Nosferatu

Nosferatu

1922
Fantasy

Rated 01 Jul 2022
Kudos to Count Orlok for not caving in to society's unrealistic vampire beauty standards. #AllVampiresAreBeautiful
Rated 04 Feb 2007
I have to admit that watching Nosferatu ended up being a bit of an academic exercise for me, in the "Wow, I can't believe they did that! In 1922!" sense. There are some genuinely creepy moments here, but unfortunately they've been so frequently parodied and referenced and internalized in our cultural subconscious in such a way that they didn't have as big an impact on me as they undoubtedly would've otherwise.
One of the first horror movies ever made, this classic still works nearly a century later. The shots of Schreck are always memorable: sometimes bold, sometimes almost pathetic (yet still menacing). Ignoring the importance of Nosferatu to cinema, it's still a ton of fun to watch.
Rated 24 Apr 2020
Didn't know it would be so fit for quarantine - this seminal adaptation of Stoker's Dracula reframes the creature as embodiment of the plague. Some standout imagery and shadowplay, especially in act IV. Robert Eggers is doing an iteration soon and you can guess which shots he'll reference. Orlok manages to be both nightmarish and ridiculous at once (at least somewhat intentionally), an effective combo echoed in my favorite modern vampires - BOB and DIO.
Rated 06 Mar 2019
The German expressionist horror classic still manages to inspire a bit of fright through Max Schreck's iconic "Count Orlok". However while most of the scenes with "Nosferatu" are still creepy today, the story never managed to interest me. Although honestly, I'm not really a big "Dracula" fan either, and you know, come to think about it, I'm not really sure I even like vampires that much, and ummm...yeah, point is, all that aside, the influence of this film can still be seen throughout the genre.
Rated 29 Oct 2018
Combined with how it's made, sometimes the way an old movie looks helps immersion. I can't quite explain it but it feels like, to some degree, I was watching something that actually happened , like vampires are real. Anyway, obviously a classic, amazing set design. Schreck gives an otherworldly performance and steals the show. Normally old horror movies don't creep me out that much but there are scenes here that legitimately scared me. Some scenes are kind of laughable, though.
Rated 10 Oct 2009
A true classic, this horror film won't scare but will enchant with gorgeous visuals and the iconic performance of Schreck. I was impressed with some of the special effects they managed to pull off in Ye Olden Day. There's a lot to love here, and how can one not grin at the sight of Orlok having to lug his own coffin through the streets of Bremen? The pace was decent; the scenes did not feel drawn out at all and only near the end does it slow down a bit.
Rated 05 Feb 2009
An excellent movie only hindered by some very heavy handed and awkward acting. But the superb use of shadows and the way Orlok moves about makes it a very creepy and enjoyable watch.
Rated 08 Sep 2009
Scary, haunting, and very powerful, "Nosferatu" is one of the best horror films pre-1970, with some of the most terrifying and unforgettable of horror sequences. For its great horror quality and its iconic examination of dread, this film was well ahead of its time, and to this day, manages to be just as horrifying as it was upon original release.
Rated 26 Sep 2009
Maybe not the masterpiece people make it out to be, the pacing is a bit off at times, same goes for the music which wasn't constantly enthralling. One amazing aspect though is how great the film looks after so many years, production values held up well and Max Schreck as Orlok is bone-chillingly hypnotizing. One of the best horror pics I've seen, recommended !!!
Rated 17 Jun 2018
Some pretty great sequences and images that you're probably better off watching on Youtube. The pace is narcoleptic, and it contains some pretty egregious padding (someone please explain to me why Knock is in more than one scene). The version I watched held most of the intertitles so long that I was able to read them more than three times, and I'm a slow reader.
Rated 18 Mar 2007
One of the most engaging silent films in the history of movies. F.W. Murnau knows how to create excellent atmosphere with phenomenal set and art design. It's just as brilliant today as it ever was. It's an absolute masterpiece.
