1999
Fantasy
By day, they're a bunch of losers, but by night, they're the Mystery Men...a rag team of superhero wannabes who emerge from the darkness to fight the evil madman Cassanova Frankenstein and his disco-dancing henchmen. (Universal Pictures)

1999
Fantasy

Rated 05 Sep 2018
This is every movie you like and talk up to friends then watch with friends who sit there in dead silence and still sit there in dead silence when it’s over.
Very watchable, and alot of fun. This film has charm and fresh jokes, unlike many recent comedies.
A good comedy that delivers some great laughs here and there. Honestly I don't enjoy Ben Stiller one bit but the rest of the cast make this movie quite enjoyable. As a note William H. Macy is absolutely hilarious as The Shoveler.
Rated 11 May 2020
Pacing issues aside, this is a superhero movie with heart and you don't find that everywhere. I'm looking directly at you, Disney Marvel
It's got an excellent comedic cast (even William H). The story is a tad corny (so was the comic, so I guess that's the point) but it's still pretty fun throughout. Greg Kinnear is great in his time in the film, and you get to see what kind of villain Geoffrey Rush was before Pirates.
Rated 07 Jun 2020
Yeah it's not as bad about halfway through once the gang clicks together, but it takes a long time to get there. William Macy does his usual troubled man stuff. Ben Stiller is usual Ben Stiller. The process of getting to the end was a lot more interesting than the resolution. Fav scene: tryouts before Janeane Garafalo showed up.
Rated 07 Nov 2008
Too quotable for it's own good. "He can, like, cut guns in half... with his mind!"
Rated 25 Mar 2007
A lot of comedic talent wasted on a shitty script. The premise is solid, the characters are interesting, but the jokes fall flat and there doesn't seem to be any real chemistry that exists between any two elements of this film.
Rated 25 Feb 2017
Back when super hero movies were more a novelty and not the norm audiences expect today, this super hero satire is an unexpected delight. Wonderful casting carries the film, but unfortunately there are not enough laughs to make it anything more than average.
Rated 18 Dec 2009
One of my favorite superhero films. These cut-rate heroes are just my style.
Rated 14 Mar 2008
Surprisingly good movie despite the fact Ben Stiller is involved. Even he manages to be entertaining, as the movie is well written.
Probably the best superhero movie ever. The Shoveler rules.
Rated 01 May 2009
Another movie I probably like a lot more than I should, but I think this movie is hilarious.
Rated 15 Sep 2007
Could have been better, but this movie is still entertaining. The visuals, as well as the cast, are impressive.
Rated 21 Sep 2010
This movie shouldn't work but it does. It is sly, strange and has great casting.
Rated 19 Oct 2010
Given the premise and the cast, this film falls wicked hard onto its own face and it's a shame. Comedies are funny throughout, not intermittently.
Rated 07 Aug 2023
It's got a few funny moments and a decent premise, for the time especially. However ,the action, the plotting and so much more land like a lead balloon. The futuristic city is never explained or developed. Kinnear's character makes no sense to me (smart enough to make the plan he does but otherwise completely incompetent), the cartoon gangs are uninteresting. Some of the actors are sleeping. The Sphinx rules though. Slapdash. This was released the same year as The Matrix, for Allah's sake.
Rated 06 Jun 2015
Way better than I had anticipated, that's for sure. Mystery Men works quite well wit hit's slyness and strange yet likable characters. Acting is pretty solid and it's actually pretty funny. Quotable as well. I'd say it's worth a watch.
Rated 30 Dec 2022
Just a couple years prior to the Marvel explosion, the world of superhero movies was still a sordid mess of corniness and often times intentional lampooning of the medium of comics themselves. "Mystery Men" might not be serious, but it has its moments where it is fun, and now in hindsight, it's about the last time Hollywood took a roll of the dice on an asinine superhero movie like this.
I laughed, but I admit--this was pretty bad.
