Mistress America

Mistress America

2015

Rated 17 Sep 2015
Hmpf. Here's the deal with Baumbach, at least as I see it. I've purposefully avoided his earlier stuff that, from a distance, seems like it's just not for me. They could be great; I have no idea. But his recent string of low-stakes comedies about VERY specific (and borderline unlikable) characters really hits my sweet spot. Doesn't hurt that I think the world of Gerwig. Kirke brings it, too. But I'm wondering, Noah...is this it? Might be time to branch out again. Just sayin'.
Rated 08 Sep 2015
Whereas Frances was a genuine soul adrift in a city full of social chameleons and ladder climbers, Brooke is somewhat her opposite in that she is so driven by wild capitalist ideals and her interests that she never settles into anything. People keep saying that this film is fake/bullshit, but it clearly seems like the personalities and actions of these characters are augmented for comedy and I don't hold that against MA whatsoever. This was uplifting and hilarious, I laughed the entire time.
Rated 21 Nov 2015
Baumbach channelling Hal Hartley by way of screwball comedy.
Rated 24 Aug 2015
Dazzling and witty. A masterful high-speed, low-stakes comic gem. It has gotten to the point where it feels like Baumbach is making these movies inside my head - especially since he uses "Souvenir," my favorite fucking OMD song, and a song that I've dreamed about using in a movie since the first time I heard it. This is comedic filmmaking of the highest order, and it put a big dumb smile on my face, and it's probably my favorite Baumbach movie. The Connecticut scene is the apex of his career.
Rated 27 Feb 2016
Gerwig's seemingly umpteenth portrayal of a self-absorbed dreamer who doesn't really want to work too hard is a big improvement over her last one in Frances Ha. Thankfully the film sets up an actual goal and conflict for her fairly quickly this time (rather than have her bounce around pointlessly for 30 mins), and most importantly is a coming-of-age story about a more relatable character. The prose passages are also beautifully written and suggest Baumbach & Gerwig could craft a nice short story
Rated 04 Jan 2016
Before and after a weird frazzle middle-episode, there is a great Baumbach/Gerwig-movie in here.
Rated 10 Jun 2016
Definitely a return to Baumbach's early stuff but this is probably better than any of those movies. Such a quick pace and tons of wit. Typical Baumbach stuff about facing adulthood and what aging means. "I saw Nirvana and this was pre Nevermind"
Rated 29 Jan 2016
Nice little comedy my fondness for which may have been heightened a little by the fact that when, a couple of months ago, I was for the first time in New York City, every morning I breakfasted at Veselka. I like what Baumbach's trying to do, including that he's trying to write and make a few movies centred around women and women's relationships, and that he usually ruminates a bit on social media and related phenomena. And, contrary to common opinion it seems, I preferred this over FRANCES HA.
Rated 05 Feb 2016
Greta Gerwig is fantastic as a manic do-it-all stereotype of your standard Brooklyn hipster. She's impressive, but nothing about this movie really stands out. It's a farce, and outlandish at that, that never really connects. The dialogue and actions had me wondering if everyone was constantly high. They even mention it in the final act, an act that is so absurd I was sure they *were* high, until someone mentions not being able to find the pot. Boorish and mediocre hipster fodder.
Rated 04 Nov 2015
For much of its running time, it's good - even great - but in many ways wholly unoriginal for its genre. Then they head to Connecticut and out of nowhere there's this incredible hilarious beautifully-shot farce and it's one of the best times I've had in a cinema all year
Rated 16 Dec 2015
The characters were a bit too inorganic, but for most of the film everything just kept hitting the marks so well it hardly mattered. It had plenty of funny moments and the characters, while clear archetypes, brought some depth to the comedy. The ending is a bit of a let down, though. Instead of ending on the most natural beat, or even the next scene with a hint of closure, it tries to wrap things up and reveals all the strings holding the film together. I enjoyed the rest enough to not mind much
Rated 05 Sep 2015
This movie made me so unbelievably happy that I literally couldn't stand myself or more accurately it made me so uncontrollably giddy while simultaneously making me despise the fact that what I was watching wasn't real life. Never have I ever wanted to pause a movie and climb into its world as much as I have during this movie. Seriously every detail from the casting to the music feels like it was specifically hand picked just for me.
