2004
Sport
Frankie Dunn has trained and managed some incredible fighters during a lifetime spent in the ring. The most important lesson he teaches his boxers is the one that rules life: above all, always protect yourself. In the wake of a painful estrangement from his daughter, Frankie has been unwilling to let himself get close to anyone for a very long time... (imdb)

2004
Sport

Rated 14 Nov 2021
This was a poorly marketed film. The commercials made it seem like a female Rocky. Instead, it's a profoundly humanist rumination on regret that just happens to include boxing. It gives viewers great insight into its heroine--especially when exploring her drive, poverty upbringing, and the final third's gut-punch premise. But it's also an Eastwood movie, so old people prove they have valuable things to teach whippersnappers. Recommended, although be warned of the downer ending.
Rated 18 Oct 2019
We should have seen the warning signs on old Eastwood starting to lose it when he misunderstood a script about a boxer "taking a fall" and went in a WAY serious direction with it.
Rated 29 Apr 2009
A movie completely convinced of its own thoughtfulness, as evidenced by Freeman's annoying narration and generally overblown performances. This would just be annoying if it wasn't for the way the screenplay writes its characters in broad, easy-to-understand strokes. The worst is Swank's white trash family, so ridiculously overdone they absolutely kill the dramatic importance of any scene they're in. Worst of all, it's plain boring.
This felt like two different predictable movies. First a standard boxing movie, clichés all in place, then a rather mundane melodrama. I probably would have liked it more if they'd just stuck to the standard boxing movie, and maybe saved the twist for the end. It was well done though, and the interplay between Eastwood and Freeman is almost as enjoyable as it was in Unforgiven. Could have done without Freeman's narration which made it feel like a rehash of Shawshank Redemption.
Rated 24 Nov 2009
(rewatch) I was unfair to this movie the first time I saw it. It's not a masterpiece, but it's extremely good. Very well made but suffers from some cheesy writing. It felt formulatic, but it wasn't hokey, so it doesn't really matter. Plus, it's only like that in the first 2 acts. The third act is awesome. Eastwood should've got the best acting Oscar. That scene in the church at the end is worth it alone.
Rated 27 Aug 2008
Well deserved Oscar to Ms. Swank.
Rated 24 Jun 2016
The more you think about this movie, the worse it gets.
Rated 17 Mar 2014
Hilary Swank is tremendous. The rest of the film is decidedly not, though I did like the way the boxing scenes were filmed. The climax is one of the most contrived things I've ever seen in it a movie, and the aftermath turns the melodrama levels into overdrive, and they were already pretty hard to begin with. Also, what's with late period Eastwood making these movies about him as an old white man finding redemption through "saving" the less fortunate? Come on, gramps.
Rated 06 Jul 2013
If Morgan Freeman's character were a ghost, this movie would be exactly the same. Full disclosure: I cried at the end.
You know, had this film focused on the goofy wannabe kid with no grip on reality instead of Swank, this would've been memorable. That beating scene was amazing shit, and easily topped the rest of the film. So, instead, the rest of the flick kind of bored me and felt extremely forgettable. How did this get so much praise when it felt like such an unoriginal idea?
Rated 31 Jul 2009
A movie that builds you up just to knock you on your ass...but in a good way. Eastwood, Swank and Freeman were all dynamite as were the majority of the secondary actors. Only Swank's family were poorly written as they were a little too cliche trailer trash and were somewhat unbelievable. Fortunately their roles were minor enough were it doesn't bother you too much. Shows how good Eastwood can be behind the camera and could possibly be the second best boxing movie ever (behind Raging Bull).
Rated 23 Feb 2010
Everything in this film builds up to one big melodramatic twist. Very disappointing effort by Eastwood and it felt very manipulative and insincere. I really did enjoy the film up until that point though and the acting is pretty solid throughout which makes it an even greater shame.
Rated 26 Feb 2007
The strong backlash against Million Dollar Baby reflects distaste for two things: formula and naked emotion. But when a story is handled so gracefully as this one, with its range of themes neatly intertwining both with character and with each other, who cares?
