Max Payne
Max-Payne

Max Payne

2008
Drama, Suspense/Thriller
Coming together to solve a series of murders in New York City are a DEA agent (Wahlberg) whose family was slain as part of a conspiracy and an assassin (Kunis) out to avenge her sister's death. The duo will be hunted by the police, the mob, and a ruthless corporation.

Not only was every single character miscast (tv actors, rappers, singers, Nelly Furtado...what ?), but the acting was some of the worst I'd ever seen. Max Payne is one of my favorite games ever, and to see it butchered like that made me scream in agony. Just one film and I'm already awaiting a reboot (Thomas Jane would've been such a great Max Payne IMO). To John Moore: keep your hands off the Metal Gear Solid franchise !!!
I don't know where to start. Awful dialogs, possibly the worst casting that could happen for a movie called "Max Payne", a failed attempt to realize the Norse Mythologic references the game used and a pace that is painfully slow for a movie that based on a game which had "New York Minute". The only good thing that they managed to create was the cold and dark atmosphere.Action was used sparse which was riddicilous. John Moore couldn't even manage to tell a revenge story.
It's stylish but that's it. The plot and dialog are both quite ridiculous so even a decent cast couldn't do anything with it. However Wahlberg is the only really decent actor in this, Nelly Furtado is HILARIOUSLY bad at acting to the point of almost making the film worth watching. The action scenes are certainly the highlight of the film but sadly you have to slog through over an hour of dribble, poor pacing and editing to get to them and the payoff certainly isn't worth it.
Now, I like Mark Wahlberg, so I always wish him well. But this is just so very meh it makes Tomb Raider look interesting. It doesn't matter so much about plot in action films, but ye gods make it entertaining yeah? And where did the the super-slow-mo bullet time go?
Not quite as bad as most people make it out to be. Wahlberg has exactly the right face for this. They should have made it "more noir", instead of mixing in the supernatural creatures. What truly derails the film - besides the poor, flashback-laden storytelling - is a bad guy so tame that I can only try to hint at how ineffectual and payneful the resolution is with a pun like this.

Last modified by:metalhankmetalhank on 20 Jan 2022