Mad Max Beyond Thunderdome

1985
Sci-fi
Action

Rated 21 Oct 2007
I feel that this is really two different movies in one. The first is Mad Max 3: Thunderdome, which is awesome. The thunderdome fight is downright stellar and it's no surprise how much it's influenced many movie fights since. Now the second movie is Mad Max 3: Peter Pan which is barely passable as a film in my opinion. Some of the fight gags are funny but for the most part it's just not Mad Max. Shame really, it started out great.
Rated 17 Oct 2019
"I'll drive that tanker," turns into "I'll raise these children." Forgetting the Lord of the Flies meets Adventures in Babysitting last half, Bartertown is a fun environment that makes me want to play the original Fallout on PC like some kind of dinosaur.
Rated 17 Jun 2013
Mel Gibson and Tina Turner are duking it out for who has the bigger hair and then some WEIRD PETER PAN STUFF HAPPENS>
Rated 15 May 2015
Amount of movie franchises improved by adding a bunch of adorable children: Zero and counting.
Rated 05 Jun 2015
I liked this, didn't love it, when it first came out, and found I liked it for different reasons when I rewatched it recently. I think I enjoyed the parts with the kids when I was young, with the Lord of the Flies-esque themes. I didn't care for them more recently, preferring Max's shenanigans in Bartertown and the climactic action. It is peppered with memorable characters and scenes, and is directed well, but doesn't entirely work as a whole. And Max is nowhere near mad enough...
Rated 21 May 2015
Oh, jeez. To echo the sentiments of many, the first 45 minutes were pretty awesome, and then the whole thing just fell off a cliff. The characterization gets completely arbitrary, the tone shifts to an almost kiddie vibe, and Tina Turner (who's honestly fantastic) completely disappears. I'd watch the first act again, but unfortunately the rest of the movie is incredibly boring (despite picking up a LITTLE bit at the end with the car/plane chase). Not worth the price of admission.
Rated 18 May 2015
Non-controversial Opinion Alert! The first half, set in the sleazy, Jabba's Palace-like Bartertown is easily the best thing about this movie, to make no mention of The Thunderdome, and the action pieces set within, itself. I'm not telling you anything you didn't already know. The punk rock Peter Pan second act can't help but be a letdown, even if you know what Miller is going for. The climactic chase is a fun but inferior take on the RW finale. Still, it's Max and Miller, so worth a watch.
Rated 15 Jan 2010
Undoubtedly the weakest film in the series, Beyond Thunderdome starts off well but falls off pretty quickly by the time the tribes of children show up. One feral kid is fine, but a couple dozen wear out their welcome a hell of a lot quicker than Max did in Barter Town.
Rated 27 May 2015
(2015 Mad Maxathon #3:) I actually really like most of the first half or so of the film, and the titular Thunderdome fight is a unique blast of weaponry and flying around on bungee cords; total goofball fun. When Max runs into the tribe of kids the film suffers, though. It actually feels almost exactly like when they meet the Ewok tribe in Return of the Jedi, but without being balanced out by cool Death Star/Emperor Palpatine stuff.
Rated 22 May 2015
The Thunderdome fight is alright, but the rest - apart from an okay middle section - is almost as bad as Tina Turner's hair. Almost.
Tina Turner sucks and all the stuff with those kids who had their own little society was terrible, but this flick also has Master Blaster so it's hard to condemn it completely.
Rated 07 Jun 2015
Credit Miller 4 carving a new post-apocalyptic nightmare 4 Max 2 stumble through w/ an inspired take on gladiatorial arenas & a counterpoint Lord of the Flies-style community of children. Unfortunately the script never ties these together in a satisfying way. Wanting 2 maintain a certain innocence 4 the children when they face off with Bartertown results in diminished, Goonies-like, action sequences. The final chase is impressive but it feels shoehorned in just 2 meet audience expectations.
Rated 10 Jan 2010
Needed more shirtless sax guy from the music video. Also see: Lost Boys.