Rated 16 Apr 2007
Hasn't really aged too well - but still incredibe cinematically for 1922, and a worthy watch. Just don't go too out of your way to find it.
holds up amazingly well
Rated 28 Oct 2021
Rewatch. Still pretty spooky. Amazing score (Eureka's Hans Erdmann reconstruction). I guess the book passages can be a bit long but it's not like it's Mabuse the Gambler. Did I mention Max Schreck's body posture and fingers are just creepy? Though he is silly at times, like when he's the coachman. Fav scenes: anytime Schreck iconically slowly comes toward the camera (doorframe or rising up in the boat); his shadowy hand grasping at her heart.
Rated 09 Oct 2021
Always hard to judge something this old. Schreck is truly creepy and the visuals are unbelievably ahead of their time--shadows were never better than German expressionism. But it's also hard not to see anti-Semitism and xenophobia here.
Rated 09 Jul 2009
Much has been written of this film's legacy, with little for me to add. Of course the imagery and atmosphere are fantastic. I adore the third act in particular, wherein Orlok's funeral march from Transylvania to Wisborg is related to fearsome and grotesque predators of the natural world, all the while sowing the seeds of plague in his wake, and which in some translations contains the greatest intertitle of any silent film I've seen: "The deathship has a new captain."
Rated 04 Apr 2020
In 1922, this was scarier than seeing a train come at the screen. As a kid, the Are You Afraid of the Dark? episode with the Count was one of the scariest to me.
Rated 11 Jun 2011
Nosferatu is a film that even today looks fantastic. However, my issue with it is something I feel with most Dracula adaptations - the story moves way too slowly with too much down time. I find myself getting bored often, and it's not the film's fault, it's just the source material.
Rated 21 Mar 2011
I know it's a classic but when Nosferatu isn't on screen (which is the far majority of the film), it's pretty boring.
Rated 12 Jul 2014
Praised for the horrific vividness of its imagery, Murnau's classic horror no longer scares like it once presumably did. What makes it effective, however, is its dreamlike atmosphere, and the (Freudian) psychological approach that Murnau brings to the material. At its very core, Nosferatu is a complex look at man and his relationship to nature, a fact established by some impressive crosscutting midstream. Along with Halloween, it's the best horror about the return of the repressed.
That vampire be creepy son! His arms be long and his face be twisted and his shadow be huge what the fuck kind of nightmare is this
Rated 24 Feb 2022
One of the first film adaptations of Bram Stokers Dracula
I didn’t think it would be possible for me to enjoy a silent movie
It’s not a genre that’s familiar to me
But it’s quite good
The simplistic plot is easy to follow and the scenes with Max Schreck as Count Orlok are  visceral and haunting
Rated 04 Jun 2008
Honestly, only bareable because of it's impact and near creation of the horror genre, other than that the modern film-goer will find very few redeeming qualities, one is that it's only an hour long. Orlock is creepy though.
Rated 06 Oct 2008
Creepy and engaging, certainly iconic. The pacing is pretty uneven, especially near the end, and some of the scenes are more laughable than serious nowadays. Still, it's so much better than most modern horror films with excessive gore and jump scares.
Rated 17 Jul 2013
Any scene with Orlok is stunning and perfect but the story itself is a bit loose and the other characters are very bland. I totally see why it's considered a masterpiece and I did enjoy it, just wish the story had been changed a bit more to highlight Orlok more and make things a bit less confusing (for example the stuff with head estate agent is irrelevant and confusing)
Rated 24 Oct 2008
Creepy, silent and just pure fun, Noferatu is a very engaging horror film with virtually no flaws. But if I had to point out minor ones, some of the scenes are ironic and just very laughable. Still, an all-time great.
Rated 09 Jul 2009
So masterfully shot it's almost unbelievable that this is nearly 100 years old. Though age has stripped it of much of its ability to truly frighten, it's a taut, suspenseful film with its fair share of creepy shots and is as captivating as ever. In every technical aspect, it's just about perfect.
Rated 03 Aug 2009
Genuinely creepy and ultimately rewarding, although it does fall to many of the silent non-comedy trappings (primitive understanding of camera language, over-dramatic acting, disjointed and often dull editing, etc.)
Rated 23 Jan 2010
Has a lot of the superficial flaws implicit in a movie made in the early 20's, but Orlok is still fantastically creepy looking today. The Gothic atmosphere is also a great accomplishment by Murnau.
