2006
Sci-fi
Mystery
When a machine that allows therapists to enter their patient's dreams is stolen, all hell breaks loose. Only a young female therapist can stop it: Paprika. (imdb)

2006
Sci-fi
Mystery

Rated 14 Jun 2008
Some really cool ideas and arresting images, done with an impressive animation style. But the film lacks emotional impact, and ultimately gets bogged down in typical anime conventions. Power-hungry villains, psychological bullshit, convoluted plotting, tentacle rape. My mind just kind of shuts off when people start talking about "the true power". I'm thoroughly unimpressed by Satoshi Kon so far.
Rated 22 Jul 2007
The animation is beautiful and the story is interesting, if a little too convoluted. The ending really brought the movie down for me though, and what could have been a great movie ended up being simply very good.
Rated 27 May 2008
It's like a wild and vivid dream, colors galore.
Rated 20 Apr 2009
Riddled with the cliches of anime storytelling, but its surreal, eerie, and intensely trippy dream sequences are a treat to watch. It does capture the effects of dreams/hallucinations in beautiful ways that can't be done outside of animation.
Rated 29 Nov 2011
Dreams, desires, narcissism, cinema, fiction, emergent ideas, refrigerators, frogs. All mixed into one. Damned if I could digest it all. I think it should've been tightened and restrained a little in places to really give you breathing space to feel the film's essence, rather than having to constantly follow a step behind trying to decipher real from unreal from ununreal. The social commentary also fell flat, compared with Paranoia Agent anyway. No doubt however, a truly great animated feature.
Rated 06 Jun 2007
The animation is amazing, but that's all this movie has going for it. The story being border-line incomprehensible makes watching it pretty damned boring. The trailer was actually better than the movie.
Rated 04 Oct 2014
Anime's answer (or, better, precursor) to Inception, with all that implies. Absolutely stunning dream sequences. The plot is far from logical or coherent, but that's clearly not the main objective here. Sheer enjoyment. And Paprika the character is cute as hell.
Rated 17 Mar 2009
Succeeds in being dreamy and surreal, the plot accompanied by the style of the animation is a fantastic pair. That song that always is played with the marching dream sequence is defintely a fitting pick. My only complaint is the women's voices in the movie are annoyingly stereotypical for a japanese person. Definately a good movie that pushes the boundries of reality.
Rated 28 Jul 2021
a solid 90 minute runtime of ''wait, what'' and ''ooh cool''
Rated 20 Jul 2007
Explores the space between cinema and dreams in the most exhilarating way possible.
Rated 19 May 2008
Meh. Neat idea, mediocre movie. The thing that impressed me most was the construction of the cop's backstory and his dream--that's a perfect example of dream logic, and that kind of thing is hard to write. Big fat point deductions for a huge lack of character development, general failure to be more interesting, tentacle rape, and lame-o deus ex machina ending out of nowhere.
Rated 19 Sep 2019
i like paprika it good on potato
Rated 21 Dec 2008
Stunning animation and beautiful scene after scene. A complex dialogue time after time, but the story itself is not bothered with it much. Great characters, humour, a bit of erotism and overwhelming details make this story way more interesting dream interpretation than Linklaters' (over)filosofic Waking Life.
Rated 21 Dec 2020
Paprika: "Don't you think dreams and the internet are similar? They're both areas where the repressed conscious mind vents."
Rated 21 Feb 2015
Cinema as a form of collective dreaming, both fantastic and insidious, the stakes of which are the controllability or otherwise of desire. The imagery is vivid and complex, if not quite beautiful, and the ideas are interesting and indeed highly relevant to the problems of contemporary living, but, as seems inevitable with this kind of cartoon, the characters are at best one-dimensional and the dialogue mediocre if not painfully stilted. I still prefer INCEPTION.
Rated 13 Sep 2021
Very good. I bought this after seeing Perfect Blue and was NOT disappointed. I think it’s really well directed and very cleverly edited, but the story is also paced well enough and easy enough to follow that I never got lost in what was going on. I did, however, get lost in the characters, especially Chiba and Paprika. I did catch mroe on the second viewing too, so seeing it again and again will be really fun. Gorgeously animated and expertly told in a way that only Satoshi Kon can.
