Picnic at Hanging Rock

Picnic at Hanging Rock

1975
Mystery

Rated 20 May 2010
Speaking as someone who has spent the past eight months in school reading lengthy case law on corporate liability and incomprehensible legislation dealing with the subdivision of real property, I can safely say that this film is fucking boring.
Rated 17 Jun 2009
From the soft, hazy photography to the eerie score and pace, it's clear that Weir's intent is to hypnotize the audience. And this film is nothing if not spellbinding. The uniquely Australian themes were lost on me initially, but the exploration of sexual repression and hysteria was very clear. I see a lot of this movie in Sofia Coppola's The Virgin Suicides, although I'm sure that's an oft-made comparison. They're both equally beautiful and haunting.
Rated 09 Mar 2007
An awesome movie by one of the most underrated modern directors. Profound, literate, rich with symbolism, beautifully shot and immaculately acted, Picnic at Hanging Rock seeks to extend our conception of what it means for someone to be lost.
I was hoping for something more with this one. I'm not sure what exactly, but the movie felt to me like something was missing. It didn't appeal to me on a gut level as I was hoping it would. It has some great cinematography and music, and some of those scenes up at the titular rock are excellent. On the whole, however, I was underwhelmed.
Rated 03 Dec 2008
"Everything begins and ends at exactly the right time and place." After the movie ended, I instantly thought of "Don't Look Now". They both made me feel the same sense of unease, which I believe is part of the point Weir is trying to make here. His direction is appropriately spacey and dream-like, and the story is told in such a way that the "non-ending" (certain people will see it that way, even if it's not true) is not an issue at all. A well done, head-scratcher (in a good way) of a movie.
Rated 29 Apr 2009
Sexual repression makes nature go wild.
Rated 27 Oct 2007
This movie warped my fragile little mind.
Rated 24 Jan 2008
Very strange and very beautiful. The film also appears to be full of symbolism. That's a lot of people clinging to virginal innocence in the middle of summer with nature in full bloom.
Rated 18 Aug 2009
Objectively, this is a pretty great movie. Well shot, scored, and edited, the film's technicalities accentuate the story's ambiguity. Unfortunately its elusive qualities inspired not curiosity, but boredom. A respectable film, but it just didn't hit me on a gut level.
Rated 26 Oct 2010
Even better than I remembered, and it haunted me for 25 years. Keeps you in a delicious paradox of wanting to know the answer but also never wanting the mystery to end.
Rated 24 Jan 2012
The cinematography and score are so ethereal. A haunting tale of longing and isolation. The lack of clarity as to what actually happened really makes this a creepy, unsettling film.
Rated 06 Jan 2018
The driving action culminates within the first hour and what's left are dreadfully boring reactions and confused attempts to make sense of it all. It simply does not need to be as long as it is, and what's there isn't all too thrilling in my opinion. It's loaded with Freudian symbolism and allegory but the meat of this film is quite unfulfilling.
A beautiful, bizarre, poetic film.
Rated 01 Sep 2007
This movie sort of frightened me. I didn't know what to expect, and it sucked me into it's strange atmosphere. There's a great deal of unease and tension, and it layers mystery upon mystery up until the very end, and then it tells you nothing. But that's what's great about it.
Rated 14 Mar 2009
Great score. I like when the austere bitch in charge calls the orphan girl an ignoramus.
Rated 29 Aug 2009
A rare mystery that remains mysterious even after the events of the film unfold. The oppression that fills the lives of the students is palpable, and simple beauty of Hanging Rock becomes an alien force when some of the girls wander off into the wilderness.
Rated 23 Nov 2009
It didn't do anything for me. There's no real focus, either stick with one of the boys, the orphan girl or the head-teacher. Its' all too fragmented.
Rated 30 Jan 2010
The movie has an absolutely amazing first act that does a great job of building to the "big" moment of the film, but after it hits its high note the movie becomes much less engaging. The problem is not the lack of a resolution, I think the issue is that the story follows threads that I don't think are so engaging while not paying more time to the things that would be. Ultimately, much like the characters in the film, once Miranda goes, you kind of wish she'd come back.