Rated 18 Aug 2011
A true horror classic, not a museum piece even if Nosferatu occasionally looks comical (thinking of him mugging as he leaves the hold of the ship) to modern eyes. He certainly doesn't look comical in the dark, heavily shadowed shot of this nightmare creature feasting on the neck of a young girl in her bed. An image to be burned into the subconscious if there ever was one. It's visually fabulous, influencing horror forever.
Rated 15 Feb 2012
From a time when even the people who played vampires were hideous freaks.
Rated 04 Mar 2007
Incredible silent film, Max Schreck is terrifying.
Rated 30 Oct 2014
Sorry, it's no Sunrise.
Rated 30 Mar 2007
This movie has not aged well
Rated 30 Dec 2017
Murnau's masterpiece quickly becomes less of a historical lesson and more of a haunting exercise in shadow and atmosphere as the brief running time draws to a close. Amazing photography for a film that is nearly one hundred years old.
Rated 14 Jul 2007
I usually give credit to 90 year old movies for their cinematic influence, but have to add that nowadays, theyre just not that entertaining. In this case though, Nosferatu is actually still a surprisingly good movie, with a great, creepy atmosphere.
Like a few silent films, it can be occasionally laughable today. But it still manages to pack some really creepy moments in there.
Great for its time
Rated 05 Jun 2014
80 of the points are solely for the look of the vampire.
Rated 29 Jan 2012
Wasn't really my cup of tea. The elements where there for a creepy movie and Max Schreck was good as Count Orlock, but I just couldn't really get into it.
Rated 30 Sep 2017
Iconic.
Rated 07 Oct 2014
Honestly very dry and can get quite bland. Yet even still, it contains some iconic scenes and great cinematography while setting a perfectly mysterious and creepy mood. Also props to Max Schreck. Other than this, the movie is good but it never blew me out of the water, story, acting, or score-wise.
Rated 31 Oct 2012
I've no doubt that this film was bitchin' in 1922 but that was then & this is now. Still, no denying that Count Orlok is THE iconic movie vampire.
Rated 17 Mar 2008
It seems that much of this film is lost, so it's difficult to judge it accurately. The plot seems to be missing some scenes, but much of it is still eerie and creepy.
Rated 09 Apr 2008
I still remember watching this for the first time when it was on TV a long while back. Max Schreck scared the shit out of me, he looks so creepy - and he kind of still does, which is rare if you're not a huge spider. An amazing piece of art.
Rated 19 May 2008
20 Mayis 08 & 1922 tarihinde yapilmis, simdi bile izlerken tuyleri diken diken eden bir korku filmi.Muzikler ve vampiri canlandiran Max Schreck cok basarili, etkili.
Rated 29 Aug 2017
You can pull about 20 seconds of fantastic images out of this hypno-horror, and they're all gifs. It's a real gif-y pop movie if you will. Just when you've gotten so bored that you feel like you've left your body, POP! goes a gif.
Rated 06 Dec 2016
By 2016 standards it's a stretch to call "Nosferatu" scary - eerie is probably more suitable. Of course, it's a little unfair to judge a film that way. So on the one hand I really appreciate the - occasionally genuinely creepy - atmosphere Murnau creates through his successful use of shadows. On the other hand "Nosferatu" is pretty slow and bereft of a big climax of any sort. Murnau succeeds in creating some iconic gothic imagery but his fragmentary direction fails to set the story on fire.
Rated 07 Oct 2018
I have no doubt that in 1922, this was one of the scariest movies out there. The Count is still pretty creepy 100 years later, but the horror is pretty tame compared to modern movies. Impressive camerawork for the era. Unfortunately, my version had pretty poor Slavic melodies that didn't quite fit the film ("From the New World"?). Surprised they included Van Helsing when he wasn't a major part of the plot.
Rated 23 Jun 2013
Some of the silent performances can be a bit goofy, but it doesn't change the fact that this is a profoundly unsettling film.
Rated 12 Jan 2009
this movie is supreme form of cinema.
Rated 26 Jan 2009
Extremely boring. I would advise you to watch this movie in stead of counting sheep if you want to get to sleep fast. OVERRATED.
