Maximum Overdrive

Maximum Overdrive

1986
Sci-fi

Rated 08 Jun 2022
In this part of the Multiverse of Madness, the Green Goblin is a semi truck. Death by watermelon will never be not funny.
Rated 07 Jul 2011
Holy shit that scene when the waitress loses her shit "WE MAAAAAAAAAAAADE YOU! WE MAAAAAAAAAAAAADE YOOOOOOOU" WHO MADE WHO?!?! *Guitar riffs
Rated 06 Jul 2014
IT'S COCAINE: THE MOVIE VROOM VROOM VROOOOOOOOOM
Rated 16 Mar 2012
Between Who Made Who blasting in the background, and a soda machine killing a guy, I'd say this movie is worth watching at least once.
Rated 18 Nov 2020
King does so much wrong. While alot of it tries to be funny - & fails -, there are scenes of dialogue so bad they may unintentionally create eyerolling laughter. This is particularly true of his attempts at romantic "banter" between the leads- & its made worse by some of his static staging. But the biggest problems are failing to take into account how silly & unthreatening all of these truck & machine attacks look onscreen & how out-of-place his pretentious Master-Becomes-Servant theme is here.
Rated 29 Jul 2012
It's Stephen King's directorial debut, and Emilio Estevez! What can go wrong? Everything. Everything can go wrong.
Rated 20 Jun 2011
First half hour is pretty entertaining. The rest not so, but if you don't take it very seriously you'll survive. "Honey, come on over here sugar buns. This machine just called me an asshole!" Great quote
Rated 16 Oct 2019
For a film where people are killed by vending machines and video arcades, there isn't nearly enough contempt.
Rated 24 Aug 2009
I seen this at the video rental store. I seen "Written and directed by Stephen King" and "Scored by AC\DC" on the cover and I immediately thought "Fu*k yeah." The clerk told me this was their last copy, the other 3 having been "lost" or "destroyed." So it was no surprise to him when I came back a few days later to report that I "lost" it. It's a fun ride, just don't expect to do much thinking.
Rated 17 Apr 2012
Overview: rogue watermelon bursts through sedan sunroof and crushes big-haired blonde, tasty two-tone riff, little-leaguer gets flattened by a steamroller after watching his coach mauled by a vending machine, crystal-shattering high-tone yell, bloody lawn mower chases all-American kid on a gnarly BMX down a wooded suburban lane, earth-shattering drum fill, heavily armed jeep honking its horn in Morse code, ordering Emilio Estevez to fill up its tank with diesel, Satan-summoning power chord.
Rated 04 Mar 2013
Stephen King was apparently high on coke for much of the production. You don't think I'd mention that if it didn't show, do you? Because...it does. There's no plot, really, just a bunch of one-dimensional characters trying to deal with the sudden, homicidal sentience of machines--most notably big-rig trucks. It's hard to believe this wasn't intended as a comedy; it's incredibly goofy, without a shred of actual menace. At times, it's so bad it's good--but you could do much better in that regard.
Rated 30 Apr 2009
Fun little movie about trucks out to kill people, and ATMs that swear at you.
Rated 03 Jul 2013
Particularly inane thriller.
Rated 25 Sep 2010
Ultra silly but in a fun way. Plus it's got some AC/DC.
This is a far cry from the original Stephen King short story, which was well-written and intriguing. This offering was borderline ridiculous. However, I do feel that if this movie was remade today, it could be infinitely better. Final decision: Definitely rushed to the table, considering what was just recently done with the story "Battleground."
Rated 03 Jun 2015
King directed this coked out of his gourd and it shows. Nothing makes sense, so it's just a buncha alien-hijacked trucks driving around (prepare to be spooked!). There's a lot of campy fun in this film (although long stretches of boredom), and you and I are on different levels if you can't enjoy a film that has a pop can machine that kills people.
Ridiculous.
Rated 31 Mar 2007
Stephen King fucks up his own classic short story
Rated 03 Oct 2015
Irredeemably bad 80s schlock.
Rated 12 Dec 2010
I'm trying to put this as diplomatically as I can when I say that this is the worst piece of shit I think I've ever seen. I like the representing of that photo.
Rated 12 Jul 2020
The machines come alive and start killing everyone in this showcase for why not all authors can direct their own movies. While the concept alone leads to enough bonkers moments to feed the bad-movie aficionado, this horror movie is fairly inept in its presentation. Some fans might be compensated by the AC/DC soundtrack, however. Stephen King himself called it a "moron movie" and has never directed a film since.
Rated 04 Sep 2014
An ATM calls Stephen King an asshole. Need I say more?
Rated 28 Aug 2019
Though the premise is enough to spark interest, and is an incredibly fun one, it's executed about as terribly as possible- which is somewhat shocking, given that this is a King project. Poorly acted, poorly edited, awfully written & given the worst "chase sequence" song I have ever heard in any horror movie ever, it's a complete irredeemable load of garbage & isn't worth anybody's time. If there were any pros at all to mention, I'd mention them- but there aren't. This one's a dud.
Rated 13 Feb 2007
Rather silly film but watchable.
Rated 02 Jun 2007
A perfect example of a boring horror film.
Rated 26 Jun 2008
not so good
Rated 10 Jul 2008
This is why Stephen King does not direct films. A bunch of implausible, poorly strung together ideas set to a AC-DC soundtrack (I love how they emphasized their logo in the opening credits) makes for an ultracheesy film that would be great to watch if you were really intoxicated. But not otherwise.