Rated 27 May 2008
You don't see too many women starring in 'No one can beat me, I'm the king of the world' type of roles, but Hilary Swank plays Maggie Fitzgerald perfectly as the hard nosed, tough as nails, boxer. The story is about boxing, but it delves deeper and thats where the greatness lies.
Rated 03 May 2012
This is actually my second favorite boxing movie, which probably says a lot. I can't really say it's a Rocky, or a Raging Bull, but I found it to be exceptionally made. Amazing performances and writing and directing from Eastewood and company. If you haven't seen this already you definitely should, especially if you like boxing movies.
Rated 14 Dec 2009
Disappointing for an academy award winner. The story was great until it turned into a commercial for euthenasia. I hate it when Hollywood tries to cram morals down our throat.
Rated 02 Aug 2012
Cheesy as fuck. And way too long. Too bad, because with that subject matter they could have made something great.
Rated 07 Mar 2019
excellent all around
Rated 01 Jul 2007
Overwhelmingly manipulative garbage. Everyone here is a paper-thin character at best, especially Hillary Swank's wretched family. Someone should tell Paul Haggis that there're more than two dimensions.
Rated 10 Jun 2009
Eastwood impresses again with this tragic version of the American dream.
Rated 21 Apr 2007
Pretty good, in spite of the fact that Haggis helped write it, although some of the melodrama still came through. Hilary Swank can be a great actress when she has either good material to work with (like Boys Don't Cry) or a good director (like this).
I'm biased. That said, Clint Eastwood is probably the best guy in Hollywood and this film proves it. He can act and he can turn a screenplay into a well crafted film. Goodbye spaghetti westerns, hello modern day dramas!
Rated 03 Jun 2013
The academy sure does love boxing movies. And so do I, apparently.
Rated 22 Sep 2010
Eastwood continues to progress as an actor and director.
Rated 05 Jan 2021
Boxing trainer Frankie Dunn (Clint Eastwood) hasn't let anyone into his personal life for a long time, until Maggie Fitzgerald (Hilary Swank) steps into his training room. Marked by a difficult life, young Maggie has managed to fight her way to the boxing ring with pure talent and willpower. Now more than ever she needs someone to believe in her, but the last thing Frankie needs is to take responsibility for Maggie. Still, through Maggie's will and determination, Frankie sets out to train her.
Rated 30 Dec 2007
I love boxing movies, so watching a movie where a badass like Eastwood takes a young girl (and Swank did a great job) under his wing to conquer all was a lot of fun. Not to mention a Morgan Freeman wise old man role, which always tugs the heartstrings. But the ending felt way too manipulative, and even though I knew it was coming, it still left a bad taste in my mouth. It just felt like an unnecessary plot point, placed their solely to when an Oscar.
Rated 23 Nov 2009
Powerful performance by Swank and Clint excels at all of his tasks. The ending is a bit too long and sentimental.
Rated 03 Dec 2016
Absolutely loved it! Hillary Swank did a phenomenal job, as well as Eastwood and Freeman. This movie definitely deserve every award it won. With Eastwood's directing, this movies makes for a boxing classic.
"I DON'T TEACH GIRLS" and other such words of Haggis wisdom.
Rated 10 Sep 2009
Very well made, but it left me surprisingly cold for such an emotional subject.
Rated 31 Mar 2013
Not bad as these kinds of macho tearjerkers go. There is some real skill at work here. It just doesn't amount to very much in the end.
Heart-wrenching drama. A very important film that tells a great story and offers viewers the chance to reason choices out in their own minds.
Well shot, and well acted by Clint. Some of the script was a little forced, and sorry, Hillary Swank -- way, way overrated. I hate fake Southern accents
Rated 03 Jun 2018
Not much of a fan of Eastwood's directing. His main talent seems to be in making the banal seem profound to the uncritical mind. Still this film has something to offer.
Rated 30 Dec 2008
Not my favourite from Clint Eastwood, but still an impressive piece of great directing and acting.
Rated 31 Jul 2009
A simple story well told. What more could you ask for?
Rated 31 Oct 2018
A drama disguised as a sports movie. First act started like Rocky, which got the audience excited, then the movie peaked early in the second act, when the boxing got good The rest of the second act was slowly losing steam, as the characters had no goals set in stone anymore. It was just boxing for the sake of it, with no end goal of a title or championship. Nothing wrong with that in life but for a movie it started losing the audience. Third act instantly kills the momentum and the movie dies.
