2013
Romance, Sci-fi
A veteran assigned to extract Earth's remaining resources begins to question what he knows about his mission and himself. (imdb)
Directed by:
Written by:
Starring:
Country:
Language:

2013
Romance, Sci-fi

Rated 20 Apr 2013
Sally draws inspiration from 2001, the mechanic (Wall-e) brings a flower to his girl (Eva) and mantains a house of Earth souvenirs -- just like the Pixar film --, the human beings that still live here wear Predator-like masks and inhabit a location that seemed to be borrowed from Matrix. And the music is from Tron. And other references go from Moon to Independence Day. This drone-oriented, what-you-believe-about-everything-is-a-lie, me-and-my-clones sci-fi should just be called Copie Conforme.
Rated 27 Jul 2013
Going in, I was reminded of all the comments I heard about how the movie comes apart the further along it gets. I completely agree with everyone, though this does make me feel ridiculously unoriginal. Is my opinion really so predictable? What does that say about my free will? My humanity? Ironically, these are questions Tom Cruise's character should have asked himself if the writing of this movie was any level higher than 'lazy'.
Rated 20 Apr 2013
Oh, come on TET! If you can trace a person's DNA on Earth, surely you could detect a huge bomb that's being transported into your ship! And that's just one of the many idiotic plot holes in the film. If you think about the plot too much, it all falls apart. You're left with some potentially interesting (stolen) ideas, cool space ships and impressive CGI scenery. It's watchable, but not a good film.
Rated 25 Apr 2013
It's easy to draw comparisons between this and other Sci-Fi films, but the elements here come together in a unique way with a good soundtrack and a solid performance from Cruise. Doesn't push any boundaries, but is perfectly enjoyable for what it is.
Rated 20 Apr 2013
Oblivion is a visually stunning sci-fi achievement. It has some set backs, but they are easily missed thanks to the wonderful sci-fi scenery. The technology is awesome, the story is classic sci-fi, and it is all delivered on some of the best budgeting hollywood can offer. Tom Cruise, I am glad to say it, does a good job. If anything, see this movie for the art inside, if sci-fi is your thing.
Rated 27 Apr 2013
This is basically the bastard love-child of what would happen if 2001:, Wall-E, The Matrix, and Independence Day all had a little too much to drink one night and thought it would be a good idea to go skinny dipping, which then quickly progressed into group sex where all of them forgot to pull out. Kosinski clearly is a fan of SciFi and you can't pay any more obvious of an homage (rip off) than your villain being a big red eye. Hopefully Sally and HAL will hook up one day. Derp.
Rated 24 Jul 2013
So some hollywood execs (or their sons) played Mass Effect and decided the Geth were interesting and the sci-fi aesthetic from that game should be lifted to do a big motion picture. Now who would we cast and what kind of film would we do? Why, we'd cut and paste here and there from all sci-fi movies like Moon and the apocalyptic future setting never gets old..so why not. Thus the executive grunted on the show biz toilet and out popped this butt nugget. It's not all bad but oh so generic.
Rated 07 Aug 2013
The film's apparent universal theme, "love's memory never dies", is really cover for something more specific: a man with a nice house, job and wife gradually realises he is unsatisfied, that his true masculine interests and desires remain unmet, that he yearns to be thought of as not just a drone but a hero, and that if all this has failed to occur, the fault must lie with his wife, with the world, and with forces within that world that undermine the actualisation of his legitimate fantasies.
Rated 24 Sep 2013
In a world where only iconic American buildings & monuments survive, Cruise, donning less protective wear than a Fukushima first responder, occasionally leaves his floating fuck bunker to guard the parched pastures of post-nuclear war Earth. Stuck in a mental crux between nostalgia-bred hatred of the present & obsessive narcissism, Cruise has to quickly learn the difference between black & white symbolism in Western culture. Minimal set design, score (Done well by M83) & unfortunately, dialogue.
