Criticker.com - Film & TV Recommendations and Community
profile
0 rankings

Murder on a Sunday Morning (2001)

Your Rating
500 characters left

Summary: Oscar-winning documentary that documents a murder trial in which a 15-year-old African-American is wrongfully accused of a 2000 murder in Jacksonville, Florida. (imdb)

Genres: Documentary, Crime

More information at IMDb

Ratings
loading Loading Products from Ebay
Murder on a Sunday Morning belongs to 19 collections
1. New York Times' The Best 1,000 Movies Ever Made (public: moderated by theficionado - 23 stars)
2. Criticker: Neglected Gems (public: moderated by theficionado - 20 stars)
3. Best of criticker: Top 250 (public: moderated by avgcrtckr - 10 stars)
4. Best of criticker: Documentary (public: moderated by avgcrtckr - 9 stars)
5. Best of criticker: Crime (public: moderated by avgcrtckr - 5 stars)
6. True crime (public: moderated by djross - 4 stars)
7. Oscar Winner: Best Documentary, Feature (public: moderated by sengir - 1 star)
8. Best of criticker: 2001 (public: moderated by avgcrtckr)
9. TOP 100 of the past 100 years (public: moderated by avgcrtckr)
10. List: Best of the Decade by The Documentary Blog (private: KasperL - 5 stars)
11. Aughties Films to See (private: theficionado - 2 stars)
12. Djross anatomy of a murder (private: djross - 2 stars)
13. Rated (private: giska - 1 star)
14. Ignored Films (your private collection) | remove from collection
15. Remembered Films (your private collection) | remove from collection
16. 2016 (private: sproost)
17. Criticker Wishlist (your hidden collection) | remove from collection
18. Criticker Wishlist (your hidden collection) | remove from collection

Browse the full list of collections
Show:All Rankings | With Reviews
Order by:TCI | Tier | Date Ranked | # Stars (Reviews)
TCI User Score
AKS
72T8
jstry jstry
87T9
Captivating story. All de Lestrade had to do was tell it and he did a great job of that. Patrick McGuinness rules!
pup pup
8T9
jonas01radio jonas01radio
kyleloomis kyle.loomis
9T10
After seeing so many courtroom documentaries, I'm glad to see one that actually gives me hope in the system.
LouisMazzini LouisMazzini
micmac micmac•
83T10
begoniabol begoniabol
93T10
Incredibly suspensful documentary. I felt so sorry for the boy who was accused and for the family. The ending is just incredible, the verdict was so chilling. I could feel the joy when he got released. Also a good insight how it's really like in a courtroom.
Seethruskin Seethruskin
9T9
rambo
Risselada Risselada
95T10
psych0naut psych0naut (The Socialist Standard)
AceySaid10 AceySaid10%
88T10
djross djross
75T9
Documentary that demonstrates the clear fact that it remains the case that to be poor, black, young and male in the United States is to be at substantial risk of falling prey to an American criminal justice system that is still frequently biased, underfunded and/or inept.
sensei sensei
90T10
Very moving. My main complaint is that I wanted to hear more from the prosecution: we only get the defense perspective for many witnesses.
Jerky Jerky
86T10
midnighter
fuckchops fuckchops
85T9
I saw this after Lestrade's 2004 ''The Staircase' (which I cannot muster enough hyperbole to recommend - GO GET IT NOW)... I won't give anything away except my two thumbs, which are pointing up. In the same vain as Errol Morris' 'The Thin Blue Line' and 'Paradise Lost': a true life court drama that leaves you seething with frustration at the inept, prejudiced and seemingly corrupt way justice seems doled out...something like that, (go listen to '...And Justice For All' afterwards)...um yeah:
th14arsenal
91T8
Henrik Henrik
Bondo
FarCryss Suture Self
80T8
Eerily reminiscent of To Kill a Mockingbird. It's sad to see that society still has a long long way to go but thankfully, shown through people like Patrick McGuinness, there are still those who are willing to defend what's right. A powerful and eye opening documentary.
sunno sunno
97T10
TalkShowH finkly
WWallce4prez WWallce4prez
82T8
The Bad: The Defense's absurdly large pocket squares. The extremely corny soundtrack. The Good: Everything else. A full-access look into a terribly mishandled criminal investigation. Zero clutter, and straight forward story telling.
magpieb52
frnk23 frnk23
the mind boggles...
Jazzaloha
58T3
I saw this a while ago, but I remember thinking the defense lawyer wasn't very good.
TRobertson
Bandy Bandy
93T10
FitFortDanga MartinTeller
87T9
Absolutely compelling courtroom drama. If you needed any more proof that cops are corrupt, inept, lying scumbags, here you go. Patrick McGuinness and the other public defenders are true heroes.
Veterini Veterini
muku25
81T9
rafalivrari rafa_livrari
92T10
A great documentary. A good insight how it's really like in a courtroom. I can't imagine that there are people who would do anything to keep their jobs safe even if that means putting an innocent boy in jail for the rest of his life. Mankind is disgusting.
FreddieQuell FreddieQuell
payens payens
86T8
forehead1
70T9
Very good fly-on-the-wall documentary covering a murder trial, which would've received a higher rating had I not watched de Lestrade's own follow-up - the much longer, more in-depth, but similar 'Staircase' - just a couple of months beforehand. This one leans (even) more toward the defendant, concentrating on his lawyer & family's perspective of the case before moving into the courtroom. Waiting for the verdict is every bit as suspenseful as with Michael Peterson though.
BubaMata BubaMata
70T6
jenniferever jenniferever
hellsditch hellsditch
85T9
Couldn't pay me to have turned this off. It's hard to judge how much of it's effectiveness can be chalked up to the filmmakers, and how much can be attributed to the story itself, but I think that de Lestrade chose wisely by making the production as clutter-free as possible, while making room for small details like the droning hum of a car on a highway and the deathly creak of a judge's chair. A real life procedural, that never really pretends to be balanced, crafted with care and precision.
gregory.gutt
97T10
Terrifying and relieving.
doctor7 doctor7
90T10
Excellent documentary, absolutely excellent. It feels like Law & Order but in real life. Patrick McGuinness and the other public defenders are true heroes in my books for fighting the blantent disregard for proper police work and those detectives involved should be absolutely ashamed of themselves, not just because they almost put an innocent boy behind bars but because they almost let the real killer go free. Absolutely disgraceful but incredible documentary.
AndoDoug AndoDoug