Pinocchio

Pinocchio

1940
Family/Kids

Rated 28 Apr 2020
Pinocchio himself is a cipher of a character, acting (or rather, reacting) only as he must to advance the plot, but everything surrounding him is rich and fascinating. The advances in animation since Snow White only a year or two before are monumental, and the donkey transformation scene is still as horrifying as it ever was.
Rated 28 Mar 2007
Deserves everything he gets, the wooden idiot. Listen to the magic talking cricket, you aren't even on drugs!
Rated 27 Oct 2015
Pinocchio is undoubtedly one of my all time favourite Disney films and it's remarkable to think that it is now 75 years old. This was one of the first Disney films that I was introduced to and sentimentally I re-watch this film with many fond memories. I do remember being slightly scared at a young age though and looking back this film does have it's fare share of thrills & scares. Pinocchio is beautifully animated, enjoyably re-watch-able and the songs and characters are timeless creations.
Rated 11 Mar 2009
Pinocchio is better than my distant memory remembers. It's endlessly watchable with a rather touching story. But the animation is the true star of this picture. The Disney animators topped everything they could in Snow White, and as a result it looks just as modern as today. I can't think of a better way to determine what makes a film timeless.
Rated 02 Dec 2014
(2014-15 Disneython #2:) In some ways one of the warmer Disney films - in the relationship between Geppetto, Pinocchio, the cat, the fish and the cricket - but also one of the bleakest in its dark, dank view of most of the rest of humanity. So much kidnapping, so much child cruelty! Deus ex Blue Fairy ends up playing a slightly excessive role and the "Don't smoke cigars and play pool!" (?) moral is laugable, but the animation, as in Snow White, is excellent and wildly ambitious for 1940.
Rated 05 Nov 2011
A true marvel for Disney for sure. Pinocchio stands, to this day, as the one of the superior greats of animation with it's typically charming characters and classic writing. For sure worth a watch if you haven't already watched it.
Rated 28 Dec 2017
The animation is still jaw-dropping even after 75 years (maybe even moreso, considering all this was achieved solely by hand), but the story is disjointed and the characters, while charming, are very shallow. Pleasure Island jumps out as THE scene of pure, unbridled nightmare fuel in an otherwise whimsical romp, in a fashion only old-school Disney can achieve. One of animation's gold-standards, but honestly it's been far surpassed in the story department.
Rated 30 Jan 2007
Pinocchio is undeniably a Dinsey classic. I feel confident in saying the story was made famous by this film more than anything else. The slightly dark themes found in the older Disney films fit this one well, giving the film a more serious tone that enhances the drama more than kids can even pick up on, making this worth watching again as an adult. Really good!
Rated 22 Dec 2015
There is something miraculous stepping into world of those early Disney features. The creativity, the visual extravagance and the simple conclusion that almost every scene/moment seems to work, is something that's made these cartoons so timeless and beloved for so many years. And Pinocchio (1940) belongs up there with the best animation films ever made! So cute and thrilling at the same time! Wonderful to feel the magic, almost turning me into a kid again.
Rated 02 Mar 2007
Probably the best of the classic Disney animated films. Gorgeous animation, funny and with great music.
Rated 16 May 2007
A true Disney classic. One of the best animated films I've ever seen
Rated 20 May 2007
Another Disney classic.
Rated 02 Jun 2016
Creepy, Surreal and nightmarish, it feels thoroughly un-Disney. And while those would normally be things I'd love to see in a Disney film, this just didn't do it for me. Was it the racism? The conservative and capitalist morality? The logical inconsistencies and fairy ex-machina? The weird, almost episodic pacing? Or was it the fact that I couldn't connect to the characters because the father-son relationship was grossly under-developed? (Rhetorical Question, it was all of the above.)
Disney's greatest work-a true masterpiece.
Rated 23 Oct 2007
Nice on its own terms, though when compared with the original story, it suffers a bit as it becomes clear where the film missed some opportunities. In particular, a clearer portrayal of Pinocchio as a selfish kid, rather than as a misguided one, would help to make the final conversion more realistic and, well, necessary. The film does have some nice moments though, with the silent cat and all his physical comedy being one of Disney's funniest creations.
