this vehicle for Carrey takes off into the stratosphere when it just sits back and lets him do his thing; judged purely as a showcase for his at times terrifyingly intense physical comedy routine, it comes up spades, providing solid and savage laughs for its entire second act. Perhaps the only film where an airplane runway chase feels like a natural comic topper!
His kid seriously needs a haircut.
Enjoyable comedy if you like Jim Carrey. Nothing amazing but it's got som good laughs.
I saw this with a guy who was on magic mushrooms, so it's probably not actually as funny as I remember it being.
Jim Carrey works very hard, relentlessly mugging for the camera. This kind of humor holds very little appeal for me, and the schmaltz is laid on very thick. And yet, it could have been worse.
Honestly, parts of this movie were some of the most brilliant comedy I've ever seen. The other parts were the usual Jim Carrey business and an annoying child actor. If he'd stuck to "THE COLOR OF THE PEN I HOLD IN MY HAND IS RRRRRRRRRRRRRROYAL BLUUUUUUE!!!" when forced to tell the truth instead of braying like a donkey at the defendant when he obviously wasn't being pushed by his son's wish, this would've been the king of comedies. As it is, pretty good. And that's a shame.
This is the best of the non-dramatic films (read:goofy) made so far by rubberfaced comedian Jim Carrey. In all his overtly silly films, this was the most real character. I related to him. Great supporting cast too. And director Tom Shadyac really knows how to bring out the best in Carrey.
Jim Carrey doing his fast-talking, wacky, over the top Jim Carrey routine. And he does it well. "I mean your boobs are huge. I mean, I wanna squeeze 'em! ...Mama!"
I've got a softspot for Jim Carrey (not so much these days, but that's neither here nor there). This is just a good light-hearted comedy.
Blatantly ridiculous that we should in any way be rooting for Carrey's character but we still do because it's funny and silly.
The cheese is smeared on thicker than a Wisconsin bagel and Jim Carrey hams it up like........a really good analogy about ham. But I've seen it a million times and I laugh all the way through it every time. Hey, if it works, it works.
Interesting premise, some funny scenes, gets a little too sadistic at times. The best part is when Carrey's kid asked him if his face would get stuck making faces and Carrey said, "No. In fact, some people make a good living that way."
Wacky faces.
VERY funny movie. Carrey is brilliant, gives some of the best one-liners in recent memory. And, of course, nothing can stop, the CLAAAAAAAAAAAAAAW!
Combining laugh-out-loud humor with heart, this comedy provides the perfect showcase for the talents of star Carrey. It's reminiscent of the best work done by Steve Martin. Carrey's rubber-man gyrations are what make the film move, but it's the on-target screenplay that holds it all together.
I still love 'stop breaking the law, asshole!'
"Short, wrinkled and always to the left". Truth hurts doesn't it ;-) Carrey really puts his rubber face to work in this one.
One of the better Carrey films to come out of the 90's, with him representing a fairly charming and likable lead and resulting in a good number of laughs.
Carrey is solid in this silly movie. Quite a few quotables and memorable scenes.
THERE! I FINALLY WATCHED IT SO GO FUCK YOURSELF, GRANT!