Mais ne nous délivrez pas du mal
We weren't able to find any streaming offers for Mais ne nous délivrez pas du mal
Mais-ne-nous-delivrez-pas
Mais-ne-nous-delivrez-pas

Mais ne nous délivrez pas du mal

1971
Drama, Horror
Anne and Lore, neighbors and best friends, barely into their teens, board at a convent school where they have taken a vow to sin and to serve Satan... (imdb)

Based on the true story behind Peter Jackson's "Heavenly Creatures", this film made me very uncomfortable in a number of ways. If that was the intention of the makers, then mission accomplished, I guess. Which isn't to say it's bad. On the contrary, it is certainly effective, well made and the two central performances are compelling. It threatens to unravel in terms of credibility at points, and the ending, though impactful, could have been handled better. Filmmakers were weird in the 70s...
Stylistically and thematically, this is very much a product of its time and place. Many films about naughty or evil women or girls were being made in Europe at the time, possibly tapping into sentiments reactionary to the women's liberation movement. This isn't the most sophisticated of the lot, but aside from the slight animal cruelty, I quite like it.
A story about two beautiful young girls who take delight in defying the church and secretly doing evil deeds. They admire Satan, kill small birds and play with inappropriate sexual seduction which sets up bad situations that eventually leads to mayhem. The acting was uneven, and several scenes were quite unconvincing. It seemed to be building up to a something good but instead ended with a pathetic and underwhelming finale.
I've never heard a word about this movie from anyone other than the manga artist Shuzo Oshimi, but I think this one will stick with me for a long time. It seems on the surface like a "satanic panic" movie, but I think the representation of the characters is a lot more nuanced than "They worship Satan and that's bad." They're surrounded by a lot of awful (non-satanic) people, which I think makes their whole situation a lot more sympathetic and even tragic. It's deeply fascinating and disturbing.
Ah, the French countryside, two beautiful girls, and a small pact with Satan. 1970 really is the decade that keeps on giving. The ending did seem rushed though.

Director: Joël Séria