1991
Animation
A 27-year-old office worker travels to the countryside while reminiscing about her childhood in Tôkyô. (imdb)

1991
Animation

Rated 28 Feb 2016
Sure, it's nostalgic and romantic, even dangerously close to sentimental--the ending in particular--but the emotions and the satisfaction portrayed through the beautiful music and animation... it's a genuine tear-jerker that doesn't feel forced at all; I had fallen in love with these people and I wanted them, I wanted HER, to be happy and go forward to a better future. That final meeting of past and present was emotional perfection.
Rated 03 Dec 2011
My favourite Studio Ghibli film, and it is not by Miyazaki! Controversial, perhaps, but this nostalgia-soaked drama hit all the right notes for me, and remains among my favourite films of all time! Watch it, if you haven't already.
Rated 12 Jul 2022
Coming-of-age isn't my genre, but it's done quite well here. A little dull for the majority of its run-time, and seemingly aimless, but its narrative focus is clearer towards the end, revealing something truly beautiful at its heart. The animation is understated, often grounded & detailed, but flashbacks occur with minimal colouring, shots fading out at the edges like unfinished drawings; an incomplete memory, or a view of the world that is yet to develop at the age & stage portrayed.
Rated 16 Jan 2023
The very slow pace combined with my inability to understand what was the link between the childhood flashbacks and the present story made for a pretty dull viewing experience. The beautiful imagery compensates, but it is still mostly boring.
Rated 28 May 2020
Another animation full of details and colors that are linked to the development of the protagonist. It is a film about the wisdom that we all experience with life. Very sensitive and nostalgic!
Rated 22 Jan 2022
Maybe the cultural translation didn't land for me, but the story just seemed to jump around to random memories from her childhood and not lead to any climax. The dialogue seemed like someone watched Pulp Fiction and said, "Can we do the exact opposite of that?" And the heroine got PTSD from some trivial #@!%. Props to the father who gave not one damn.
Rated 13 Jun 2020
It's an interesting look at growing up and how our childhood and past shapes who we are and what memories really stick with us. It has some beautiful imagery, but the movie is a bit slow in terms of the story. The story kind of has a romantic element, but is mostly on the ground in the ebbs and flows of life. Our events don't always make sense in a straight narrative, but they still shape us. That's what this movie taps into.
Rated 14 Feb 2016
Beautiful.
Rated 23 Jul 2018
Don't remember much.
Rated 07 Jan 2017
It's true that Pixar's Oscar darling Inside Out also concerns a young girl whose head is full of conflicting emotions. It's a modern classic. Only Yesterday comes from a quieter, less demonstrative place. As he did in his most recent and reportedly final film, The Tale of the Princess Kaguya, Takahata has built Only Yesterday to go gently and to last. Mission accomplished.
Rated 06 Feb 2024
i just think it should've focused only on yesterday
Rated 17 Mar 2020
wow ok i didnt expect this movie to be so good i love taeko and i would die for her