Rated 01 Sep 2015
It became one of Disney's most enduring, mature and beautifully-imagined perfect works, in its coming-of-age story about a boy who overcame temptation and learned courage in the face of fear and danger.
Rated 13 May 2013
Pinocchio is one of my favorite Disney movies ever released. It's certainly the scariest of them, perhaps by far. But despite that, it's a lovable and charming story that anyone would love.
Rated 24 Nov 2007
scary whale nightmares await you.
Rated 10 Mar 2008
I've got no strings and I'd be more than happy to watch it again and again. Brilliantly animated touching and warm treatment of the traditional story.
Rated 15 May 2008
They don't call them Disney Classics for nothing.
Rated 19 May 2008
it's completely obvious that the moral's of the story are tinged with sentiments of 1940's racism and superstition, but that cant stop that disney had already figured out how to make a great movie.
Rated 11 Mar 2013
Frighteningly manipulative in its support of conservative morals, and doesn't even try to be subtle about it. Pleasure Island? Holy shit. Apparently if you skip school someone will inevitably sell you to the gypsies and you'll end up playing pool with redheads. Your conscience being a slimy perv is ok though. The episode with the whale seemed really out of place and probably there just to drive home the point that the son owes his life to the father. The mother might as well not exist.
Rated 11 Sep 2008
It's easy to see why major filmmakers at the time (like Eisenstein) saw Disney as a master of the form. From character design, to visual playfulness and changing perspectives, (to montage,) there is pure joy in telling the story. The film also circumvents its plot holes due solely to its message of the inherent goodness of mankind, and there, it stands out even among its peers.
Rated 27 Oct 2008
all points dedicated to the fact that no one in the film is freaked out or weary of a giant fox walking around.
Rated 09 May 2015
Fantastic. The feel of old Disney is something - to use Disney's own cliche - magical. Pinocchio is great and pretty twisted.
Rated 12 Feb 2009
Wonderful moral tale and the part at the fair terrified me as a kid
Rated 19 Mar 2009
(2nd viewing) Alright, a bit too weird for my taste (and yes, I loved "Alice in Wonderland"). The underlying themes probably worked better 70 years ago (lying is bad, kids shouldn't...smoke...cigars...ooookeeeeey). The animation is admirable and the film's last act is probably its highlight, but as a whole, it didn't really stand the test of time. Not overrated in any way, but some of these films should only be viewed by kids...
Rated 09 Feb 2015
The classic Disney movie to end all classic Disney movies. They established the formula with Snow White, and perfected it here. This is the best the Walt Era has to offer. Darker and scarier than most Disney fare, this movie manages to juggle five really sinister villains, and the lesson is probably the hardest-earned lesson of any Disney protagonist. I didn't really like it that much as a kid, but as I grow older, I appreciate it more and more as the beautiful Disney masterpiece that it is.
Rated 09 Apr 2009
Charming, fascinating, superbly organized and streamlined cartoon feature without a single second of boredom.
Rated 08 Sep 2009
One of the most magical, charming, lovable, and fantastic films ever made - this film manages to be sort of scary and disturbing, very funny and even heartbreaking. Truly a one-of-a-kind masterpiece, and one of the few films I have emotionally been attached to since I can remember.
Rated 14 Oct 2009
A Disney classic - "When you wish upon a star..."
Rated 04 Dec 2009
A marvel: the animation is dazzling and the songs are catchy and clever.
Rated 03 Jan 2010
An extremely original storyline, enjoyable music and the animation is great. Some parts of the film were unnecessary in my opinion, but a movie with its main message now being immersed into every language's vocabulary as probably one of the most commonly quoted expressions is just amazing. Well done, Disney!
Rated 11 Apr 2023
Wait, so they kidnap the young boys, take them to a place called “Pleasure Island”, and say they won’t be boys when they leave? And then the boys stick cigars in their mouths and turn into asses? And the the asses are sold to people wealthy enough to pay for them? And they never escape? How did this end up more fucked-up than the Pinocchio movie that literally has Mussolini in it?