Rated 21 Oct 2010
If Terrence Malick made an X-files episode... Weir makes a minimalist film feel rich with his delicate, haunting touch. Perfect use of music. I just can't get over how much that one girl looked like a young, female Stephen Fry, though.
Rated 28 Nov 2010
Aesthetically speaking I personally don't respond as much to soft, hazy and somewhat lush tones as I do to harsh (often monochromatic) ones. Such quibbles aside "Picnic at Hanging Rock" manages to hit an uncomfortable discord despite - or perhaps because of - the harmony inscribed in every lyrical scene. It's unsettling in all of its curious harmony. It's quite unlike anylike anything perhaps barring Coppola's "Virgin Suicides". An obvious idiosyncratic Aussie double with Roeg's "Walkabout".
Rated 24 Dec 2011
A fascinating, unsolvable mystery which is, in a way, about its very unsolvability. Set in a remote time and place (rural Australia, 1900), the feeling of lostness, combined with the deep, often unspoken love between characters, creates a unique and haunting atmosphere. Fine acting all around; Peter Weir's direction is patient and subtly imaginative; Cliff Green's script balances dreamy mystery and the structures of Victorian society skillfully. Some heavy-handed symbolism; otherwise a winner.
Rated 12 Aug 2012
It's filmed SO carefree and wistful that it left me utterly indifferent. I feel like they filmed the story as told to them by Jenna Elfman.
Rated 20 Oct 2012
Unique arthouse-mystery with stunning visuals and an effectful mood of foreboding.
Rated 17 Mar 2013
Stunningly beautiful, soaked through with unspoken connections... a dream within a dream that pays off by refusing to give us clear-cut answers.
Rated 31 Mar 2015
Beautiful, mysterious and somewhat irritating. The building of tension and suspense isn't on point but can't be regarded as flawed. It's appealing in an unusual way which comes with a cost in terms of appreciation of a smooth cinematic experience.
Rated 25 Apr 2015
I think I must be doomed...I don't feel at all well.
Rated 10 Jun 2015
Victorian sexual hysteria+the ancient, mysterious geography of Australia=mesmerizing, hypnotic horror. Weir's film expertly plays with the chasm between the buttoned-up European settlers of Down Under and the primal mysticism imbued in the country's landscape.The film is almost pure atmosphere, akin to an Impressionist canvas, and that's okay -- let it wash over you, let your imagination fill in whatever holes you want, and it will stick with you for days.
Rated 08 May 2018
A beautiful ethereal tale that leaves questions and is loaded with metaphor. Weir's film is a tool box that many other directors have reached into (Sofia Coppola in particular) as he is able to capture collective innocence against a fairly morse and unsettling narrative.
Rated 28 Nov 2020
I didn't appreciate this film as a cinematographic experience, so it left me bored and mildly creeped out. The music in the first half was atmospheric and deep but this seeemed out of place with the incredibly dull visual storytelling.
Rated 14 Jun 2020
An Urban Outfitters edition of L'Avventura. But more seriously, this is a film about desire, or rather the disappearance of object(s) of desire. About the taboo je ne sais quoi of virginity and its inescapable control on fantasy. We, just as the many characters in the film, spend the entire runtime of the film none the wiser; instead enriched by the ethereal power of the zone and the hallucinogenic symbolism of purity in limbo. Should be even better on rewatch.
Rated 19 Jun 2020
Nice of the Hanging Rock to invite us over for a picnic, eh Luigi?
Rated 02 Mar 2007
Strange film.
Score based on distant memory.
Just beautiful. Nothing else. A moving painting.
Weird in a weird sort of way...if that tells you anything.
Absolutely freaky stuff.
Rated 29 Sep 2007
The usual Peter Weir gobbledygook--but Miranda as a Botticelli angel is good.
Rated 22 Oct 2007
Weir manages to create a magnificent atmosphere in which the mystery itself (rather than the solving of it) seems to be the point. That people degenerate when confronted with the tragic mystery of the disappearance undermines all that the modern society of 1900 "western" society was based upon. Weir keeps the film fresh by allowing the images nearly free reign, the editing creating an intriguing mix of moments that constantly confronts us with the pain of the unknown.
Rated 16 Nov 2007
this movie just sticks with me.
