Criterion Channel

1996
Documentary
A documentary of insect life in meadows and ponds, using incredible close-ups, slow motion, and time-lapse photography... (imdb)

1996
Documentary

Rated 14 May 2010
The creatures. They eat, they fuck, they die. Water drops like bombs onto their homes, birds inflict massive casualties, and they become collateral damage in stag beetles' territorial conflicts. A dung beetle appears positively Sisyphean. But then the camera zooms out to reveal scenes of relative tranquility and the juxtaposition of the stakes (high) and the scope (small) becomes hilarious and, in its own way, incredibly depressing.
Rated 16 Oct 2008
Technically superior to almost anything in its genre.
Rated 26 Jun 2011
Outstanding photography and sound production, with the latter clearly influencing Attenborough's later documentaries. Ironic anthropomorphization is used to good effect via the score as well as through the ironic juxtaposition of large-scale scenery with small-scale insect action. Perhaps a tad too long for the concept, though, and a couple shots feel quite contrived. Great nonetheless.
Rated 07 Jul 2011
Amazing look at the world beneath our feet.
Rated 12 Jun 2011
Oh man this movie is so great. No narrative, just the adventures of bugs. Also, poor dung beetle!
Rated 27 Jan 2012
Besides minimal bookends of narration, the astonishing footage speaks for itself, revealing all these creepy, crawly, slimy, buzzy things to be incredibly beautiful. The most impressive achievement is how it highlights alien, ultra-detailed anatomies and focuses on idiosyncratic behaviors to evoke humane moods like romance, macabre horror, and moments of whimsy. As the title implies, the sense of scale is amazing. My favorite scene depicts a bird of Godzilla stature terrorizing a colony of ants.
Rated 03 May 2009
Love bugs, love great cinematography
Rated 01 Jun 2008
Wow. Fascinating stuff. Gorgeous photography.
Rated 08 Aug 2011
I remember watching this as a kid and was absolutely fascinated by it and thought it was really beautiful. Got to rewatch this again
Rated 17 Dec 2006
I don't remember being very interested in this when I saw it, but then again I was 10 or 11 years old. I found a clip with some footage from the movie on Youtube, and it does look pretty spectacular. I imagine it must get boring after a while, though.
Rated 13 May 2010
A document about bugs couldn't be more interesting.
Rated 19 Jan 2012
Absolutely gorgeous. I never thought these little creatures could be so beautiful, but this movie truly cements how amazing life is.
Rated 04 Mar 2007
Beautiful photography that really pulls you into a bizarre world. I love how effectively it dramaticizes a day in the life of bugs
Rated 28 Jan 2012
This is the episode on bugs Planet Earth was missing.
Rated 12 Aug 2014
The beautiful reality of the world beneath your feet. I never before thought I could empathize with a dung beetle.
Rated 23 May 2013
An interesting experience is obtained from the lack of narration, though this also makes it tend toward tedium. I'm left wondering how it would be with narration - a different experience, sure, but at a few points I did want more info than the visuals alone could convey. The scene with the dung beetle was pretty funny, and not just because it involved a ball of poop.
Rated 24 Aug 2012
How can a film be both really dull and really fascinating? By focusing entirely on insects with no narration. Even though it's short it gets tiring watching these different insects eat, hunt, reproduce and die. Yet the film is shot with such amazing detail, and with camera angles that make you wonder, "how did they manage that shot," that you can't help but want to keep watching.
Rated 05 Dec 2012
Holy shit, don't watch this alone at night.
Rated 08 Apr 2012
Amazing photography and up close and personal shots I did not really see the like of again, until Planet Earth or Life more than a decade later.
Rated 18 Sep 2013
The cinematography is of course beyond great, but it doesn't quite manage to make up for the lack of conventional story as well as some other similar movies.
Rated 27 Jul 2014
Incredible.
Rated 28 Oct 2012
It's a very bare-bones kind of documentary. There's a few seconds of narration to set everything up in the beginning, and a few seconds at the very end to close things up. The rest is just footage of bugs doing their thing. It is some really good footage, though. And the absence of narration generally makes the whole thing a lot more fun to watch. Though I did sometimes wonder just what I was looking at, and why certain bugs were doing certain things. But I guess that mystique is just part of it
Rated 19 Dec 2006
This is a lot like Winged Migration, in that it's a nature documentary with astounding how-the-hell-did-they-get-THAT-shot photography, and minimal narration. The material is a little more interesting however, with lots of struggle and creatures more unusual than birds. Still, it does get dull after about 45 minutes.
Rated 05 May 2011
grrrreeeaaaaaa...boring.
Rated 17 Apr 2009
Not your regular nature documentary. Almost no narrative, but technically amazing shots. Because of the concept that all you see happens in one meadow, there aren't enough interesting material and after a while it gets boring.
Rated 14 Jan 2013
Microcosmos cannot be judged on the criteria used for most films, but it can't be compared to the most beautiful nature documentaries either. There exists a type of primordial storytelling and theme in these shots that is very strongly felt, but not necessarily understood.
Rated 10 Apr 2007
Phenomenal photography and sound in this very interesting film.
Rated 16 Jul 2018
Amazing time lapses. I'm a lil' bit scared from bee scenes but that sound which they recorded was amazing. I'm really glad to watch this movie.
Rated 12 Mar 2022
10.17 Kurtköy
Rated 15 Apr 2008
Stunningly beautiful, even 12 years after it was released. Slow-moving but never boring.
Rated 22 Mar 2013
The itchiest movie I've ever seen. I needed a shower after that snail scene.
Rated 20 Oct 2007
Beautiful photography in service of helping us to see the "unseen." The film constantly reminds us of the ways in which the "large" world passes over the "small" world, of how much that goes on beyond our notice. In this way, the film is humbling.
Rated 30 Aug 2012
This is amazing, and I HATE bugs, just straight up hate them.