Rated 01 Sep 2014
Successfully capitalizes on what every superhero movie is lacking nowadays: flatulence.
Rated 24 Apr 2022
Funny and wholesome superhero comedy
Rated 10 Sep 2008
Question: if everyone agrees they like the movie more than they should, doesn't that make it a good movie? A perfect blend of parody and dark, bizarre humor, bolstered by one of the 90's strongest supporting casts makes this a different kind of gem. Only thing I ever liked Dane Cook in.
Like most Bob Burden stuff, it tries too hard to operate outside the mainstream and ends up seeming "quirky for quirky's sake". However, there's some funny stuff, especially from Hank Azaria.
Was ok in 1999, but as far as superhero comedy goes, watch The Incredibles instead.
Rated 22 Nov 2012
Good flick with lots of light humor, just plain old fun. And it has Tom Waits! Kind of trashy at times, but never really embarrassing. Well, almost. And hey, the bad guy is called Cassanova Frankenstein! That alone makes it worth watching.
Rated 16 Jul 2008
The original "superhero screwup" comedy. Campy and clever in equal measure with a cast so hip and edgy they could start their own grunge rock band.
Rated 03 Aug 2007
I'm obviously in the minority here, but I think "Mystery Men" is a very enjoyable comedy. The wannabe heroes are great characters and casted perfectly.
Rated 19 Apr 2009
Every once in a while the parody works but mostly it just feels like a bad comedy. Decent cast though.
Rated 26 Feb 2007
Odd.
A currious oddity in the superherro film genre. Thier powers are dubious at best, but certainly amusing.
Rated 02 Jul 2009
Good fun with some zany characters and a nice, light-hearted tone.
Rated 18 Mar 2007
It's so stupid and it sorta works in a way. I love the guy who's only invisible when nobody is looking at him.
Rated 21 Aug 2007
Good
Rated 03 Apr 2007
COME ON YOU KNOW IT WAS GOOD.
Rated 23 May 2007
A horrific film with a cast that is capable of so much more. I literally had to turn this one off.
Rated 28 Sep 2010
Uuugh what was I thinking when I bought this film? Oh yeah.. I was 14. That makes it alright.
Rated 18 Apr 2012
A movie I remember loving and thinking was underrated at the time. But also a movie I'm afraid to revisit for fear that it will disappoint so much
Rated 08 Aug 2023
It starts off kind of slow, with lots of unfortunate and obvious '90s jokes, but around the 40-minute mark the other characters start coming in and it really picks up and gets Fun and Silly in the way you want over-the-top superhero-comedy to be. Minus points for the exhaustingly normie Ben Stiller love interest plotline, but overall recommended.
Rated 27 Aug 2015
Champion City already has a superhero, the appropriately named Captain Amazing (Greg Kinnear), but that doesn't deter the city's seven quirky amateur crime-fighters, who use the Captain's capture at the hands of villain Casanova Frankenstein (Geoffrey Rush) as motivation to prove themselves. The only problem is that their strange powers -- silverware hurling, bowling, shovel skills, incompetent invisibility and deadly flatulence -- aren't doing them any favors.
Rated 10 Sep 2011
Favorite movie cameos: The Not-So-Goodie Mob and Michael Bay.
Rated 06 Jan 2013
A good example of what happens when a movie becomes what it should be jabbing.
Rated 31 Dec 2008
I actually know some real life super heroes, though they don't claim to have actual powers like these guys. Anyway, fantastic twist film before it became vogue to do it. Which there were more. And Hank Azaria should be in everything
Rated 20 Nov 2012
no no no no no
Rated 04 Jul 2017
Juvenile and masculine; a very specific kind of queasy Nickelodeon kitsch endemic to '94-'04, eg. The Mask, The Flintstones, Shrek, Austin Powers, Spy Kids, The Master of Disguise, etc. But its disappointing moments don't linger, and it's good-natured enough to not be too irritating even at its corniest. Tough to pick a favorite cast member; all of them have simple yet memorable characters, and a handful of good lines each.
