0 film rankings

Molly's Game ()

Your Rating

The true story of an Olympic-class skier who ran the world's most exclusive high-stakes poker game and became an FBI target. Her players included movie stars, business titans and unbeknownst to her, the Russian mob. (imdb)

Invalid Trailer
If you'd like, provide a new one! Just enter the link to YouTube:

RatingsRatings
FindFind
CollectionsCollections
StatsStats
loading Loading Products from Ebay
Molly's Game belongs to 11 collections
1. Directorial debut (public: moderated by djross - 11 stars)
2. Based On True Events (public: moderated by Spunkie - 6 stars)
3. Gambling (public: moderated by djross - 1 star)
4. -On My Radar (public: moderated by KasperL - 1 star)
5. 90th Academy Reminder List (2017) (public: moderated by cowfrappe)
6. 75th Golden Globe Nominees - 2017 (public: moderated by cowfrappe)
7. 2018 (public: moderated by sproost)
8. Movies I've Seen In Theaters (private: SirStuckey)
9. 2017 Films to Watch (private: kendell)
10. 2018: Complete Watchlist (private: SageSledge)
11. Theatrical Watchlist '18 (private: SageSledge)
Browse the full list of collections
Show:
All Rankings | With Reviews
Order by:
TCI | Tier | Date Ranked | # Stars (Reviews)
Date User Score
Jan 21 Barxday
67T9
Jan 21 lethias
82T7
The movie does get you hyped and inspirational in odd kind of way. Movie's style is OK and characters are watchable although they do seem a lot of times over-played or too cliche.
Jan 21 forgopoulos forgopoulos
80T7
Jan 21 pinq09
50T5
Jan 21 nickv nickv
76T9
Jan 20 kgbelliveau kgbelliveau
96T10
Razor sharp dialogue and precise focus from Aaron Sorkin in his directorial debut. Chastain was sensational layering Molly Bloom with both tenacity and mystery. Her narrative is what drives the film forward a long with the chemistry and scenes she shares with Idris Elba. A fantastic high stakes drama with some great characters. It flies by right from the opening scene and never lets up thanks to the talented supporting cast who come and go to mirror the rise and fall of real life.
Jan 20 philamental philamental
71T6
I didn't (and still don't) know a thing about the real world events that inspired the book and subsequent film but I enjoyed the story as presented here. As you would expect, the Sorkin dialogue drives the entire movie in his usually snappy rapid fire style. As for his direction, I'm not so sure it measures up to his screen writing and the runtime feels a little long. I also have to say I didn't really think too much of Chastain, but then I never do for some reason which I honestly can't explain
Jan 20 SpeedlimiT SpeedlimiT
48T1
Jan 20 mich8bsp mich8bsp
75T6
Jan 20 Tavington Tavington
88T10
Sorkin did great job for his directorial debut but J.Chastain steals the show. After Miss Sloane this is the second time when she dominates screen and her narration captivates audience. Strong female roles are really her thing.
Jan 19 toro913
Jan 17 Fryter
78T6
Jan 17 Hofschneider Hofschneider
79T7
Sorkin at his worst. Chastain at her best. Ultimately Molly's Game is a failure. It never got me to root for it's main character, although (maybe because) it is trying so hard and the sorkinshe psychoanalysis was never flatter. And yet again... it was crazy entertaining!
Jan 17 mattmoyer33
Jan 17 bitterbill bitterbill
65T7
Jan 17 BasedOne
7T5
Jessica Chastain is a bad bitch.
Jan 17 feublo feublo
76T5
A well told story with great performances. Some parts of the script that felt factitious and a few scenes that I questioned Sorkin's depth. However, the actual story is definitely thought provoking on one's path in life and how they define success. Definitely a story to be told.
Jan 17 DrWade42
Jan 14 cruiser721
92T9
Jan 14 Gnalkthere Gnalkthere
84T7
I came into this film with the intent of picking out Sorkinisms - dialogue that Sorkin recycles or reuses throughout his career - but i had failed. I failed, primarily because i forgot to do that. I wasn't paying attention to spotting them, because the story was just that well done.
Jan 14 kastenm kastenm
8T9
Jan 12 AlexBrisson AlexBrisson
Jan 11 SirStuckey SirStuckey
65T5
Boy they really focused on how noble she was with not revealing names when we know Tobey McGuire was the asshole (who was made less of an asshole in the movie for some reason) and Affleck and A-Rod were involved and she has no real problem mentioning it now. Also whenever they had a character use poker lingo it sounded terrible. The acting is what makes this movie better than average and more watchable than the script and run time probably deserve.
Jan 11 trippingly trippingly
Jan 11 Bown Bown
80T6
Very entertaining and fun in that usual Sorkin way - not his best, but very far from his worst. Chastain gives an incredible performance, while the editing is propulsive and nicely paced except for when it slows down for these really unnecessary scenes with schmaltzy scores Sorkin included for some reason. And of course he had to have her shitty abusive father be redeemed at the end. But it’s a blast and having Michael Cera play Tobey Maguire is hilarious.
Jan 11 thorn969
57T6
Aaron Sorkin always has great rants in his scripts that sound like they're saying something profound but don't really seem to mean anything. That seems like this whole movie to me. It's a pleasant enough diversion...
Jan 10 eats_almonds eats-almonds
3T3
Jan 10 Darren Darren
61T4