Rated 20 Jan 2009
Every sports movie that is considered "good" has to have some bullshit in it. If you didn't burst out laughing during the slow-mo fall shot, I don't know what to tell you.
Rated 28 Mar 2010
I still like the King of Hill episode where Luanne fights George Foreman's daughter more.
Rated 21 Apr 2008
Interesting piece on how you can dream of becoming big, make it big, and then lose it. Clint Eastwood delivers, in outstanding performances both directoring and acting. Swank, to me, is flat but seems to bring the critics in.
Rated 13 Feb 2007
New spin on boxing flicks but surprisingly good.
Rated 18 Mar 2013
This is an outstanding movie. Clint Eastwood does a great job directing and Hilary Swank is amazing in one of the best performances of her career. Morgan Freeman and Eastwood are also really good in this movie. The story is exciting, thrilling and heart breaking. I highly recommend this fantastic drama.
Rated 14 Feb 2021
Touching...
Rated 20 Jan 2007
Serves no other purpose than to rip your heart out and hand it back to you. Movies like that always bother me. At least this one is told well.
Rated 13 Aug 2007
It's a good film, nice acting, nice directing, nice nice. The part after the big accident is obviously much stronger than the part before, which felt like it was going nowhere... Well, maybe that was actually the point of it.
Rated 26 Jun 2008
I never need to watch this movie again.
Rated 21 Sep 2018
Million Dollar Baby illustrates Clint Eastwood's talent as a director. Boxing films could be a genre in and of itself and the cliche's are often so thick that it becomes hard to separate the genre from the film. Not so here, where there are multiple layers of story being told at once and boxing is only a small part of it. The acting is all-around great, the plot is wonderfully told with a twist that makes sense for the story, and the emotional core is unobtrusive yet present.
Rated 15 Sep 2007
Well made, well acted, but overwritten. The final turn just didn't work for me. I thought it was great the way it was. I think Haggis is a very heavy handed writer.
Rated 26 Oct 2008
Great piano.
Rated 27 Apr 2009
Great Clint Eastwood film.
Rated 11 Feb 2009
One of my favorites from Clint.
Rated 07 Nov 2008
Clintwood's masterpiece. Some truly impresive scenes makes this good movie an excelent one.
Rated 21 Feb 2015
Boks filmlerini sevmeyen biri olarak Clint Eastwood hem oyuncu hem yönetmen olarak gerçekten iyi iş çıkarmış.
good acting..morgan freeman always great..didnt like the ending.
A wonderful and emotional movie.
Rated 19 Mar 2008
That girl's neck is broken by a stool
Rated 20 Jan 2019
Two almost entirely unrelated halves of Oscar bait shoved into one mediocre movie.
Rated 27 Dec 2012
Million Dollar Baby is a great movie that transcends its genre and all of the clichés that are associated with that. It's not just an underdog story; all of the characters have more to give you than adhering to that typical story arch. It contains three outstanding performances by Swank, Eastwood and Freeman, and it's perfectly paced, leading to you never having a dull moment while watching it. As someone who doesn't like boxing, it captivated me throughout.
Amazing. I didn't know Eastwood had this in him.
Rated 09 Nov 2009
A great drama but I would never go out of my way to re-watch it :)
null
Rated 16 Sep 2007
Well made and the ending blows you away.
I went into it thinking I would hate it because I heard how great it was from everybody and that's the kind of person I am. I ended up watching it on HBO like 3 times in the next week. Trust me folks...it's as good as they say it is.
Depreciated considerably after a second viewing; the cartoony depiction of Maggie's family is fairly off-putting.
Oscar winner for Best Picture, this film directed and starring Clint Eastwood is a powerful look at the relationships between people. Father/Daughter, Coach/trainer, coach/boxer. The final third makes the film great.
Rated 08 Apr 2008
A real movie.
Rated 31 Oct 2009
Muy Buena
Rated 29 Mar 2020
87.1
It isn't just good, it's triumphant.
Rated 23 Aug 2015
I really liked this!