Dane Cook is awesome as the Waffler.
Rated 30 Jan 2015
Haven't seen this movie in a while, but I remember it being pretty bad.
Rated 23 Dec 2013
An okay movie with one hysterical moment.
Rated 16 Apr 2011
It's silly and fun. It's got some good characters and is good for a watch. I don't see myself rewatching it, though.
Some funny moments, with some less funny ones interspersed.
Rated 19 Dec 2013
A decent superhero comedy movie. It had a few laughs, and the story kept my attention. The superhero identities were appropriately stupid. Mr. Furious's relationship with the waitress felt kind of sudden, but it wasn't a big deal. All of the characters were atleast ok, but The Shoveler was the only one who didn't annoy me at least once. The villains were goofy, but in a good way. The two disco villains were pretty funny.
Rated 20 Mar 2007
Not bad, not good, just kind of there.
Rated 07 Aug 2012
It's kind of a wonder that so many great stars got hooked into such an awful movie.
Rated 03 Oct 2007
A waste of time, to put it nicely.
Rated 25 Feb 2011
Just the worst.
Rated 16 Jun 2012
Go Pee-Wee.
Rated 22 Dec 2006
Groanworthy. A few decent moments, but it's more a blemish on the resumes of such fine actors as Macy, Izzard and Rush, and to a lesser extent, Stiller and Azaria. Not worth watching.
A full 60 just for Tom Waits
When I first saw this, I thought it was one of the worst movies I'd ever seen. It was just awful. Over time, I've kind of mellowed out about this, and taken it as the superhero spoof it is, and enjoyed the "what if" possibilities it suggests into a hero's world. I still dislike it, but not as greatly, and I can appreciate what the filmmakers wanted to do.
Rated 29 Aug 2007
Could have been better, still funny.
Rated 13 Nov 2007
Ugh, another Ben Stiller movie that could have been SOOOOO much better.
Rated 24 Jul 2011
Considering the current film climate, this self-aware superhero parody seems a bit ahead of its times conceptually, but while it has a lot of good ideas, the execution leaves something to be desired. The last act is a bit too cookie-cutter for the oddball film that precedes it. Greg Kinnear is so perfect in this film, even if his role is limited. Rush goes wasted as the villain and Stiller is a touch annoying, but Macy, Studi and Azaria make it worthwhile. It could be better, but it's not bad.
Rated 09 Jan 2012
4- might want to skip this one, not that hot
Rated 16 Sep 2013
Why this thing is 2 hrs long is beyond me. I fell asleep about 80 mins in & can't help but feel I came out ahead on that exchange
Rated 03 Mar 2024
Top badass moment? The ‘off-label’ use of what I'd call a round-mouthed shovel; a nice one too, with its D handle and stainless-steel blade. A film far better than its parts, it includes the gorgeous Janeane Garofalo and a “Now That’s What I Call Disco” soundtrack. It should inspire everyone to do their civic duty, as I did recently by admonishing a guy who didn’t appreciate the Hierarchy of Road Users and then confirmed this by deliberately running me over. No cats, chainsaws or decapitations.
Rated 15 Jan 2009
Is ok
Rated 18 Feb 2010
Sort of a funny camp premise about lame people as superheroes but it's entirely too polished and quirky for quirkiness' sake. The jokes do fall flat more often than not and it seems like each standup comedian in this film had a little too much control which resulted in a lot of gag pulling so they could get in their allotted face time. It's humorous enough to make you laugh at least once though.
This picture is trying so hard ya gotta like it. Like a flashbulb going off in your face, if it's not the costumes its the sets or the kinetic frantic camera & characters. Stupid silly & empty hollow, never a dull moment nor a terribly interesting one.
Rated 26 May 2007
Hilarious.
Very strange, but fun to watch.