Rated 16 Apr 2013
Enjoyable popcorn flick, but significantly flawed otherwise. Strangely, despite some huge plot holes, it feels like a fairly well constructed piece of sci-fi, & there's plenty of detail & concept to admire. Unfortunately it's a shame that the materials used to construct this piece of sci-fi are ideas stolen from every notable sci-fi film of the last 40 years! There is nothing original here. 'Cliché' is its next big problem, & painfully so. Lots of wasted potential, but it's no stinker.
Rated 19 Apr 2013
Visually interesting. Painfully bad plot. No originality whatsoever.
2077 A Tom Cruise Odyssey
Rated 27 Apr 2013
The first half feels meandering and unfocused (if occasionally visually arresting), but the film gets a bit more zip in its step after a midmovie twist, coming to an ending I found interesting. (Believe it or not, there's a LOT of this movie the trailer didn't even hint at, which in 2013 is by itself a revelation.) It suffers from a whole lot of telling instead of showing in regard to its backstory, though. And it's a shame Kosinski couldn't get another kick-ass Daft Punk soundtrack!
Rated 04 May 2013
Remember kids, this guy likes Sci-Fi. So what's not to like about a Sci-Fi movie that mashes up a bunch of other Sci-Fi movies? Does this match up to TRON: Legacy? No, because I loved TRON: Legacy and only liked this one. And this movie didn't have Olivia Wilde in a tight suit. But that doesn't mean it wasn't good. I think people went in expecting this to break the mold, rather than comfortably fill it. And yeah, there's some wonky logic but nothing terrible. Great soundtrack. It's worth seeing.
Rated 02 Dec 2013
The first third makes you think you're in for something special and has a pretty sublime moment. Then it turns out you're just in for some pretty above average sci-fi that looks and sounds very good.
Rated 31 Oct 2016
Above all, this movie is a triumph of mood, combining spectacular visuals, great music, and a deliberate pace to deliver a near-hypnotic experience. Yes, the story owes a debt to any number of previous sci-fi pieces, but its superior craftsmanship, strong performances, and palpable atmosphere help it stand out.
Rated 25 May 2021
If you're an overly analytical nerd who loves tracking the influences of sci-fi movies, you A) are reading this review and B) will dig this movie. It's essentially a YouTube mashup of the best parts from Inception, The Matrix, 2001, Blade Runner, Planet of the Apes, Star Trek The Motion Picture, and Solaris. It also has a knack for avoiding Kubrickian intellectualism and instead going for fun via action sequences, cool architecture, and a wonderful Vangelis inspired M83 music. A nice trip.
Rated 13 Apr 2013
Well, if you steal from basically every Sci Fi Movie, do it better!
Rated 29 Apr 2013
The look of the film is great and Tom Cruise is solid, if unspectacular, in the lead. Unfortunately, Morgan Freeman and Nikolaj Coster-Waldau are wasted on weak roles and the script is lacking, to put it lightly. I'm convinced that the title was only recently pared down from the working title of "Oblivion: A Copy and Paste Odyssey." By the time we reach the (overly drawn out) second act, it has become a game of "name the original source" for every plot point.
Rated 06 Jun 2013
This was a pleasant surprise. I went in expecting an action film with scifi elements but it was actually the other way around. Granted, Oblivion doesn't invent anything new but it offers it's influenses in a very nice looking package with a great M83 score. Cruise plays his role in low key which fits the film. Only the overtly explanatory ending and gaps in logic bring the total score down a bit. Plus points for the Icelandic scenery and slightly washed out look of the CGI.
Rated 04 Jul 2013
The story itself isn't exactly new or original, but damn if it didn't look good. The visuals were what sold me on the movie. The landscapes were spectacular and the special effects are among the best I've ever seen.
Rated 24 Jul 2013
Why the low rating? I think people prejudge Cruise. But this is actually a really nice flick. And some stunning visuals aswell.
