Nightmare Alley

Nightmare Alley

2021

Rated 03 Feb 2022
Willem Dafoe wrangling up side show geeks is an infinitely better and gross movie snatched away too soon.
Rated 07 Mar 2022
The script is interesting despite being the least powerful component of the project. I enjoyed all of the subtle foreshadowing but I love to geek out about that kind of stuff.
Rated 04 Mar 2022
I use to think Guillermo Del Toro couldn’t make a bad movie. I still stand by this. Watching this right after the original was a good idea. It’s almost better in some ways. There’s a bit more character depth to some of the side characters and I actually prefer this last act over the originals, and I especially like that the final shot lingers as long as it does and just ends there. Beautifully made and really well acted. Definitely check it out if you’re a Toro fan.
Rated 18 Dec 2021
Overindulgent is how I'd describe Del Toro's latest take on the inhumanity of man. While I enjoy world building in storytelling, there was just too much of it during the 140 minute runtime without a satisfying payoff. And I'm not sure I've really cared about any of the characters in Del Toro's films since the kids in The Devil's Backbone.
Rated 07 Feb 2022
The first half of the movie is very solid and has some interesting scenes and an enjoyable atmosphere. The screenplay and the edition are very good until the point where the sessions with the psychologist initiate. From that point on the story gets more and more messy and obscure. The scene where Molly leaves Carlisle is terrible; the final deal with Grindle looks very supperficial; Ritter"s the supossed love for Carlisle also looks very artificial.
Rated 09 Feb 2022
2 movies in 1: the first 90 mins is a very interesting behind-the-scenes look at shady carny life which I really enjoyed, but that's all essentially a long prologue for the last hour which is a noir-ish morality play w/ a femme fatale who, unlike other fatales, has plenty of cash & so decides to ruin a man for no discernible reason. The lack of motivation sucked as did the idea of ethical con men. I could also see the ending coming. If it didn't look stunning, Id' have scored it worse.
Rated 03 Feb 2022
Didn't work for me at all. I really dislike this trend of movies being way longer than needed and feeling like compressed mini-series. I have trouble believing Bradley Cooper in any role. I didn't mind him here for the first 10 minutes, because he didn't speak until 11 minutes in. There are some really cringey lines; "I know that you're no good, and I know that 'cause neither am I," give me a break.
Rated 11 Feb 2022
Nightmare Alley is a two-and-a-half-hour film that spends the 1st hour on the set-up, the 2nd on a plot that comes from & ends up nowhere, the next half-hour frantically wrapping up in a haze of blood, gore & panic; saving the final minute to deliver a punchline that would have been funny had I embraced my inner misanthrope and not just sat through 2.5 hours of trivialities. Strong performances all round and a well-designed aesthetic can't save the film from just being unsatisfying.
Rated 31 Jan 2022
The first half, even two-thirds of the movies were nice. However, the ending managed to feel rushed and underdeveloped, which is an accomplishment for a runtime of 2+ hours.
Rated 02 Feb 2022
It was a wild ride in the underworld of the carnival. It has an incredible cast of excellent actors. Bradley Cooper was good as the lead. The pacing was excellent. Film quality, sound and music was good. I really enjoyed the twists and turns of the story. Some of the low points got very dark. Overall, It was entertaining and worthwhile.
Rated 02 Feb 2022
I was quite into the setting in the first hour at the circus. Then it got mangled and diffused.
Rated 04 Feb 2022
(I haven't seen the original 1947 movie I assume this is based on) An intriguing but lengthy opening act introduces a number of characters played by high profile names who ultimately get discarded and have little more to do for the remainder. The much better Noir focused second act ramps up the tension, but sadly by the time we get to the third and final act any mysteries or threads that were of interest are either forgotten or unsatisfactorily resolved. Shame, as it's such a good looking film
Rated 09 Feb 2022
The first act takes too long and drags, but I don't think the movie works as well if that was changed. Once you get into the second and third acts, it's really engaging and the way it wraps up is perfection. Del Toro always has this schlocky/pulpy sensibility that makes everything just a bit difficult to take seriously but also ups the fun factor.