Rated 04 Sep 2015
Non-sequitur the movie. It's so phony throughout. No character feels even remotely real. It's trying to impose these observations about life and relationships but offers absolutely nothing of note or cleverness. It brings nothing to the cultural conversation. Which wouldn't be a bad thing if it wasn't so damned smug.
Rated 06 Sep 2021
Kind of treads the same water thematically as Frances Ha, but improves on it by just being so fun. The scene at the house in Connecticut is one of Baumbachs best. Really shows his strength in dialogue.
Rated 17 Jan 2016
For 90% of its running time, it is a joyous, breezy celebration of living. Pushes forward with the energy of both its leads. Unfortunately, Baumbach's attempts to add a bitter note do not go well - the scene where everyone sits around and damns Tracy after reading her story is awful. (it would have been a nice subversion of expectations if Brooke simply shrugged it off.) And the ending all follows from there.
Rated 14 Nov 2015
Greta Gerwig returns to the screen with all her goofy charm but with a sidekick this time, or rather a sparing partner in the person of Lola Kirke, matching Greta's new found egocentricity with a kind of social detachment that seems to oscillate between cute shyness and borderline sociopathy. Anyway, great acting from the 2 leads, I loved it
Rated 23 Sep 2015
The sequences in Connecticut have a fast-paced comedic timing and precision that sometimes feels lifted from British classics, but is wholly original on its own. The bookends are thoughtful, but don't pretend to be anything more than what they are. Claims that this film are phony or pretentious completely baffle me.
Rated 28 May 2016
Funny and clever bits, but ultimately too much gabbity gabby.
Rated 15 Aug 2015
Pretentious America, Pretentious New York, Fake Lives, Witty but Bullshit Movie.
Rated 11 Jan 2016
The quirkiness of the dialog almost - but not quite - ruins the genuineness of the characters. Still, I enjoyed this a lot. It's not quite up there with Frances Ha, and it's miles below The Squid and the Whale, but there's a lot of enjoyable stuff here.
Rated 11 Nov 2015
Baumbach in close to full-on screwball mode. His zaniest (and maybe funniest?) since Mr. Jealousy (maybe a coincidence?) Gerwig's goofy charm is used to good effect here, but measured against other performances rather than running the whole show. I can see how these characters could be annoying for some, but for me the exaggerated, more overtly comedic delivery puts it above Frances Ha (and yet it also feels more substantial than While We're Young). Really great, OMD-heavy soundtrack too.
Rated 26 Feb 2017
God underhållning för stunden, men inte - tror jag - en film man minns dagen efter. Till skillnad från Baumbach/Gerwigs förra film Frances Ha saknas här ett tydligt ärende. Filmen är smart, men ganska ytlig.
Rated 05 Apr 2016
Another solid film from Baumbach who is turning into a Woody Allen 2.0. If his previous (While We're Young) started out really strong but became a bit cliched towards the ending, this one is more consistent but turns too comedic. Gerwig's character seems like a remix of Frances Ha, but this time the film is from the perspective of Lola Kirke's younger character. It doesn't break any new ground, but can be recommended to fans of Baumbach's previous work. Good 80's influenced soundtrack too.
Rated 08 Aug 2016
The film is at its best when Greta Gerwig is in full flight. She has an infectious charisma, and she lefts this film to a higher level. This is a bit of shame because this film promised a lot but, it almost felt like it didn't know where to go. The first half, is energetic and fun but it stalls in the second half and becomes just an okay drama.
Rated 08 Nov 2015
hipsters... sheeeesh
Rated 21 Apr 2017
Seen: 2x
Rated 11 Jan 2016
the world is really changing.
Rated 08 Jul 2016
Slight, but extremely entertaining, with some wonderful details/touches along the way. Having watched "Mozart in the Jungle" and now this, I'm having real trouble understanding Lola Kirke's supposed appeal. Gerwig was excellent, and Matthew Shear made every scene he was in more interesting.
Rated 04 Mar 2016
One can readily see both Gerwig's and Baumbach's fingerprints all over this film with its delightful if uneven fusion of their screwball and cynical sensibilities.
