2000
Romance
A Jewish male nurse (Ben Stiller) plans to ask his live-in girl friend (Teri Polo) to marry him. However, he learns that her strict father (Robert DeNiro) expects to be asked for his daughter's hand before she can accept. Thus begins the visit from Hell as the two travel to meet Mom (Blythe Danner) and Dad, who turns out to be former CIA with a lie detector in the basement. Coincidentally, a sister (Nicole DeHuff) also has announced her wedding to a young doctor (Thomas McCarthy)... (imdb)

2000
Romance
Avg Percentile 42.59% from 12038 total ratings

(12038)
Rated 25 Apr 2018
In the heyday of Stiller comedies, came one successful enough to warrant two sequels, and it certainly is funny and it's pretty entertaining. But even only twenty years later, this one is beginning to show signs of weathering. DeNiro is great, Stiller and Wilson are about the same as ever.
I had a hard time sympathizing with Ben Stiller. I don't much care for these comedies where one terrible thing happens after another until it all gets neatly wrapped up at the end. But there's some funny stuff. Needs more Owen Wilson.
Rated 06 Jun 2011
It's funny and I enjoy watching it, but watching the same bad luck incidents happen to one character over the course of one film gets a little old and unrealistic (and predictable). Stiller was good, but De Niro as the father was perfect.
Rated 22 Mar 2009
Gaylord Focker lol
Rated 24 Feb 2007
Ben Stiller plays the same character he always plays. With the entire movie riding on whether or not you think he's funny it's really hit or miss. I don't find Ben Stiller remotely funny but if you do then you'll probably like this.
Rated 16 Feb 2009
This is funny, i have to admit, but I can't really enjoy what is essentially a 90 minute anxiety attack. Seriously, I think I smoked like, 4 cigarettes.
Rated 31 Mar 2011
I liked it but it really did teeter on the point of being really great or total crap. For most people it stayed on that point or fell on the crap side, but I can't begrudge anybody who loves or hates this film.
Rated 22 Mar 2008
Dear Ben Stiller: There are things that are funnier than watching you be uncomfortably awkward for two hours, like good movies. Remember when you used to make those?
It's occasionally very funny, but mostly redundant and overly frustrating. You can only feel bad for a character like Greg (Stiller) for so long before it becomes annoying. Thankfully, Meet the Parents has good dialogue, and a handful of good laughs thanks to it. Meh!
Rated 21 Sep 2010
Although Stiller's awkward guy phase was paper thin to begin with, DeNiro's crazy father in law routine was still pretty funny at this point.
Rated 25 Feb 2017
Ben Stiller and Robert DeNiro were brilliantly cast opposite one another in this well made awkward comedy. Quotable with its' fair share of laughs, unfortunately not enough to prop up a story lacking much in depth.
Rated 17 Dec 2008
Robert de Niro shines in this movie as the update Dad, The sign of a true actor is the ability to do comedy
Rated 18 Dec 2009
An amusing film, but not very memorable.
Rated 18 Jan 2015
HEY GUESS WHAT, HIS NAME IS FOKKER! GET IT? Repeated for one and a half hour. Good cast, but terrible script with jokes that are more likely to make you cringe than laugh.
Rated 31 Jan 2016
Gaylord Focker being a male nurse is pretty much funny by default.
Rated 04 May 2007
Quirky movie that has it's moments, but forgettable too easy.
Rated 11 Feb 2008
Absolute crap. The hero's last name is "Focker", which should give you an idea of the level of humor here. Poor De Niro
Rated 09 Jan 2011
Kinda funny in one or two places but mostly just cringey, failing humour. DeNiro is good, of course. I think this the peak of this series, though I'm yet to see the Little Fockers.
Back before we were all horribly sick of and hated Standard Ben Stiller Character #1, it was actually pretty funny to watch him try to overcome his awkwardness and unfortunate mishaps. De Niro is funny too.
Rated 03 Mar 2007
20 years now I've been thinking about Robert De Niro being milked.
Rated 12 Jan 2007
Contrived situations, pointless gross-out humour, and I just plain hate Ben Stiller.
Rated 11 Jul 2011
Travis Bickle torments Derek Zoolander because he's worried about him marrying his daughter. Also Lightning McQueen shows up at one point, but no one really cares.
Ben Stiller essentially only has two comic roles: wacky, over the top weirdo-idiot and hapless shlub who gets mercilessly abused and humiliated. His character in this film is of the latter variety, and while it's not bad for what it is (though it lacks the crude charm of There's Something About Mary), it still doesn't appeal to me very much.
Rated 27 Apr 2008
Mean-spirited, one-joke comedy that ignores it's own premise for the cheap laugh. A supposedly extremely intelligent (SAT scores) main character who acts consistently stupid throughout? A woman who loves her prospective husband, but does nothing to support him as he is continually belittled? A few humourous moments between Stiller and De Niro do little to elevate a deficient plot.