Rated 17 Feb 2022
Not sure what attracted del Toro to the material other than the carnival setting but I felt the film was all over the place, jumping from one character interaction to the other, lacking a coherent through line that kept me invested throughout. Though I think this can mostly be ascribed to a poor editing job that made the film a chore to watch. A shame about its great cinematography going somewhat to waste.
Rated 25 Feb 2022
It looks great and it’s an engaging film, but it’s too long for how predictable it is. All its guns are labeled “Chekhov” and all but one (exchanging bill denominations was less of a twist than I wanted) fire accurately enough, but ultimately it would have been nice to be surprised. In the end I was entertained but underwhelmed.
Rated 26 Mar 2022
You’ll watch it through once. Aside Blanchett everyone felt limp and demure. Cooper especially seemed to be missing his usual brand of charm. It’s also recommended to watch this during the night - otherwise you won’t see half of what is happening on the screen.
Rated 23 Dec 2021
Total snore-fest that is apparently 40-minutes longer than the original. The long scenes with Blanchett & Cooper, where their back-and-forth is supposed to be electric like in golden age noir movies, instead fall totally flat.
Rated 03 Feb 2022
The carnival section is excellent. The final half hour or so is excellent. The transitional period between those two sections is what hurts it. The storytelling dips and is good but not amazing. However, the directing is top-notch. A moody, modern take on noir; drenched in atmosphere and dark lighting, inspired camera angles, a sense of impending doom (much like the fate of Cooper's character). Like others, I wish it was a little shorter because there's not enough meat to justify the length.
Rated 04 Jan 2022
del toro is really good at telling stories but he's prone to excess. pulpy cinematography might seem fitting to the script, but it works to highlight the excess to an unpleasant degree because the film takes itself too seriously. and that is the exact problem: yes, this is a compelling script, the cast is full of character actors giving good performances, gory details are great, it scratches that "big film" itch but with this kind of seriousness it also fails to fulfill on that level.
Rated 23 Jan 2022
The opening hour at the fair is good fun. The movie then switches into a fairly morose and slow noir, before more or less sticking the landing. Not bad, but it really needed to lose 30-45 min, which could have easily been done without losing much.
Rated 25 Jan 2022
Raccoon haters fear not! Bradley Cooper has a different kind of rocket for us this time round.
Rated 04 Feb 2022
The visuals of this film are magical. From the wide angle shots to the stunning sets and lighting, it's such a great moody look. The cast is phenomenal, one of the best of the year. It is a little too long though. I felt like it could've been around 2 hours and a paced a bit faster.
Rated 05 Feb 2022
I really enjoyed this. Every minute of the two and half hour runtime was worth watching. Great stuff from Guillermo del Toro.
Rated 05 Feb 2022
Like with so many moderns productions, there is a dead ambiance that brings it all down. While the story is of the cold kind, there is a lot of room to make things feel more vibrant, and that's where moderns techniques fail. It's too controlled staging it's scenes, strangling the life out of its characters and the world they live in. But Guillermo del Toro does get a lot of the scenes right too. Becomes this uneven world that stills draws you in. Cool to see a old school remake like this.
Rated 05 Feb 2022
I got to the part where Dr. Ritter tells Carlisle to "lay down" and couldn't watch any more. What a boring heap of crap.
Rated 05 Feb 2022
Beautifully made. It's a solid and enjoyable noir, albeit one that doesn't quite reach the heights of any of the classics.
Rated 26 Feb 2022
Great visuals, mood, and performances, but too slow and too long which for me makes it a decent movie. Watched it in two parts, not sure if I could've done it in one.
Rated 13 Mar 2022
I liked this a lot, and I think it shows a lot of del Toro's strengths behind the camera well without relying on his trademark creature design as much as other films. This was not what I was expecting at all, as a lot of the marketing made this seem more monster-gothic-horror-ish, and I do think that dampened my reception a fair bit. However, I thought the film I got was clearly someone's vision, albeit slightly overlong and a little meandering at times.