Rated 22 Jan 2016
frances ha'nın spiritüel takipçisi gibi olmasıyla iyi bir şey mi yapıyor kötü mü bilmiyorum, ama nesli tükenmekte olan karakterlere dair böylesine sevimli ve kurcalayıcı seyirlikler izletmek baumbach ve gerwig birlikteliğinin hayran kalınası bir yanına dönüştü artık. mizahı güzel, izlemesi keyifli, arkaya yaslanmış endişeli ruh halinin filmlerinin kişisel alan ötesinde fazla yer bulmamasını beklememek gerekir, o yüzden abartılı laflardan kaçınıyorum.
Rated 19 Aug 2018
I've never seen this many honest people in the same room.
Rated 21 Jan 2020
The initial burst of energy from Gerwig almost completely fools you into thinking this is an inversion of Baumbach's usual old losers, but then it all unravels in a dizzyingly fast setpiece so quotable it's impossible to pick just one. If there's a Baumbach for every age range of fuckups I feel like this one's currently mine. Also maybe his best looking pic yet, some of the NYC shots are just stunning. "you're either a zen master or a sociopath" -every Baumbach character ever
Rated 21 Mar 2020
A New York piece with great dialogue and Woody Allan vibes all over the place. A beautiful soundtrack and atmosphere really ties it together. My only issue is with odd character development towards the end, which I understand the goal of, but it seems a bit forced. This movie travels at light speed and rarely stops. Hits you fresh breeze and leaves before you know it. It's enjoyable even though we could do without all the teen drama. Greta and Lola are simply wonderful. Chernus is a fluffy bear.
Rated 20 May 2020
Has some of my absolute favourite lines by Baumbach but the emotional core of "Mistress America" is too often undercut by plot contrivances to unveil its comedy. The Connecticut sequence especially felt unnerving to me, and was one of many times where the film worked against its own beauty to get a laugh. Weird one.
Rated 09 Aug 2020
While Gerwig plays Brooke with her typical offbeat charm, her character is completely unlikable, if not insufferable, lacking the vulnerability and innocence that made Frances Ha so memorable and endearing. Could'be been great but it contains few elements worth connecting to or wholeheartedly embracing. My least favourite from Baumbach.
Rated 04 Dec 2020
It's full of itself, too cute, rapid-fire, and too heightened where it comes off as fake. These can't be real people, can they? At the same time, it is funny, quotable, and rewarding.
Rated 08 Jan 2024
Kind of like a much weirder and poorly edited version of Frances Ha if a 30 year old was lost and clueless…it’s sort of like listening to a blonde woman with Alyson Hannigan’s voice wine and shout for an hour straight.
Rated 06 Jan 2016
Greta's great as ever (her mixture of Holly Golightly, Michelle from American Pie & the character Cher from Clueless is a winning one), while Kirke and Shear (especially) are also quite solid -- sadly, others' satirical send-ups of typical John Hughes tropes often lack insight and the Michael Chernus' farce in the middle nearly ruins the movie. It does end better than Baumbach's last film and, properly calibrated, I enjoyed my second viewing even more. Next up: revisiting Frances Ha
Rated 09 Dec 2017
"She was the last cowboy, all romance and failure. The world was changing, and her kind didn't have anywhere to go." The last lines of Mistress America both contextualised the film and appealed to my personal millenial sensibilities. The film itself has many hallmarks of a typical indie film; the snappy dialogue, the familiar characters that you'd never encounter in real life, the social commentary brought out through narcissism. Looking past the surrealism, there's actually a funny film.
Rated 09 Oct 2017
Mistress America is a story of self-discovery and identity. Through the ever-impressive Greta Gerwig and Lola Kirke, we see characters come to grips with life and adulthood. There's a sort of reality that's set during the whole film. Baumbach never manages to make his film looks like a film. It almost feels too realistic. His characters are so grounded in reality and the ones in Mistress America are no exception. Bar an underwhelming conclusion, this film has everything going for it.
Rated 29 Jun 2016
The brisk editing, the straightforward social banter. Everyone feels overcaffeinated and unnaturally honest. But somehow I buy it all. And I don't even care what it's trying to say, it's just a joy to witness. Also, between this and Mozart in the Jungle, you'd be hard pressed to find many actresses as captivating to watch on screen as Lola Kirke.
Rated 05 Jan 2016
A snappy, fun, little comedy. Gerwig is a delight, and Kirke shines as the best part of the film (the rock that holds this film together. Does this metaphor work? Do rocks hold things together? Ignore, please). I find Baumbach's work to be hit-or-miss. When it's a miss, I find it to be a tedious chore to finish. This film hits all the sweet notes, and nuzzles itself right into my soul.