Rated 02 Mar 2008
# 591
Rated 19 Dec 2008
Rated 15 Jan 2009
I guess I should have liked this more, but I actually thought it was SO methodically slow with little to really engage you or keep you analyzing the scene. Another movie I plan on giving a shot in the future.
Rated 27 Feb 2009
Loved this movie! Beautifully shot with a haunting recurring theme in the soundtrack. A must see!
Rated 06 Apr 2009
I've seen this twice now and it just doesn't hit the spot for me. There is some beautiful scenery and period detail to appreciate, and certainly an air of mystery, but the film's structure is so wishy-washy. I was never gripped. I never cared. The director doesn't seem to care either. The second half of the film is just a series of episodes which get us no closer to anything and make no statements or metaphors. I must be seriously dense not to get this film; I do like other directionless films.
Rated 01 Nov 2022
Gorgeous and haunting. Loved the hazy look and finding out it was created by putting various bridal veils in front of the lens is perfect
Rated 17 Aug 2009
A very strange, mysterious film, even unsettling at times. The mystery of what happened on Hanging Rock is incredibly compelling and the lack of explanation gives this a supernatural edge. Incredibly beautiful, too - gorgeous photography, and great music (flutes rule).
Rated 20 Aug 2009
There's a certain emptiness to the film that was initially disappointing, but the strength is in the details. Long lingering shots, mysterious relationships, bursts of action followed by inevitable frustration and avoidable tragedy. All these things contribute to a film that leaves you slightly haunted well beyond the initial disappearance.
Rated 24 Oct 2009
This film may have had a perfect score, utterly perfect. Wonderful cinematography as well, lots of incredibly creative shots are to be found. These combine to make this a really mysterious film where it feels like there's always something sinister just beneath the surface, well, maybe not by the end.
Rated 21 Dec 2009
Not unlike Roeg did in Walkabout, Weir succumbs to lensing the Aussie nature and wildlife like a tourist would. This distracts from an otherwise eerie, if dramatically limp, Proustian chiller. A film like this is hard to rate objectively since it either speaks to you or it doesn't (and also because I care fuck all for objectivity), so rather than saying it's a poor movie, I'll just say it wasn't my particular cup of beer.
Rated 06 Oct 2022
Kafalardaki pek çok soruyu yanıtsız bırakan, bilmece gibi, derdi olayları çözümlemekten çok, olayların yarattığı etkileri anlatmak olan filmlerden pek hoşlanmam. Ama görüntü yönetmenliği, ışık ve renk kullanımındaki ustalık, filmle bütünleşen büyüleyici müzik ve yönetmeninin bir daha hiçbir filminde gösterememiş olduğu reji becerileri, bu filmi istisna yapıyor.
Rated 15 Jan 2010
Rated 09 Mar 2010
Mystical, dreamlike horror film which poses no easy answers. A rewarding entry for those who like their thrillers done with a subtle hand.
Rated 09 Oct 2010
Absolutely spellbinding, and effortlessly so at that. Definitely reminded me a lot of Roeg's Walkabout and Antonioni's L'avventura, albeit with less overt symbolism than the former, and more sympathetic figures than the latter. I loved the way it handled its central theme of sexual repression. It's hard to believe that Weir went on to direct drivel like The Truman Show and Master and Commander.
Rated 25 Jul 2022
Hanging at Picnic Rock
Rated 04 Mar 2011
A great mystery film that really shows you the power of unexplored nature and the results of repressed sexuality.
Rated 14 Mar 2011
A distant grandfather to Trier's 'Antichrist', 'Picnic at Hanging Rock' is from back when Weir had a 'd' at the end of his name. If it does at times have dreamy images and eerie atmosphere, it also suffers from being quite drawn out. Its 'The Virgin Suicides' meets 'The Last Wave', and - to top off this cronologically ignorant and thus totally unfair review - the music reminded me of 'The Karate Kid'.
Rated 19 Jul 2011
Peter Weir's eye for Australia and his lush cinematography combined with frequent low-angle shots of the perilous Hanging Rock area do an excellent job of propelling the movie and making one forget how simple and bare-bones the story is. It's a gorgeous movie to look at with an amazing score. I found the uneven volume (with whispering and the loud score almost alternating) very annoying, but that's really a personal pet peeve.