Rated 18 Mar 2022
So much depth and beauty and horror. The characters are great and the cast play them with such skill. This is very entertaining. Love that GdT sprinkles the scenes with his Bleak House residents.
Rated 20 Mar 2022
Despite its flaws (too long, dragging first act) the movie grabbed me with its dark characters, noirish plot and stunning cinematography.
Rated 21 Mar 2022
Much of today's audiences may not realize this is a remake of a great 1947 film. Though well made, i'm not sure what this version brought to the production, other than color film and a big budget, oh yeah it was also unnecessarily graphic at times. Critics seem impressed. Me, not so much, plus a long running time. If you watch, make it to the end though, there is a payoff.
Rated 25 Mar 2022
Lest we forget, del Toro has always mixed masterpieces and "meh." His NA looks gorgeous, has some great performances (esp Blanchett and Strathairn) but focused around an even more unlikable lead than the original, played by a bland Cooper, this feels about 3 hours longer to little payoff. All the details are gorgeous, and some individual scenes really work, but they don't really add up to much beyond a curio cabinet full of dead things.
Rated 27 Mar 2022
I'd be willing to go to the freak show and see Dafoe's large, uh, appendage. Nightmare Alley is like the most perfect film for del Toro to remake, but this one doesn't work for me. It's big and beautiful, much like Dafoe's penis, but it's too unwieldy, like Dafoe's penis.
Rated 29 Mar 2022
I for one wasn't bored by the run time or bothered that you could see where the movie was going before it got there. Pretty movie
Rated 28 Apr 2022
The full-circle final scene of this moody morality tale doesn't fully repair the separation between the first act and the rest, and there are other script stumbles too (see the Carlisle-carny tension that goes nowhere), but every piece compels in spite of the whole; the cinematography and design is showstopping, the cast's got panache a-plenty, and the violence and deception is shut-eye(s) thrilling ("When a man believes his own lies... people get hurt... And when the lies end, there it is").
Rated 04 May 2022
Though there were aspects I preferred in the original film, I think del Toro did a great job here. I felt more connected to these characters, and loved the actors' portrayals and added depths. Unlike the original, I think Bradley actually was the standout here. Not to say I didn't like the other cast, I just thought his performance was particularly impressive. If you're a del Toro fan or just want to see something with a star studded cast , I highly recommend this. I give 8 handguns out of 10.
Rated 17 Oct 2022
The original film did not have much room to improve other than maybe cinematography and editing. Here we see better cinematography at the expense of even worse editing. Please stop remaking old movies unless you have something concrete to build on it. Additional bloated 40 minutes don't pay off apart from introducing a few shocking scenes.
Rated 03 Oct 2023
I thought the build-up was good, but then saw the film in bits over the next few nights and felt into something formulaic. Would perhaps have been better on the big screen, like most films! As a recovering alcoholic I found the ending particularly tragic. It was also predictable and trite?
Rated 14 Feb 2022
This film was super dark, even for me! I loved the first hour, but the long run time killed the suspense. The second act really didn’t do it for me. Just the first hour held all the points for me. It was predictable after the first hour or so, and even though the ending redeemed the movie a little bit, it fell off hard.
Rated 16 Jan 2022
It is an embodiment of the seven deadly sins. What a great specimen!
Rated 11 Feb 2022
Guillermo del Toro’s direction is great as usual here, with the cinematography and excellent cast being just as impressive. It certainly could’ve used a trim, even though the first act is engaging, it kinda drags a bit afterwards, not leaving much desire to rewatch it. It had the potential to be a lot more, but it’s still a decent addition to Del Toro’s filmography.