Rated 30 Nov 2009
Modern cinema has a lot to learn from this beautiful, complex psychological experience.
Rated 10 Aug 2010
Pretty animation and a some conceptually memorable scenes doesn't save this story from being your average Manga hokum, complete with a display of supernatural powers and gratuitous nudity. References to the monkey king will get a movie everywhere, but on the other hand the meta-talk about movies was borderline unbearable.
Rated 20 Aug 2013
In response to Judge Holden: There's barely any nudity in this movie, let alone gratuitous nudity. Also, the tentacle rape was very mild and the only orifice that was penetrated was the mouth. Stop exaggerating, you pervert. That being said, your point about this film revolving around bullshit pop psychology is the truth, though this was sometimes overshadowed by its great visual flair, so I liked it much more than you.
Rated 23 Nov 2011
What can I say? The film that inspires me to make movies. A beautifully animated adventure that passes from surreal to real in a blink of an eye. Watch in the original Japanese, because it is poetry. The dream driven speeches flow with elegance that only exists within this film. Thank you Satoshi Kon for this film, and RIP.
Rated 22 Feb 2012
Holy moly. This is everything Inception wishes it could have been, blurring the lines between reality and dreams (and movies, as it were) in a wildly imaginative manner. It scarcely slows down for a moment, leaping from one crazy setpiece to the next, never pausing to catch its breath. An utter blast.
Rated 06 Mar 2012
A very good movie, with wonderful visuals and sounds, but also one that has been done better a few times. Its attempts to merge the dream world with reality, and both of those worlds with movies, aren't entirely successful, although they are quite enjoyable to watch.
Rated 04 Aug 2012
There's much to applaud about this movie - the visuals are breathtakingly gorgeous and are complimented by the equally stunning score - but 'Paprika' is by no means a perfect film. The problem with a movie about dreams is that any idea can be explained, which lets a screenwriter/director run wild. Here, it leads to a confused narrative, that tries to be to clever, at the expense of decent chracters and engaging storytelling. It's by no means bad but, like 'Inception, it can't be taken seriously.
Rated 04 May 2007
Really excellent anime...
Rated 18 Jun 2007
As far as anime goes, this is definitely one of the coolest I've seen. My head is still reeling a bit, it was just so fun to watch. Still this is another one of those movies where you try not to let the convoluted plot get in the way of your enjoyment.
Rated 22 Jun 2007
This film is an experience, it really feels like you are watching someone's dream. Gorgeous animation and soundtrack are let down by some weaker scenes during the 'reality' sequences, although they are still good enough to make this a wonderful experience.
Rated 07 Aug 2023
Interesting ideas. Very jumbled, so hard to follow
Rated 12 Aug 2007
Nice animation and some interesting ideas. But it's too wacky in some ways and too conventional in others for me to really get behind.
Rated 02 Dec 2019
Paprika pleases with its expressive animation and cyberpunk ideas. Unfortunately, the way in which the plot develops is both a little messy and lacklustre. The execution of the merged dreamscape and reality was poor. A lot of characters are introduced quickly, many of which are not that interesting but do ultimately add to the arcs of main characters. Detective Konakawa is the audience proxy, but has way too much of a side story to be helpful. I liked Doctors Chiba & Tokita’s relationship.
Rated 10 Jul 2014
Lots of colors and lots of convoluted bullshit.
Rated 20 Apr 2008
Great animation. Much like a dream, we are to draw our own conclusions on what everything means and how it is connected to us.
Rated 24 Feb 2015
Incredibly great, inventive ideas and scene moments that lose power to the convoluted story and weak characters. The magic of the first ten minutes, before the story sets in, can't be undersold. If this had a plot that an audience could follow and strong characters, we'd love it...and call it Inception *big siren noise*.
