Obsession

Obsession

1976
Drama, Suspense/Thriller
New Orleans businessman Michael Courtland's life is shattered when his wife and daughter are tragically killed in a botched kidnap rescue attempt... (imdb)

There's a slew of both cult and popular elements De Palma's toying with here, Hitchcock being the easy choice with the initial plot pieces & evocative score by Herrmann. It goes into some insane territory, yet it hardly seems to matter, it almost seems predestined. Truly twisted.
Most of Brian de Palma is for me unwatchable. But here like an oasis is this lovely remix of VERTIGO that really had an impact on me when I first saw it. I can't describe my favorite shot as it would spoil the ending -- but it remains one of my favorite scenes in any film, ever, and Bujold knocks it out of the ballpark. Robertson is given the full emotional palette to play with, and he really delivers. A very immersive and seductive movie, if one is willing to meet it halfway.
Its Vertigo shot through Italian genre cinema, but is something unique, a Brian De Palma film, something I haven't seen in a long while. The final twists suspend disbelief, and yet I have to admire a film that a) becomes a beautifully melancholic romance in the middle, and b) has a dreamlike mood that is artificial yet potent, the films of the 1950s (Bernard Herrmann's score links this to its Hitchcockian forefather) brought to De Palma's era where not all is what it seems even more so.
The middle act fizzles a little bit, but the rest of the film is an absolutely exhuberant, romantic and marvelously excessive delight.
I've only seen a very poor copy of this but I kinda liked it, it had a soapy, dream-like feel to it reminiscent of the works of David Lynch.

17 Collections including 10 Collaborative and 7 Public