Nobody Knows
Nobody-Knows
Nobody-Knows

Nobody Knows

2004
Four siblings live happily with their mother in a small apartment in Tokyo. The children all have different fathers and have never been to school. The very existence of three of them has been hidden from the landlord. One day, the mother leaves behind a little money and a note, charging her oldest boy to look after the others. And so begins the children's odyssey... (imdb)
Apple TVAMC+ Amazon ChannelTubi TVAMC+IFC Films Unlimited Apple TV Channel

The quiet and gentle sensibilities make this a mostly virtuous film (It would have been so easy to go the manipulative route) but at the same time it detracts from what could have been a much more powerful and emotional experience.
There's plenty of heartbreaking stories about kids surviving in an adult world. What's interesting about this one is that not only is it inspired by a true story, but the true story is even darker. There's a running sub-theme about our willingless to ignore the miseries of those around us. The cast is pretty good for children, although they didn't have to do much. Where the film goes horribly wrong is the use of a poignant, manipulative pop song at a point where it's clearly not needed.
The true story is actually much more horrible, and I'm not sure I prefer this toned down version or not. I did appreciate that it didn't become melodrama. In any case, this is a really great film. It's terribly tragic, and yet it's also presented in a very beautiful way. It quite perfectly captured childhood innocence and its destruction. I highly recommend it.
Avoids sentiment, garish manipulation and fierce depression instead being highly subtle, a gentle, tender film that fully evokes the feeling of youth and that spends much of its time not wallowing in the filth of the situation but instead looking at a friendship that forms between our main character and the schoolgirl Saki, or that is perfectly happy to give our characters moments of joy. This strange combination of that which warms and breaks the heart is effortlessly effective.
Drawn from a distressing case of childhood neglect, many viewers no doubt react to the carelessness of the mother, even though the ironic title indicates that the real target is social if not systemic. The filmmaker works very hard to create a convincing portrait of children struggling to subsist in an untenable environment, avoiding any hint of melodrama, with many quasi-Bressonian shots of feet and hands, and quasi-Ozuian narrative ellipses. Despite everything, did not quite achieve greatness.

Poster supplied bydarkmandarkman