Rated 03 Aug 2013
mid life crisis the movie, almost does something cool with it retreating back into the blandest safest ending possible. even on its own terms (creeping dissatisfaction with yr beautiful wife and house not ameliorated by yr cool job + motorcycle + flying car, disquieting sensation that yr lifestyle is destroying the planet, yr inevitable death) it taps out without dealing with any of it. for a film titled 'oblivion' that's p disappointing.
Rated 15 Sep 2013
This is true SF. By which I mean it has the main ingredient - an evocative story. A rare specimen indeed. Even rarer considering that's the genre that likes to promise much but seldom delivers (hello 'Elysium'). There are also some things here, like cinematography and graphic design, far exceeding my expectations. Many others that simply work very well and only a small number you could nitpick (as they always are). Don't believe the critics, do yourself a favor and watch it.
Rated 06 Apr 2014
The movie opens with a closing monologue and closes with an introductory story.
Rated 09 Apr 2013
Kosinski once again creates a beautiful world and a great soundtrack, but as in 'Tron: Legacy' the overall story just isn't there and the script could have used a brush up or two...
Rated 11 Apr 2013
A surprisingly entertaining and beautiful thrill ride. No matter how much it's a mash-up of Wall-E, Moon, Logan's Run and so many other sci-fi movies.
Rated 15 Apr 2013
Try not to think through the details too far and you'll enjoy this one. You get the feeling you've seen this or parts of this before and that's ok. It's fun to watch, mostly, and there are some bits and pieces of cool visual stuff.
Rated 15 Apr 2013
It has a lot of ambition and potential, but it's pretty squandered. For the most part only reminds you of all the better sci-fi films it steals from - and it steals from too many, failing to simplify its plot and ends up being a pretty poorly paced film. Has a few good moments, and it's not a bad film, but Tron: Legacy was better in both style and substance in my opinion (although I am a Tron fan). Pretty mediocre.
Rated 16 Apr 2013
Oblivion is visually stunning, solid entertainment, and very clichéd. I liked it, but I was left with a very empty feeling after seeing it.
Rated 20 Apr 2013
In capable hands, the visuals and themes in this movie could have been harnessed to something amazing about, say, man serving technology instead of the other way around. Instead, we get a lazy mishmash of stuff lifted straight from earlier sci-fi movies. The movie treats its viewer like an idiot, projecting every plot point miles in advance and then spending most of the dialogue going over those plot points in case you miraculously missed them. Tom Cruise has no chemistry with anyone, as usual.
Rated 23 Apr 2013
I didn't have anger towards Oblivion like the others probably did. It's a bit unanswered and confusing for some, but the great performance from Tom Cruise and the very impressive visuals from TRON's Joseph Kosinski are enough to keep it moving. The screenplay is just fine too.
Rated 23 Apr 2013
The first half of the movie is spend watching beautiful imagery, while waiting for the plot to reach the point beyond what the trailer spoiled. The second half is spend being force-fed E-V-E-R-Y possible sci-fi cliche the setting allows, occasionally distracted by decent action and -yes- beautiful imagery.
Rated 23 Apr 2013
Jaime Lannister and Morgan Freeman dressed as Mad Max take on an army of Tom Cruises. As awesome as that may seem, unfortunately the execution is simply taking bits and pieces from better sci-fi flicks. Oblivion looks and sounds like a superior film than it actually is.
Rated 25 Apr 2013
To describe this movie in a self-referential metaphor: Everything starts off fine in a stable orbit, but before too long things come loose and it crashes, spilling its payload of interesting ideas and creative homages across the ground, to be shot in the face before they can awaken and achieve their full potential.
Rated 09 May 2013
If this had come out in the 80s, maybe the 90s, it would have been fantastic. Probably would have made tons of money and even gotten a sequel or two of some kind. The problem is that now, all of this stuff has been done before. Everything in the movie comes off as extremely derivative, and there isn't a single original idea to be found. This would be fine if it didn't take itself so seriously. But this kind of subject matter is more suited to a schlocky sci-fi action homage than the main stream.