Rated 12 Oct 2010
What happened?! This movie seemed like it would have been awesome if they had just kept to the gladiatorial Thunderdome. Once I laid eyes on the Lost Boys, I completely lost interest.
Rated 20 Mar 2007
The presumably higher budget allows it to delve further into Max's world than the previous film, but it's not as exciting, and the bonus bucks just meant they didn't have to be inventive anymore. It was good for a regular movie, but it lacks eau de max. Imagine if Jarmusch's Down by Law had enough money to build a track for their dolly instead of using an old hatchback, a piece of plywood and the patient but eager legs and backs of production assistants. Would it be Down by Law anymore?
I hate this. The original idea of society dying not with a bang but a whimper is gone. It's good to see 80's big hair never goes out of style, even after the bomb
I enjoyed this thoroughly and I love the little Riddley Walker references. It's probably heresy to like this more than The Road Warrior but I do.
Rated 30 Mar 2016
The first part is quite good, especially the fight in Thunderdome, and so is the final chase. The rest of it is rather plodding and only mildly interesting. It certainly does miss the sparkle of the first two films. Aesthetically, "Beyond Thunderdome" is faithful to the Mad Max universe, but the comparatively small amount of action and the weak, kid-infused script are worlds away from the violent, laconic original films. This film is sure to alienate the die-hard fans yet is far from a disaster.
Rated 15 Jun 2015
Two potentially great movies that crashed painfully together to become one okay one.
Rated 19 Sep 2007
Loved the cargo cult kids and Blaster Master (Master Blaster?). Otherwise, the series ends on a serious down-note.
Rated 17 Jan 2020
As with BABE, this feels like a delirious middle finger from Miller to those who want "more of the same" from a sequel, striking out in a bizarre, Gilliam-esque direction for the wonderful Bartertown sequences and turning Max's desolate wasteland into a genuine mythological place in the second half. Just as wild a ride in its way as 1 & 2, starting with the casting - while Gibson is deliberately more flat and passive than usual, Turner, Anderson and a brilliant Thring are terrific grotesques.
Rated 09 Jan 2008
Any momentum that was built with The Road Warrior was completely destroyed with this movie. Avoid.
Rated 03 May 2018
Mad Max takes a sharp turn in this oddball of a sequel that is much better than people give it credit for. I heavily enjoyed its over the top weirdness and enjoyed that Max was given more of an arc and a goal in this film other than just protecting his stuff.
Rated 17 May 2008
mad max, tina turner, master blaster, i am fucking in.
Rated 21 Jun 2008
What a let down.
Rated 17 May 2015
My feelings towards this movie are strange because it ended up being completely different than what I was expecting. It's better than the original but falls short of The Road Warrior. It's also lighter in tone so don't expect lots of violence. The setting and the visuals are once again done very well. The chase at the end is entertaining. Tina Turner's soundtrack doesn't suit the movie. Worth a rental. 3.5 STARS
Rated 15 Feb 2016
Broadens the story and builds some interesting settings but ends up feeling disjointed and somewhat worn. The action is still top tier especially in the final chase although the whole thing seems to have lost some of the edge that gave previous instalments their grim fun. It's very watchable but lacks the harsh ethos it needs to be anything special. Too many cute kids fooling around and too few dog executions.
Rated 28 Jan 2009
It is appropriate that this film was directed by two people. It stayed true to that formula. As mentioned, it seemed like two separate films in one. The sentiments of redemption were indeed appropriate, as this was the final film of the trilogy. It was just poorly executed. Very silly acting for the occasion. Gibson's character achieves this redemption through a selfless act. However, the directors' vision, shockingly void of any structure, seemed selfish in it's assumption of a worthy capper.
Rated 19 Aug 2009
This is the VHS that cost $5 at Wal Mart before they started selling DVD players.
Rated 21 Sep 2016
It's a competently made film, maybe even good in parts, like some of the action scenes, but after the Thunderdome the rest felt so incredibly tedious. The setting just doesn't do it for me, and I can't stand the way the children talk.