Rated 25 Jul 2010
The artistry was great, it was the finest art for an animated film until Bambi, Pinocchio has one of those kinds of stories that last forever.
Rated 17 Oct 2010
"Nope, no perverted subtext here." - Eric Henderson
Rated 17 Mar 2011
The most frightening Disney animated feature by far! Pinocchio takes you on an adventure that you'll not soon forget. It is truly one of Disney's best.
Rated 06 May 2012
What a fabulous moral fable!
Rated 09 Aug 2012
This is one of my favourite Disney animated films.The animation is some of the best that Disney has done.The artstyle really envokes an old world feel and the backgrounds gives an added depth and level of detail that make this a very visually appealing film.
Classic
Rated 16 Dec 2006
This film will be forever emblazoned in my mind, mostly due to the number of times I saw it as a very young child. It's iconic, and pretty creepy in a lot of ways.
Rated 02 Jan 2007
A classic movie! One of my favorites growing up
Rated 11 Feb 2007
I cried so much when Gepeto was eaten by the whale. I saw this movie when I was 4 and totally loved it.
Rated 23 Mar 2020
Seen: a few. It is hard to pinpoint the number of watches. I know I have seen it more than once as a kid, but it has been something like 25 years. My kids were watching it one day, and I passively caught a few scenes. And it is as I remembered. Not without some heart, but it is clumsy and rough, far from the glossy Disney animated movies of today. And it is simply unlikable in a lot of ways.
Rated 09 Feb 2014
It all looks wonderful, but, like with more older Disney's it's a little slow for my liking, and I miss a proper start-to-finish storyline instead of a random new adventure being thrown our way every x minutes.
Rated 18 Mar 2007
My second favorite movie as a kid.
Rated 19 Mar 2007
Classic Disney movie with wonderful music and a great story. Easily one of the best movies I've ever seen.
Rated 11 Apr 2007
Goes on a bit
Rated 04 Jul 2007
Fun and well made but feels like it's going through the motions with the story.
Rated 12 Jul 2007
A decent movie, and yet another Disney classic.
Charming little kids story with some good animation. Harmless but not really that entertaining for an adult.
They don't make cartoons like this anymore. How can you not love it? Good amount of action, fun music, and a great moral lesson.
A classic by its own merits.
Rated 10 Jul 2022
There has got to be a better way to acquire donkeys.
Great kid movie.
Rated 15 Aug 2007
One of the better Disney films, and obviously a classic. Back when these films had a firm message of morality.
Rated 29 Aug 2007
pretty cool.
Rated 16 Sep 2007
good cartoon
Rated 08 Oct 2007
Classic. The movie is fun, smart, has a great visual quality, and marked for decades the childhood of children around the world
Rated 16 Nov 2007
not one of my favorite disney movies.
Rated 08 Dec 2007
excellent animation for it's time
Rated 10 Dec 2007
Quite dark in places, overly patient in others. Some wonderful caricatures but also some unsavoury stereotypes that don't age well. In the end, the message is good even if it's hard to tell that Pinocchio earned them (does he ever share difficult truth?)
Rated 20 Jan 2008
Disney classic.
Rated 06 Feb 2020
the most i can remember that it was really cute and innocent
Rated 23 Aug 2015
I love classic Disney
Rated 30 May 2008
One of the most beautiful theme songs!
Rated 01 Jun 2008
It kind of freaks me out actually. XD
Rated 05 Jul 2008
I absolutely detest Pinocchio for no apparent reason.
Rated 13 Jul 2019
(Viewed in 2014): Although it waters down Collodi's story, removing the darker and more surreal elements of his classic morality tale, Disney were at the peak of their powers here, transforming the animated film into a bonafide artform. There is a real painterly beauty to the animation that the Mouse House is no longer capable or willing to produce, and the 'magical glow' emanating from the fluid imagery transcends simple nostalgia. It's an enchanting and enduring fairy tale for the ages.
Rated 12 May 2015
Lightning struck twice for Disney with their second film, "Pinocchio"; one of the studio's most endearing and heartfelt (and darkest!) shows confirmed in the hearts of many that animated full-length features had a place on the silver screen.
Rated 15 Oct 2008
An animation classic, too bad Disnay gave up on quality long ago.