Rated 24 Mar 2022
Leftwithher-2yearslaterdoindeadpeopleangle+getsdrCBinonit+ghostduringliedetector:P+causedladykillhusband/self+seesthroughgfghosttricksokills+CBmastermindedeverything-swappedmoney-sayingcrazy-shootsear+getstonewcarnivallol
Rated 03 Apr 2022
Very well executed, but just a story about bad people doing bad things...
Rated 01 Jan 2023
Great take on film noir style. Very evocative of that era, and the story zips along. You could maybe argue it's a bit episodic, but not a problem for me.
Rated 12 Feb 2022
Style over substance.
Rated 20 Jun 2022
Very nice atmosphere, I didn't get bored at all. There is a young man with talent who joins a circus and tries to learn "magician" tricks. The best trick he learns is to read other people either by noticing things on them or with the help of an assistant who tells him phrases that are coded and can be translated e.g. to what item does the audience hold (when the magician has a blinder in his eyes). He leaves the circus with a girl and they do this trick to gain money. But things go too far.
Rated 05 Jan 2022
Flawed though it is, I did enjoy Guillermo del Toro’s Nightmare Alley. It’s a handsome and generally engaging entry in the quickly fading genre of medium-budget adult dramas, with updates that are always intriguing, even if they’re occasionally unsuccessful.
Rated 20 Feb 2022
It takes on the predictable symmetry of a Grimm's fable for 'adult children of alcoholics'. I appreciated the restraint of Del Toro's trademark magical realism and mood which, instead, soaks into the Circus paraphernalia and Art Deco Noir opulence rather than the usual fantastical creature-feature.
Rated 07 Dec 2021
layers of good storytelling, subtle acting, and immersive visuals. it's a ride to remember.
Rated 20 Mar 2022
Quite a departure from Del Toro, cast is awesome -- specially Cooper, of course -- and some of the neonoirish, circus stuff really delivers -- the acts --, but it's just too bad everything else feels flat and overstretched. Maybe it's the kind of grandiose film you do after winning an Oscar, that's why I hope he does some 90-minute, straightforward horror some time in the near future.
Rated 22 Dec 2021
Pales in comparison to the original, but it’s still decent. Kind of dulls the class based angle the 40s version has in favour of focusing on the mental aspects of the Cooper character, while this does flesh him out I’m not sure it makes the movie better or as interesting. Mara and Collette definitely aren’t given as much to chew on as their 40s counterparts and they suffer in the process, especially Mara.
Rated 23 Dec 2021
Solid but a little bit slow. Great atmosphere and effects.
Rated 28 Dec 2021
It lacks the depth of the 1947 version but this is still enjoyable. I liked the violence and cooper’s performance. Makes it more about the ghosts that haunt us/ the power dynamics between men and women.
Rated 30 Dec 2021
A bit long especially in the first half, but it was quite good tbh
Rated 02 Jan 2022
It's a beautiful nightmare of a film, almost a horror film take on the source material, and I like it, but I was prepared to love it and really didn't.
Rated 20 Jan 2022
Bests the 1947 version just by giving it modern scene tension and spelling out the horrors that were bashfully embalmed before. The contours of the protagonist are still a bit bland though and it's unclear whether that's the performance or the volume of psychological distress meant to fit into a tight space. And yet, by the end, the screws have tightened. It's a voluptuous noir Del Toro has fashioned, a fully adult and not even slightly whimsical piece that works by its brutal intent alone.
Rated 26 Jan 2022
Couple of nice twists to end it.
Rated 27 Jan 2022
Very dark look at humanity, acting, direction, sets are all first rate but half way through I realised I had seen the original and the ending came back to me., which lessened the impact and made some of the journey to get there a little more tedious. In film there is a tendency to flesh out those parts of a story with a big name, Cate Blanchett, where a bit more editing could benefit the story telling as a whole.
Rated 31 Jan 2022
It's not bad—couldn't be with such director and cast—but damn is the first half boring. The second half improves considerably, but it still isn't perfect.
Good story badly told.