Rated 28 Aug 2011
Good movie
Rated 30 Nov 2011
#608
Rated 12 Dec 2011
The students at private girls school Appleyard College are dressing on the morning of St. Valentine's Day, 1900. Several of the girls, including Miranda (Anne-Louise Lambert), Irma (Karen Robson), Marion (Jane Vallis), Rosamund (Ingrid Mason), waifish Sara (Margaret Nelson) and outsider Edith (Christine Schuler) read poetry and Valentine's Day cards. The group prepare for a picnic to Hanging Rock, accompanied by the remote mathematics mistress Miss Greta McCraw (Vivean Gray) and the young and
Rated 19 Jul 2022
Didn't really get into the story so much, but the visuals were consistently breathtaking.
Rated 24 Jan 2012
Certainly the most striking thing about this film for me, was its atmosphere. It has such a strange, otherworldly quality to it which made me feel quite uncomfortable and uneasy for parts of it. It's an Australian film which claims to be based on real events, but this is false. Not all that much happens in it and there's some questionable acting/characters, but its strength lies in its ability to evoke a truly unnerving mood and atmosphere which makes it worth a watch.
Rated 29 Jul 2012
Weir's exploitation roots show through at times, with some very clumsily staged sequences and wretched dialogue, and it starts to meander around the third act. Also the pan flute. But none of that is too major, as he manages to conjure an off-kilter, creepy atmosphere, and create a real sense of mystery without resorting to glib explanations. It starts strong and kinda peters out, the exact opposite of the other movie I watched today, Knife in the Water. Also holy shit Anne Lambert's face.
Rated 12 Aug 2012
Very strange movie. Music and acting are both rather good. It also has some catchy phrases, but I wouldn't call it "great". The action is rather sleepy. In general, one of those movies which are supposed to make a man wonder and feel and not wait in excitement for the conclusion of events.
Rated 12 Aug 2012
okul, okul gezisi, piknik, avustralya, kayip, üc kiz ve bir ögretmen kayip olur, Gizem, Dram (Kesinlikle Korku degil, sonu acik, ne oldugu bilinmiyor. )
Rated 12 Jun 2013
Like a Renoir painting. Great cinematography and music. A Costume drama with a puzzle mystery.
Rated 09 Jul 2013
This film, once you see it, stays somewhere deep in you unconscious and you can never unsee it.
Rated 12 Jul 2013
A mystery that is more in line with real life happenings that remain unsolved than with typical movies that try to explain every detail. A group of girls go missing while exploring nature and everyone - whether it is the film's characters or the viewer - wants to know the truth. Maybe the truth is that nature lives by different rules than us measly human beings. Peter Weir paints it all with a haunting dreaminess that overwhelms to the point of dread.
Rated 23 Aug 2013
Picnic at Hanging Rock both excels as a mystery film, and at displaying great cinematography.
Rated 06 Sep 2013
For such a strange tale, this is appropriately evocative, ethereal in its editing and cinematography, and has a real gentleness that lures us into the scarier moments of the film (the scene of the girls' "disappearance" is damn creepy). A bit too wishy-washy and navel-gazing to be a masterpiece, but still a very good watch.
Rated 08 Oct 2013
Rated 06 Sep 2021
I came to rely on that woman... trust her. How could she allow herself to be spirited away? Lost. Raped. Murdered in cold blood like a silly school girl on that wretched Hanging Rock
Rated 01 Aug 2014
"What we see and what we seem are but a dream, a dream within a dream."
Rated 15 Oct 2014
Quite possibly the worst film I've seen from the 70s. It's one of those movies that an alarming amount of people consider to be a "classic". Three hot girls and a broad who looks like that teacher from Harry Potter disappearing within a rock formation is not a classic. They should have all laid down and backed a lawnmower over their necks. Now that would be a classic.
Rated 10 Nov 2014
Ethereal and disquieting.
Rated 22 Nov 2014
Pretty much like a Rollin, and equally silly, but more consistent.
Rated 27 Dec 2014
at times utterly gorgeous, especially the first half-hour, but not quite sustained throughout. like: "except for those people down there, we might be the only living creatures in the whole world"///insects. wow.