Uninspired drivel
Rated 28 Jul 2013
A very dystopian and State-of-the-art Science Fiction blockbuster. In my mind everything fits perfectly together. CGI, cast, the stunning soundtrack. I do can comprehend the negative reviews, nevertheless I really enjoyed this trip. Drones will take an essential place in future Warfares, so I think that some scenarios aren't that far-fetched as they might seem in the first moment. I definitely like Kosinski's style.
Rated 18 Dec 2013
This is conflicting - though if I'd known it was by the Tron: Legacy dude, I would've known exactly what to expect. On the one hand, the production design is off the charts and Cruise is an engaging lead; on the other, the characterization is paper-thin, the machinations/motivations of the plot murky, and it often plays like "Spot the sci-fi influence" (these dudes must love Portal). It's better than Tron was, but not by much.
Rated 27 Dec 2013
A much better film than I would have thought going into it. I think this would have worked a lot better if there wasn't a plot, and the film played it straight. It was interesting just to see a man wander through the wasteland of a destroyed world. Not that the plot was bad. Predictable, sure, but it wasn't awful.
Rated 19 Jan 2014
Cruise is his dependable earnest self and there is some great effects. However, the plot is a bit vague (probably for good reason). Still it is not bad.
Rated 06 Mar 2014
Impeccably designed and masterfully filmed, it inserts some seemingly fresh ideas into mainstream sci-fi and blockbuster films. Unfortunately, those ideas that may seem new to the general movie-going population are actually borrowed from a gamut of this film's genre elders. As not to spoil the plot I'll hold back on name dropping movies this one borrows from, but there are quite a few. It's still worth a view though for the outstanding visuals, soundtrack, and Tom Cruise's fine performance.
Rated 11 Mar 2014
Terrible mega-budget fare that I was forced to watch. It did make me realize how often the "Earth has been fucked beyond repair" or "Earth has been taken over by the X" movies uses imagery that stands on the shoulders of that iconic shot of the Statue of Liberty from The Planet of the Apes. I'm pretty sure that shot spawned a whole sub-genre of terrible crap like Oblivion.
Rated 15 Apr 2013
There's nothing particularly awful about Oblivion, but it's inconsistent: it's both braindead and unnecessarily complicated, a tonally dysfunctional sci-fi hodge-podge. Certainly not a write-off though, thanks to some wonderful landscapes, a number of great setpieces, and its attempts to inject thoughtful concepts into the mainstream.
Rated 16 Apr 2013
Kosinski's world rivals Olga K. in prettiness, and Riseborough continues to impress. I found the film's setup intriguing. So much so that the last act, handing out some rather uninspired answers, proved a somewhat disappointing anticlimax.
Rated 17 Apr 2013
Oblivion is an attractive viewing experience but a pointless one also. The plot is completely flawed and the beauty of the ladscapes and exploration over time begins to plod along at an unengaging pace. Director Jospeh Kosinski offers nothing fresh or original to the Sci/Fi genre and the film becomes a game of 'spot the original source'. The soundtrack is stunning, Tom Cruise is as reliable as ever and Andrea Risebororough gives a good performance. But ultimately Olivion is style over substance.
Rated 20 Apr 2013
A very derivative science-fiction film that works despite a muddled plot thanks to stellar production values, strong acting and a grand scale. Tom Cruise anchors the film with a solid action performance while Olga Kurylenko and Andrea Riseborough put out great supportive performances. But it is the visual effects and M83's pulsating score that elevate the film past its generic faults. Definitely a movie that requires the viewer to shut off their brain and just soak in the futuristic beauty.
Rated 22 Apr 2013
Its very flawed; the vast and empty landscape of the sci-fi world could have really been a bigger part; but remains background. The characters never seem important enough. The story is fine, and the twists are okay, but it feels like it could have been background for a bigger action movie, instead of playing out as a sci-fi drama. It's hard to believe given Kosinski's background, but it just never feels BIG enough.
a really neat movie 10 out of 10
Rated 24 Apr 2013
After my fifth viewing, I don't know what ya'll are smoking - this is a modern Sci-Fi masterpiece. Kosinski is one of one directors that give me hope cinema isn't a dead medium. Ya'll keep watching the Duffer Brothers though.
