Lovely-and-Amazing
Lovely & Amazing

Ratings and reviews:

Lovely & Amazing

2001
A surpringly fulfilling family dramedy with good performances allround, particularly from the little girl.
Strong performances and writing highlight an otherwise run-of-the-mill family dramedy about a single mother, her three daughters, and their relationship with each other. Jake Gyllenhaal's character seemed like a carbon copy of the one from The Good Girl.
Nicole Holofcener's best film by a mile. Almost felt like an American Mike Leigh comedy/drama but that could just be the presence of Brenda Blethyn putting that in mind. Either way, Holofcener's films have never been quite there for me until I saw this one.
I wanted me some Cat Keener. Won't happen in Holofcener flicks. While Keener is as solid as ever, this fluffy modern life movie is thin as air.
good drama
Full of the kind of recurring beat-beat-PAYOFF! character tics that read great to certain writers while they're writing and probably all actors while they're reading but almost always die on screen unless sufficiently finessed, layered into already interesting scenes that do not require them. This screenplay seems predicated on such beats passing for insight and enough passing for a story (hard to begrudge her, they so often do). Goodwin is phenomenal and Mortimer's big scene is pretty good.
I thought the Keener-Gyllenhaal relationship was a little improbable, but Keener, Mortimer and Blethyn are fine, and Holofcener knows what dialogue to write for them and how to get them to deliver subtle, nuanced performances.
A nice little bittersweet slice of life indie, with good performances and realistic character arcs.
Emily Mortimer is beautiful and very cute. Catherine Keener was also good. Brenda Blethyn played the mother. All of the acting in good. The story focuses on the different problems of the people in this story, exposing their flaws and weaknesses. They felt like real people with real problems.
Smart, well-observed, well-acted, low-key slice of life dramedy.