Rated 12 Jun 2013
A movie that I should really love on paper - good cast, good concept, some excellent production design which seems to parody the Schumacher-era superhero movies - but something just doesn't click. It's a bit long, gags run on for a lot longer than they should, and overall it's maybe just directed in a style that's not to my liking. Maybe with stronger direction and a leaner narrative it could have great, but it's just OK to me.
Rated 25 Feb 2015
I was brought to this movie by haters, and loved it. So screw the haters eh. Now that's how you do comedy! I just wish it had less fat humor, it went too heavy on that. The rest was mighty fine though, and I'm one who usually dislikes cheap comedy.
Rated 04 Mar 2009
Worst superhero movie :(
Brutal. One of the reasons I absolutely hated Ben Stiller. He has since redeemed himself to only a 'slightly loathe' level as an actor. I'd like him more if he didn't star in his own movies, b/c he writes some funny stuff and then ruins it with that weasel-face of his.
Rated 07 Jul 2009
Was it just me or was this movie completely ridiculous? The acting was definitly above par, but the plot was in so few words just myeh. This seemed to be one of the superhero tales that at the time of being released with other superhero movies such as Blankman, the Punisher (Dolph Lundgren), and Captain America, just downright done poorly. Maybe now that special effects have become so mesmerizing are we finally able to witness enthralling tales of superheros.
Rated 06 Mar 2008
"I don't need a compass to know which way the wind shines."
Rated 12 Apr 2020
I thought it was going to be way funnier. Hilarious premise, mediocre execution. Probably better suited to kids young enough to find it funny but old enough to get the humour.
Rated 05 Nov 2010
cant remember it, prolly bad
Rated 15 Oct 2008
Quite unusual, but there is a lot of quirky fun to be had here.
Rated 12 Jul 2007
A decidedly more sarcastic take on superheroes.
Rated 21 Dec 2009
Original and fun.
Rated 20 Mar 2020
Seen: 2.
Rated 26 Mar 2015
Mystery Men seems to be the forgotten superhero spoof that came before the likes of 'Kick Ass' and several other less notable films with same idea. Looking back this is a dated and somewhat cringeworthy watch, but at the time I recall enjoying this and the cast alone made it fun. Ben Stiller, Greg Kinnear & Geoffrey Rush are the most notable standouts. And I enjoyed William H. Macy as the Shoveler in particular. Many of the jokes fall flat, but there is enough silliness to carry the film.
Rated 30 Aug 2007
Hilarious! Everyone should give this a try. The humor is very basic put it's pulled off nicely.
Rated 01 Jan 2014
Probably would have liked it more if I were younger.
Rated 01 Mar 2007
Why Ben, why!?
Rated 15 Apr 2009
Funny but occasionally flat parody film that has a surprisingly strong cast. A good rent.
Janeane Garofalo and Ben Stiller...what's not to like?
Rated 03 Oct 2009
*sound of a toilet flushing*
Rated 15 Jun 2007
Not sure what to make of this one... first time it was dull and boring, but on seeing it again and again it actually grows on you. Still not the best Ben Stiller movie.
Rated 12 Jun 2007
Stoopid funny...LOL
Rated 21 Jul 2010
"vaya con dios"...Imao
A temporary distraction.
Rated 15 Sep 2010
Full of some really charming characters, but I was disappointed that the humor was closer to a Nickelodeon cartoon than an edgy underground comic book like it was based on.
Rated 30 Jan 2012
Surprisingly fun and charming. I actually didn't hate most of the cast.
Rated 05 Feb 2008
Actually I LOVE this flick, I suspect I AM the shoveller. Toe knee ;-)
Rated 20 Aug 2007
hilarious. Off kilter humour. Loved it.
Rated 21 Apr 2008
Has its moments. Briefly.
Rated 14 Dec 2012
This movie's awesome. Fuck you.
Rated 27 Jan 2013