Rated 14 Aug 2023
Legendary granddaddy of vampire movies (and horror movies in general) falls victim to slight stodginess in its early stages, but it’s all setting the table for Schreck’s entrance who proves one of cinema’s distinctive (and chilling) characters, especially when combined with Murnau’s expert staging and lighting; the shipbound sequence has lost none of its power to creep. Plague sequences (flavoured with Spanish flu phobia) give the film a fresh, modern resonance for COVID plagued 2023!
Rated 26 Oct 2009
This film really isn't about the scares. It's more about the creeps. However, it's atmosphere, it's mood, it's disturbing lead performance, and it's brisk pacing all add up to a consistent, but building feeling of dread throughout the film. Several of Murnau's edits are absolutely brilliant, and the way he's able to thread together the narrative in two or three different locations simultaneously is truly remarkable.
Rated 19 Nov 2016
Amazingly ahead of its time in its theme and look, it influenced countless films to come.
Rated 18 May 2013
One of the golden masterpieces of the silent era of horror films. Nosferatu is shrouded in a nightmarish quality, and at the heart of it is the monster who the movie is based on. Max Schreck is the scariest vampire of all time.
Rated 25 Jul 2012
I yearn for the days when you didn't need a chest waxing, pedicure & mascara to be a vampire. Whenever Schreck is on screen, this is great. Orlock's appearance (especially the long fingers), his posture and the way he moves are all perfectly creepy, and Murnau's little tricks with shadows & jump cuts are used to great effect. But the narrative is a bit muddled and past the halfway point becomes a liability.
Rated 04 Jan 2010
More to be appreciated for what it is and what it did for cinema than to be actively enjoyed on most levels. Still, it's watchable, but I find things such as the Cabinet of Dr. Caligari much more stimulating.
Rated 28 Nov 2015
Rated 07 Mar 2010
It's a bit slow, and the score is disappointingly average, but I can't deny this films atmosphere is astounding. It's such a haunting film, with unbelievable production values way ahead of their time. Yes, some scenes are laughable, and no it isn't the masterpiece it's often made out to be, but it stood up well to the test of time and is a more than worthy watch. Hell, it bests the vast majority of modern horrors with ease.
Rated 27 Feb 2015
This has not aged well.
Rated 04 Jul 2012
Impressive visuals make for an interesting take on the vampire legend. I'll see this again.
Rated 01 Nov 2011
Dude looks freaky.
Rated 13 Jun 2010
Fantastic movie! Even though it's so old, the directing quality is outstanding for that time. Sometimes very creepy and there are some memorable scenes. Just fantastic
Rated 19 Jun 2010
No denying the importance of this film, but there is no denying the incredibly poor pacing of nosferatu either, at times it feels like scenes have been added just because they could. While i feel the film is not dark enough to really create a creepy atmosphere. Max schreck is fantastic as count orloc and is is absolutly the reason to watch this film.
Rated 25 Jul 2010
Would you call it the greatest vampire film ever? Possibly
Rated 22 Feb 2013
I'm not really fond of the book, which was kind of boring. The movie itself also has some boring parts, mainly when Orlok is not in the scene, but the overall creepiness, great camerawork and atmosphere more than make up for it.
Rated 15 Feb 2012
i was spooked out of my pants
Rated 21 Oct 2010
Many 'moderners' suggest that this film is dated, and down-right 'cheesy' almost 90 years after the fact. But, to be quite frank, I've rarely seen films that are this hypnotic, mystifying, foreboding and morbid all in one. It's an exemplary example of cinema, and an artefact that that has much beauty and value all these years later.
Rated 13 Dec 2010
"Watching Nosferatu is like standing in the same room as death itself." - Rob Humanick
Rated 21 Jul 2014
This is another film that is considered a classic. You see all the elements of modern vampire stories in this film including special effects like super fast speed. Nonetheless, by modern standards this film falls short of entertaining. Billed as a symphony of horror, it should evoke some fear in the viewer. The only fear I experienced was the fear of falling asleep during the movie, that's how engaging it was. I cannot recommend it outside of a film history class.
Rated 13 Jan 2007
I had the good fortune of watching this with a full orchestra (Gillian Anderson and co.), so, you know, it was probably significantly more awesome than it would have been otherwise. The movie itself is still excellent, though.
Rated 02 Feb 2007
Despite being made in the 1920's and being a silent film, still ten times creepier than most horror films ever made.