Rated 03 Feb 2022
Bu rol bradley cooper’ı biraz aşmış gibi. Teknik olarak her şey çok iyi ama fazla uzun.
Rated 05 Feb 2022
The entire carnival section was dreadfully boring but it does pick up some steam after that. Still not amazing, but it's quite decent I guess.
Rated 09 Feb 2022
W2E1P1S0V2M1A0R1. I just thought Bradley Cooper's acting was nearly cringe-worthy. His "accent" just sounded like he had a mild stuffy nose the whole time, and he was totally implausible as a credible mentalist. Everyone else was wasted, and the payoff was nowhere near worth the slog.
Rated 10 Feb 2022
Unique, novel, and understated.
Rated 11 Feb 2022
The premise is interesting and everything looks really nice. I certainly wanted to go along with everything, but the pacing is way too slow given how thin the plot, characters, and motivations are. Because of this the film ends up being rather disengaging inspite of some mostly good acting.
Rated 12 Feb 2022
A good remake.
Rated 15 Feb 2022
Mostly enjoyable. The whole movie was visually fascinating and directing was good. I just have a little problem with the scenario about how the movie changes and ends. Generally, it was delightful.
Rated 14 Feb 2022
Although not on a par with his best work, del Toro's "Nightmare Alley" is an expertly made, wonderfully photographed, slow-burning, immersive journey into the world of WWII-era carnivals and beyond. The production design is exemplary and the storytelling and direction captivating throughout. Particular highlights are the intense finale and fantastic cast (especially Jenkins, Blanchett and Dafoe). On the downside, cliches aren't avoided and some of the characterization's superficial and slapdash.
Rated 15 Feb 2022
Plot with Ritter seems hard to believe, yet I did enjoy it anyway.
Rated 20 Feb 2022
Throw THE TENANT and PHANTOM THREAD in a blender, mixed with ghoulish carny imagery and this is probably the result you would get; while a second viewing will be mandatory for a final score, the performers carry the day, especially through a rocky and sluggish opening act, before Blanchett enters and essentially walks off with the film. Cooper’s inscrutable and opaque performance is ultimately perfect for the hazy arc his character travels; Mara and an unrecognisable Jenkins are equally fine.
Rated 21 Feb 2022
A bit slow to start, but terribly intriguing once it gets going.
Rated 07 Mar 2022
Pretty, of course, and somewhat well built as well. Some turns feel a bit clunky and some side plots unnecessary.
Rated 10 Mar 2022
Muazzam görüntü yönetmenliği, atmosfer ve oyunculuk maalesef filmin sıkıcı ve pek de ilgi çekici olmayan bir film olduğu gerçeğini değiştiremiyor. Harika bir potansiyel harcanmış gibi gelse de yine de elimizde ortalamanın biraz daha üstü bir atmosfer filmi kalıyor.
Rated 14 Mar 2022
God damn those visuals!!!! God damn that cast!!!! Just a beautiful movie absolutely filled with killer performances. I really enjoyed the first hour and was a little disappointed at how little of it factored into the rest of the story but that stuff was still fun and interesting in its own way. Not the best story overall but campy and entertaining and the climactic stuff owned.
Rated 16 Mar 2022
Albeit predictable throughout, it was still quite enjoyable. Great cinematography and superb storytelling. And this is even despite Bradley Cooper's attempts to ruin it with his acting.
Rated 17 Mar 2022
An oddly shapeless movie that never seems to be going anywhere while covering a surprising amount of narrative ground.
Rated 21 Mar 2022
While I was able to give this film my attention for its entirety, I could definitely feel the strain; and really we want movies to grab us—not the other way around. Still, there’s plenty that’s captivating. Adored the thick atmosphere and gorgeous production. The cast is great as well; too bad most of them are dropped after the first act. The payoff for this slow burn isn’t quite up to the endurance it asks of the audience. Del Toro needs a new editor.
Rated 25 Mar 2022
It looks beautiful and the mood is strong, but it was way too dark for me. I hated all the characters and the runtime, but the first hour was very intriguing.