Rated 15 May 2015
"Beyond Thunderdome" is light on the vehicular carnage that fans of the series come for, and it departs from the unorthodox atmosphere of its predecessors to conform to a more Hollywood feel, but the show continues to build the world with imaginative action and design.
Rated 27 Jan 2010
Mad Max Beyond Boring. No coherent plot, dumb costumes, brutal acting, crappy action, overlong scenes where nothing actually happens. I was actually counting down the minutes for this movie to be over.
Rated 22 Feb 2010
Panned for all the wrong reasons but it has been very influential. This has spawned endless homages in post apocalypse games and films..even more so than Road Warrior. Tina Turner's presence is laughably camp but strangely fitting. The costumes and action is remarkably good and has held up to today's standards because of all the live stunt work. It doesn't quite rival road warrior in action but all in all it's very good and the camera work top notch. Oh and Master Blaster rule barter town.
Rated 26 Apr 2010
Dumbed down and boring. No need to see this one unless you really like Tina Turner for some reason.
Rated 20 Apr 2011
Feels like two films. First you get a movie with Mad Max in Bartertown fighting it out in Thunderdome, then you get another with him rescuing a bunch of kids. It's not just that there is a separation of plot, but the tone shifts pretty abruptly at the same time.
Rated 02 Jun 2012
Thunderdome has more of an adventure bent and a light, comedic tone, than the prior Mad Maxes, and hence seems to converge with that period's Spielberg/Lucas style of filmmaking. It's not that Mel Gibson had much of a personality in the first film, but by now he's a stock action hero. Tina Turner doesn't make for much of a villain. It's still an invested and entertaining movie, but the edginess is gone.
Rated 07 Jul 2012
An astoundingly imaginative postapocalyptic adventure which creates a fantastic but absorbing world with its own rules and language. The downside to all this is the story doesn't move as gracefully as Road Warrior's, and doesn't manage quite as much tension, but it's a superb capstone to the trilogy.
Rated 24 Sep 2012
Wasn't it adorable when that clan of children referred to it as an "apopyclypse."
That's just silly.
Rated 13 Apr 2013
Two may watch. One may stay awake.
Rated 20 Jul 2013
I watched this movie in bed when I was 13 with a fever of 103. I'm not sure if that helped or hurt it.
Rated 29 Nov 2013
I liked it. It's a B movie classic, so you can piss orf
Rated 10 Aug 2014
Beyond Thunderdome is the third and my least favourite film in the Mad Max trilogy. The scale of this franchise has drastically grown throughout each installment. And personally I think that George Miller's imagination and ideas in this film have somewhat lost sight of the original Mad Max. There are moments of enjoyment and the Thunderdome fight scenes are the highlights. But otherwise this is disappointing and the vehicle scenes in particular are inferior to what 'The Road Warrior' achieved.
Rated 18 Sep 2018
This film badly misses Miller's sure-handed direction. There is some good work here and some great action but it never comes together as it is split down in the middle, literally in terms of the plot. Also, can we just stop putting children in action movies?
Rated 02 Jan 2007
Brazilian feelings #2. Embora Miller tenha o dom de lidar com personagens arquetípicos e ele mostra isso aqui muito bem, é de longe o pior momento da quadrilogia. Manja o pavor do Max quando vê as crianças pela primeira vez? É isso que a gente sente. Rá! Box Warner Coleção MAD MAX.
Rated 16 Jan 2007
best mad max
Rated 21 Jan 2007
No doubt Miller is an original cyberpunk artist and apocalyptic world builder, but his tribes lack charisma and beauty, and his Mad Max films are, for better or worse, nothing but restless energy.
Rated 11 Feb 2007
Disappointing sequel.
Rated 04 Jun 2016
Featuring a dull story with unlikable characters, Mad Max Beyond Thunderdome still succeeds thanks to the unrelenting action.
