Night on Earth
Night-on-Earth

Night on Earth

1991
Comedy, Drama
A collection of five stories involving cab drivers in five different cities.(imdb)
Amazon VideoCriterion ChannelMax Amazon ChannelMax

A mesmerizing collection of five stories from around the world, covering all human emotions from happiness to sorrow, optimism to cynicism, manic to depressed. The stories are apart from each other, but this doesn't hurt the movie itself - the last segment's emotional power is overwhelming even though preceded by Benigni's insane cab ride. Plus, how many american movies have segments in my home country? Jarmusch captures the finnish drunken mentality with honesty and precision.
Clever and overall a fun ride. Jarmusch once again takes us to a place that no other filmmaker does and gives us depression, good times and comedy all rolled into one.
Some sequences are better than others, but each of them fully displays Jarmusch's melancholy, surreal urban sensibility at its best. There's nobody I'd rather have take me on a night tour of a major city. My favorite is probably the NYC portion with Giancarlo Esposito as a brash, braggadocious street urchin.
5 different storys about Cab Drivers from New York 2 Paris.Every story has there own Charme. My favorite one is the New york Story with Armin-Mülle-Stahl. Really funny. Every Story is different...some are funny...some are sad ( especially the last one ) but overall it's a great Movie by Jarmusch, one of my favorite Independent Director's!
A very funny and very strange collection of vignettes about 5 different cab rides across the world. The last one feels a bit out of place, especially after Benigni's incredible 25 minutes, but it's still quite good.

Submitted byandrejandrej on 22 Mar 2006