Pirates of the Caribbean: On Stranger Tides
Pirates-of-the-Caribbean-On

Pirates of the Caribbean: On Stranger Tides

2011
Fantasy, Action
Jack Sparrow and Barbossa embark on a quest to find the elusive fountain of youth, only to discover that Blackbeard and his daughter are after it too. (imdb)
Amazon VideoApple TVDisney PlusGoogle Play MoviesVuduMicrosoft Store

It's boring stupid repetitive, boring stupid repetitive, boring stupid repetitive, boring stupid repetitive, boring stupid repetitive, boring stupid repetitive, boring stupid repetitive, boring stupid repetitive, boring stupid repetitive, boring stupid repetitive, boring stupid repetitive, boring stupid repetitive, boring stupid repetitive. Yeah, it's not even worth going into detail how big of a mess this is.
Surprisingly watchable, with little to hate. Rush is noticably lacking in zeal but who can blame him? Depp and Cruz do what they can with a so-so script luckily not completely devoid of gags, although they are in short supply. In a film often pushing lackluster, having few redeeming qualities (the mermaid scene was good), it's their energy which barely keeps everything afloat. Sparrow is, however, considerably less funny and endearing than we know he can be. A passable upswing for the franchise.
Clearly didn't make an effort, other than Lucas-raping the franchise, to engage an intellectually limited audience, so I don't see why I should waste my time on a review. I couldn't wait for this movie to end.
"Fourth time's a charm," said no one ever. Maybe Rocky. He kind of marble mouthed it.
It's no Curse of the Black Pearl, but I didn't hate it. Admittedly, I'm a huge sucker for adventure movies, of which there are maybe two a year, so I gotta take what I can get. While acknowledging its many flaws - i.e. the interminable missionary/mermaid romance - I enjoyed that the climactic sequence was more flesh-and-blood than At World's End's cartoon orgy, and Ian McShane as Blackbeard (although, sadly, he never calls Sparrow a cocksucker).

Submitted bydelizdeliz on 21 Apr 2011