Pickup on South Street
Pickup-on-South-Street

Pickup on South Street

1953
Drama, Crime
While on the subway to deliver a piece of film she believes contains corporate secrets, Candy's wallet is stolen by Skip McCoy... (imdb)
FlixFlingPlexPlex Player

Being a pickpocket is okay as long as you're not a commie bastard. Widmark is a let down, playing a devious thief who gets redemption and our sympathy simply for not being a Red and finding love in an unnecessary subplot.
Tight, tense and very stylish, this essential noir maintains a brisk pace throughout its short running time. Fuller intersperses the coldness of the usual dark themes with well-handled emotional moments and treats the interesting characters to many great close-ups. Between this and 'Shock Corridor', he is an exciting discovery and might just become one of my favorite directors. I can't wait to check out more of his films.
I wanted to love this film. I really did. I just couldn't bring myself to do it. Fuller weaves a good yarn, and I was completely ensnared. The problem? Most of the action hinges on a ludicrous romantic subplot. If someone punched me out and dumped beer on my head, I wouldn't want to kiss them. I'd want to kill them. Phenomenal film ruined by this silliness.
An entertaining, quick noir movie that boils a nice simmering tension. It really picks up once the violence starts and the final fight scene is the tits. Thelma Ritter is fantastic. I had to dock a couple of points for the unnecessary romantic subplot, but it's good stuff all the rest of the way.
Wonderful picture of some dodgy characters. Widmark, Peters and Ritter are none of them horrible, but none of them middle-class honest. The picture tells us their stories. Sure, there's a story about communist spies, but it's unimportant. None of them really cares much about reds; Thelma Ritter's Mo says she doesn't like them, but that's all. And, after all, she gets the most sentimental scene, her death, which is all about not getting the burial she wants, but accepting that.

Poster supplied bygauntletGauntlet