Rated 10 Jan 2009
Imagine a much loopier variation of _Brainstorm_ and you more or less have this movie. Refreshingly cerebral and complex for a modern movie, and also one of the few adventure movies with almost no real violence. Plus you just have to like an anime that alludes to _Roman Holiday_
Rated 07 Apr 2009
Surreal, imaginative, and full of crazy ideas
Rated 21 Sep 2023
Better than INCEPTION?!?!?! You must be dreamin'...
Rated 29 Jul 2009
"Akira" of this decade. Looks and sounds simply awesome, but feels like an empty shell sometimes.
Rated 26 Jul 2022
Can’t believe that a movie would rip off Inception so hard and think they could get away with it just because it’s from another country.
Rated 22 Jan 2010
Pretty average overall, but there are some exhilarating moments.
Rated 17 Jun 2010
A great example of anime at its best, a visiual expression you don't see that often. Had a lot of scenes I couldn't understand right away but as it was such a wonderful experience I was totally absorbed in it.
Rated 07 Dec 2021
Tough to rate. It's imaginative in so many ways. But it relies too much on the cartoony bad guy pushing the story and the surrealism sometimes goes a bit too bonkers (not helped by the subtitles, which don't indicate that the incomprehensible sentences aren't supposed to be comprehensible). To me, it felt like it was going in one direction at the beginning, and then switched somewhere in the middle to a different (and more conventional) story.
Rated 10 Sep 2010
This movie disappointed me. A very good film, with amazing animation, but a lackluster plot that starts off confusing, doesn't explain itself, and then when you think you finally have an idea of what is going on, the plot's all like, FUCK YOU, and the movie ends and you're left to try to piece together what you just saw.
Rated 29 Mar 2018
Concept beats execution
Rated 22 Mar 2013
I'm not sure that it all comes together in to a completely convincing whole, but taken simply as an opportunity for the director to splurge his imagination, dream logic and visual ideas on to the screen I enjoyed it quite a lot.
Rated 25 Jan 2012
Stunning visually and par for the course in Japanese anime (meaning the story is messed up in a wonderfully weird sort of way).
Rated 16 Jan 2018
The ideas are abstract: dreaming as the last refuge from the technological world, cinema as a language of collective unconscious. There are a lot of details to decipher, needlessly or not, but for me the important thing is simply the general uncanny feeling. Take delight in the unpredictable stream of dazzling imagery. This movie is a riot.
Rated 21 Oct 2021
From the first shot, I'm immediately feeling 'Inception' vibes, but that lasts about 5 seconds before this movie becomes entirely different. The animation and sound design are flawless in my opinion, the humor really works for me as well. Kon gives us yet another powerhouse female protagonist in Chiba/Paprika, which he seems to be good at. All in all, this is very original and entertaining film that you'll probably need to watch at least twice. I give 9 DC Minis out of 10.
Rated 04 Feb 2017
Deeply frustrating. It wants to be a complex, thoughtful work about dreams, reality, fiction, and what's really driving us. But it doesn't have the understanding that it pretends to; not on dreams and reality, not on genius and science, not on maturity and immaturity, and definitely not on men and women. The characters are flat stereotypes, bringing no new understanding of how people work to the table. Excellent animation, excellent soundtrack, lovely imagery, but none of it *means* anything.
Rated 10 Aug 2012
I have no idea what I just watched. But that's why I enjoyed it. It demands a second viewing for it to all 'make sense' I suppose - but I don't really want to do that, it'll probably ruin the entire thing - and the music was freaking awesome!
Rated 29 Nov 2012
It took me a couple of viewings to fully appreciate "Paprika". Its plotting is messy, and the screenplay often too simple for the more complex ideas it plays with. But I can't say I didn't do anything other than love this movie on each viewing. The visuals and sound completely won me over and although not always successful in its more existential aims, I just didn't care. Hell, I'd give it T10 just for the parade scenes!
Rated 09 Dec 2012
Gorgeous animation and an ambitious plot that loses points for not making much sense in the end. Despite that, it's a lot of fun and disturbing imagination that you can't help but enjoy.