Rated 28 Jul 2015
Viewed July 27, 2015. The middle section is a bunch of nonsense, but the Thunderdome sequence and the chase on the train track that closes the film are brilliant. Like, it's maybe my favorite of the original Mad Max movies. That's how strong those two scenes are.
Rated 13 Jun 2007
what a bizarre movie. christ
Rated 12 Jul 2007
Real cheesy.
Rated 07 Aug 2007
My least favorite of the Mad Max trilogy, but it is still a great film.
Ugh. I liked the first two movies, but this one was God awful... WEEEEEEEE DON'T NEED ANOTHER HEEEEEEEEEEEEEERO!
Rated 22 Jul 2016
This is my favourite Mad Max film (before Fury Road). I can't believe it since I heard this was bad, but to me it wasn't. Sure that children storyline is kinda weird, but if you look in to it, it's kinda fascinating. Not much action in this one, but it was still fun from the story perspective. I kinda see why fans of Mad Max would hate it, as the vehicle action kinda isn't there, but it's still set in such an interesting world, I just really like it. Oh, and the soundtrack? Absolutely great!
Rated 04 Mar 2021
Perhaps the most uneven of the series, it's still really, really good, and one of the best for exploring the Wasteland of the Real and the series's search for redemption. Cargo cults are fascinating.
there he is, before he went crazy in a god awful movie!
Cool.
We don't need another hero!
Rated 16 May 2020
Master Blaster is my JAAAAAAM!
Rated 19 Oct 2007
A little long and unfocused... but a guilty pleasure.
Rated 16 Nov 2007
pretty dang dumb.
Rated 22 Feb 2008
Weakest of the 3.
Rated 12 May 2008
eng
Rated 15 May 2008
One man enters, two men leave!
Rated 13 Mar 2016
It's a little hard to get past some of the 80s cheese (Oh hey Tina Turner), especially in the odd first half in Bartertown-an outpost filled with pigs, weird chanted laws ("Break a deal, you get the wheel!"), and the underwhelming Thunderdome-but once Max gets back out in the desert and has his hideous locks chopped off, things get a bit better, as he leads a group of wilderness children to rescue some slaves from the aforementioned town, which culminates in another exciting car chase.
Rated 07 Jun 2015
A lot more bullshit compared to the first two films.
Rated 21 Sep 2008
Boring film.
Rated 02 Nov 2008
Why god, why?
Rated 15 Nov 2008
This Tina Turner song make me puke. But Mad Max is a piece of good post apocalyptic movie.
Rated 22 Nov 2008
This movie greatly confused me because it sort of felt like a children's adventure movie gone wrong. I would've appreciated if the changes in tone throughout the movie would have made sense.
Rated 05 Jun 2015
I could have sworn this was influenced by Steven Spielberg's masterpiece "Hook", but apparently they conjured up the pointless magical children sequence all by themselves. Considering all the other stuff that's going on (or isn't), this movie is perfectly embodied by a retard wearing fancy armour.
Rated 17 May 2015
Worth it for the Thunderdome scene.
Rated 23 Jan 2009
I just couldn't get over the utter corniness of the the film. It reminded me of something Mystery Science Theater would mark up, like an Alfonso Corona film, actually Death Stalker in particular.
Rated 25 Jan 2009
Fan of mad Max movies!
Rated 13 Feb 2009
Definately not as good as the two Mad Max films before it, but still quite entertaining.
Rated 26 May 2020
Criticker guessed I would score this 70%, and it was really close. Mad Max 3 is probably the craziest of the Mel Gibson series, but it's a little all over the place for me, especially with how it started out - which was great...but then it transforms into something else entirely, where he's helping a group of lost children...and it's just kind of dumb. It's fine for what it was...I just didn't love it. Unbiased Score: 70% | Biased Score: 72% | Criticker Prediction: 70%
Rated 03 Jan 2016
It wasn't an ordeal to watch this movie per se, but even for 109 minutes; it felt like eternity (not in a good way). It had its moments, but the story was either too dragged or dull for one to care about it.