Rated 25 Apr 2013
Tom Cruise did not disappoint in the stiff, exaggerated sprint & explosion changing his trajectory mid-air departments.
Rated 01 May 2013
I remember sitting in the theater thinking "Why am I being force-fed plot devices like I'm some kind of child" and then I realized this was directed by the guy who did Tron: Legacy and everything made perfect sense. This is a really condescending movie to the viewer and no matter how good Tom Cruise is or how pretty it looks it will never be anything more than a big budget sci-fi movie for audiences who hate making any kind of effort at all.
Rated 04 May 2013
I liked it better when it was called 'Moon'.
Rated 12 May 2013
Tom Cruise is good as always but that is the only unqualified positive. The dogfighting scenes reminded me of Star Wars which means they were cheesy. The plot reminded me of a generic sci-fi story which means I always knew what would happen. In the end I have no desire to see this movie again and I may have already forgot most of what it was about.
Rated 18 May 2013
there's barely anything new in this movie, but everything is presented well, the cool gadgets, the whole post apocalyptic backdrop, the drones, they all click. the script may be stale, but the pacing is right, and Cruise does an adequate job.
Rated 30 Jun 2013
Derivative sci-fi made far cooler than it should be with great production design and soundtrack. See it once, then just watch Moon while listening to M83.
Rated 21 Jul 2013
Looks good and keeps you interested long enough to stay with it, but at the end you're left with many questions.
Rated 11 Aug 2013
Good concept although more work was needed on the finer details and execution. Olga's character does not act in a believable way and she does not fit the role. Core information about Jack should have been drip fed instead of vomited by Freeman's character in one scene. Drone posturing near the end is ridiculous. Great visuals early on but apocalyptic setting is wasted.
Rated 12 Aug 2013
Turns out 500 letters is not enough to list even a third of the movies this one resembles. That said, I've just wasted 118 characters mentioning that. Cliff note version: Melissa Leo is beyond horrid, Cruise is...Cruise, the plot is a compilation album of used-up ideas and the effects are only groundbreaking if they had aired on the SciFi channel 15 years ago. Pros: Andrea Riseborough does her best to swim out of this puddle of mud disguising itself as pseudo-intellectual science fiction.
Rated 27 Aug 2013
One of the more surprisingly good films I've seen. Unsurprisingly, it was a gorgeous movie with a killer OST. Based on the trailers I expected it to just be a moving concept art coffee table picture book with an awful plot (thanks to the director's previous film). While it still bears the same problem (hand holding you throughout the film) as it's contemporaries (PacRim & Elysium), it doesn't interject with embarrassing monologues or ham-fisted politics.
Rated 12 Sep 2013
Some good ideas, but the pacing is all wrong and the story is confusing. I at least was reasonably entertained for most of the running time, but the big reveal (or reveals) when it finally comes is a letdown.
Rated 30 Sep 2013
The plot was a bit obvious and I felt like the movie dragged itself for two hours, I was glad when it ended. I still liked the futurustic ideas.
Rated 06 Oct 2013
Nice try but the further it gets, the sillier it becomes.
Rated 01 Nov 2013
An insipid, by the numbers post-apocalyptic affair.
Rated 12 Nov 2013
A pretty piece of shit. Steals shamelessly from better movies. Every single major plot point can be summed up as 'Hey this thing that is incredibly complex and important has been 99% done and its really important you got here, all you have to do is hit the button. HOORAY ONLY YOU COULD HAVE HIT IT!'
Rated 14 Nov 2013
A very pretty love letter to a LOT of better sci-fi films.
Rated 08 Dec 2013
"Our plot is leaking, but it's OK 'cause we have nice visuals and decent acting."