Rated 27 Mar 2022
Beautiful but too long, too thin and I can't stand the pervasive "I'm in an important movie" style of acting here
Rated 28 Mar 2022
As always with del Toro the production design and cinematography is top notch. But the characters lacked any emotional depth and the plot any really thematic depth, which made it hard for me to really get invested in this. So while the movie is still worth watching for before mentioned plusses, it overall didn't make a memorable impression.
Rated 30 Mar 2022
I didn't know what to expect when turning on Nightmare Alley. I don't always love period pieces like this, but this film lured me in from the beginning and kept me engaged all the way to the end. There's an atmosphere of intense fraud and manipulation in this film. I highly enjoyed this!
Rated 31 Mar 2022
Gorgeous to look at and impeccably acted, yet meandering, at times aimless and a lot more predictable than I wish it was.
Rated 02 Apr 2022
I wonder how many of the props were actually from Guillermo's collection.
Rated 06 Apr 2022
1898: well written and well filmed. but it was a simple story of a greedy man fucked up himself!
Rated 11 Apr 2022
Not bad but not worth 3 (THREE) hours of your time
Rated 17 Apr 2022
S P O I L E R S Very stylish carnie noir. Pretty slow at points and the plot felt a little scattered and ok predictable buuut I really liked the design and it had a great ending which goes a long way in my book. The twist was well done. The strongest thing the film does imo is create a deep dark disturbing sort of unease. Is is real or a scam? You know it’s gonna collapse but maybe not quite how and it’s always looming… 7/10
Rated 18 Apr 2022
o del toro às vezes se perde demais no maneirismo
Rated 07 May 2022
Stylish and entertaining, if a little unevenly paced.
Rated 04 Jul 2022
Reminds me heavily of a book called "The Deadly Percheron" with its noir mystique atmosphere. It's a good suspense movie, and keeps you guessing, but Cooper's character is too mysterious for the movie's good and he's pretty hard to get behind. One of the few times where style alone makes a movie enjoyable.
Rated 16 Jul 2022
Guillermo Del Toro, Harry Potter yönetmek istiyor. Yaşlı ve hasta babasını öldüren, yakışıklı Bradley Cooper, 1 karnavala kaçar. Karnaval'ın renkli dünyasının arkasında karanlık dünyayı keşfeder. Karanlık dünyayı seçen Bradley Cooper, ruh çağırma seanslarıyla parayı kazanır. Tam 2.5 saat süren film. Setler, dekorlar, kostümler, makyajlar yıkılıyor. Fakat belli 1 yerden sonra baydı. Bradley Cooper da olmamış. Filmin sonunda, Geek. İçki kötülüklerin anasıdır.
Rated 02 Oct 2022
Had been looking forward to this one for some time and finally sat down and watched it this evening. 1st & 3rd acts I enjoyed considerably more than the middle stanza. I can appreciate a slow burn, but this felt like a lack of quality as well as a much slower pace than had been the first hour. Things do pick up as we get to the climax, and I would recommend it overall. 6.5 for me.
Rated 12 Oct 2022
At least Cate Blanchett never disappoints you.
Rated 18 Nov 2022
Some grim, despicable characters and it's pretty delicious.
Rated 10 Dec 2022
koay movie
Rated 10 Dec 2022
Very much underrated, but I think I'm biased as it has two of my favourite actors in it: Bradley Cooper and Cate Blanchett. Very mysterious movie. Loved it!
Rated 07 Mar 2023
I miss Tyrone Power.
Rated 04 Oct 2023
It's alright, but to be honest watching con artists con each other one after the other just gets a bit dull after a while, and the final act is really, really telegraphed.
Rated 05 May 2023
This film has a good ensemble cast that work well together. However the script could have used more work. The film starts to drag on and contains too many slow spots. Overall this film is disappointing.
Rated 28 May 2023
Pretty but shallow.
Rated 17 Jul 2023
Good until Bradley Cooper started talking.