Rated 12 Jan 2015
God dang the title sounds like some Clint Eastwood/Charles Bronson blood soaked western not 115 minutes of terrifying whimsy. I love it when a movie is weird and challenging and doesn't explain anything and EARNS IT.
Rated 09 Jun 2015
Kind of the epitome of the elliptical art movie. It's daunting and gloomy, a mystery that is at turns personal and impossibly apocalyptic, gauzy images and profound dialogue complemented by an unsettling pan flute score. Unfortunately, it runs out of steam by the end, but an indispensable film nonetheless.
Rated 21 Nov 2015
First 20 minutes create an absorbing atmosphere whose uncanny nature renders its naturalness as 'wrong' in subtle yet identifiable ways: the strange, lyrical dialogue that wafts in and out; the score, its light pan flute underscored by sinister sounds of organs and choirs; a general sense of unease and foreboding that makes for incredibly creepy viewing. Sadly, much thereafter feels more like a general mystery than the surreal, poetic nightmare of the beginning. Still, it's interesting viewing.
Rated 23 Dec 2015
Entertaining, but I don't really want to see it again.
Rated 12 Apr 2016
Score based on director's cut.
Rated 02 Jul 2016
I loved the eerie atmosphere and the flute on the soundtrack was the perfect accompaniment. Quiet, slow, thoughtful, strange.
Rated 20 Nov 2016
She is really out from a Botticelli...
Rated 06 Aug 2021
8?Ivan /?????????????????????????????/????????????"??????????????????????????????????"
Rated 11 Oct 2017
Beautiful, and very smart use of music and period setting
Rated 18 Oct 2017
I was complitely hypnotized.
Rated 23 Dec 2017
A phenomenal film with unique storytelling, score and cinematography...
Rated 05 Feb 2018
Mysterious, Beautiful and very Austrialian ... or what I imagine that to be
Rated 01 May 2018
Beautifully filmed but overall less than satisfying.
Rated 07 May 2024
Terrible score that adds nothing but frustration from being monotonous and out of place. Story itself is sometimes slightly engaging but not enough to compensate 2 hours of runtime. Tries to be mysterious but at the same time smashes sexual topics all over your face. Somehow it became critics' choice and now people feel bad for criticizing it.
Rated 28 Sep 2018
I didn't enjoy it at all and stopped watching halfway through. As boring as they come.
Rated 11 Nov 2018
Sex as natural mystery? Whodunnit whahappened nonsense as an excuse for styling directorial flourishes which, however enticing, can't nearly sustain the whole thing.
Rated 22 Jan 2019
ethereal women having picnic at hanging rock. they disappear and everyone else slowly goes crazy. + for the beauty - for the lack of mystification
Rated 20 Jul 2019
There is something eerily beautiful about films that detail the exploits of Australia's first settlers with the harsh wonderment of its landscape (Proposition, Van Diemen's land) and this is possibly the best of the bunch. The magnificent, grandiose soundtrack is one of the key players here, it threatens to be overbearing but somehow works. A magical dream of a movie.
Rated 30 Aug 2019
Haunting melodies, gruesome nature, and a touch of beauty. A good slow-burning mystery.
Rated 27 Jan 2020
Although angelic and soft in character, it's mystery becomes dreadful as the viewer tries to understand the evil antagonist. Intended to protect the innocence, repression on the youth becomes doomed by the wickedness of primal nature. An atmosphere waiting to trap you in.
Rated 19 Mar 2020
Watched it in bits and spurts because it never grabbed my attention. Doesn't live up to the promise of the beginning, when the sound and cinematography work together to create a unique mood. Although the headmistress is an interesting character, there's not much else to generate interest.
Rated 26 Jul 2020
Preface this by saying I watched a terrible transfer of the film so score may increase on viewing a better version. The potential for a great film is here as evident in those eerie moments of Victoriana and paganism combined with music - perhaps the best aspect of the film - that is refined and suitably elemental. However, these moments are too few mainly due to the generally underwhelming acting on display (Jarret and Weaver are the exception). The final shot is superbly ethereal.
Rated 12 Sep 2020
Captivating, albeit a bit slow at times.