What could have been predictable, cliche fare turned out to be enthralling, heartbreaking, and great,
I thought this wouldn't be very good, and only watched it because it was given to me as a gift, but it actually kept my interest throughout. Give it a shot.
It's well written and acted, but goddamn I hated this boring monstrosity. While I appreciate Eastwood's skills as a filmmaker, this is terrible subject material.
Rated 18 Jan 2007
hillary she really deserves 2 oscars
Rated 22 Apr 2012
Real drama, a jump without ropes. very good Clint at maximum form.
Rated 29 May 2007
A quiet little gem.
Rated 15 Oct 2017
x2
Rated 29 May 2023
Great until became a eutanasia propaganda
Rated 16 Aug 2010
I can't give a snarky review here, Eastwood, Freeman and Swank were all solid. The only thing this movie lacks is closure.
Rated 22 Mar 2008
If not for the cast and director, this would have been seen for what it was: a liftime movie with stock characters and no plot or character development. But add Clint Eastwood and it's an Oscar winner.
A good movie, not "feel good" but still an amazing story. It's about Clint Eastwood finding a baby with a million dollars hidden inside it. like Blank Cheque but for grown ups!
Pathetic. Eastwood won the oscar in this cry me a river story.
Powerful.
Masterful film by Clint. Very intimate, with a controversial ending that doesn't pull any punches.
Rated 11 Jul 2008
Very slow, but worth watching.
Rated 04 Jan 2009
Brilliant
Rated 31 Jan 2010
Clint is a great director. This is a pretty, lovely, sad masterpiece. Swank simply shines. Freeman is one of the best in all times and here finally he wins his first (!) Academy Award, his perfomance is brilhant. Clint in one of his best acting jobs. A really great movie.
Rated 23 Feb 2007
Eastwood's interactions with his conscience throughout the film provide a base for the upsetting conclusion.
Rated 26 Oct 2012
Well acted, unpredicatable, but typically Eastwood in being technically uninteresting.
Rated 30 Apr 2008
I read a whole book once. It wasn't that hard but once I finished I was totally like, 'what was that all about?'.
Good script, actors,play and film.
Rated 14 Feb 2010
Eastwood is a genious. Freeman's voice over is great. Swank is a very good actress but I don't think she was the best of that year. Staunton was terrifc in Vera Drake. Haggis script is so good that people thought they were all emotional on Swank's account which is not true. Nonetheless, a classic in all its glory. I have cried a lot again today for the hundredth time.
Rated 29 Nov 2006
A true, moving drama by a director who seems to make better movies the older he's getting. Eastwood deserved the oscar for this as did Hilary Swank with her great performance. Great film.
Rated 06 Jul 2010
Dois atributos separam Eastwood do restante dos cineastas atuais: serenidade e lucidez, em proporções incomparáveis. Neste pungente exame sobre realização pessoal (ou o não alcance dela), a vitória é alcançada ao se perseverar em busca da concretização de um sonho, tornado um objetivo, uma vacina contra o arrependimento e a amargura. Drama singelo, profundo sobre dilemas íntimos tão elementares quanto universais.
Rated 27 Apr 2007
Don't like the way it ends, but Eastwood is awesome
Rated 15 Oct 2008
Amazing performances from the 3 leads. Swank is awesome in her role, playing it as though she lived it.
Rated 30 Oct 2009
Great acting by Clint Eastwood and Hilary Swank in the story of one woman's rise to fame in the world of boxing. The movie provokes interesting thoughts on morality, asking us what we would do in her coach's situation. The movie is engrossing throughout, making us empathize with Swank's character at her highs and lows.
Rated 23 May 2013
Most of the acting is great, although not Eastwood's or Freeman's best performance. Swank stands out in a very hard role but the movie itself is a real downer. I will admit I learned more about boxing in this film than I have watching a bunch of other films. Sadly once the boxing ends in the movie we are stuck with a sad sack hospital drama that aims to make you feel really bad and it does. They attempt one final thing at the end to bring you some hope but then it's snatched away.
Rated 20 Jan 2013
Meh. Typical melodramatic, sentimental Hollywood, with an overbearing score.
Rated 14 Nov 2014
Classically effective and effortless .