Rated 16 Mar 2014
It was just plain boring. I barely stayed awake during it. I have enough of these "Lonely guy in a Sci-fi setting, so that adding CGI is much easier; oh we are so clever" movies. Also when your twist is so obvious that, I cna figure it out at the second minute of the movie; you should try at least another twist or something. When you have a war plot you should ask yourself "Would I do this in war?", if the answer is no; then don't put it no matter how good it fits with the theme
Rated 03 Jun 2014
Love as ghost in the -human- machine is a little corny but fun. The film spreads itself so thin though and was a little too star wars (zoomorphised droids, euch) for my liking, the action scenes lacked jeopardy -felt unnecessary. I imagine it worked better as a GN.
Rated 26 Jan 2015
Bad. From the start this film wasn't able to grab my attention, looking quite generic and as something that has been done a thousand times before. It only gets worse, bad acting, laughably bad plot twists, a setting that should be atmospheric but isn't and bad dialogue. As others have pointed out, there is not a single original idea in this film, ripping off tons of other superior sci-fi films. No depth and even visually it doesn't look that good due to an overabundance of CGI. Terrible ending.
Rated 03 May 2015
I don't think it's really terrible, but I basically agree with what you guys have said already. If I am to offer any original perspective, it would be that it seems like the sort of science fiction movie, that Tom Cruise wrote (for) himself.
Rated 02 Aug 2015
This is an interesting science fiction film. The script has some good and bad moments. The actors do a good job with the material. Overall I would recommend this film.
Rated 04 Aug 2015
The film tries to straddle the line between thought-provoking and action, and produces a mediocre result by providing not much of either. The film is greatly enhanced by Cruise's presence. There is some interesting stuff about how memories inform and maintain identity, but it never extends beyond the obvious.
Rated 02 Dec 2016
Too many people expect innovation in our science fiction movies. Dramas, romantic comedies, and action movies have hardly changed in the past thirty years, so if "Oblivion" breaks no new ground, then I find it hard to call that a death blow. the fact is, "Oblivion" doesn't really push any boundaries, it's slightly run of the mill, but it's got enough good special effects and some good actors to make up for it. i'll call it what it is, a fun two hours.
Rated 11 Feb 2018
Standard Tom Cruise blockbuster fare. Beautifully presented and nice small bites of big screen sci-fi novelty, but not much else going on here.
Rated 18 Feb 2018
lacking in the originality, plausibility, and dialogue departments
Rated 08 Jan 2021
It looks very good and Tom Cruise is very solid in this very watchable but ultimately predictable thirteen in a dozen sci-fi movie.
Rated 13 May 2021
Oblivion suffers from what I'm calling the Tom Cruise Effect. It doesn't matter if there is an interesting premise, decent visuals, solid music, or anything else that would make a better-than-interesting movie, The Tom Cruise Effect makes it all mediocre. It could be because Tom Cruise always has to do Tom Cruise things and so many of his movies are sleek instead of interesting, polished instead of innovative, and bland instead of challenging.
Rated 09 Jan 2024
It has enough interesting ideas to give a mystical feel to a movie which feels - as it looks – empty. The most interesting bit though is western filmmakers' obsession with bittersweet endings. I think it was in this movie I really understood this abstraction they call internal conflict: is the spectacular inversion of "the lie" that necessary? Do we need to watch protagonists get nailed on a cross in every movie? Do we need that many army recruitment ads? I get "why" but that's besides the point
Rated 12 Apr 2013
It's like someone saw "moon" and thought: "hey, this isn't all that bad! It just needs more explosions, chicks, tom cruise and less meaning." Well, then again, someone also thought inventing the nuke was a pretty neat idea.
Rated 13 Apr 2013
Beautiful visuals, without making it look like a CGI-fest. The drama/thriller-ish story didn't really work for me though, and the pacing felt a bit off.
Rated 14 Apr 2013
Pretty much "Independence Day" copy.