Rated 23 Oct 2012
Holy crap, this movie is ridicolous but it's just so much stupid fun.
Rated 20 Jul 2018
While there are a few ‘so-bad-it's-good' moments, King's foray into directing is mainly a slog. Not scary, not very funny, and with silly action, there isn't a whole lot to like.
Rated 22 Oct 2012
Why did I find this movie scary as a kid? It's hilareous! So unbelievable and campy but was interesting to see again after so many years.
Rated 31 Jan 2009
What people forget about this is that it was never a Stephen King story...it was a screenplay. Stephen is my God and I will love everything he ever does....other than this movie's screenplay.
Rated 07 Jan 2011
To the max.
LOL. Emilio Estevez vs evil trucks. So bad it's still vaguely entertaining.
Rated 05 Sep 2008
trashily good
Campy and ultimately weak, but something about it makes me give it a watchable score if you're desperate. Killer soundtrack at least.
This ridiculous horror flick is en embarrassment to everyone involved in the film, but it's also hilarious and completely worth seeing, even if just to laugh about it with friends. It's like Night of the Living Dead with trucks instead of zombies. Meh!
Rated 15 Mar 2022
Slamming good drama, Stephen King at his best, even if he said it was a moron movie. Haters get Lyme disease and move to Cape Cod.
Rated 15 Mar 2017
This movie is insane. Fun, but completely batshit insane.
Rated 27 Jul 2007
Wasted potential.
Rated 04 Oct 2015
Fun at first, but gets boring quite fast. It needed more inventiveness or some change of location in the second half.
Rated 10 May 2012
Fun movie. Loved the soundtrack by AC/DC!
Rated 09 Dec 2012
There is a Green Goblin truck in this film and it is a shining beacon in the shitty darkness that is this bore-heap.
Rated 12 Nov 2016
B-
Rated 30 Apr 2008
Some great ideas and a lot of humor but let's be honest, it's a vanity project. Not saying a fiction writer can't direct, Clive Barker had a couple of good ones, just that this one shouldn't have directed. But coke don't take no for an answer, I guess.
Rated 17 Jun 2012
Hilarious
It's not scary at all, the "horror" scenes are too silly to be taken seriously, and there's no suspense whatsoever. Yeardley Smith is horribly annoying, and you get pleasure out of seeing people get killed by machines. All this, and I still really like this movie. Maybe it's the AC/DC soundtrack.
Rated 20 Aug 2008
One of the best bad movies ever created, all thanks to cocaine.
Rated 15 Aug 2007
It gets nostalgia points. I thought this film was super cool when I was 12.
Rated 24 Jun 2014
Maximum Overdrive deserves more respect: https://youtu.be/KG_vNoN_3_Y
Rated 12 Apr 2012
F*CK YEAH that is all
Rated 24 Jan 2010
I barely remember this, but from memory that is a good thing
Rated 04 Sep 2014
Alfred Hitchcock was a great director, but he never had the balls to call himself an asshole.
Rated 24 Nov 2012
Grew up watching this a lot.
Rated 25 Jul 2021
Comboio do Terror estreava há 35 anos no Brasil e nos EUA. Pára gente, falam tão mal desse filme e ele está longe de ser ruim, é bem divertido até, mas ninguém se divertiu mais do que o King que passou a filmagem toda trincado de cocaína. BlurayRip RARBG.
This movie makes me lol. I'm not sure if that's a good thing or a bad thing.
Rated 20 Apr 2008
I can't help but wonder how this might've fared in the hands of someone competent like Romero, who would've found clever ways to imbue the story with something more than this half-assed stab at social commentary, but then again this may be better off as the empty-headed popcorn schlock that it is.
Rated 16 Oct 2014
With its intriguing characters, oddly interesting activity from the trucks, and electrifying soundtrack, Maximum Overdrive serves as dumb, over-the-top fun if you choose not to take it too seriously.
Rated 28 Jun 2009
Great B movie, taken far too seriously by Stephen King fans and people with no senses of humor or fun.
Rated 07 Jul 2009
Very funny King adaption. like that one
Rated 04 Feb 2008
It's retarded to the extreme, but maintains a nice balance between absurd (sometimes unintentional) comedy and over-the-top violence. The bad special effects only heighten the experience.
Rated 18 Oct 2010
Classic cheese with a pounding AC/DC soundtrack. The bridge scene in the beginning is great, as it's all real, with real vehicles being smashed and real stuntmen flying through windshields. You'll find no CGI here. The poor kid being run over by a steam roller has always stuck with me. Everyone shit on Stephen King for directing this, but it's just enough 80's schlock mixed with action to be awesome. One of the films I'll never stop re-watching.
Rated 10 Mar 2019
B-movie fun
Rated 21 Mar 2022
I heard Stephen King is embarrassed by this movie
 From my understanding he was on a cocaine binge and “Coked” out of his mind
 It’s definitely a wild crazy ride and I like it It ties into my own personal phobias about technology turning against us and I really enjoyed the AC/DC soundtrack
My only complaint towards the end of the movie it does feel a little too repetitive
Rated 16 Nov 2011
After reading Under The Dome, I remembered that Stephen King had written a similar story several times. This being one of the worst. And it's even worse than I remembered it. But still, it's got Stephen King getting called an asshole by an ATM, who presumably felt ashamed to be in this movie.
Rated 17 Mar 2022
Maximum Overdrive is 80s cheese fully realized. This movie is a blast from start to finish. King directs with no subtlety whatsoever and manages to create one of the most entertaining films I've ever seen. Do I care that it's objectivly bad? Not in the slightest.