Rated 08 Oct 2007
One of the funniest comedy of the 00s, with a good story and great actors. Everything works fine.
A nice, fun story. The novelty of De Niro being a nice guy who loves his cat wears off, but it still works. A great comedy, and it achieves what it tries to.
Rated 12 Feb 2009
Funny!
Rated 04 Jul 2009
Better than Meet the Fockers, but not a comedy classic either. There are several laughs to be had here.
Rated 02 Apr 2011
Rated 01 Jul 2012
Not bad. Definitely didn't need a sequel though. Painting a cat rules.
Rated 21 Jun 2020
De Niro and Stiller make the perfect comedy binary. Light comedy, good casting.
Rated 16 Sep 2008
Oy vey, Ben Stiller... when will you do it right?
Rated 20 Dec 2012
Funny at times, but a bit immature.
Rated 14 Sep 2014
An unusually funny film considering the gags are quite childish.
OK movie
Rated 16 Nov 2010
Laughable at times.
Rated 03 Aug 2020
Owen Wilson stays winning. Otherwise yeah this didn't age well
Rated 01 Oct 2014
Meet the Parents is a sweet comedy whose situations wind up being the highlights of the film. You take relatively realistic characters and place them in ridiculous predicaments, and then comedy happens. That's the formula to which Meet the Parents adheres, and it works quite well. It's inoffensive, it's funny, and it has a couple of good leading performances. This was a surprise, folks.
Rated 07 Oct 2008
The overwhelming success this enjoyed and the loathesome unfunniness & blatant money-grabbing of the sequel almost makes you forget how funny this movie is. It will take some doing to remember how great this one is when the second sequel comes out. SHUDDER.
Rated 03 Apr 2014
Silly and fun
Rated 16 Jun 2009
I liked it, but was by no means blown away with it like so many seemed to be.
Rated 05 Feb 2013
Seminal for what it is, but nothing groundbreaking.
Rated 24 Oct 2012
If you can separate it from other Stiller movies and from the over-productive romantic comedy genre, it is not bad to be honest. It is a good example of if you do hyperbole you have to do it to the extreme. I'm lucky with my in-laws, but for most of the people it should bring in some awkward memories too, so it is very easy to identify with at that level. Conflict of interest disclaimer: the cat looks really like my cat, so I think that might have distorted my opinion.
Rated 01 Nov 2009
No me gusta el genero
Rated 30 Nov 2007
Shit happens to innocent people :D
Rated 19 Jan 2013
Believable yet crazy funny.
Rated 17 Jun 2009
Not too bad, what is bad however is that it has birthed two sequels. I just don't get why De Niro thinks he needs to do these kind of movies...!!?
Rated 01 Nov 2008
So funny, Gaylord, I'm watching you!
Rated 20 Jan 2007
milkin the cat but i dont wanna see deniro in a comedy movie again
Rated 22 Dec 2013
Despite sometimes sitcom-like execution, Meet the Parents is a hilarious look at familial relationships that works mostly because the chemistry between its two leads is so effective.
Rated 17 Apr 2012
The "Focker" and fecal jokes are immature and predictable but I honestly laughed the most at them, probably because of my immature sense of humor. The rest I didn't really care for as much. Doesn't develop its characters enough to make such over-the-top cringe comedy work that well.
Rated 29 Dec 2007
One of my guilty pleasures... And easily Ben Stiller's best film.
Rated 29 May 2015
Pretty good
Rated 22 Aug 2008
Funny but sometimes a little too painfully awkward... D: I like the sequel more.
Rated 04 Apr 2011
Meet The Parents is my my favourite movie of the trilogy.
The awkwardness and anxiousness can get grating, but this is funny enough to overcome that.
Rated 12 Mar 2008
It was cute, but there's way too much slapstick humor.
Rated 01 Jun 2008
Mildly amusing
Rated 17 Apr 2010
Despite being quite domestic Meet the Parents isn't at all bad. It has that awkward humour emphasised by its context.
Rated 25 Jul 2007
Now here's a big-budget Hollywood comedy that's sweet, charming, often hilarious, and totally lovable. Cherish this, for it is rare as fuck!
Rated 11 Jul 2008
The slapstick and over-the-top-cringe humour may not do it for some, but I found it rib-tickling.
Rated 12 Sep 2009
stiller grates on my nerves after a while, especially when he overplays the kicked-when-he's-down character. but there is some genuinely funny interplay with him and deniro.
Rated 27 Jul 2010
The intentional cringe factor is notably strong with this one, as the incidents depicted escalate to memorable full-blown mayhem mode. Robert De Niro is a natural as the terrifying prospective father-in-law, and his interplay with the appropriately awkward Ben Stiller is the crux of "Meet the Parents"; you can almost taste the tension between them. On the downside, most of the film is so preposterous you're bound to have a hard time swallowing the disproportionately convenient, swift resolution.
Rated 22 Jan 2008
I admit, I liked it, but I'm not proud of it.