I'm not one for talking at the movies but audible groan and oooofs heard when the Canucks game 7 loss flashed across the screen was warranted. I barely remembered what happened after b/c i became so distraught and my mind kept drifting back to that Canucks playoff run. I think she was not guilty or something. James Joyce was referenced.
Jan 10 Seethruskin Seethruskin
3T4
I just about walked out of the theatre when they showed the Canucks losing that game 7
Jan 10 Ringshifter Ringshifter
64T3
Jan 10 Scarface Scarface
75T8
Jan 10 NothingsGood NothingsGood
60T6
I could watch Chastain and Elba banter in Sorkinese forever and not get bored. Unfortunately, the writer lacks the directorial chops to carry his own words.
Jan 10 fletch
Jan 09 ethsings72
93T8
Jan 09 jacobclark12 jacobclark12
89T9
Aaron Sorkin’s directorial debut goes about how you might expect: there’s a great screenplay and lots of potential, but decisions made in the edit slightly hamper Molly’s Game’s pace, making the film a bit too long. The performances here are stellar though, especially those of Elba and Chastain; their chemistry also makes their back-and-forth attorney-client relationship believable. This is a highly entertaining and never boring film, even though it does feel more loose than it should.
Jan 08 Reavic
50T6
Jan 08 yoohoo883 yoohoo
80T7
A focused and tight drama about a woman who was bound to leave her mark on the world, and did. There was one bit at the end that felt forced to a point of being contrived, but other than that Sorkin does a great job in his directorial debut. Quick dialogue and a lot of wit in this.
Jan 08 badjuice bad_juice
Jan 07 filmaffinity filmaffinity
70T8
Jan 07 fredericg54 frederic_g54
5T3
Amidst the cultural tidal wave of the #MeToo movement, MG couldn't have hit theaters at a more opportune time: the story of a headstrong and defiant young woman trying to make her mark in a staunchly patriarchal society. At least, this is the idealised version of reality Sorkin presents us with, when in fact, Bloom was nothing but a naive opportunist in way over her head who, instead of serving time for her illegal activities, somehow got a free pass and an interview on Ellen DeGeneres. MURICA!
Jan 06 Derek_ii Derek_
40T6
Jan 06 TheRealJ_Ro TheRealJ-Ro
85T9
Jessica Chastain could not be more of a treasure if she tried - but she certainly gives it her all in this kinetic, driven performance of a woman with axes to grind and an unwavering demand to succeed. Sorkin delivers an excellent time-hopping screenplay that never detaches the audience from the narrative, and grounded, competent direction. This story is unbelievable and at the same time, very much believable, bolstered by a talent-laden supporting cast. Elba kills. This was an absolute treat.
Jan 06 0x1337
Jan 02 tehmarvelman
84T5
Jan 02 cowfrappe cowfrappe
71T7
An exciting directorial debut from Sorkin with great performances all around, but there's an undeniable cheesy factor.
Jan 01 subhasg
97T7
Jan 01 INDYATMN
68T3
Presumably Sorkin - a super-successful & seemingly intelligent ex-addict - empathizes a great deal with Molly Bloom's travails even though they're entirely the result of a shady career choice she certainly didn't need to make. He likes her so much, he even seems to believe that despite her decision to make her fortune in the legally iffiest way possible, she's simultaneously a paragon of integrity, a casino w/ a heart of gold... His exhausting rat-a-tat-tat dialogue didn't help me buy any of it.
Jan 01 davidim
69T2
Dec 31, 2017 stuie299 stuie299
85T8
While a little monotonous at times this is an otherwise very well told story. There is one mildly hokey scene towards the end, but Sorkin's dialogue is mostly on point and when combined with Chastain plus Elba's performances those later elements for the most part win out.
Dec 31, 2017 clayj41 clayj41
Dec 30, 2017 DannyPizdetz
90T6
Dec 30, 2017 WBadger WBadger
33T4
Dec 30, 2017 Matthew_Parkinson Matthew Parkinson (CineMarter)
80T9
Molly’s Game is a solid directorial debut for Aaron Sorkin. It has an interesting plot that’s told well. It has strong dialogue, engaging characters, just enough comedy, and a great performance from Jessica Chastain. It’s a bit long and might not be as well-rounded as some other Sorkin efforts—it’s singularly focused on Molly; its supporting cast members are intriguing but the film doesn’t do much with them—but it’s quite a bit of fun and certainly a story worth telling. [Full Review]
Dec 29, 2017 ThirdAct
60T8
Dec 29, 2017 thebalkabaa thebalkabaa
Dec 29, 2017 Stewball Stewball
90T10
The dialogue, including the narration, IS the story--and few could deliver it as powerfully as Chastain does.
Dec 29, 2017 CStuckmann CStuckmann
95T9
Dec 28, 2017 CarsonWid
80T9
Great script and pacing from Sorkin, all performances were nailed, and stayed on track the whole time. Was worried that Sorkin would let the dialogue overpower the story, but that never happened. Always felt focused.
Dec 28, 2017 dhartle
Dec 13, 2017 filmguy
Nov 30, 2017 Bunken Bunken
Nov 30, 2017 Xenophule Xenophule
10T9
Watch: Theater isn't required, but a damn good story | The pacing is excellent, the characters are well done, the story has the excitement of a heist movie but is careful to have us rooting for the main character because she actually did no wrong and is a good person. There's a couple parts that are super cheesy, but I forgive them because the rest is so well told.
Nov 30, 2017 Devilishmess
9T10
Nov 29, 2017 wetwillies wetwillies
60T2
Viewed November 28, 2017.
Sep 23, 2017 Ofterdingen Ofterdingen
73T9
Moneyball - The Poker Edition.
Average Tier 6.55 from 141 Rankings rss