Rated 21 Apr 2020
Will never understand why this movie is beloved. But one thing's for sure, Nolan milked at least a couple of films out of it.
Rated 24 Oct 2007
The grafics are brilliant and the score somewhat original. Also some scenes are very interesting. Paprika could have been great but there is to much going on for my taste, it would have gained by waiting longer for the climax.
Rated 02 Nov 2007
null
Rated 17 Jan 2008
Pretty damn awesome...but you just have to go with it and not think too hard. Reality and dreams collide into something sweeeeeeeeeeeet.
Rated 01 Sep 2022
I really like this film. It's visually dazzling and has some incredible animation. It's not my favourite of Satoshi Kon's films mostly because my brain stubbornly refuses to comprehend it.
Rated 13 May 2015
The plot was pretty messy and hard to follow, but the visuals alone were interesting enough to pull it through and keep me engaged.
Rated 04 May 2008
Offbeat, quirky, deeply thought through and a bizarre animation. Well worth watching with a cerebral and original story line. Worth trying.
Rated 06 May 2008
Beautiful. Absolutely beautiful animation. Story is so-so, though I have to give them credit because I can not predict how the story would end.
Rated 14 Nov 2019
hayaller, yaşam ve filmler arasında olan duvarları tek bir vücut haline getirerek gerçekliğin fantezi ile iç içe olduğunu anlamamızı sağlayan iyi işlenmiş bir fantasmagoria = Paprika.
Rated 26 Jul 2008
Magnificent sci-fi anime zooms back and forth between dreams and reality, with a great apocalyptic ending.
Rated 29 Jul 2008
completely random, beautiful music and animation, story did end up typing all the chaos together in the end. Loved it!
Rated 17 Aug 2008
Very beautiful animation. The story seems too complex and spread out but it really isn't when you watch it the right way.
Rated 25 Aug 2008
This movie is great fun.
Rated 28 Jul 2022
an amazing film but the sexual assault scene felt exploitative
Rated 08 May 2016
A similar idea to Inception, but next to this Inception will look like just another brainless action flick. Paprika is a really superb movie, its only real sin is that the story is just so complex and multi-layered that it has to be watched several times just to piece everything together.
Rated 19 Dec 2008
Quite a high degree of "wtf" in this one, but an excellent film - even though it is not in my favourite style. Hurray for Paprika!
Rated 21 Dec 2008
Very quirky, stylish, smooth, and cool.
Rated 22 Dec 2008
Visually fantastic, short on story
Rated 25 Mar 2009
when the ghost girl is growing up you cant see her gash two thumbs down
Rated 06 Apr 2009
Cool premise, Mediocre execution. A few the sequences were pretty trippt, though.
Rated 29 Oct 2023
eng; [paprika]; der traum eines mannes wird scheinbar gestohlen und ähnliche fälle breiten sich aus - da soll paprika helfen, eine dame die sich fließend im traumland bewegt.; (etwas unemotional aber beeindruckend);
Rated 23 Oct 2009
ta chidita pa un rato.. buen tema de còmo los sueños y pesadilals se revualcan a la realidad.
Rated 07 Dec 2009
the story was good, animation was good... but it was somewhat... dont know the word
Rated 20 Dec 2009
Trippy and great soundtrack.
Rated 06 Sep 2015
From the boundless imagination of Satoshi Kon comes another example of great art in Japanese animation. Satoshi Kon's filmography is probably the best example I've found of true artistic expression working really well in an animated medium. Paprika is a trip and a half, and though there are a small handful of narrative shortcomings, they can be largely overlooked in favor of the evocative depth on display. This movie has so much to say about the duality of human existence, and I love that depth.
Rated 20 Aug 2013
The plot was really good, as well as the character ambiguity. The blurring of the border between dreams and reality, however, was often random or uninteresting. I generally liked the music and the animation, and the ending was quite good.
Rated 30 May 2010
One of those few movies that successfully pulls off the 'dreams merging with reality' concept. It might not be the most original story ever, but the animation is good and there are some inspired creepy and fantasy-gone-wild moments that tickled my fancy.