Rated 15 Apr 2013
Fun but maybe a little empty. Throws a lot of ideas at the audience but never really explores them as well as could be possible. Visually it's a big love letter to science fiction film, and the visuals (and the score) are excellent. The sound design is fantastic though - the drones sound monstrous. It's worth a watch, but it may not stick with you.
Rated 15 Apr 2013
Take Aeon Flux, Independence day and some other movies and you'll have a mix of them here. Just don't forget to turn your mind off, because some of the plot twists are too unrealistic. But overall, it's a pretty good ride. I enjoyed it.
Rated 19 Apr 2013
Earth gets to play roll-over-and-die-again in "Oblivion", the newest big-budget sci-fi on the block.
Rated 20 Apr 2013
The only thing I could apply the title to was whatever happened to the point it was making, if there was one.
Rated 21 Apr 2013
Tom Cruise can't save this movie. It all looks pretty and the sounds good. But nothing is there. Boring and with a story that is more dumb science than smart.
Rated 22 Apr 2013
I enjoyed 'Oblivion' from a distance. Just don't look too close. It's one of the most visually astounding movies of the year, but dig into the story and too much is going on without a clear vision. Cruise and his fellow cast mates excel, but the movie meanders more often than drives. We've seen it many times before and that's ok. The real problem is the pacing and lack of a clean-cut story.
Rated 22 Apr 2013
It's never good when a two-hour action film feels four hours long, but that's what we get with OBLIVION. Jack Harper (Tom Cruise) helps maintain a post-apocalyptic Earth as the rest of humanity moves to Titan--but things may not be what they seem. The plot is derivative of quite a few better films--MOON especially--but it's the sluggish pace and lack of humor or character that really does it in. The cast isn't bad, but most of them have little to do. Nice production design, but it's not enough.
Rated 23 Apr 2013
Visually pleasing, intriguing story, well acted, decent music, definitely worth watching. Classic sci-fi feel without a focus on special effects and mindless action.
Rated 23 Apr 2013
Fun and atmospheric up until the point it becomes pretty stupid. Which I think is about halfway through.
Rated 23 Apr 2013
Started amazingly well, then tumbled into all clichés that exist today. So many things that didn't make sense, the problems are all in the plot.. So many plot holes and silly things happening, it just got stupid after a while.
Rated 23 Apr 2013
A reasonably entertaining waste of Coster-Waldau and Riseborough's talents. It thinks that it's cleverer than it actually is, unfortunately. Oh well. Pretty toys!
Rated 24 Apr 2013
Certain elemtents doesen't work, but the style is really cool, and some of the scenes are among the most memorable in recent time.
Rated 25 Apr 2013
This film feels really empty. Morgan Freeman gets five minutes of screen time and isn't even utilized efficiently. The soundtrack was decent and the cinematography and CGI was great. Bad pacing can make it feel like a real drab at points.
Rated 26 Apr 2013
Really couldn't get into it. I feel like most of the blame for that should go to the super sloppy screenplay
Rated 27 Apr 2013
Some ridiculously obvious mistakes in the plot really drag this down. Could have been a lot of fun, but these kind of movies really lose a lot of goodwill when they don't treat their audiences as intelligent.
Rated 27 Apr 2013
Horribly predictable and the acting was cringe-worthy at times...
Rated 28 Apr 2013
The plot is essentially a grab bag of elements from both iconic and lesser-known sci fi films. It mostly works, though. There were some real problems though, including some clumsy exposition (which is repeated again half way though), some action scenes with no stakes whatsoever, and a lack of true suspense for those familiar with the genre. But it is entertaining throughout and the sound and visuals are pretty amazing. Overall, a successful blockbuster.
Rated 02 May 2013
I got swept up in it. I don't even care if it takes elements from other sci-fi movies because a lot of movies just take elements from other movies. We've had over 100 years of movies, it's to be expected. The story kept me guessing, it was visually stunning, Tom Cruise is wonderful like almost always, the action was thrilling. It's not without flaws, but it's a fun movie that grabbed me. The helmets and stuff that the Scavs wear were cool too.

Directed by: