0 rankings

Live by Night ()

Your Rating

Summary: A story set in the Prohibition Era and centered around a group of individuals and their dealings in the world of organized crime. (imdb)

Additional Information & Actions

More information at IMDb

Invalid Trailer
If you'd like, provide a new one!

RatingsRatings
FindFind
CollectionsCollections
StatsStats
loading Loading Products from Ebay
Live by Night belongs to 2 collections
1. Director/star combination (public: moderated by djross - 4 stars)
2. 89th Academy Reminder List (2016) (public: moderated by cowfrappe - 1 star)

Browse the full list of collections
Show:
All Rankings | With Reviews
Order by:
TCI | Tier | Date Ranked | # Stars (Reviews)
Date User Score
Jan 22 Darren Darren
65T5
I like Affleck as an actor I'm just not 100% on board with his directing. There is some beautiful visual work in parts tho. Well worn territory but it had a bit of a spin to it. Much better than that dreck Lawless from a couple years back.
Jan 19 SickForay SickForay
55T4
Jan 18 Seethruskin Seethruskin
4T6
Ended up kind of enjoying this after the eyerollin inducing trailer. There's some beautiful visual moments in here that makes it clear Affleck knows what he's doing, but he needs to not tread such well worn areas.
Jan 18 WarrenWho WarrenWho
Jan 18 mcukmf
85T8
Jan 18 eats_almonds eats-almonds
2T2
Not really about anything. Easy to watch, but why even make this movie?
Jan 16 sid sid
30T2
Jan 15 pinq09
50T5
Jan 15 Stewball Stewball
70T6
Interesting story and good action but ultimately not very engaging.
Jan 14 mg7film mg7film
50T6
Jan 14 Dardy
70T2
Jan 14 CarsonWid
72T7
Well made but not much that separates it from other movies in the genre
Jan 14 VzVjgb
Jan 14 PJH PJH
71T5
Jan 13 Obdurate Obdurate
75T5
When I thought about it a little I realized it's probably the worst movie of Affleck's directing career, but I still liked it a fair bit! It was a little overstuffed, felt a little long since it dragged occasionally, the last 10-15 minutes were rushed and over-the-top, like he just needed to put more in it, but as a whole it explores familiar territory with some flair and intelligence.
Jan 13 MentalCritic MentalCritic
78T9
Jan 13 Jonrock411
8T7
Jan 13 Matthew_Parkinson Matthew Parkinson (The Escapist)
70T8
Live By Night is a good movie that struggles to live up to its potential thanks to a cut-down version of what we can only suspect was, at one point, at least 30 minutes longer. That doesn't make it bad, but instead of feeling like a fully realized portrait of this man's life, it feels instead like a greatest hits compilation. Every scene is good but the film as a whole doesn't add up to what it should. Still, I'm calling it another win in the directorial career of Ben Affleck. [Full Review]
Jan 03 ptravers2
6T6
Ben Affleck's tribute to old-school Warner brothers gangster pictures may lack the white heat of the Cagney-Bogart era, but Live By Night still gets in its stylish licks.
Dec 30, 2016 filmcricket