Rated 01 Sep 2015
A really funny and charming movie. Didn't love it as much as Frances Ha, but will definitely return to this as well.
Rated 30 Dec 2016
Noah, you did it again. Music, talks, big city lights, breath of youth.
Rated 05 Sep 2015
Successfully reinvents the screwball comedy for the modern hipster world. Screwballs have always been hit-and-miss for me, as the characters and writing really has to grab me in order to keep my interest. I'm not sure I "got" all of the plot here on one viewing, but the characters made me laugh and I had fun with it.
Rated 18 Feb 2016
Star Rating: ★★★★
Rated 13 Apr 2016
I once lived in NYC and this movie compelled me to get quit of that cacophony of counterfeit human beings. For I am the last cowboy, all romance and failure, a beacon of hope for lesser people... Fuck Noah Baumbach with a rubber dick ($$$$$$). Looooove the cute soundtrack though.
Rated 10 Sep 2015
Some good moments, but most of the characters felt uncomfortable with their roles. This gives one the feeling nobody is actually talking to each other. Everyone's just reciting lines and playing a part. This seemed particularly obvious to me during the ensemble scenes, which I found awkward. Gerwig's character has no life plan and flies by the seat of her pants, which is in conflict with her outwardly gregarious nature. This seems to be the driving tension of the movie, I guess. I liked Kirke.
Rated 03 Sep 2015
Great dialogue in a straight-forward but highly enjoyable film.
Rated 02 Sep 2015
Gretta Gerwig is well cast as the infectiously energetic Brooke that she'd demonstrated as "Frances Ha", which was directed by Baumbach as well. Several witty, funny scenes.
Rated 06 Sep 2015
I can't really think of anything to say. It's good but the team have done better.
Rated 04 Dec 2015
Greta GOATwig
Rated 13 May 2017
Finally Noah Baumbach a movie that is watchable! Yes, it's still not perfect, but I did enjoy this movie. Greta Gerwig was adorable as ever and I really enjoyed Lola Kirke's performance. The rest of the supporting cast was also good in its own way. Still, the Baumbach curse remains... he still can't make a movie that isn't just another "day in the life" kind of film. I really hate that genre of films. It's like the reality TV form of movies...
Rated 27 Jun 2016
Its screwball timing feels really great, but I just can't stand anymore these millennials' dramas filled with cool, smart but ultimately bullshit people that I just love to hate.
Rated 06 Sep 2015
Probably the most enjoyable film of Noah Baumbach's career, Mistress America takes a lot of energy to watch because of its rapid-fire dialogue, heaps of social commentary, and interesting characters, but for those willing to put in the effort and for those who don't have an inherent disdain for Baumbach's films, it's well worth the watch. It's funny, smart, fascinating, features good performances, and will only set you back about 80 minutes.
Rated 21 Dec 2015
tracy's cracked iphone screen was the realest thing.
Rated 03 Jan 2016
I understand why people think this movie feels very fake, but I also assume they only watched half of it and then turned it off because the ending felt like an honest pay-off. It still didn't get me to like the first half much, but it at least got me to like the movie overall.
Rated 08 Nov 2015
This is whats considered a great comedy in 2015? What's the appeal? It's just a toned down version of what every TV show has done these past 15 years with artificial people reacting in a socially outrageous way and being incredibly one dimensional about it.... except here it's with bland forgettable characters who barely say anything interesting at all. Mistress America (2015) isn't terrible. Just very uneven, clearly getting too much praise compared to what it brings.
Rated 29 Aug 2015
watched: 2015, 2018
Rated 07 Oct 2015
Hilarious and addictive. Gerwig continues to prove she is the standout comedienne of her generation.
Rated 10 Nov 2015
I don t care what Baumbach/Gerwing do next- I am already into it
Rated 10 Jan 2016
I disliked pretty much everything about it.
Rated 09 Jan 2016
Fresh comedy that succeeds because of Gerwig's off-kilter yet winning persona. The film assiduously avoids cliche, undermining traditional narrative beats for something more interesting, more human. Baumbach does an excellent job layering the scenes upon one another, the dialogue often coming so fast that it's hard to keep up with every gag--in this way the film feels like it approaches screwball comedy. I also loved the tension between arrogance and fault developed in Gerwig's lead character.