Rated 16 May 2015
x0
Rated 01 Jul 2009
Memory says: The worst of the three.
Rated 01 Aug 2009
Silly, but fun to watch. Well behind the other two Mad Max movies in terms of overall quality, but helped by a healthy dose of weirdness.
Rated 05 Aug 2009
As with most franchises, the third one often marks the turning point, the point where the whole thing 'bites it.' This movie is a perfect example.
Rated 19 Aug 2009
Wretched useless sequel
Rated 25 Aug 2015
Mad Max Beyond Thunderdome is a Golden Globe-nominated 1985 film, the third installment in the action movie Mad Max franchise, succeeding The Road Warrior. The film was directed by George Miller and George Ogilvie, and stars Mel Gibson and Tina Turner. The original music score was composed by Maurice Jarre. The movie provides additional back story to the original Mad Max and Mad Max 2, showing a nuclear war following the energy crisis referenced in the beginning of Mad Max 2.
Rated 22 May 2019
I actually enjoyed the movie quite a bit for its silly and 'out there' ideas. It's not quite as serious as "Mad Max" or even "The Road Warrior" but all in all it felt like the most definite of the three "classic" Mad Max movies.
Rated 25 Sep 2010
Takes a vastly different turn from the rest of the series, where humor is few and far between. It doesn't work particularly well but there is something slightly charming about the whole thing in an over the top 1980'a sort of way. Not SHIT! Energy...
Rated 25 Oct 2010
Any single act could've been a fine movie.
Rated 28 Mar 2011
This film personally offends me.
Rated 29 May 2024
A more suitable title would be 'Mad Max: Cargo Cult' or even better 'Mad Max: Cave of Forgotten Dreams'. Speaking of which, the clear high point of this almost mess of a film is Savannah Nix's archi-cinematic (re)telling of the Captain Walker story, complete with a proto-cinematic framing device (i.e., the rectangular wood structure on the end of a stick that points the audience's attention to particular tertiary retentions on the cave wall).
Rated 03 Jun 2024
#24#, rw2, popcorn, franchise-rewatch, oldies(2) }*{ 80s, popcorn!
Rated 21 May 2015
Extreme running with cars, chased by uncivilized people, running for life, water, petrol... Fun to watch
Rated 17 Mar 2012
Who run Barter Town?
Rated 22 May 2012
Rated 01 Jul 2012
Wow, what happened?
Rated 23 May 2015
The first section of the film in Bartertown is the highlight of the entire series (yes, including Fury Road!) but boy does it ever shit the bed afterward.
Rated 03 Apr 2013
I think I hated just about everything about this movie and I loved the previous movie. Its just really lame in the beginning and then it transforms somehow into a peter pan epic about kids wanting to fly or some shit, Idk, it was just bad, gibsons career should have ended after this movie bad. thats how bad.
Rated 17 Dec 2018
A terrible story. Max stumbles into barter town and makes a deal to kill a character in the Thunderdome. He has a whistle to make it trivial, yet he refuses to use it until he's nearly dead. After that it turns into Hook and he gets to punch a kid. Then back to barter town for pathetic reasons. Only 5-10mins of car chases and bad ones at that (handcar manages to catch a train). It tries for satire because Angry Anderson dies 4 times. Car design is about the only good thing.
Rated 02 Oct 2015
Probably a 50 for people who love Disney movies.
Rated 08 Aug 2014
Beyond Thunderdome is the weakest link of the series, yet it is still average and quite entertaining. It is truly campy and that adds to the entertainment value as we still see Gibson giving life to the Max character. The action is a little toned down from Road Warrior and the acting is no better, yet it is still quite entertaining.
Rated 30 Aug 2014
For a series not known for it's memorable villains, sticking Tina Turner in here could seem like an easy, if somehow demented fix. It's just that.. she's appalling and upstaged by an actual demented giant. In addition our hero is disempowered throughout, and painfully paired with a goonie-like gang of children, changing the series tone from dystopic to silly. Also known as the ewok syndrome.