Amazon VideoApple TVHuluGoogle Play MoviesVuduMicrosoft Store
Redbox

2020
Sci-fi, Suspense/Thriller
Possessor follows an agent who works for a secretive organization that uses brain-implant technology to inhabit other people's bodies - ultimately driving them to commit assassinations for high-paying clients. (imdb)
Amazon VideoApple TVHuluGoogle Play MoviesVuduMicrosoft Store
Redbox

I like my Cronenbergian body-controlling assassin movies like I like my coffee; bleak, emotionally distant and at times deeply uncomfortable with surges of intense violence. ...Man, I drink some weird fuckin' coffee.
Liked the cast and concept, could've lived without the Unrated version. An old man essay by Paxton: It's an odd thing to have grown up a gorehound and to be absolutely repulsed with today's horror. I think there's so much more hate behind what movies want to show you now. Tom Savini was excited to make things realistic and push boundaries but seemingly without loathing his audience, a more "look what I can do" approach than "bet you can't sit through this." Stupid when it's a Cronenberg, I know.
You'd be forgiven for thinking David Cronenberg is lying in a pod somewhere as his son's body goes to producer's meetings and sells them on themes of gender and identiy. Dad's face smirks as his son's body informs them that the gore, nudity and practical effects are necessary, really. And they're not even lying. Except then David wakes up and goes Damn, son, I never taught you THAT.
A grim look at the melding of our own identities with our work. The lack of freedom our work gives us and even if they do it's all the illusion of choice. How corporate identity has melded entirely with our own being. There's no escape.Technology is not inherently our friend. Progress is not inherently our friend. All these things need a firm guidance via the immortal science of Marxist Leninism and I have my doubts Visually stunning. Those colours! It is weird to see people vape in movies
Interesting, high-concept horror with some great ideas, made with a nice sense of style. Not wholly successful, but there was a lot going on under the surface, and even without that it was very watchable. It's very violent. I kind of wish I hadn't known who the director was before I watched it, because I ended up looking for comparisons in style and ideas throughout. Didn't really harm my enjoyment of the film, though. Worth a look.

22 Collections including 11 Collaborative and 11 Public