Rated 17 Apr 2007
# 84
Rated 30 Jul 2022
good movie
Rated 29 Jan 2013
Interesting look into the beginning's of horror. The music is amazing and really helps set the mood. Although out of all the old classics, this one is definitely showing it's age the most.
Rated 28 Aug 2018
those fucking rats.
Rated 27 Sep 2007
Ooh, is that monster creepy! With the long fingers, and...shadows on the walls...
Rated 30 Oct 2007
A great movie but the copy I saw somewhat ruined the experience. It was restored some years ago making the film quality great, but this restored copy had two soundtrack options and both were synthesized, plus intertitles were computerized and stuck out like a sore thumb. Restoration is great, but they didn't stay true to the film with a period orchestral piece or make the intertitles fit into the aged quality of the film. Both were extrememly distracting for me. Wait for new Kino version in Nov.
Rated 28 Aug 2013
Not quite the best Dracula adaptation like I was hoping, but still very good. For the most part, "Nosferatu" is extremely dull and plodding, but Max Schreck more than makes up for it. His performance as Orlok is absolutely terrifying, and every scene with him goes a long way to justifying the long gaps. The shadow scenes are iconic, and rightfully so.
Rated 07 May 2015
So different from modern films. It's more like watching pictures, a series of images, instead of supposedly living the story along the characters, seeing inside their heads and whatnot it tends to be these days. But it's not bad. These pictures are rather memorable and atmospheric.
Rated 31 Mar 2008
classic
Rated 30 Jul 2013
didn't get into this one much. nice look and atmosphere but a little drab and boring, and the extremely, well, expressionist acting kind of clashed with the attempted horror of it all.
Rated 07 Oct 2019
Despite its status as an expressionist classic, I actually found this to be Murnau at his more subdued. Most of the horror here is derived not from striking shots that sear themselves into your memory but from a more subtle atmosphere that pervades the film - even the unassuming establishing shots of horses on a field or waves crashing on the beach hint at the darkness ahead.
Rated 12 Jul 2008
Amazing.
Rated 18 Jul 2008
The classic horror movie. A must see for true die-hard horror fans.
Rated 30 Nov 2011
#103
Rated 05 Nov 2008
this movie was GREAT. nah.
Rated 09 Nov 2008
Must see for real fans, great dracula. no sound.
Rated 22 Mar 2009
Heavy on shadow and gloom but fairly swiftly paced.
Rated 29 Aug 2012
One of the greatest movies ever made!
Rated 09 Sep 2014
Rated 13 Jan 2010
Rated 06 Dec 2020
all these people are dead :(
Rated 05 Jun 2015
It's obvious how Nosferatu has influenced the many versions of the Dracula story that followed it. And it's surprisingly quotable! "Why did you kill them... the lovely flowers?" - Ellen Hutter. "Your wife has a lovely neck..." - Count Orlock.
Rated 27 Oct 2010
watched: 2010, 2015
Rated 31 Jan 2013
O vampiro daqui é bem diferente do que seria eternizado por Lugosi. Sem charme, o vampiro de Schreck é asqueroso e lembra um rato (em vez dos caninos proeminentes, se destacam os frontais). A conquista se processa no âmbito sexual, não num amor transcendental, conforme depois retratado. O vampiro e o herói, cada, oferece à Mina algo que o outro não pode. Mina é conquistada gradualmente, à distância, até a entrada magistral de Nosferatu que imerso no ato de consumá-la, é vencido pela luz do dia.
Rated 17 Jan 2011
Amazing. The tinted palate and atonal score both give the film an appropriately menacing tone. The story is all the more effective because of its simplicity, and the performance by Max Schreck really just has to be seen. German expressionism, with all its eccentric characteristics, laid claim to some of the greatest movies ever made, and Nosferatu is one of the best examples of the terrifying power of that cinematic movement.
Rated 19 Jan 2011
Bela Lugosi might be the quintessential Dracula, but Max Schreck is the greatest vampire. "Nosferatu" is a silent horror film from 1922. Some people may be wary to watch a silent film, but if you get a good version with a good soundtrack it is very creepy. Max Schreck is really what makes the film work. He plays Graf Orlock (or Count Dracula, depending on the print) and totally disappears into the character. My favorite vampire film, along with the 1979.