Rated 16 Feb 2009
It's like Heat with Ben Stiller replacing Pacino. Wait, that's horrible!
Rated 12 Apr 2008
Funny movie!
Rated 01 Sep 2008
Basic Ben Stiller romcom stuff. Good acting on a mostly horrible screenplay.
Rated 29 Aug 2010
Hilarious!
Rated 17 Sep 2008
for dum
Rated 29 Feb 2016
Quite possibly Ben Stiller's best film of all time. Still not great, but...
Rated 17 Aug 2007
One joke a bunch of times.
Rated 04 Jul 2008
The good: Blythe Danner and De Niro. The not-so-good: Ben Stiller and Owen Wilson in yet another Ben Stiller movie.
Rated 25 Mar 2013
A classic comedy about a common issue. Pleasing your future in-laws. Robert De Niro steals the show as Jack the ex C.I.A. agent who now spends his time interrogating his daughter's boyfriends. Poor Ben Stiller gets put through the wringer as he makes mistake after mistake trying to win Jack's approval. The best is when he spray-paints a cats tail to trick the family into thinking he found their lost cat. The prayer scene is also one of my favorites. Oh and Terri Polo is adorable.
Rated 07 Aug 2020
Baya gülmeli
Rated 01 Dec 2007
This is a great comedy movie, DeNiro's performance is my favorite.
Rated 25 Dec 2012
It's full of contrived problems with even more contrived solutions, but the comedy in between is at least entertaining.
Rated 14 Feb 2009
Funny but whatever
Rated 10 Dec 2006
We get it Stiller, you're a klutz. Please exit Hollywood.
Rated 24 Feb 2007
Very good comedy right inbetween dry and slapstick humor that somehow perfects this odd combination of comedy. Ben Stiller creates the most perfect "Leave it to Beaver" moments possible that keep the viewer very entertained.
Rated 21 Aug 2010
#00s(e)#, story, reviews, casting.
Rated 27 Feb 2009
Ben Stiller? Ugh.
Once you strip away all the jokes and above-average performances, you have something far more rare: a tolerable Ben Stiller romantic comedy. That counts for so much more in this world.
Rated 18 Mar 2007
Really, Meet the Parents is a surprisingly great movie that is thoroughly funny the entire way through.
Rated 26 Sep 2007
I have to admit this romantic comedy has some good laughs, but overall it's a pretty standard Ben Stiller movie.
Rated 27 Nov 2018
Quite decent comedy flick, many of the characters are all over the top exaggerated. Did really enjoy De Niro's performance the most. I could have done without the stupid focking cat gags.
Rated 19 Mar 2007
An original comedic blockbuster for good reason. We haven't seen DeNiro lighten up so much ever in his career, and the name Gaylord Focker makes this film worth seeing all by itself.
Rated 12 Sep 2007
I loved this movie. it's the kind you can watch over and over and still enjoy. Robert De Niro is an unforgettable, lovable, menacing guy. I can't think of Puff the Magic Dragon without laughing.
Rated 21 Feb 2014
Meet The Parents by recent comedy standards is a lot of fun and there's a lot of laughs to be had here. Ben Stiller comically gets everything wrong and gets himself in some really awkward situations. Over time it begins to tire slightly though. But the star here is the great Robert De Niro. He is perfectly cast here and it's so refreshing to see him in a less demanding and more light hearted role than we're used to from him. Although it kick started his awful run of self parody. Decent comedy.
Not terrible.
Rated 27 Mar 2021
w/ Gurmes
Rated 05 Jan 2014
So, SO cringe-making. Almost unbearable to watch at times. The characters are brilliantly believable and it has some great parts. Ben Stiller plays pretty much the same character he always does.
Rated 17 Apr 2009
it's ok.
Rated 07 Aug 2020
Opinión personal: 7 Actores: 8 Planos: 7,5 Guión: 6,5 BSO/FX: - Total: 72
Rated 05 Dec 2015
A-
Rated 16 Sep 2014
Serviceable if there's nothing else to do and you haven't seen it. Wouldn't watch it again.
Rated 26 Oct 2012
* Casting, Acting : 7 * Script : 7 * Directing, Aura : 6 * Ease of Viewing : 6 * Naked Eye : 6
Rated 04 Jun 2010
Surprisingly bearable for a comedy.
Rated 06 Nov 2010
pretty funny movie
Rated 09 Nov 2021
Meet The Parents is awkward, hilarious, and touching, exceeding expectations for a comedy in this vein.
Rated 09 Aug 2021
Well, here I am reviewing the comedy box office smash Meet the Parents after twenty years avoiding it. I didn't dislike it, which is saying a lot. It's surprisingly stilted most of the time— with De Niro meant to be the comedy source but playing it super restrained. Otherwise there are maybe four major setpieces meant to send 2000-era audiences into hysterics while the rest of the time it's "haha Focker sounds like Fucker can you believe this?! In a PG movie?! We did it, America!"