Rated 28 Oct 2008
Childhood favorite.
Rated 19 Feb 2024
This is something of a cautionary tale and has a mind to educate children about the dangers of the world, among other things. Balancing these intentions within the drama is very well handled. This animation is lovely, but for me some of the fantasy stuff, in rendering and writing, is too much sugar. That part does not overwhelm the film thankfully.
Rated 09 Mar 2013
One of the few classic Disney movies I somewhat like. The old Disney saccharine injection certainly damages the story, but the core survives, and it's a memorable reading of a classic & universal theme (see: Pan's Labyrinth, Spirited Away, etc etc.). The occasional roughness of the animation also works in its favour, for me.
Rated 26 Jan 2009
great disney!
Rated 19 Feb 2009
Fun and classic cinema for the whole family.
Rated 14 Jan 2024
Pinocchio is still entertaining after all these years. The moral of the story is relatable in many ways even if some of the ways of conveying it are less modern. Unlike some other older Disney movies, Pinocchio isn't held back by any stark racism. The story does prefer working hard over more carnal, idle pursuits. The animation is vastly superior to Snow White's. I watched this with my 5-year-old and at times he was scared but overall he enjoyed it. It has the right mix of fun and fear.
Rated 18 May 2009
This was one of my favorite movies when I was a child. I don't remember why.
Rated 10 Jul 2009
Pinocchio is not one of my favorite Disney movies but it is still enjoyable overall.
Rated 31 Jul 2009
The animation is good, but even as a kid this wasn't really doing it for me.
Rated 18 Aug 2009
A Walt Disney Classic
Rated 27 Jun 2023
Pinocchio is prompted to temptations and succumb to them many times, ignoring the cricket, his conscience. He pays a high price for his disobedience. Yet, in the end, he redeems himself and proves himself worthy. It is a story about how it is important to resist temptations however attractive they may seem at times.
Rated 27 Feb 2013
Interesting, yet strange moral. Fantastic cartoon given it was made in 1940.
Rated 08 Dec 2009
3/5
Rated 24 Dec 2009
Cute when you're a kid. Needs a remake.
Rated 18 Aug 2018
rvw. i remember pretty early not liking it much as a kid, or the live action version lol. i liked the beginning a lot more now. and the theater. but the donkey and whale parts are dumb lool but cool. and most of the time he wasn't actually tempted he was just stupid
Rated 18 Mar 2022
See CosmicMonkey's review. Though I will say the "Monstro" whale sequence is incredible.
Rated 22 May 2014
Disturbing and beautiful.
Rated 27 Aug 2010
Pinocchio is scary
Rated 07 Sep 2010
A Disney classic I didn't enjoy. A haphazard story that seems to be missing much appeal.
Rated 25 Sep 2010
Classic Disney. Good animation, heartwarming tale and some thrills mixed in.
Rated 17 Feb 2018
Jiminy Cricket: "Well... guess he won't need me anymore. What does an actor want with a conscience, anyway?"
Rated 18 Mar 2011
a classic from disney
Rated 29 Mar 2011
Mabye I'm just harsh on old school Disney films, but I don't think most of them aged well.
Rated 16 Oct 2011
Not one of my favorite Disney movies, but I still dig it.
Rated 14 Sep 2022
Once was enough
Rated 05 Jul 2014
Preachy, racist, and creepy in ways it didn't intend. All the same, it doesn't exactly NOT work.
Rated 19 May 2017
Wonderful and mesmerizing story with lovable characters. The animation while not the best of Disney is still very beautiful and interesting, you can see how animators were already experimenting with new techniques. The soundtrack is very fitting and memorable, and Stromboli is one of the most intimidating villain of the franchise. Finally the film does't force its moral into the viewer, instead it shows what happens when you go astray of your path, even if you do it for innocent reasons.
Rated 25 Jun 2012
It's been a while since I watched an old Disney movie like this. Seeing this just recently, the animation was constantly impressing me, and I'd find myself gawking at things like animated water. The story might have been going all over the place, but it didn't really bother me to go along with it in this case.
Rated 11 Aug 2012
Classic, Must Watch Film.