Rated 23 Jul 2010
I normally don't like anime but this film was an exception. Total mind rape.
Rated 28 Jul 2018
An explosion of animation with a great story. Most of what I don't like about this film is with the ending. It just sort of happens and feels forced.
Rated 27 Nov 2010
An above-average plot spiced up by beautiful visuals and sound. Some parts are mildly anime-cliched but they don't detract from the whole.Certainly well above average for an anime movie.
Rated 22 Dec 2010
hilarious and trippy at times. quasi-harvey birdman
Rated 09 Jan 2011
This is a film that for me demands a second viewing as I didn't quite get all of this film the first time around.I found this film to be a highly entertaining film that is visually stunning.The surreal storyline really messes with are preconceived notions about what is reality and really left me twisted up at the end.
Rated 15 Feb 2011
Amazing visual experience with an interesting plot and very beautiful music. A perfectly done film.
Rated 24 Nov 2021
Very cool. Left not feeling much, but really appreciate the visuals. People poured so much time & talent & dedication into this.
Rated 12 Jun 2013
See, now if Inception had had some cool imagery like this, I could have gotten behind it a lot more eagerly.
Rated 25 Jun 2011
Good. A young female doctor assisted by a sprite tries to stop a mind controlling machine. It features very creative and beautiful animation but the real highlight is the intensely deep and intricate plot that you get lost into or lose if you linger off screen too long. Well directed and perfect for even casual anime viewers. Recommended.
Rated 08 Jul 2011
I have mixed feelings about this movie. I didn't like the first half a lot, it was actually quite annoying. Second half was much better. The animation is also really good
Rated 15 Jul 2011
I have to watch this again soon, because I struggeled to keep up with the pace at some moments. It's a fantastic film, noe questions about that, but i felt the story somehow drowned in all the action and complicated plot. The visuals are absolutely stunning, and the narrative is compelling. A great film, but to fully appreciate it as a masterpiece I need to rewatch it.
Rated 21 Jul 2011
I liked the ideas of the film a great deal, as it explores the way that terrorism and its resulting fears lead to fruitless attempts to avoid reality through retrieving the innocence of childhood. Implied in the action is the question of whether to embrace reality or retreat from it. The animation is beautifully done, particularly showing its importance and beauty in the scenes of the dreamworld. Clearly Nolan and company watched this more than a few times before the, uh, inception of Inception.
Rated 05 Nov 2021
Old rating (October 2011): 84
Rated 14 Feb 2018
Very interesting psycho-thriller, but it left me rather confused at points. Lots of potential, but not all of it realized. Good nonetheless.
Rated 21 Oct 2023
Kinda veers into AKIRA's lane, where it can only suffer from comparisons. But it is beautiful and weird and unsettling and tough to comprehend in the way that most dreams are.
Rated 20 Oct 2011
"The idea of cinema as irrepressible bogeyman might be Kon's own confession." - Keith Uhlich
Rated 19 Jan 2012
The one word that comes to mind when trying to describe this film is: awesome. The visual ideas in this anime are incredible and are expertly realised by the beautiful animation. This is one of the best anime films I've seen - it's interesting, it's trippy, it's exciting, it's creepy, it's brilliant.
Rated 11 Oct 2023
An equally playful and cerebral setup; its influence on one Western mindbender is definitely apparent. Despite a short run time, there's a genuinely surprising character arc, but there's a fleeting quality to it all, as if, well, from a dream.
Rated 01 Apr 2012
Not an animation for kids. Dreams, nightmares, psychology, control. Before Inception and much more provocative.
Rated 10 Apr 2012
Like Inception, but watchable.
Rated 16 Apr 2012
Holy mother of Gads. I watched this some time after Inception. This just blew my mind. I don't exactly understand what is going on. But Satoshi Kon built such as fantastical and ridiculously fun world I just got totally immersed in all of it. I fell in love during the first hallucinatory scene and when the theme song started playing.
Rated 31 Oct 2014
on cinema. the music is insane.
Rated 04 Aug 2012
Beautifully animated sense-free shouting and explosions